2019-2020 UC Davis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was verified a month ago and still no secondary, should I call? Socal resident
No I wouldn’t. Many people last cycle received secondaries well into the cycle

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Do you guys think it would look weird to apply to the urban underserved program and the rural underserved program? I have connections to both and would be thrilled to do both

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you guys think it would look weird to apply to the urban underserved program and the rural underserved program? I have connections to both and would be thrilled to do both
Don't see why not if you can talk about it passionately during interviews.

Every time I pass by the medical school building i’m tempted to go inside and beg for an interview

Reactions: 5 users
II just now! LizzyM:72 No ties to Norcal but Im from the Central Valley. complete 07/09

Reactions: 7 users
II earlier today!! IS.

This actually took me by surprise...I know what it feels like seeing all these early IIs and not receiving one. Just remember you are worth it, you will get an II, and an acceptance eventually! This is my first II... I received one early rejection last week and this morning I got wait listed for interviews at two med schools and felt defeated until I saw this. Keep faith we still have a looooong cycle to go. Just thought to spread some positivity.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
II earlier today!! IS.

This actually took me by surprise...I know what it feels like seeing all these early IIs and not receiving one. Just remember you are worth it, you will get an II, and an acceptance eventually! This is my first II... I received one early rejection last week and this morning I got wait listed for interviews at two med schools and felt defeated until I saw this. Keep faith we still have a looooong cycle to go. Just thought to spread some positivity.
Congrats!! Thanks for spreading that positivity and support :)

II earlier today!! IS.

Congrats! If you don't mind me asking, stats and date of completion?

Got II on 7/29. Anyone else interviewing on 8/16?

Reactions: 1 user
Got II on 7/29. Anyone else interviewing on 8/16?
Stats?

whenever someone posts that they have an II, I automatically check my email. Still waiting for some love from Davis at my ucdavis email :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary completed 7/1
Stats: foreign bachelors in engineering
4.0 American post bacc gpa
Also over 8 years working in healthcare

Reactions: 3 users
ill be interviewing 8/16! any tips for this mmi format at davis specifically?

No more than what their official page says. 10 stations 7 minutes per interview. Excited and nervous at the same time:) I actually wanted to ask if you heard from any hosts if you applied for host program?

Maybe you just didn’t pass the screen. Seems kinda cocky to call as it looks like your expecting a secondary
Well I got a secondary before this time last year, but yeah I'm just gonna wait. No need to call right now

No more than what their official page says. 10 stations 7 minutes per interview. Excited and nervous at the same time:) I actually wanted to ask if you heard from any hosts if you applied for host program?
Getting a hotel for Thursday night so didnt apply :(

How are you prepping for the interview. Are you doing the optional thing on Sat too?

Reading random MMI scenarios, maybe will read up on some bioethics too. My flight is not until 4pm on Saturday so if they give me one of the earlier clinics I might do it.

submitted my secondary just now. Forgot to convert my quarter hours to semester hours. How screwed am I?
I called UCD and a lady said it is ok as they will adjust it into semester credits for you. It won't be hold against you.

I called UCD and a lady said it is ok as they will adjust it into semester credits for you. It won't be hold against you.

To be fair, I think UCDavis system is in quarter system. Hence, I'd think they'd be aware of accommodating quarter vs semestral system.

was beginning to lose hope but just received a SECONDARY! better late than never ;)

also, congrats and good luck to those with IIs already!!

Congrats! If you don't mind me asking, stats and date of completion?
I'm IS, 4.0 GPA and my MCAT is below their median (not the most balanced applicant but valid reasons for lower MCAT score...life happens) Complete early July... I believe the first week.

Just got || today in the afternoon!! :D wow did not see that coming at all. I was seeing all these || posts getting pretty disheartened. But stay strong fam, we gotta pull through. Just like MCAT lol, marathon not a spring

Also wondering about the optional Saturday thing. I was planning to leave after the interview on Friday. Are we at a consensus that it's NBD?

Stats: 3.56//518//WARS 67
Decent NorCal Ties

Last edited:
Just got || today in the afternoon!! :D

Also wondering about the optional Saturday thing. I was planning to leave after the interview on Friday. Are we at a consensus that it's NBD?

Decent NorCal Ties
I doubt it has an effect on the admissions process...its optional

Yeah that's what I figured as well. Paying for another whole day of hotel seems like too much but I might end up doing it just to get a better feel for the school. R u also thinking of passing?

Just got || today in the afternoon!! :D wow did not see that coming at all. I was seeing all these || posts getting pretty disheartened. But stay strong fam, we gotta pull through. Just like MCAT lol, marathon not a spring

Decent NorCal Ties
WOW congrats and thank you for the encouragement <3
I feel worried because UCD secondary is shorter than other apps. I don't know if I come through. Did you try to find Airbnb? I know hotels in Sacramento are kind of expensive and the motels are not very safe... Don't go to them.

