2019-2020 Liberty University (LUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has the school posted the match list or have it?
They haven't posted it yet but thankfully my daughter matched in her 1st choice--OB/GYN. :). Many of her friends matched in their 1st or 2nd choices from what I have heard.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Not sure what your purpose is in posting this. Yes, university presidents can make bad choices.

LUCOM has gone to online classes however, does not adhere to the same academic schedule as the main university, and makes it's own individual policies separate from the main university. I haven't heard Jerry Falwell Jr's name mentioned at the medical school since I started there. It's run by it's own board & directors.

Edited to add: Liberty has transitioned all of its coursework online, and gave students the option to do classes online at home or return, live in the dorms, & do classes online there. Exceptions have been made for the aviation and nursing programs, which have special requirements that must be fulfilled in person. One of the reasons LU made the decision to allow students to stay on campus is that they have a disproportionately large percentage of students whose family members live overseas, due to the large number of missionary family students. In many cases, these students were unable to return to where their families are staying, because of travel restrictions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
Not sure what your purpose is in posting this. Yes, university presidents can make bad choices.

LUCOM has gone to online classes however, does not adhere to the same academic schedule as the main university, and makes it's own individual policies separate from the main university. I haven't heard Jerry Falwell Jr's name mentioned at the medical school since I started there. It's run by it's own board & directors.

Edited to add: Liberty has transitioned all of its coursework online, and gave students the option to do classes online at home or return, live in the dorms, & do classes online there. Exceptions have been made for the aviation and nursing programs, which have special requirements that must be fulfilled in person. One of the reasons LU made the decision to allow students to stay on campus is that they have a disproportionately large percentage of students whose family members live overseas, due to the large number of missionary family students. In many cases, these students were unable to return to where their families are staying, because of travel restrictions.

I was perusing Twitter and saw Liberty was trending. My purpose in posting was to see what others thought and to see what LUCOM was doing. I wasn't aware LUCOM was run separately, thank you for that additional information.

It didn't cross my mind that many family members of Liberty students were missionaries. Makes sense. Falwell seems to be really downplaying the pandemic, though. Like you said, university presidents can make bad choices. This seems like a very bad choice.

Anyone know the match results for LUCOM?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
I have a question about housing, it looks like the lease dates at Oasis begin August 1st. I was hoping to have an apartment sometime July, since it looks like last year LUCOM did orientation at the end of July...plus I would like time to explore the area and get settled since I'm coming from out of state. Does anyone know if previous students have been able to successfully move into Oasis in July?

I have a question about housing, it looks like the lease dates at Oasis begin August 1st. I was hoping to have an apartment sometime July, since it looks like last year LUCOM did orientation at the end of July...plus I would like time to explore the area and get settled since I'm coming from out of state. Does anyone know if previous students have been able to successfully move into Oasis in July?
Do not move to the Oasis. I know it may be close, but it's literally party city. Plus the walls are super thin. Everyone I know who has lived there has regretted it. Look into apartments near Cornerstone like the Gables. You should also check out the Gables of Jefferson Park. Pretty much anywhere you go in Lynchburg will be a max 15 minute drive since LU is central to the city.

Is there a recommended health insurance plan to get at LUCOM? I used to get my insurance at my undergrad institution (like Aetna) since I would go out of state.

Is there a recommended health insurance plan to get at LUCOM? I used to get my insurance at my undergrad institution (like Aetna) since I would go out of state.

They don’t offer health insurance right now. I got a healthcare marketplace plan.

Do not move to the Oasis. I know it may be close, but it's literally party city. Plus the walls are super thin. Everyone I know who has lived there has regretted it. Look into apartments near Cornerstone like the Gables. You should also check out the Gables of Jefferson Park. Pretty much anywhere you go in Lynchburg will be a max 15 minute drive since LU is central to the city.
I thought such things were prohibited :rofl:

I thought such things were prohibited :rofl:
People still party, it's just not on as large of a scale. Not everyone at LU affirms the beliefs of the university, so you really can't expect them to abide by any of the rules put in place. If you live off campus, there really isn't anyone monitoring you to make sure you are following the rules. Just don't be stupid and post yourself drunk on social media, which should be said for any school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! I was just wondering how current students like the laptop given by LUCOM. I’ve heard people recommend getting a mac/iPad for first year, but I wanted to see whether this is really necessary. Is there any other resources you recommend getting ahead of time? Thanks!

Hi everyone! I was just wondering how current students like the laptop given by LUCOM. I’ve heard people recommend getting a mac/iPad for first year, but I wanted to see whether this is really necessary. Is there any other resources you recommend getting ahead of time? Thanks!

