2019-2020 Liberty University (LUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone, have people that interviewed towards the end of January heard back?

Members don't see this ad.

Just interviewed here. I had a good experience and was overall impressed by the program. Feel free to ask any questions!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone, after a long journey, I am happy to report that I have been accepted. This feeling is absolutely surreal, and I'm so excited to be counted as another student doctor among such a wonderful community. Thank you all for your support thus far! To those who are still waiting, keep your chin up and fight for your dream! All the tears and sweat you have put thus far mean something and will contribute to reaching your dream of being a physician. Best of luck to everyone!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Hi everyone, after a long journey, I am happy to report that I have been accepted. This feeling is absolutely surreal, and I'm so excited to be counted as another student doctor among such a wonderful community. Thank you all for your support thus far! To those who are still waiting, keep your chin up and fight for your dream! All the tears and sweat you have put thus far mean something and will contribute to reaching your dream of being a physician. Best of luck to everyone!!
I feel like I have see you before.......

Would any current students be willing to answer some of my questions about the school and how they felt their experiences are/were as well as their interviews?

Would any current students be willing to answer some of my questions about the school and how they felt their experiences are/were as well as their interviews?
Hi. I don’t attend but interviewed recently. Would be glad to answer some Qs

Hi guys, does anyone know the drug screen 10dsp/exp opi/oxy/phn mean. I just drank one can of beer(100ml) the day before it is ok?

It's a 10 panel drug screen...some of those detect alcohol, some don't. Alcohol is a legal substance if you're over 21, and is absent from the urine in less than 24 hours. That being said...why on earth would you drink the day before giving a sample of any kind that will be analyzed?

Hello, long-time lurker, first time posting.
I interviewed here recently, and was told that Dr. Patton will call you if you are accepted or wait-listed. If you don't get a call is it safe to assume that its an R?
Thanks!

Hello, long-time lurker, first time posting.
I interviewed here recently, and was told that Dr. Patton will call you if you are accepted or wait-listed. If you don't get a call is it safe to assume that its an R?
Thanks!

How long ago was your interview?

It was just earlier this week, but I was told they would call on Friday, today. I will be patient, just feeling anxious about it.

I wouldn't assume a rejection as of today, since you interviewed so recently. You might be able to get some information from ASIST under student > applicant status at the very bottom. I don't know if it lists waitlist decisions, but I do know it will show 'accept' if you're accepted.

www.mylu.liberty.edu

On the dashboard, go to access > assist > student > applicant status

I wouldn't assume a rejection as of today, since you interviewed so recently. You might be able to get some information from ASIST under student > applicant status at the very bottom. I don't know if it lists waitlist decisions, but I do know it will show 'accept' if you're accepted.

www.mylu.liberty.edu

On the dashboard, go to access > assist > student > applicant status

Thank you, I didn't know about that page! Right now it says "PV Pending Interview" I suppose it means they just haven't decided on me yet? Though all the way at the bottom under financial aid requirements it says "Student's Proof of Citizenship Status" and the status is Requested as of today's date. Is that a good sign?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you, I didn't know about that page! Right now it says "PV Pending Interview" I suppose it means they just haven't decided on me yet? Though all the way at the bottom under financial aid requirements it says "Student's Proof of Citizenship Status" and the status is Requested as of today's date. Is that a good sign?

I'm not sure, I never had that request on my account when I applied last year...but I had already sent my FAFSA to LUCOM before I received my acceptance, so maybe that's why. Are you a US Citizen?

I don't see anyone else on here asking about acceptances or saying they received phone calls today, either. It could be that the committee didn't get to your group today. If they're evaluating ~3 weeks of applicants/interviews, they may not have made it all the way to your group before they finished the meeting. Or they may have not made it all the way through their phone calls before it got too late. I remember I was called on a Thursday afternoon (like 2 pm Central time) when I was accepted.

Keep an eye on your Liberty email & student checklist. If you're accepted the locked items on the checklist will unlock for things like background check, immunization records, proof of insurance, etc.

