2019-2020 Liberty University (LUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got an interview invite today!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Can you share when you were complete? It would be appreciated! :)

I interviewed at Liberty on 11/7, and I felt that they blew away the rest of the competition. The staff was so personable and so willing to help. I walked away with the impression that this program will provide me with everything that I need to thrive as a medical student. I recieved an acceptance phone call on 11/12, and I plan on attending. My best mcat score was 505, science gpa was 3.5 something, and my overall gpa was towards the higher end of a 3.4. I was complete towards the end of July with everything except my casper test.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Withdrawing my interview invite due to other acceptances, hope the interview date (01/06) goes to one of you!

I’m really happy with my decision to attend LUCOM. I just finished my second year and start rotations. The faculty and students are super supportive. Many classmates share resources (like study guides they’ve made) and are just overall encouraging. Overall, I liked second year much more than first year. Anatomy lab just wasn’t something I was good at nor enjoyed too much. But the anatomy lab is super nice and new and the anatomy professors are awesome. You learn so much in the lab. For rotations, I don’t know too much but I’ve heard mostly good things from upper Classmen.

Some of my biggest regrets are not being involved more in clubs and interest groups, not going on the Appalachian trail more (since you can get on it about 30 minutes outside of campus), and not taking some courses as seriously as I needed to.

You typically have lecture 8-12 M-F with only a few of them being mandatory. Labs are from 1-3 or 3-5. sometimes you have a full afternoon off, sometimes you have lecture, sometimes you have one lab, sometimes you have two labs back to back. But the only time we’ve had lecture past 5 was for making up a snow day. You can watch lecture online (it usually posts soon after the lecture ends. But I’d advise going to lecture atleast the first few weeks so you can see if it is beneficial for your learning style). Labs include anatomy, OMM skills, and our patient centered medicine clinical skills.

You have exams every other Monday on average in your first year and pretty much every Monday during second year. exams are online through a computer you purchase through the school.

There is a small cafeteria at the medical school. It sells sandwhiches, soups, and some pre made meals. I’d advise packing your own most days since it costs money. Definitely get some flames cash if you buy from the cafeteria often. You can add money to your student ID (you can add as much as you want and it is used like a debit card) and you get like a 5-10% discount on purchases there.

I know it’s always a question: but I don’t know how well prepared I was for boards. I did feel good leaving the COMLEX. I was doing well on practice questions and felt well prepared to study for boards. So I feel like I was prepared well for boards. I’m just not 100% sure since I haven’t gotten my score back. But I’m super happy with how I think my COMLEX went.

I know you have lots of questions but I tried to answer some of the more common ones.

Would you mind posting a few thoughts on your rotations so far?

Has anyone who interviewed after 11/07 received any news? I know they said it might be a while because it was Thanksgiving period but a month seems a bit unusual for Liberty.

I interviewed 11/22 and I was told I would receive a decision on December 6.

Does anyone know if liberty gives their new students a computer or anything similar?

I’M ACCEPTED! I got the call around 4pm!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed 11/21, accepted today!

Liberty by far exceeded expectations.. I had heard the same thing on SDN and reddit as many of you all have and I can confidently say I do not believe a word of it. After visiting this school quickly became my top choice, and I will be turning down multiple other acceptances to attend this program. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 7 users
Accepted today!!!
Interviewed 11/22

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know what brand of computers are given to students?

Last edited by a moderator:
Firstly, good luck to everyone in this cycle! For those who may be looking at LUCOM as a top-choice, I will be declining my seat and pray that it goes to the person who it is destined for!

I feel as though I might have had a very unique experience during my interview. From the very beginning, I was incredibly excited to attend this interview. I am kind of from two places: North Carolina and DC/Maryland. The area was great, the medical school seemed to have a great reputation, I was in line with the mission, AND I had a great impression with Mr. Ousley going out of his way to help me with my experience. Coincidentally, my interviewers couldn't have been better matched for me. They both came from backgrounds that I was very versed in and aspired to pull into my own medical practice. So why decline after all of that? Below, I will list out my pros and cons. Again, I do not expect this to be a common perspective, but the cons (especially the last one) were very personal to me and it is ultimately why I am declining my offer.

