2019-2020 Oakland (Beaumont)

Started by PapaGuava
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Rejected today too. Got an Interview here when I applied last year and got waitlisted, they gave me feedback to improve my Mcat and get clinical hours and I did both and still rejected, so that sucks [emoji853]
 
any hotel recs for anyone that is interviewing or has interviewed?
I personally used the student host. My interview date was close to the time I requested one: like less than a week ( 5 days), but they were able to find me one. I am glad I was able to do the student host program. I get to learn more about the school from a second year.
 
curious - did they have an extra bed for you or was this an air mattress/couch situation? Glad to hear they're pretty accommodating. I think I requested a student host but have had mixed experiences so far
Mine had a family with kids. They had an extra bed for me and he was nice enough to drop me off at the school the morning of the interview and bring me back to his house. He even gave me a tour of the neighborhood and showed me potential places to rent near campus. I had a great experience.
 
The Preview Day occurred today. For those of you curious, the first part covered the area, the school and its values, and the general admission process. It's almost exactly like the webinar that they offer. Following that, they had a Q&A with current students, one from each year. Finally, they gave a quick tour of the school, showing the cadaver labs, the library, the study spaces in O'Dowd, the student lounge, and the Oakland Center (a large building containing meeting rooms, study spaces, a food court, and the bookstore).
 
Last edited:
I stayed at Hawthorn Suites. It was pretty nice. New bathrooms, clean, close to campus. OUWB serves a pretty decent breakfast. If you're flying in, definitely rent a car. This area is not very Uber-able.
Shoot I was planning on relying on Uber/Lyft! Is there a way to Uber from the airport to the area or is that also not Uber-able?
 
I stayed at Hawthorn Suites. It was pretty nice. New bathrooms, clean, close to campus. OUWB serves a pretty decent breakfast. If you're flying in, definitely rent a car. This area is not very Uber-able.

Hey! That’s the hotel I booked for my interview next month! Glad to see you liked it. I planned on Ubering to the school tho... maybe I’ll set up a taxi the day before.

What kind of breakfast did OUWB offer btw? Was thinking if I would rather eat at the hotel or at the school. Some schools I’ve interviewed at said they offer breakfast and it actually ended up being muffins and coffee. I need some protein in the morning.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
anyone going to DTW from OUWB area on the morning of 9/27/19? I was planning on Uber-ing/Lyft-ing but i'm wondering if anyone wants to carpool to save money
 
Has anyone interviewed yet? How did you feel? Did you stay for the tour at the end of the day?

Interview day was fun! Thoroughly enjoyed it (although this is my top choice so maybeeeee some bias lol). It was a long day, so prepare for that. Interviews themselves were not hard, one of mine seemed very conversational and the other was more back and forth question and answer.

I did stay for the tour at the end, which I regret only because of how humid and muggy it was on that day.. walking in a suit in that weather was not a good time. On top of it, you get there at like 7:45 and have the tour around 4:30 so my group and I that toured literally looked like a group of zombies lol. Not a fun experience, and at that point I just wanted to leave so badly. People left before the tour (although majority stayed) so don't think you are forced to stay for the tour.

Also Beaumont Royal Oak is beautiful, literally looks like a hotel (which apparently is a common way to describe it lol)
 
Last edited:
Interview day was fun! Thoroughly enjoyed it (although this is my top choice so maybeeeee some bias lol). It was a long day, so prepare for that. Interviews themselves were not hard, one of mine seemed very conversational and the other was more back and forth question and answer.

I did stay for the tour at the end, which I regret only because of how humid and muggy it was on that day.. walking in a suit in that weather was not a good time. On top of it, you get there at like 7:45 and have the tour around 4:30 so my group and I that toured literally looked like a group of zombies lol. Not a fun experience, and at that point I just wanted to leave so badly. People left before the tour (although majority stayed) so don't think you are forced to stay for the tour.

Also Beaumont Royal Oak is literally beautiful, literally looks like a hotel (which apparently is a common way to describe it lol)

Good to know it isn't looked down upon to not stay for the tour. Thanks for your response!
 
Hey! That’s the hotel I booked for my interview next month! Glad to see you liked it. I planned on Ubering to the school tho... maybe I’ll set up a taxi the day before.

What kind of breakfast did OUWB offer btw? Was thinking if I would rather eat at the hotel or at the school. Some schools I’ve interviewed at said they offer breakfast and it actually ended up being muffins and coffee. I need some protein in the morning.
They had a hot egg scramble, fruit, yogurt parfaits, muffins, hot coffee, tea, and juice. It wasn't gourmet, but the students laughed about how they would wait around until our meeting was over so they could go raid the spread.

The Uber was going to be around $50-$60 each way, plus a rides to the school and anywhere else I might need to go, like dinner. My rental for 24-hours came to like $80, but if you're under 25 you might face a surcharge. You do the math. For me it was cheaper and much nicer being at my own leisure. Plus, I had a place to keep my luggage other than the admissions office.
 
Interview day was fun! Thoroughly enjoyed it (although this is my top choice so maybeeeee some bias lol). It was a long day, so prepare for that. Interviews themselves were not hard, one of mine seemed very conversational and the other was more back and forth question and answer.

I did stay for the tour at the end, which I regret only because of how humid and muggy it was on that day.. walking in a suit in that weather was not a good time. On top of it, you get there at like 7:45 and have the tour around 4:30 so my group and I that toured literally looked like a group of zombies lol. Not a fun experience, and at that point I just wanted to leave so badly. People left before the tour (although majority stayed) so don't think you are forced to stay for the tour.