I'm not sure, I never had that request on my account when I applied last year...but I had already sent my FAFSA to LUCOM before I received my acceptance, so maybe that's why. Are you a US Citizen?

I don't see anyone else on here asking about acceptances or saying they received phone calls today, either. It could be that the committee didn't get to your group today. If they're evaluating ~3 weeks of applicants/interviews, they may not have made it all the way to your group before they finished the meeting. Or they may have not made it all the way through their phone calls before it got too late. I remember I was called on a Thursday afternoon (like 2 pm Central time) when I was accepted.

Keep an eye on your Liberty email & student checklist. If you're accepted the locked items on the checklist will unlock for things like background check, immunization records, proof of insurance, etc.

I've already sent my FAFSA. Yes I'm a US citizen, but I was born outside of the US, so I think they want a copy of my passport. I'll definitely keep checking, thank you!

I wouldn't get too worried about it. Wait another week and see what happens. You have to remember that they do interviews two days per week, so if something happens Friday, you might not hear back until Monday or Tuesday. I interviewed on a Friday, got a phone call on a Thursday, called them back immediately, then called again the next day and got nothing. Then Tuesday they called me with my acceptance. The entire application process is nowhere near to as organized as we would like it to be.

Rejected! Look in ASIST but also shoot admissions an email. My stats are somewhat competitive for them so I suspect I wasn’t quite the right “fit,” for them which is fair. I think simply agreeing with their vision isn’t enough unless your stats are stellar (I’m assuming).

I was impressed with the program so hopefully some of you will get in.

Rejected! Look in ASIST but also shoot admissions an email. My stats are somewhat competitive for them so I suspect I wasn’t quite the right “fit,” for them which is fair. I think simply agreeing with their vision isn’t enough unless your stats are stellar (I’m assuming).

I was impressed with the program so hopefully some of you will get in.
Do you mind sharing your stat?

I've been accepted! Sorry for the neurotic posts that I made earlier, I was just feeling anxious lol. I'll be attending Liberty if I am not accepted at UNECOM, which I also interviewed at about a week and a half ago. My stats are MCAT 501, GPA 3.46 (with >3.7 for the last 3 semesters), URM, OOS. I've also been working as a scribe for years, and have several undergrad research and volunteer experiences, which my interviewers seemed to really like.

How did you find out you were accepted? Was it through ASIST or did you get a call?

I got the call earlier today. My ASIST now says accept as well. I'm just not seeing where/how to pay the deposit.

I got the call earlier today. My ASIST now says accept as well. I'm just not seeing where/how to pay the deposit.
You’ll get an email about the deposit. It was the day after my acceptance call last year. Congrats!

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted!! Still can't believe it. Got the call yesterday evening. Good luck to everyone still waiting for the call!

Reactions: 5 users
Hi everyone!! What are some recommendations for places to live in Lynchburg?

How come I added the LUCOM 2024 facebook page I still cannot see other member and ask question?

Anyone know what laptops the incoming class will be getting?

Anyone know what laptops the incoming class will be getting?

I can tell you the previous few classes have all gotten Lenovo Yoga Thinkpad L380s. The IT dept is very helpful with getting everything set up, and I've had zero trouble out of mine.

Accepted today! So so happy

II today (at 2am haha). Application complete 11/1/19. Turning down interview due to having acceptances elsewhere. Good luck to everyone!

Just got waitlisted at my number one choice. Will most likely be pulling the trigger on LUCOM. Went to Liberty for undergrad. If anyone has questions about where to live or the school in general let me know.

Just got waitlisted at my number one choice. Will most likely be pulling the trigger on LUCOM. Went to Liberty for undergrad. If anyone has questions about where to live or the school in general let me know.
Can I pm you

Any acceptance updates? I just interviewed at Liberty recently and it blew me away. Would be so excited to go here!

I'm in the exact same position, waitlisted at my number one, and probably gonna commit to LUCOM.

