This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Secondary prompts:
1) Describe a time when you faced a challenging, but important, learning opportunity. Include your approach and resources used to pursue this challenge. What did you learn about yourself and your approach to learning from this experience? What, if anything would you do differently? Please limit your response to 250 words or less
2) Discuss a time when you stepped out of your comfort zone. What were the challenges? What did you learn? Please limit your response to 250 words or less.
3) If you could present yourself to the Committee on Admissions, what would you want to make sure they knew about you? Please limit your response to 250 words or less.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Michigan State University

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Good luck to everyone! let us know when you receive your secondary!

Reactions: 2 users
Did you complete a formal Post Bac Program (not including Master's Degree programs)?
*Does a Post Bac Program at the NIH count? It is not a traditional Post Bac Program because you are not taking classes. Instead, you have a full-time, salaried job in research. I am unsure of how to answer this question.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you complete a formal Post Bac Program (not including Master's Degree programs)?
*Does a Post Bac Program at the NIH count? It is not a traditional Post Bac Program because you are not taking classes. Instead, you have a full-time, salaried job in research. I am unsure of how to answer this question.
Did you already receive a secondary? If so, could you please post the questions! :)

Yes. Sorry about delay!
1. Comment on how you hope to impact medicine in the future. If examples are needed, feel free to refer to our eight Paths of Excellence. Do not exceed 1500 characters.
2. At the University of Michigan Medical School, we are committed to building a superb educational community with students of diverse talents, experiences, opinions, and backgrounds. What would you as an individual bring to our medical school community? Do not exceed 1500 characters.

This ^ is for University of Michigan, not Michigan State.

OOS, verified 6/28/19, secondary received 7/9/19. Like the previous poster has said, payment is required to access the prompts. If no one posts by lunchtime I'll strongly consider doing it then for the team I guess.

Reactions: 1 user
IS secondary received just now

I bit the bullet and paid, prompts are as follows @PapaGuava :

1) Describe a time when you faced a challenging, but important, learning opportunity. Include your approach and resources used to pursue this challenge. What did you learn about yourself and your approach to learning from this experience? What, if anything would you do differently? Please limit your response to 250 words or less
2) Discuss a time when you stepped out of your comfort zone. What were the challenges? What did you learn? Please limit your response to 250 words or less.
3) If you could present yourself to the Committee on Admissions, what would you want to make sure they knew about you? Please limit your response to 250 words or less.

Then some standard checkboxes, yes/no questions.

Reactions: 4 users
OOS, verified 6/28/19, secondary received 7/9/19. Like the previous poster has said, payment is required to access the prompts. If no one posts by lunchtime I'll strongly consider doing it then for the team I guess.

Lol so much for supporting each other on this forum. A lot of posters have surprised me this year.

Anyways....

Describe a time when you faced a challenging, but important, learning opportunity. Include your approach and resources used to pursue this challenge. What did you learn about yourself and your approach to learning from this experience? What, if anything would you do differently? Please limit your response to 250 words or less.

Discuss a time when you stepped out of your comfort zone. What were the challenges? What did you learn? Please limit your response to 250 words or less.

If you could present yourself to the Committee on Admissions, what would you want to make sure they knew about you? Please limit your response to 250 words or less.

@PapaGuava

Good luck everyone!

Lol so much for supporting each other on this forum. A lot of posters have surprised me this year.

Anyways....

Describe a time when you faced a challenging, but important, learning opportunity. Include your approach and resources used to pursue this challenge. What did you learn about yourself and your approach to learning from this experience? What, if anything would you do differently? Please limit your response to 250 words or less.

Discuss a time when you stepped out of your comfort zone. What were the challenges? What did you learn? Please limit your response to 250 words or less.

If you could present yourself to the Committee on Admissions, what would you want to make sure they knew about you? Please limit your response to 250 words or less.

@PapaGuava

Good luck everyone!

I'm in clinic and my wallet is on a different floor which I cannot reach until lunch time.

"The College of Human Medicine implemented a new curriculum in the fall of 2016. Describe your understanding of this curriculum. Explain which of your attributes/strengths will assist in being successful in this curriculum. Explain how you will address any challenges it might pose. Please limit your response to 250 words or less."

I spent so much time pre-writing a response to this question from last year's thread :dead:

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have to have a connection to the state for OOS? Wondering if any current med students can chime in...

Do you have to have a connection to the state for OOS? Wondering if any current med students can chime in...

Not a current med student, but based on their MSAR data there are 53/190 OOS vs total applicants. Regional states represented as well as other areas though. I believe average MCAT/GPA are lower for OOS as well.

Not a current med student, but based on their MSAR data there are 53/190 OOS vs total applicants. Regional states represented as well as other areas though. I believe average MCAT/GPA are lower for OOS as well.

The stats are horrendous for OOS, which makes me wonder: what are they looking for? Over 4000 applications for 119 interviews. Median stats 3.46/504... I just don’t get it

The stats are horrendous for OOS, which makes me wonder: what are they looking for? Over 4000 applications for 119 interviews. Median stats 3.46/504... I just don’t get it

I would say legacies/state-ties/fulfilling missions? Hoping one of the OOS matriculants can chime in.