Love mine, but I have lots of classmates who came to school with a mac or iPad, and they've continued to use them but I haven't heard any complaints about the school computers. I haven't had any trouble out of mine, but LUCOM has their own tech support office and they're very helpful if you do have problems, plus they will do support for one personal device as well. You have to use the school issued laptop for all exams, so in my mind while a macbook Pro is nice, I couldn't justify the cost of an additional laptop. I had an iPad pro in grad school, but I never used it at LUCOM and I ended up giving it to my husband after a month or so. The laptops we get are 2-in-1s, so they operate as a laptop and tablet, and you can import lecture slides into OneNote and write on them just like an iPad. They come with a small stylus, but you can get a nicer pen-sized one online for $30, and I recommend it. You might want a wireless mouse if you really like using one...I have one but I don't use it much.

LUCOM provides almost all the textbooks you'll need for free through the online medical library, and there's a fairly generous printing allowance figured into your fees if you like to print things out and write on paper. If you don't use printing the fees are refunded to you at the end of the year. My advice would be to wait before purchasing extra resources, as they are often passed down between classes or provided by the school. Rarely you'll find something that needs to be purchased that you really like, but wait until someone offers a group discount...they get posted on the class facebook page frequently throughout the year (q-banks, board resources, etc).

Reactions: 4 users
Do you guys think orientation might get pushed back to August or be in late July like other years?

Do you guys think orientation might get pushed back to August or be in late July like other years?

I've heard nothing about moving it, and they haven't changed the dates on the website...I did look at my fall class schedule and it states classes are to begin 7/27/2020.

I've heard nothing about moving it, and they haven't changed the dates on the website...I did look at my fall class schedule and it states classes are to begin 7/27/2020.

Thank you so much!! You’ve been really helpful

I really hope they host a second visit day though. The one last week got cancelled

I really hope they host a second visit day though. The one last week got cancelled

As of right now the state of Virginia is under a stay at home order until June 10th, so unless something drastic happens and they do away with social distancing altogether at the federal level, I wouldn't expect to see a 2nd look day this year. 2nd look must be a new thing for LUCOM, they didn't do one last cycle.

Do you think they will push the deadline (May 1) for physical exam and vaccine titers because of the coronavirus?
I emailed them today with the concern and you have to have some sort of documentation to get it pushed back. But I'm hoping they just push it back in general!

Hey everyone!

Are there any current LUCOM students that I could talk to? I was grateful to have been accepted here, but I was concerned about how new the school is and any negative reputation that the school may have with its university affiliation. Also any pros/cons would be helpful too!

Thanks!

Hey everyone!

Are there any current LUCOM students that I could talk to? I was grateful to have been accepted here, but I was concerned about how new the school is and any negative reputation that the school may have with its university affiliation. Also any pros/cons would be helpful too!

Thanks!

current student, you can pm me or ask questions here.

Anyone know when the class of 2020 match list will be posted?

Anyone know when the class of 2020 match list will be posted?

Last year it was posted on 4/10, so they’re running a little behind this year, but no word on when it will actually come out. I have heard it’s their best match year so far, with 99+% matched/placed.

Sorry guys, but I’ve got another question has anyone been able to get an extension on their physical and immuzation deadlines?

Just FYI, the academic calendar is updated:

Also, if you're an accepted student please join the LUCOM Class of 2024 Facebook group. There will be lots of valuable information on there, and it is an excellent place to get your questions answered, as there are many current students active on there from all years, and it's a great place to find a roommate or ask questions about housing. It's also where your class will post shared study aids throughout the year.

Reactions: 2 users
What kind of laptop do they give you with the $1750 fee? Is it a good one? Is it mandated to use theirs or can you bring your own and forgo the fee?

What kind of laptop do they give you with the $1750 fee? Is it a good one? Is it mandated to use theirs or can you bring your own and forgo the fee?

My class and the classes before me got Lenovo Thinkpad Yogas. I like it, it’s a workhorse and I’ve had zero trouble out of it. My only complaint is that the stylus is small, so I got a regular pen sized one for $30. They also provide us with the full Office suite, so you get lots of cloud storage through OneDrive.

You can bring your own laptop if you prefer something different for taking notes, but you can only take exams on school-issued laptops, so the computer fee is mandatory. They do provide in house IT support, so if you wake up one day and your computer is dead, they’ll either repair or replace it, and you’ll get a loaner in the interim.