I've paid my deposit and committed to LUCOM. I'm pretty excited to start. Can any current students explain what their schedule is like?

I've paid my deposit and committed to LUCOM. I'm pretty excited to start. Can any current students explain what their schedule is like?

congrats!

Classes are M-F 8-12, break from 12-1 for lunch. They try very hard not to have more than 5 hours of lecture per day, and Wednesday from 11-12 we have optional Convocation service.

WednesdayOMS-1 has OMM lab either from 1-3 or 3-5 based on which group you’re in (X or Y), and thursdays PCM lab the same way. Times are switched every week so one group doesn’t always have the early or late labs.

BFOM is the first block, 6 weeks long, and covers biochem, immuno, micro, genetics, and cell bio. After that the fall blocks are IMSK and CVRH. PCM and OMM run the entire semester, and ethics (HME) is roughly once a month.

Core block lectures are mostly not mandatory (with a few exceptions), PCM, OMM, and HME lectures and labs are mandatory.

Gross Anatomy lab starts with IMSK.

congrats!

Classes are M-F 8-12, break from 12-1 for lunch. They try very hard not to have more than 5 hours of lecture per day, and Wednesday from 11-12 we have optional Convocation service.

WednesdayOMS-1 has OMM lab either from 1-3 or 3-5 based on which group you’re in (X or Y), and thursdays PCM lab the same way. Times are switched every week so one group doesn’t always have the early or late labs.

BFOM is the first block, 6 weeks long, and covers biochem, immuno, micro, genetics, and cell bio. After that the fall blocks are IMSK and CVRH. PCM and OMM run the entire semester, and ethics (HME) is roughly once a month.

Core block lectures are mostly not mandatory (with a few exceptions), PCM, OMM, and HME lectures and labs are mandatory.

Gross Anatomy lab starts with IMSK.

Thank you, that's really helpful! Sorry if its a silly question, but the school will send you a schedule with times and location for everything right? Also, is it better to take notes in lecture on your laptop, or written in a notebook? What are some things that we need to buy before school starts?

Thank you, that's really helpful! Sorry if its a silly question, but the school will send you a schedule with times and location for everything right? Also, is it better to take notes in lecture on your laptop, or written in a notebook? What are some things that we need to buy before school starts?

During orientation week you’ll be told everything you need to know about schedules, classes, exams etc. You should receive an email about orientation once they set the dates. Expect orientation to start around July 21st. Classes start July 27th.

notes are highly subjective, do whatever you feel comfortable doing in the beginning but be prepared to adjust as the volume increases. They ease you into the first few weeks.

You’ll receive a laptop, class shirt, white coat and lab coat during orientation. Things you’ll need before classes start: gym clothes for OMM/PCM labs (shorts or sweats,T-shirt, tennis shoes, non-racer back sports bra for the women), business casual clothes for required lectures/class, a pair of khakis for the class photo.

If you want to go ahead and buy cheap scrubs & tennis shoes for anatomy lab you can, but don’t buy figs or anything expensive because it’s likely you’ll want to burn them after anatomy.

I know it all seems daunting and feels like you’re going in blind, but they really do hold your hand through everything. I cannot recall any situation first year that I had to walk into without someone first telling us exactly what was going to happen, what was expected of us, etc every step of the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shoot that sucks that the white coat ceremony is a month after orientation.

Yeah, they changed it last year but I’m not sure why. If your family is in town during orientation week, they do a picnic and an open house at the end of the week for family. A lot of people’s families just came back for White Coat.

Do you think they will push the deadline (May 1) for physical exam and vaccine titers because of the coronavirus?

Do you think they will push the deadline (May 1) for physical exam and vaccine titers because of the coronavirus?
I think that they have to do that because so many offices are closed for non-emergent cases. In fact, I'm sure most of the deadlines will get pushed back. Our only job right now is making sure we're alive for the fall :eek:

Email them and explain the issues you’re running into with obtaining vaccines and titers. They’ll give you an extension, I had to have one last year.