2019-2020 UC San Diego

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Secondary received 7/10 and submitted 7/14! After payment, I got an email immediately telling me my application was complete and being sent to review.
Same, they're on it!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
deleted! have a good one!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a two week deadline or is the deadline August? That final email confused me

One month deadline from receipt of email for regular MD.
Two week deadline from receipt of email for MSTP.

Sorry where does it say 2 weeks for MSTP? I got a clarification email saying 1 month

My email had a large bolded section specifically addressing submission deadlines. Here it is verbatim:

SUBMISSION DEADLINES:
For “regular M.D.” applicants the deadline for submitting the secondary application is one month from the date on which you received this invitation (e.g. if you receive the email on August 8, your deadline is September 8)
For applicants to the MD/PhD program, the deadline is two week from the date on which you received this invitation (e.g. if you receive the email on August 8, your deadline is August 22)
Note that these deadlines do not apply to submission of your letters of recommendation. The deadline only applies to things for which you are directly responsible – your secondary application and the secondary application fee payment.

My email had a large bolded section specifically addressing submission deadlines. Here it is verbatim:

SUBMISSION DEADLINES:
For “regular M.D.” applicants the deadline for submitting the secondary application is one month from the date on which you received this invitation (e.g. if you receive the email on August 8, your deadline is September 8)
For applicants to the MD/PhD program, the deadline is two week from the date on which you received this invitation (e.g. if you receive the email on August 8, your deadline is August 22)
Note that these deadlines do not apply to submission of your letters of recommendation. The deadline only applies to things for which you are directly responsible – your secondary application and the secondary application fee payment.

Yes but after that I received an email saying the following:

“We are writing to address a common question that is asked in regard to the deadline to submit your secondary applications.

We realize there has been some confusion, as there is conflicting information given on whether the deadline is two weeks or one month.

You will have one month to submit your secondary application.”

Yes but after that I received an email saying the following:

“We are writing to address a common question that is asked in regard to the deadline to submit your secondary applications.

We realize there has been some confusion, as there is conflicting information given on whether the deadline is two weeks or one month.

You will have one month to submit your secondary application.”

Ah, I never got that email. Good to know! But I'm personally not waiting that long to submit either way.

Ah, I never got that email. Good to know! But I'm personally not waiting that long to submit either way.

Oh that’s weird! I got like 3 emails after the initial secondary about FAQ’s

I will definitely not be waiting a month either hahaha

Verified 7/17, Secondary Received 7/17 IS!!!! Yeehaw

For you OOS MSTP folks out there-
How are you addressing Why UCSD in your autobiography and OOS additional essay? Just repeating the same stuff or more focusing on the MD-side in the OOS additional?

How are you addressing Why UCSD in your autobiography and OOS additional essay? Just repeating the same stuff or more focusing on the MD-side in the OOS additional?
I think what I'm going to do is generally describe my mission/goals at UCSD in my autobiography (and how my life lead me to them) and in my why UCSD essay go into specifics about its programs that I intend to be involved in

Members don't see this ad :)

I focused more on the MD side and why I want to train in San Diego and at UCSD in the OOS additional. In the autobiography, I focused more on Why UCSD MSTP.

Reactions: 1 users
For the autobiography, how explicit are y’all being? For example, my family section I didn’t describe how I’m one of 2 kids or what my dad does, or for childhood I didn’t describe the town I grew up in.

However, I did describe the formative influence that specific family members had on my decision to pursue medicine (for example, my mom is a nurse) and shared anecdotes from my childhood that follow the same trend.

I guess I’m just unsure of how to balance facts vs. narrative for this one, because the prompt is written a little different than Vanderbilt’s autobio essay

I focused more on the MD side and why I want to train in San Diego and at UCSD in the OOS additional. In the autobiography, I focused more on Why UCSD MSTP.

Quick question-- are OOS applicants more competitive for UCSD if they are applying to one of the additional pathways/dual degree programs? I am a research-oriented applicant but unsure if applying to the MAS in clinical research combined program makes me a more attractive applicant or if it actually just places me into a more competitive pool...alternatively could it be questionable that I am writing my essays about research interests without applying to the MAS in clinical research?

Quick question-- are OOS applicants more competitive for UCSD if they are applying to one of the additional pathways/dual degree programs? I am a research-oriented applicant but unsure if applying to the MAS in clinical research combined program makes me a more attractive applicant or if it actually just places me into a more competitive pool...alternatively could it be questionable that I am writing my essays about research interests without applying to the MAS in clinical research?

