2019-2020 UC San Francisco

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can anyone join the FB page yet?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone admitted know if we have to use the radio button options on the portal to hold a place in the class? The way it's worded sounds like a commit to enroll rather than an offer acceptance

Does anyone admitted know if we have to use the radio button options on the portal to hold a place in the class? The way it's worded sounds like a commit to enroll rather than an offer acceptance
It seems scary but it's not a binding thing! After you click accept it says, "We are very pleased to receive your acceptance of our offer! We recognize that you are likely to be considering other opportunities as well. Please do not hesitate to contact us, if we can be helpful as you ponder your options. If you are still holding a place with us after April 30, you must select Plan to Enroll with AMCAS; however, you may remain on waitlists until you select Commit to Enroll." So they know you're still holding other offers.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
It seems scary but it's not a binding thing! After you click accept it says, "We are very pleased to receive your acceptance of our offer! We recognize that you are likely to be considering other opportunities as well. Please do not hesitate to contact us, if we can be helpful as you ponder your options. If you are still holding a place with us after April 30, you must select Plan to Enroll with AMCAS; however, you may remain on waitlists until you select Commit to Enroll." So they know you're still holding other offers.
Thank you!! Incredibly excited to meet you all at second look!

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Does anyone know why they ask for your social security number when you're signing up for an interview slot? I'm super confused by that. I just got an invite to interview for the JMP with UCSF/UC Berkeley but it just feels so weird having to put in my SSN.

Does anyone know why they ask for your social security number when you're signing up for an interview slot? I'm super confused by that. I just got an invite to interview for the JMP with UCSF/UC Berkeley but it just feels so weird having to put in my SSN.
a lot of schools do that. For citizenship verification and also financial aid purpose.

Emailed the UCSF MSTP office last Thursday and they told me they should have news for the radio silence gang "hopefully ... before too long"

I would assume they're not working next week? Today is hopefully the day

ACCEPTED a few days ago!!! Interviewed 11/05. STILL CANNOT BELIEVE IT....pinch me.:soexcited:

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Any ideas on how the need-based financial aid works at UCSF for lower-income students?

Members don't see this ad :)
If I want to withdraw my application (interview scheduled for early Feb), should I just email the Office of Admissions, or is there something on the portal for me to use?

Reactions: 1 users
If I want to withdraw my application (interview scheduled for early Feb), should I just email the Office of Admissions, or is there something on the portal for me to use?
Email! post-interview the portal says to email with first and last name and AAMC ID in subject so I assume it’s the same for cancelling interview!

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone know where I can find advice for the JMP interview?

WL on 12/18. For everybody else that was waitlisted, do you know if they rank their waitlist? Was there any indication that you were high priority to get off the waitlist? Just trying to gauge how likely it is to get off... Hopefully everybody will accept a Geffen scholarship and free up the list. Best of luck!

WL on 12/18. For everybody else that was waitlisted, do you know if they rank their waitlist? Was there any indication that you were high priority to get off the waitlist? Just trying to gauge how likely it is to get off... Hopefully everybody will accept a Geffen scholarship and free up the list. Best of luck!

I also was waitlisted on that date but didn't receive any information then as to whether there was a tier list or ranking, although during the dean's welcome on my interview day I think I remember them saying that they don't rank and review all waitlisted applications anytime a spot opens up.

As to chances of coming off the waitlist, I think it varies a bit year to year but there was an SDN post with data from two or three years ago that showed about a 45% post-WL acceptance rate. So not great odds, but still hopeful!

I also was waitlisted on that date but didn't receive any information then as to whether there was a tier list or ranking, although during the dean's welcome on my interview day I think I remember them saying that they don't rank and review all waitlisted applications anytime a spot opens up.

As to chances of coming off the waitlist, I think it varies a bit year to year but there was an SDN post with data from two or three years ago that showed about a 45% post-WL acceptance rate. So not great odds, but still hopeful!

45% looks pretty good to me.

Does anyone from SJV prime interview remember the time Dean Wolfsy said we'd hear back by?