Probably a dumb question (hence why I am asking here and not the fb page) but do we need a stethoscope before classes start and is there a requirement as to which one/type?

Probably a dumb question (hence why I am asking here and not the fb page) but do we need a stethoscope before classes start and is there a requirement as to which one/type?

There will be an equipment meeting during Orientation. Everyone is given the opportunity to purchase a kit of all the necessary equipment at a discount, and a stethoscope is included in that kit. In addition to this an organization gave us all personalized stethoscopes at our white coat ceremony, although I'm not guaranteeing that happening every year. The only real requirements are that the stethoscope not be digital, and it needs to have a diaphragm and bell. I wouldn't buy one ahead of time, but if someone wants to give you a gift, go with a classic Littmann Cardiology.

Oasis is a great place to live! It is the closest apartment to the school, hands down. And yes there are apartments that party but these are the undergrads -- if you sign up for a 1BR or 2BR, you will rarely hear party noises. I live in a 2BR and I rarely hear my neighbors. (Note on the application that you want to be matched with a grad student and not an undergrad student...)

If you are a new tenant, it is their policy that you can move in on 8/1 and no earlier. So many students opt to stay at a nearby hotel for about a week before moving in. It is a bit of a hassle but overall I have liked my experience at the Oasis.

Do any current students have links to the online textbooks? Or at least the names of them to look up PDF versions? I saw above we get access to the books through the online library but I wanted to check them out beforehand!

Do any current students have links to the online textbooks? Or at least the names of them to look up PDF versions? I saw above we get access to the books through the online library but I wanted to check them out beforehand!

Fall OMS-1. I don’t know how helpful they will be though...most professors only use the textbooks as an extra resource if you need clarification for something, only a few have actual REQUIRED reading assignments.

Fall OMS-1. I don’t know how helpful they will be though...most professors only use the textbooks as an extra resource if you need clarification for something, only a few have actual REQUIRED reading assignments.

Thank you! good to know!

Does anyone know if LUCOM gives out merit-based scholarships? I've been accepted to three schools, but ultimately settled on LUCOM because my fiance got a job at LU that will pay for her graduate school. One of the other schools I got accepted to has put together a good financial aid package. It seems like most DO programs don't give out any scholarships, while most MD programs are giving out significant amounts of scholarship money. I just want to know if anyone has been able to get anything out of LUCOM. If so, I can begin pushing them for it.

Does anyone know if LUCOM gives out merit-based scholarships? I've been accepted to three schools, but ultimately settled on LUCOM because my fiance got a job at LU that will pay for her graduate school. One of the other schools I got accepted to has put together a good financial aid package. It seems like most DO programs don't give out any scholarships, while most MD programs are giving out significant amounts of scholarship money. I just want to know if anyone has been able to get anything out of LUCOM. If so, I can begin pushing them for it.

they do not give out merit scholarships, sadly.

Wow that is crazy, I am in almost exactly the same boat. My fiancé also works at LU and I picked LUCOM over another school that had SIGNIFICANT merit based scholarships.

Does anyone know when the refunds from financial aid will be distributed?

Does anyone know when the refunds from financial aid will be distributed?

They send you information to have the money direct deposited into a bank account or a BankMobile account, or they mail you a paper check. Last year fall refunds were issued about 4 weeks into the school year, but there was a waiver you could fill out to get some of it early to cover first month costs.

Is pharmacology spread throughout the curriculum? I didn't see it specifically stated anywhere but I could be wrong.

I was wondering if a current student could weigh in on how LUCOM handled the Coronavirus? Just curious how classes were handled since it’s suggested we might have to take all the same precautions come fall. Specifically how did it impact labs?

Is pharmacology spread throughout the curriculum? I didn't see it specifically stated anywhere but I could be wrong.
LUCOM covers material in systems (after BFOM), so pharmacology is spread throughout each system.

I was wondering if a current student could weigh in on how LUCOM handled the Coronavirus? Just curious how classes were handled since it’s suggested we might have to take all the same precautions come fall. Specifically how did it impact labs?

They switched to online classes in March, and have done online lab quizzes and videos the anatomy lab faculty makes. We have received no information about being online for the fall, however, contingency plans are being put in place for all possibilities.

The first block is BFOM which only has PCM and OMM labs, and will last from the first day until early September. After that gross anatomy lab starts in IMSK, at which time we will know much more about social distancing precautions that must be taken. Labs are already broken up into groups of 80, so they could theoretically be broken down into more lab groups of 40 or 20 if necessary, the scheduling would just be trickier.