I don't think I can answer that question for you...but I would just apply to whatever program you see as a fit! If you want to do the MAS program, apply for it. If you don't want to for whatever reason, don't apply and be prepared to discuss that in interviews. But definitely don't apply for a program because you're trying to game the system.

Reactions: 2 users
But definitely don't apply for a program because you're trying to game the system.

I definitely agree with this sentiment, but I’m mostly looking at it from the opposite perspective.

I think I’d be a solid fit for the program, but if applying to it means I’m placed into a separate and/or more competitive applicant pool, than I’d rather not risk it given the low odds for OOS applicants to begin with...

I definitely agree with this sentiment, but I’m mostly looking at it from the opposite perspective.

I think I’d be a solid fit for the program, but if applying to it means I’m placed into a separate and/or more competitive applicant pool, than I’d rather not risk it given the low odds for OOS applicants to begin with...

Yeah that's fair. I don't really know the ins and outs of the competitiveness of the different applicant pools. I think it's up to you to decide how much you like the program and whether it's worth the risk being in a more competitive pool, if that is even the case. It could also be worth emailing the admissions office to see how consideration for the regular MD program works when applying for MAS, if you don't already have that information.

I'm having trouble answering the PRIME program vs Global health essays. I feel like my reasons for applying for both are more or less based off of the same experiences? Is there anyone applying to those that I could message with some specific question? Thanks!

Did anyone add another most meaningful experience?
I just started volunteering with a program that organizes different sports events for youth with disabilities. I know it will definitely become one of my most meaningful but I've only done one event so far (its not on my primary)... Should I add it?

I just started volunteering with a program that organizes different sports events for youth with disabilities. I know it will definitely become one of my most meaningful but I've only done one event so far (its not on my primary)... Should I add it?

That's like saying you're going to marry a girl you've dated for the first time.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

I did! I did not get a chance to talk about my new scribing job that I acquired in May due to the fact that I did not have many hours/much to talk about it. But, now that I have been scribing for 2+ months, I believe I can confidently talk abut my experiences during the interview (if i get one??? i hope. help.)

I would add it if you believe you can confidently talk about it during your interview :)

That's like saying you're going to marry a girl you've dated for the first time.
I mean I *think* it would have been one of my most meaningful if I started doing it earlier and I'm assuming they're not expecting you to have that many hours since its a new experience
I did! I did not get a chance to talk about my new scribing job that I acquired in May due to the fact that I did not have many hours/much to talk about it. But, now that I have been scribing for 2+ months, I believe I can confidently talk abut my experiences during the interview (if i get one??? i hope. help.)

I would add it if you believe you can confidently talk about it during your interview :)
That helps, thank you!

Anyone have an issue paying the application fee? Paid on 7/19, even got a confirmation of payment email from UCSD and it shows on my credit statement, but it still says missing payment on the portal.

Anyone have an issue paying the application fee? Paid on 7/19, even got a confirmation of payment email from UCSD and it shows on my credit statement, but it still says missing payment on the portal.

I am in the same position as you. Please keep me posted on your situation as I am confused as well LOL. I will probably give them a call later

Does SD have secondary fee waiver for FAP recipients?

Does UCSD pre-screen before sending the secondary application? Or do everyone mostly get one anyways?

I just submitted my secondary today, I feel relieved! This has been one of the more challenging secondaries for me. Hope everyone else gets to submit their secondaries relatively early (and write their best quality autobiographies)

Does UCSD have a high spanish patient population considering they're so close to Mexico?

Have any other MSTP applicants tried to submit their secondary more than 2 weeks after receiving it? I was confused whether the deadline was 2 weeks or 1 month, and prioritized other secondaries... now it has been 17 days. Is it too late for me? I can still log into the secondary website and edit things

Is anyone applying to both the PRIME and Global Health program? Is it acceptable to apply to more than one?

Me before starting this autobiography: ugh 1000 words is so much!

2154 words later: 1000 words is so little!

Reactions: 7 users
Sorry to sound clueless...but I'm new to the jargon. What is "IA"?
In this context, Institutional Action. You might also see in some user signatures on here "IA" listed next to "II" which would then stand for Interviews Attended and Interview Invite(s), respectively.

IS. Low Stats. - does UCSD not screen for secondaries?
Verified 7/18.
Secondary Received 7/24
Secondary Submitted 7/27

And now, we wait.

Got a secondary today, does anyone know how many they send out or at least have an educated guess?