PROS
- beautiful environment: being stuck in Texas for the last year and a half, seeing the lovely changing leaves and the mountains I missed so much was breathtaking. I wanted to stay there for a few more days.
- access to the undergraduate campus: has many resources (academic and activity-wise) to offer
- teaching staff: seemed very friendly (but slightly introverted, except for one) and primarily focus on teaching
- locals are friendly
- way more to do in Lynchburg than you would think by looking at the map
- close to both sides of my family (5-6 hours from both)
- very nice facilities and studying resources for students
- intimate opportunities to work with children and families in the community: I actually love how the school forces you to stay active in the community during a time when you might forget about that area of your passion; they also provide plenty of opportunities for you to fulfill this requirement

CONS
- introvertedness of the environment: everyone seemed friendly, but not necessarily open. Coming from an HBCU, I was used to a lot more cultural flare and students who just seem excited about life... that's a hard one to explain, but I did not feel like I would fit in. This was backed up by the group I interviewed with. It was the meekest group I'd been with. Not only that, but they seemed very closed in and not exploratory at all (besides literally one other person). I stood out a lot and this made me wonder how the class dynamics would be. Of course, this can change group-by-group, but it had me thinking...
- The environment was slightly stiff. Because of my discernment, I find this a lot in Christian environments, even though it should be the opposite experience. If this school was a church, I would consider it religious and lacking spirituality. Again, it's so hard to explain.
- this is the first and only interview where I felt like I was being "sold" the school and was exhausted by the time I left
- a sense of narcissism: this is even more difficult to explain, but I grew up with mental and emotional abuse in my home due to a step-father with a narcissistic personality disorder. If I pick up on that from anyone around me, it's pretty much a wrap. Unfortunately, I did get this vibe from two staff members, but one was extremely obvious to me. Because of this, I did not trust the environment. Sounds crazy, but one is enough for me. Narcissism affects everything it touches and I'm unwilling to take the risk after going through years of trials/tribulations to finally get to this point.

DISCLAIMER
My comparison of this school to a church is, by no way, saying that they function anything like a church. They are very open to everyone and there is absolutely no issues with those who are not religious (or spiritual for that matter). It was just an example that some might be able to relate to, which gives an environmental depiction of the school's environment.

Primary Completed: 7/30
Secondary Offered: 8/22
Secondary Completed: 8/29 (late due to personal emergency)
Interview Invite: 10/30
Interview Date: 11/21 (after working with Mr. Barry Ousley to get the soonest date - he personally emailed me with updates, amazing!)
Acceptance: 12/4
Deposit Due: 1/18
Declined: 12/14

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Firstly, good luck to everyone in this cycle! For those who may be looking at LUCOM as a top-choice, I will be declining my seat and pray that it goes to the person who it is destined for!

I feel as though I might have had a very unique experience during my interview. From the very beginning, I was incredibly excited to attend this interview. I am kind of from two places: North Carolina and DC/Maryland. The area was great, the medical school seemed to have a great reputation, I was in line with the mission, AND I had a great impression with Mr. Ousley going out of his way to help me with my experience. Coincidentally, my interviewers couldn't have been better matched for me. They both came from backgrounds that I was very versed in and aspired to pull into my own medical practice. So why decline after all of that? Below, I will list out my pros and cons. Again, I do not expect this to be a common perspective, but the cons (especially the last one) were very personal to me and it is ultimately why I am declining my offer.

PROS
- beautiful environment: being stuck in Texas for the last year and a half, seeing the lovely changing leaves and the mountains I missed so much was breathtaking. I wanted to stay there for a few more days.
- access to the undergraduate campus: has many resources (academic and activity-wise) to offer
- teaching staff: seemed very friendly (but slightly introverted, except for one) and primarily focus on teaching
- locals are friendly
- intimate opportunities to work with children and families in the community: I actually love how the school forces you to stay active in the community during a time when you might forget about that area of your passion; they also provide plenty of opportunities for you to fulfill this requirement

CONS
- introvertedness of the environment: everyone seemed friendly, but not necessarily open. Coming from an HBCU, I was used to a lot more cultural flare and students who just seem excited about life... that's a hard one to explain, but I did not feel like I would fit in. This was backed up by the group I interviewed with. It was the meekest group I'd been with. Not only that, but they seemed very closed in and not exploratory at all (besides literally one other person). I stood out a lot and this made me wonder how the class dynamics would be. Of course, this can change group-by-group, but it had me thinking...
- The environment was slightly stiff. Because of my discernment, I find this a lot in Christian environments, even though it should be the opposite experience. If this school was a church, I would consider it religious and lacking spirituality. Again, it's so hard to explain.
- this is the first and only interview where I felt like I was being "sold" the school and was exhausted by the time I left
- a sense of narcissism: this is even more difficult to explain, but I grew up with mental and emotional abuse in my home due to a step-father with a narcissistic personality disorder. If I pick up on that from anyone around me, it's pretty much a wrap. Unfortunately, I did get this vibe from two staff members, but one was extremely obvious to me. Because of this, I did not trust the environment. Sounds crazy, but one is enough for me. Narcissism affects everything it touches and I'm unwilling to take the risk after going through years of trials/tribulations to finally get to this point.