Last edited:
WOW congrats and thank you for the encouragement <3
I feel worried because UCD secondary is shorter than other apps. I don't know if I come through. Did you try to find Airbnb? I know hotels in Sacramento are kind of expensive and the motels are not very safe... Don't go to them.
Why are motels not safe? It's kind of like a hotel, but cheap.

Yeah that's what I figured as well. Paying for another whole day of hotel seems like too much but I might end up doing it just to get a better feel for the school. R u also thinking of passing?
I'm still considering it hotel for two days will be expensive! What day are you interviewing?

I'm still considering it hotel for two days will be expensive! What day are you interviewing?

Let's see if the host thing comes thru, otherwise might have to milk the network to find someone to crash with. I'm going Sept 13. Which I just now realized is Friday the 13th...

Let's see if the host thing comes thru, otherwise might have to milk the network to find someone to crash with. I'm going Sept 13. Which I just now realized is Friday the 13th...
I also chose the 13th... umm yeah I just realized that. And yeah lets see I'm also hoping for the host situation! Good luck prepping I'll see you there!

Decent NorCal Ties

When were you complete? lol

Decent NorCal Ties

Congrats!! Do you mind sharing when you were complete?

II yesterday afternoon, complete Week 1 of July. This was my first interview invite and I had gotten q rejection right before that from U of Washington which takes 5% out of state so it didn’t really sting. Hang in there guys. I was getting very anxious about interviews last week but it’ll come with time. Interview is Sep 13th.

Stats are in my signature.

Reactions: 4 users
Secondary received last night! Verified 06/28. Hang in there guys, they're still sending them out :)

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Still waiting for that II from my top choice
IMG_20190810_153907923.jpg

Here are some of the resources that I used for prepping for the interview last year (MS1 at Davis right now, so must have worked ;)). Honestly, I think I went way overboard with preparation; the MMI was really fun (stressful for sure, but overall great experience for me).

"I've heard that this MMI book is a go-to since it has a lot of examples and explanations. I also have a bunch of links that I've been collecting about MMI:

Manual for MMI Interviewers (describes what MMI interviewers are supposed to look for and has a few question examples)

YouTube video MMI examples (I personally think these are SUPER helpful)

Sample MMI Questions

More Sample MMI Questions (this list seems legit)

There's also a strategy for preparing for MMI interviews discussed on this SDN thread."

For all of you still waiting for secondaries and II's, hang in there! It's a long road and I still remember all of the excessive stress that I put myself through with checking emails constantly and putting myself down because of a few early rejections. Biggest takeaway? Anything can and does happen during the app cycle--both good and bad. Although you cannot fully control the outcome, you can control how you treat yourself. Please take care of yourselves and your mental health, however you can!

• Love
Reactions: 25 users
Here are some of the resources that I used for prepping for the interview last year (MS1 at Davis right now, so must have worked ;)). Honestly, I think I went way overboard with preparation; the MMI was really fun (stressful for sure, but overall great experience for me).

"I've heard that this MMI book is a go-to since it has a lot of examples and explanations. I also have a bunch of links that I've been collecting about MMI:

Manual for MMI Interviewers (describes what MMI interviewers are supposed to look for and has a few question examples)

Sample MMI Questions

There's also a strategy for preparing for MMI interviews discussed on this SDN thread."

For all of you still waiting for secondaries and II's, hang in there! It's a long road and I still remember all of the excessive stress that I put myself through with checking emails constantly and putting myself down because of a few early rejections. Biggest takeaway? Anything can and does happen during the app cycle--both good and bad. Although you cannot fully control the outcome, you can control how you treat yourself. Please take care of yourselves and your mental health, however you can!
Thanks so much!!!

Sample MMI Questions

This was amazing, thank you!

Hi,

I received a secondary last week from UC Davis and am currently working on it. I am having a difficult time tackling the three activity section on the secondary. I am trying to avoid copying and pasting, but it's quite a challenge to do so because of the 500 character limit on each activity. How did ya'll approach this section?

Hi,

I received a secondary last week from UC Davis and am currently working on it. I am having a difficult time tackling the three activity section on the secondary. I am trying to avoid copying and pasting, but it's quite a challenge to do so because of the 500 character limit on each activity. How did ya'll approach this section?
I focused on the main thing I learned from the experience.

Congrats to everyone receiving IIs!!

Meanwhile I’m still hoping for a secondary :( (verified late July tho so not panicking but the wait is killing meeeee) Anyone else in the same boat?

Congrats to everyone receiving IIs!!

Meanwhile I’m still hoping for a secondary :( (verified late July tho so not panicking but the wait is killing meeeee) Anyone else in the same boat?

Hang in there. The UCs have a weird way of screening applicants. Since they seem to screen heavily, it will take some time. While waiting, you can maybe pre-write your secondary essays if you havent already.