2019-2020 UC Davis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do yall think it is worth mentioning having a concussion during the last class of the Ochem and biology series and a physics class? I did not get anything lower than a B- that quarter/ my gpa year averages went up significantly after that year? Or is it better to leave it out?
I would mention it. That could have significantly impacted you.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Verified 7/17, Secondary Received 7/18 SoCal Resident; No Norcal/Central CA Ties

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone I'm an applicant from last cycle who was admitted. If you all have any questions or want some feedback I would be happy to answer!
How strict are they on the clinician LOR? Would a LOR from my volunteer coordinator (very weak LOR but good) satisfy this recommendation?

Did you guys all submit the clinician LOR? Will a volunteer supervisor suffice?

Did you guys all submit the clinician LOR? Will a volunteer supervisor suffice?

I submitted a clinician LoR but I recall their website says a clinician LoR is recommended (not required). Don't send in an optional letter if it is weak

I submitted a clinician LoR but I recall their website says a clinician LoR is recommended (not required). Don't send in an optional letter if it is weak
I may be mistaken, but when med schools say recommended, isn’t that a “soft” requirement, meeting they are expecting it?

I may be mistaken, but when med schools say recommended, isn’t that a “soft” requirement, meeting they are expecting it?

Would depend on the school, some schools more than others. I guess your choice would depend on how "weak" your letter is.

From my understanding, you are trying to substitute a clinical letter with a volunteer supervisor letter? Let's say there is a "soft requirement", imo, this will not fulfill the clinical letter requirement and it will also add a weak letter to your application.

The best would be to ask them whether your clinical experience letter, not written by a clinician, will be considered a clinician letter.

Would depend on the school, some schools more than others. I guess your choice would depend on how "weak" your letter is.

From my understanding, you are trying to substitute a clinical letter with a volunteer supervisor letter? Let's say there is a "soft requirement", imo, this will not fulfill the clinical letter requirement and it will also add a weak letter to your application.

The best would be to ask them whether your clinical experience letter, not written by a clinician, will be considered a clinician letter.
Was it a physician you shadowed?

Do you have a feel for how much weight they put on having ties to California? I have none and am wondering if it is just a waste of $ to apply
I'm not sure, but I do know they tend to accept mostly in-state!

Members don't see this ad :)
My scienceGPA trend is a pretty straight line down--3.7 to 3.3. So A- to B+. My cGPA went 3.8 to 3.6, again, downward trend. My immediate thought is I don't feel like this would be "concerning to the Admissions Committee", what do you all think? Is it bad enough that I should explain it in the first question?

Still no secondary but received secondary from UCLA, UCI, and UCSD just waiting on Davis and SF... Though I do have connections to the Bay Area.

Reactions: 1 users
I submitted my secondary the day I received 7/3. I’m worried about not hearing back for an interview. Anyone know when invites will start rolling out?

I submitted my secondary the day I received 7/3. I’m worried about not hearing back for an interview. Anyone know when invites will start rolling out?
I'm sure you're fine. No one has posted anything about an II yet. If it makes you feel any better, I still haven't even received a secondary XD

Your good I haven’t heard anything about interviews I also submitted same day!

I just got a secondary, so I think it'll be a while before II go out if they are still reviewing primary apps.

Also, does anyone know if receiving a secondary this late is a sign that they're not as interested? or just a slower reviewer?

Secondary received today! OOS but strong NorCal/Central Valley ties

II 7/22. LM 70, ORM.
Interview dates 8/16 and 8/30 available.
Congratulations!! :) Did your status ever change from “your application is ready” to something like under review before receiving an interview?

Do we need our LOR in by 30 days? What if our writers can’t have them done by then?

How does UC Davis review one's application? Their secondaries is pretty much empty other than 2 questions:
• "Discuss any elements of your application that you feel might be concerning"
• "Do you have a connection to Northern or Central California?"

Also, if you used to live in NorCal and still have friends there, does that count as "ties to Northern California"?

‘Each year we receive over 7,500 applications, the vast majority (> 80%) from California residents. Approximately three thousand (40%) individuals receive invitations to complete a secondary application, including letters of recommendation. Each secondary application is evaluated by a member of the Admissions Committee using a holistic review framework, with attention to each candidate’s personal attributes, academic performance, work or medical experiences, and distance traveled. Of these, 500 (7% of the total) are invited for an 8-station multiple mini-interview (MMI), including a 20-minute conversation with one of our Associate Deans (usually me). We accept approximately 220 individuals each year (3% of those who apply) to ultimately matriculate an entering class of 120 students’

Reactions: 6 users
Interview invite this morning! LM 71, born and raised in Northern California, non-traditional reapplicant, complete 7/5. So excited!