Yo, two challenge prompts? Come on msu...

There’s not that many ways to describe a “challenging learning experience”. Idk how im gonna make prompts 1 and 2 sound different

Did anyone else interpret the final question as a diversity question? Question for reference - 3) If you could present yourself to the Committee on Admissions, what would you want to make sure they knew about you? Please limit your response to 250 words or less.

Did anyone else interpret the final question as a diversity question? Question for reference - 3) If you could present yourself to the Committee on Admissions, what would you want to make sure they knew about you? Please limit your response to 250 words or less.

That's what I interpreted it as and what I'm putting in there. However, I do think other things can go there other than diversity

I talked about an overarching personal strength and then tied it back to a diversity point as well as another point, but didnt use a standard diversity essay. If that works in your case though I definitely think its fine, esp. if your essay is developed correctly

I would say legacies/state-ties/fulfilling missions? Hoping one of the OOS matriculants can chime in.
They are very mission based. Though the avg stats for oos may not be the highest there are still a few who do have decent stats, but the reason for the lower avg is again because they are very mission based

Reactions: 1 users
I talked about an overarching personal strength and then tied it back to a diversity point as well as another point, but didnt use a standard diversity essay. If that works in your case though I definitely think its fine, esp. if your essay is developed correctly

Yeah, I needed to change the wording of my essay, but the theme is generally the same. Really dislike these open-ended questions but oh well, we do with what we have.

Reactions: 8 users
Did most people take the CASPer test before secondaries were sent out? I wasn't aware we had to take it and was worried it might set me back in the application process since it takes 3 weeks to get to the school

Did most people take the CASPer test before secondaries were sent out? I wasn't aware we had to take it and was worried it might set me back in the application process since it takes 3 weeks to get to the school
I'm taking my CASPer exam tomorrow and I already submitted a secondary. You should be fine.

Does anyone know if applying to one of the specific programs they offer helps/hurts your chances of admission?

I dont believe it plays into any decision besides which interview day you attend (if offered an II).
Does anyone know if applying to one of the specific programs they offer helps/hurts your chances of admission?

Pre-wrote this secondary.

Just realized I submitted the “Shared Discoveries” question from last year instead of answering the new first prompt. Even proofread the wrong essay multiple times before submitting.

High stat, in-state applicant—MSUCHM was one of my top choices.

Is it worth sending an apology email that answers the correct prompt?

• Wow

Just realized I submitted the “Shared Discoveries” question from last year instead of answering the new first prompt. Even proofread the wrong essay multiple times before submitting.

I definitely would! I don’t think it would hurt to send an apology email.

They might send an apology email back

I would definitely send an apology email. Just be sincere and it should come through!

Just to confirm, my secondary won't be looked at until my CASPer test is submitted, right?

I dont believe it plays into any decision besides which interview day you attend (if offered an II).

@Here4MyBoo

This is correct. According to a section on the secondary: "Applying to one of these programs does not give an applicant any advantage in the application process." Also.... "If you apply by completing the essays and are not accepted to the special program, your acceptance to the College of Human Medicine is unaffected."

Hey everyone,

Does anyone know what the prompts are for the leadership in Rural Medicine at MSU CHM? I've seen the regular secondary prompts (I really appreciate those who have posted them). I just can't find the ones specific to the LRM program.

I submitted my secondary yesterday and on the status page under Casper it has a green checkmark but says that my Casper score hasn't been received. Took it in June... Anyone else getting this?

I submitted my secondary yesterday and on the status page under Casper it has a green checkmark but says that my Casper score hasn't been received. Took it in June... Anyone else getting this?

Yes, I have the same message next to my casper green checkmark despite my application "Forwarded for Preliminary Review on xx/xx/xxxx"

I have a green check mark next to this: Application Complete - Forwarded for Review. When were you complete?

Can someone explain the question under the essays that says "CHM course prerequisites"? I click on the link and the page does not load.

Does anyone know how the military scholarship question factors into their decision? I'm planning on it, but haven't seen that question for many other schools.

Does anyone know how the military scholarship question factors into their decision? I'm planning on it, but haven't seen that question for many other schools.
I would guess it's so a recruiter at the school can talk to you. Doubt it affects final decision

Can someone explain the question under the essays that says "CHM course prerequisites"? I click on the link and the page does not load.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-08-04 at 3.06.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-04 at 3.06.14 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 159
Any of you guys answer the additional demographic disclosure? I'm a registered voter with a specific party. I'm not afraid of my standing, more-so how it will be used against my app, lol.

Any of you guys answer the additional demographic disclosure? I'm a registered voter with a specific party. I'm not afraid of my standing, more-so how it will be used against my app, lol.

You're not with the Nazi party, are you?

You're not with the Nazi party, are you?

Gonna leave this one alone haha. Anyway, didn't fully read the prompt and didn't realize you could leave some blank. Score, I guess?

If you’re a registered Republican then look forward to getting instarejected.

• Haha