DISCLAIMER
My comparison of this school to a church is, by no way, saying that they function anything like a church. They are very open to everyone and there is absolutely no issues with those who are not religious (or spiritual for that matter). It was just an example that some might be able to relate to, which gives an environmental depiction of the school's environment.

Interview Date: 11/21 (after working with Mr. Barry Ousley to get the soonest date - he personally emailed me with updates, amazing!)
Declined: 12/13
I'm sorry that you had negative experiences at LUCOM. If you'd like to DM and discuss your experience further, I'm open to listening. I saw that you declined 12/13, but if you haven't officially declined, I'm here.

I'm sorry that you had negative experiences at LUCOM. If you'd like to DM and discuss your experience further, I'm open to listening. I saw that you declined 12/13, but if you haven't officially declined, I'm here.
Thank you for reaching out! I have already declined my seat (today actually- I need to update that) and definitely believe someone else deserves it. I wouldn't necessarily say it was a negative experience. I would do nothing but encourage someone to interview at LUCOM and attend if they fell in love with it. I think it is definitely the right place for many people who attend there - I know of many people who absolutely love LUCOM and are exactly where God wants them. Unfortunately, very personal disagreements made it not the place for me. I simply believe it is important to share my experience with anyone who may relate. Sometimes, we speak too surface level on these types of things, but I didn't want to do that because it doesn't do justice for those who may have had a similar feeling. I was incredibly surprised I felt the way I did. I was hoping the LUCOM would be the one!

Last edited:
Any advice on how to get off the waitlist?

Keep in touch with the school, updates, calls to Dr. Patton, etc. Be respectful, but regularly express your continued interest. Good luck!

Does anyone know if LuCOM accepts online labs for organic Chemistry? Specifically from UNE??

Is there a social event or anything the night before interviews? I interview Jan 6th.

PROS
- locals are friendly
- very nice facilities and studying resources for students

CONS

DISCLAIMER

Declined: 12/14

Do you mind me asking where else you were accepted and where you decided to go? Thanks!

Interview invite yesterday, Interview on Monday! Is that the shortest wait time you've ever heard? Haha

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Declining my acceptance, good luck everyone!

Declining my acceptance, good luck everyone!

Declining for any reason related to LUCOM or just got in somewhere you preferred more?

Declining for any reason related to LUCOM or just got in somewhere you preferred more?

I was also accepted at Campbell University and have decided to attend there. After a lot of research and asking people on here, CUSOM seemed to be the better choice for me!

Keep in touch with the school, updates, calls to Dr. Patton, etc. Be respectful, but regularly express your continued interest. Good luck!
Was waitlisted a couple months ago, does anyone know when typically it starts to move/chances of getting off?

Was waitlisted a couple months ago, does anyone know when typically it starts to move/chances of getting off?
They'll pull from the waitlist into July. One of our most successful current classmates was called in from the waitlist 12 days before orientation. Hang in there!

When I interviewed last year the waitlist acceptance rate was pretty high. Per the AACOMAS Traffic Guidelines, students accepted after January 15th have 14 days to make a decision about a school, so waitlist movement should pick up pretty soon. Last year LUCOM interviewed into early April.

Does anyone know how we go about finding housing and apartment mates for OOS residents?

Has the class facebook page been created yet?
Yes...last I checked there weren't a lot of members yet, but activity will be picking up soon, as people start making their final decisions. You'll have to request to join and be approved by someone at LUCOM, and there will be people in the group from the years above you, as well as some of the academic counselors to answer questions.

Fwiw, housing options aren't going to be taking applications this early, but you can definitely start putting feelers out for a roommate or housing recommendations. We signed our lease at the end of last May and moved over the summer, but many classmates moved in about 2 weeks before classes started.

Any seat left for this school? Am I interview for a waitlist?

If they are interviewing you, it is for possible acceptance, even if you get waitlisted at first. They just don’t interview for no reason. So yes, there will be seats until the end of the season as more and more people decline acceptances.

Last cycle they interviewed into early April and accepted into June. I interviewed last February and was offered a spot a week later.