Also Beaumont Royal Oak is literally beautiful, literally looks like a hotel (which apparently is a common way to describe it lol)
LOL, I was so in the same place. I really badly wanted to see the actual school, but by time we got to that tour, I was totally exhausted. I wish they cut the group activity thing and just did a school tour at that time instead. Their study spaces and facilities are kinda baller.
At first I thought the hospital tour was kind of odd, but it made sense once we were there. It's probably one of their strongest selling points. It would be a stellar place to do rotations.
 
Interview day was fun! Thoroughly enjoyed it (although this is my top choice so maybeeeee some bias lol). It was a long day, so prepare for that. Interviews themselves were not hard, one of mine seemed very conversational and the other was more back and forth question and answer.

I did stay for the tour at the end, which I regret only because of how humid and muggy it was on that day.. walking in a suit in that weather was not a good time. On top of it, you get there at like 7:45 and have the tour around 4:30 so my group and I that toured literally looked like a group of zombies lol. Not a fun experience, and at that point I just wanted to leave so badly. People left before the tour (although majority stayed) so don't think you are forced to stay for the tour.

Also Beaumont Royal Oak is literally beautiful, literally looks like a hotel (which apparently is a common way to describe it lol)
Ah I’m so pumped to see this place!
 
They had a hot egg scramble, fruit, yogurt parfaits, muffins, hot coffee, tea, and juice. It wasn't gourmet, but the students laughed about how they would wait around until our meeting was over so they could go raid the spread.

The Uber was going to be around $50-$60 each way, plus a rides to the school and anywhere else I might need to go, like dinner. My rental for 24-hours came to like $80, but if you're under 25 you might face a surcharge. You do the math. For me it was cheaper and much nicer being at my own leisure. Plus, I had a place to keep my luggage other than the admissions office.

If you are under 25, Hertz waives the extra fee if you are a AAA member!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Pros: Brand new facilities, amazing anatomy lab, tuition includes health insurance and MacBook pros and access to all the facilities in OU, staff is probably the kindest I’ve seen so far, chillest non-gunner students (from what I have seen). Overall super humanistic chill atmosphere.
Cons: everyone says the winter is long there (I personally don't mind), the hospital is 25 min away from the campus, some people don’t like the TBL in their curriculum.

Wait everyone gets a MacBook Pro? Bruh
 
Wait everyone gets a MacBook Pro? Bruh



Look under “student laptop program”
 

Look under “student laptop program”
I will cry so hard if I get into this school
 
Y’all are getting me excited for this school. I’m a TX resident but born and raised in the Downriver area of Michigan, so it would be nice to be back home with all of my childhood friends.

I remember seeing all of the Beaumont hospital commercials while growing up so it’s weird to see myself potentially training there.

Anyways, I heard this school offers some OOS applicants a 50% scholarship. So, tuition would be $27k/yr vs $18-$23k/yr at TX schools. Not that much of a difference imo. I’m going to have to move to a new town no matter what, so I’m expecting to pay a lot. My current DO acceptance is $55k/yr so anything lower than that is better.

It’s going to be a tough choice to make if they end up accepting me and offering that scholarship vs a TX school.
 
Wait everyone gets a MacBook Pro? Bruh

Everyone gets a macbook pro because we take our exams on the computers. This way, if something goes wrong with your computer they can give you a loaner that you will already be familiar with while they get your computer fixed. You get to keep the laptop after the 4 years so long as you graduate. Part of the reason tuition is so expensive (although it is too high in general).
 
Pros: Brand new facilities, amazing anatomy lab, tuition includes health insurance and MacBook pros and access to all the facilities in OU, staff is probably the kindest I’ve seen so far, chillest non-gunner students (from what I have seen). Overall super humanistic chill atmosphere.
Cons: everyone says the winter is long there (I personally don't mind), the hospital is 25 min away from the campus, some people don’t like the TBL in their curriculum.
While the hospital is 25 minutes from the OU campus and it would be ideal that they are on same campus, the distance between the two doesn't matter that much. You don't spend a lot of time at the hospital your first two years and most people move for their third and fourth year to be near the hospital since that is where you spend most of your time in clinical years.
 
This has already been my top choice for a while, and the interview further confirmed this, but reading all these comments is making me more and more excited.

Hopefully good news can come our way on October 15!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yes, at the interview they told us in Year 1 is when you'll spend time at Beaumont Troy (instead of Royal Oak) because the Clinical Skills Training and Simulation Center is there (that was formerly a family medicine clinic, so the center is set up exactly like one).

So you'll be in a hospital first year or just doing standardized patients and using the sim lab?
 
While the hospital is 25 minutes from the OU campus and it would be ideal that they are on same campus, the distance between the two doesn't matter that much. You don't spend a lot of time at the hospital your first two years and most people move for their third and fourth year to be near the hospital since that is where you spend most of your time in clinical years.
Dude, many schools force students to move every 4-6 weeks to a new area for their clerkships. If you can sleep in the same bed for all four years, it's a total win.
 
So you'll be in a hospital first year or just doing standardized patients and using the sim lab?

Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe its just standardized patients and sim lab the first year, as current students have mentioned most of your time is spent in the actual medical school building in years 1-2 as opposed to the hospital.
 
Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe its just standardized patients and sim lab the first year, as current students have mentioned most of your time is spent in the actual medical school building in years 1-2 as opposed to the hospital.
Yea, this is the case with most schools, including OUWB. The students said there are times when you might be invited to go to Royal Oak, or if you want to shadow, you can make that happen. However, they're so busy, they rather not go down there, unless it's required or there's a club event.