2019-2020 Medical College of Wisconsin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got the small pool email this morning, what’s the consensus on this? Has anyone gotten this email and ended up not getting an II? Hate to be neurotic but I love this school haha
IIRC the email says that not everyone who gets a small pool email gets an II but it is definitely much more likely.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
IIRC the email says that not everyone who gets a small pool email gets an II but it is definitely much more likely.
But weren't there people who got IIs without the small pool email too?

Members don't see this ad :)
II right now wtf lol

OOS

Reactions: 6 users
Congrats! Complete date?

Also MCW feel free to hit me up any time ool

7/7, Not really following this thread all that much so not sure if people have been getting interviews recently from early complete dates, so never count yourself out!

Hoping you hear from them soon google12!

II right now wtf lol

OOS
Congrats! Do you mind sharing stats? Knowing stats along with complete date can help us neurotically guess what their stratification system might be

Congrats! Do you mind sharing stats? Knowing stats along with complete date can help us neurotically guess what their stratification system might be

Sure!

My LizzyM is ~70. Don't want to go into specifics, but hope that helps! Also kind of funny how we have the exact same number of primaries, secondaries, and II's haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sure!

My LizzyM is ~70. Don't want to go into specifics, but hope that helps! Also kind of funny how we have the exact same number of primaries, secondaries, and II's haha.
Woah that's nuts I didn't notice that! You got stats on me though (as do most people)!

I'm not familiar with that, what is the small pool email?

They’ve been sending an email to some people that you’ve made it past the initial application review and are now in the group of applicants who they’ll select to interview. Just trying to see the correlation of this with a real II lol

Just got the small pool email. Hope this means good things to come??

They’ve been sending an email to some people that you’ve made it past the initial application review and are now in the group of applicants who they’ll select to interview. Just trying to see the correlation of this with a real II lol

Never got that email, just straight up sent me an email with an interview invitation.

Step prep was largely hands off - there was a peer-to-peer program run by the school to connect 3rd/4th years with second years throughout 2nd year to hit on high yield topics for STEP 1 - it was a small group session (think 2-3 upperclassmen to 4 underclassmen). They also go easy on the last block of 2nd year and allow 2-3(?) weeks off during that summer for dedicated. You can also take a total of 3 months of vacation in one-month blocks split between your third and fourth years. Some people used 1 month of their vacation time to take off for studying for STEP 1 but it's not entirely needed unless you're behind on prep (e.g. you barely did any studying before dedicated hits). As far as how prepared the lectures themselves will make you feel - moderately helpful, but probably on par with most other medical schools? You will definitely have some lectures that are not going to even come close to any high yield topics. As long as you learn Anki early on and start using UFAPS during second year, most people will do very well.

I was in APAMSA (Asian Pacific Medical Student Association), did the summer research program, and did a few shifts at the free clinic downtown (which I think 99% of people do as well). I was also in the research pathway which is more of a class than a program.

Best parts - Collegiality among the class. Everyone seems to want to help each other out with learning even though it's still graded and not pass/fail. The location is pretty nice - you're close enough to Chicago and downtown Milwaukee while still having a little more suburb-feel around the medical campus. Rent is cheaper compared to big cities as well - I payed a hair under $400/mo throughout school living 2 miles away. If you want to rent a room in a house within 0.5 miles of the school, you might pay 600-800 + utilities for one bedroom of a 2 bed / 1 bath shared with a classmate. There are also a little more bougie apartments in Wauwatosa within 1-2 miles if you want to pay 1200-1500/mo. The peer to peer tutoring from 1st year basic science/phys and 2nd year pathology was pretty nice and I definitely utilized it. Ample exposure to most all specialties if you want to explore a competitive field.

Worst parts - The free on-campus gym is terrible and not well maintained. It seems like such a small thing, but if you are into fitness/working out at all you have to spend $50+/mo to workout at the gym across the street - an expense that builds up if you're already cash strapped and living off of loans. Adding to that, tuition is pretty expensive and the quality is perhaps a little better than UW-Madison which is MUCH less for an in-state student. I would say it's not a great value if you're in-state compared to UW. Student support for the match is mediocre, and I know about 10 of our ~190 student class had to SOAP - including me who applied to a below average specialty with a 235-245 STEP 1 score range. There isn't really the big names or reputation at MCW to help you get into the higher-tier residency programs without extremely good stats. Now I will point out that 180/190 match rate is like 95% success which is good, but it really sucks being in part of the 5% that did not match.

Hope this helps, and feel free to ask any follow-up questions or anything else about the school!

The match rates for the last 2 classes were 100%, or so they say.

I’m an M1 from Cali, but so far I’m extremely happy to be here! I’m also happy to answer any questions.

II this morning, OOS. Wausau Campus. Very excited!

Reactions: 7 users
Milwaukee peeps - are any of our two interviews with students?

Is there anyone on the thread that can help me find information on the USMLE Step 1 & 2 scores for the regional campuses? I know the campuses are pretty new, but am hoping the data is published.

II received. OOS, and never received small pool email. Thought I was out of the running already.
Don't lose hope if you didn't get that email!

Reactions: 8 users
I was placed on interview waitlist Sept13.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey, thanks for providing this. Couple of questions .

1) you said that you get 3 months vacation time between years 3-4 but say we can use one month of it for step studying... isn’t that technically between years 2-3? So how does that work?

2) how early do most students start studying for STEP?

3) I thought the curriculum was P/F? Pretty sure I read that on MSAR

Hey Doc, replying to a few of your questions:

1) yes you can store luggage during interview
2) we are P/F now but that's brand new with my class (M1 here)
3) I can't speak TOO much about step prep yet but I know a few M2s who are already having biweekly group study sessions for it and our academic enhancement office is amazing with supporting student success.

As for what drew me to MCW, the faculty:student ratio is amazing. I've already found multiple physicians to shadow/do research with so it's nice for once that I'm able to be kind of picky and see what I'm most interested in doing. Everyone is super happy and excited to have students because all of our doctors, PhDs, etc. are TEACHING faculty... that's not the case everywhere. Also, being a stand-alone med school, you don't have to fight with other gunner pre-meds for shadowing/research opportunities. So overall I think the community is what I liked best and why I chose MCW. I love it here. Like so much.

Got an II here last night at 10pm lol. No small pool email, complete 7/2, LM ~70.

Reactions: 5 users
Just got the small pool email. Cool beans

Reactions: 1 users
Does MCW accept updates? I didn't see any information on their website.

youll live with 5 II
Sorry honestly didn't mean to sound sarcastic. I recognize I'm very lucky to be in this position. Of course, there are a lot of things I really like about MCW (specifically the global health trac), so I am happy to have moved forward with what sounds like a good notification

Reactions: 4 users
Small pool email, OOS. Is it common for people to get off the interview waitlist?

Received my first II from MCW yesterday! OOS LM ~72 Complete on 7/30 and got the small pool email 9/4. Good luck everybody!

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
Received my first II from MCW yesterday! OOS LM ~72 Complete on 7/30 and got the small pool email 9/4. Good luck everybody!

Congrats! I’m sure you’ll be receiving more!
And thank you for including all of your demographics in the post so people aren’t incessantly asking hahaha

II today! OOS. There are only 3 interview dates available I see at the moment. Does that mean more are going to open later or does that mean the rest are filled already for the rest of the cycle?

Reactions: 3 users