They actually tell you I'm pretty sure on MSAR :)

50/150 got in according to that...so a 33% chance. No, that's not great...but hey, it's higher than some schools' acceptance rates post II so not bad at all.
So assume you won't get it to be safe, but there's a healthy bit of hope for sure if you are willing to wait until May :)

They actually tell you I'm pretty sure on MSAR :)

50/150 got in according to that...so a 33% chance. No, that's not great...but hey, it's higher than some schools' acceptance rates post II so not bad at all.
So assume you won't get it to be safe, but there's a healthy bit of hope for sure if you are willing to wait until May :)

MSAR hasn't always been accurate for school WL's (e.g. UCLA's last year). Students I met threw around a number closer to 50%.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Perhaps the difference comes from the students who withdraw from the waitlist before the cycle completes? As in those who were on the waitlist for the entire cycle versus those who were on it at any point and left before the end without an offer?

Say there are 150 students on the waitlist, and 50 are accepted, 50 are not, and another 50 drop out (get good offers elsewhere, etc) before the cycle ends. That would indicate that 50/150 (33%) of the total number of waitlisted people get offered a spot, while 50/100 (50%) of those who stuck it out on the waitlist until the end wound up getting in.

So maybe both are right?

Last edited:
MSAR hasn't always been accurate for school WL's (e.g. UCLA's last year). Students I met threw around a number closer to 50%.

Wow a 50/50 chance you think then? I like the sound of that, I hope you're right XD

ACCEPTED JUST NOW!!!!! I’m over the moon

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
Accepted as well! Interviewed 11/19. Can't even put into words my excitement.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Accepted!!! Over the moon as well . For those accepted, do we have 2 weeks to hold a place in the class or to accept the offer? I really don’t wanna string UCSF along but I also want to wait until I have financial aid info.

Accepted!!! Over the moon as well . For those accepted, do we have 2 weeks to hold a place in the class or to accept the offer? I really don’t wanna string UCSF along but I also want to wait until I have financial aid info.

There was a similar question earlier in this thread. Someone else responded to say that you aren't committing to enroll when you accept the offer, just that you're acknowledging that you received it and would like to hold the offer. Unfortunately, I can't personally attest to this yet.

Last edited:

I found their response on page 29.

Any other november interviewees didn’t hear back?

post-secondary/pre-interview R yesterday. good luck to everyone else

• Sad
Does anyone from SJV prime interview remember the time Dean Wolfsy said we'd hear back by?
I spoke to a really friendly guy who interviewed for SJV prime--I think he said February! Not sure when I will find out tho

I just interviewed recently. Correct me if I'm wrong but they discourage people from sending thank you notes to admissions in general, correct? I know for certain they said not to contact the faculty you interviewed with in the future. If they are open to accepting them, I would send a well-written thank you note to admissions thanking them and everyone else involved in the process for a great day overall.

I just interviewed recently. Correct me if I'm wrong but they discourage people from sending thank you notes to admissions in general, correct? I know for certain they said not to contact the faculty you interviewed with in the future. If they are open to accepting them, I would send a well-written thank you note to admissions thanking them and everyone else involved in the process for a great day overall.

recently interviewed - they included a sheet in the folder that explicitly said to not send thank you notes.

During my interview I asked the admissions office if it was okay to just send a general thank you email to the admissions team (not the faculty interviewers) to express my thanks for the great day overall.

They said it was absolutely fine. I sent it out, and they even responded to me with good vibes.

Keep it short, keep it general, don't request to send it to faculty/student interviewers.

During my interview I asked the admissions office if it was okay to just send a general thank you email to the admissions team (not the faculty interviewers) to express my thanks for the great day overall.

They said it was absolutely fine. I sent it out, and they even responded to me with good vibes.

Keep it short, keep it general, don't request to send it to faculty/student interviewers.
I thought the interviewers are not allowed to get in touch with the candidates. It's for the integrity of the process. Welp.

Does anyone know when the next wave of regular MD decisions is?
During my interview (mid December) Dean Wofsy mentioned we should find out by the end of January. Hoping we hear some news in the next few days!

I thought the interviewers are not allowed to get in touch with the candidates. It's for the integrity of the process. Welp.

No rules were violated. Thank you emails are not supposed to be sent to interviewers (student and faculty) as stated above. This was for the admissions team for coordinating the event. Asked them in person to make sure.