Reactions: 4 users
For the pre-requisite courses, did yall only list the minimum courses required to fulfill the prereqs? or did yall basically list every classes you took that fit each of the course category?

For the pre-requisite courses, did yall only list the minimum courses required to fulfill the prereqs? or did yall basically list every classes you took that fit each of the course category?
Just the core requirements

I submitted 7/1 and no word of interview status. At what point do I give up and accept that I will not get an interview invite?

I submitted 7/1 and no word of interview status. At what point do I give up and accept that I will not get an interview invite?

They barely started giving out interviews. Way way too early to write them off

They barely started giving out interviews. Way way too early to write them off

I know it’s early, however some people on this forum that submitted after me already have interviews. Wouldn’t that mean they saw my app and basically said mehhhh and threw it to the bottom of the pile?

I know it’s early, however some people on this forum that submitted after me already have interviews. Wouldn’t that mean they saw my app and basically said mehhhh and threw it to the bottom of the pile?

I don't think it can be assumed that everyone will be reviewed in exact chronological order based on submission/complete date.

I don't think it can be assumed that everyone will be reviewed in exact chronological order based on submission/complete date.
That seems counter intuitive. If applying early is so important then it would be safe to assume all applicants are reviewed chronologically. Unless they take 7/1-7/14 and review those in a bundle then move on to another date range?

That seems counter intuitive. If applying early is so important then it would be safe to assume all applicants are reviewed chronologically. Unless they take 7/1-7/14 and review those in a bundle then move on to another date range?

AFTER SUBMISSION

Reviews of applications are not necessarily reviewed in chronological order or invited for interview at time of review. Superstars, linked programs, associated UG institutions, family of alumni, grads of feeder schools, legacies, URMs, people who meet the school’s mission, in-state residents for state schools, linked post-bac programs like SMPs, and other factors may push an app forward in the process.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey yall, for the activities section, did you re-use ur AMCAS descriptions but trimmed it??

Or did yall construct new descriptions?

I’m going for a tour of UCDSOM tomorrow . If anyone has any questions they would like me to ask the admissions let me know!

Submitted my secondaries last night and was complete instantly <3 let's do this yall.

Also, no Norcal connections. Let's see what happens

For UCDavis, how does your chance fare if you don't choose any of their "Scholarly Pathway"? It seems like all these pathways offer mainly primary care, family, or internal medicines.

EDITed typo.

Last edited:
I’m going for a tour of UCDSOM tomorrow . If anyone has any questions they would like me to ask the admissions let me know!

Can you ask them when they’re going to interview me?
Names RJ McReady. Thanks!

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
After the tour here, i just want to tell you all how amazing the environment is. Everyone is so inspiring and encouraging!! From students to faculty, everyone wants you to succeed and get you to connect with your interests.

This school really does focus on your experiences and attributes and considers the story of your life so make sure to tell them that.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
After the tour here, i just want to tell you all how amazing the environment is. Everyone is so inspiring and encouraging!! From students to faculty, everyone wants you to succeed and get you to connect with your interests.

This school really does focus on your experiences and attributes and considers the story of your life so make sure to tell them that.
That's great to here! Are you still in contact with them? If so, could you ask if their PRIME programs (TEACH-MS, REACH, etc.) are specifically for primary care (internal medicine, pediatrics, and family medicine) as noted on their website? I'm wondering if other specialities like Emergency Medicine, Sports Medicine, Dermatology, etc. can still be part of it.

That's great to here! Are you still in contact with them? If so, could you ask if their PRIME programs (TEACH-MS, REACH, etc.) are specifically for primary care (internal medicine, pediatrics, and family medicine) as noted on their website? I'm wondering if other specialities like Emergency Medicine, Sports Medicine, Dermatology, etc. can still be part of it.
Hey sorry I’m not there anymore. I would recommend emailing the program directors or admissions office so they could guide you!

Hey sorry I’m not there anymore. I would recommend emailing the program directors or admissions office so they could guide you!

Np. Did you apply to any of them (TEACH, REACH, etc.)?

Np. Did you apply to any of them (TEACH, REACH, etc.)?
No, I didn't because some medical students at UCDSOM told me to do those only if you're genuinely interested in them and have the experience to back up your interest.