2020-2021 UC San Francisco

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of California - San Francisco

Members don't see this ad.

I'm so excited to be applying here this cycle!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This might sound stupid, but I keep hearing all the hype about UCSF. Can any current med student elaborate on what makes UCSF special?

2) related to #1, but UCSF is the only major healthcare provider in SF and one of a few in the Bay Area.

I believe UCSF is a top institution, indeed, one of the best, but it is far from being the only provider of health care in SF. I'm not certain what you mean by your statement.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm not sure if it was here that I heard it, but is there any traction to the rumor that UCSF is going debt free soon?

I'm not sure if it was here that I heard it, but is there any traction to the rumor that UCSF is going debt free soon?
UCSF is looking for donors but it’s just talk right now; the bay is full of extremely rich people though so I wouldn’t be surprised if UCSF gets a large donation in the next 5-10 years

UCSF definitely fits my mission statement! how friendly are they to OOS since they're public? Asking as a TX resident

about 33% of the incoming 2019 class are OOS! there is definitely an in-state bias, but you should 100% apply if you think the school is a good fit (and this is coming from an incoming M1 from the east coast)

Hey, I submitted my app on 5/28 and included UCSF, I just went to check if I'd been verified (haven't) but UCSF is no longer on my list of schools?? I know it was there because I printed it out right after I submitted and I see it on the hard copy. Has this happened to anyone else?

edit: problem solved

Last edited:
UCSF definitely fits my mission statement! how friendly are they to OOS since they're public? Asking as a TX resident

During my interview this past cycle, it was mentioned that while there appears to be a heavy in-state bias, there are a lot of OOS offers given; however, many of these OOS students opt to pick a different school which makes the numbers lean heavily IS.

Reactions: 2 users

As an incoming OOS MS1 student, I can tell you that UCSF is friendly to OOS applicants. I'm from NM and know of at least two other incoming students who are from Texas. If you believe that UCSF fits your interests and mission, I HIGHLY encourage you to apply. My interview at UCSF was amazing and this med school definitely has a lot going for it in regards to recruiting URM students and addressing health disparities and social justice issues.

Reactions: 3 users
Can a current speak more about admissions to UCSF PRIME-US? It seems like a focused, tight-knit program that I might want to apply to. Are we still considered for admission into the traditional MD program even if we are not accepted into PRIME-US? It would give me some security since it seems like only a handful are accepted to the program!

Members don't see this ad :)
Can a current speak more about admissions to UCSF PRIME-US? It seems like a focused, tight-knit program that I might want to apply to. Are we still considered for admission into the traditional MD program even if we are not accepted into PRIME-US? It would give me some security since it seems like only a handful are accepted to the program!
To be considered for PRIME-US, you have to be accepted into the traditional MD program first.

Reactions: 1 user
For last year's prompt about elaborating on activities, it is reasonable to elaborate on the nature, hypothesis, purpose of your research to just describe it in a little detail? Also, it is okay to expand on more than one activity right?

I saw a tweet that UCSF's incoming class is the most diverse class ever in any medical school. That's impressive. 23% Hispanic, 22% Asian, 20% White, 19% Black, and includes 4 Native Americans. That's impressive.

Reactions: 18 users
For last year's prompt about elaborating on activities, it is reasonable to elaborate on the nature, hypothesis, purpose of your research to just describe it in a little detail? Also, it is okay to expand on more than one activity right?

This is what I'm going to do since I didn't really get into the specifics of my honors thesis research in my primary, but I'm not sure if that's what they're looking for. IIRC UCSF is a research-heavy school so maybe?

can someone help me clarify if I should select "regular MD" or "combined degree" if I would like to apply to both the regular MD ( as well as PRIME) and the JMP program with berkeley? All I see on the website is "apply to UCSF" and I don't know what that means

From last year: If you wish to update or expand upon your activities, you may provide additional information below. (500 words)

Will it reduce my chance for an interview if I leave this blank? If any admitted or current UCSF med students are here, what did you write for this?

Last edited:
"For the 2021 Admissions Cycle, the University of California San Francisco School of Medicine will accept applications without an MCAT score due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
All candidates will be screened and interview decisions will be offered without utilization of an MCAT score."

- How to Apply to Medical School | UCSF Medical Education

Does this mean they are going MCAT blind up until interviews?

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
can someone help me clarify if I should select "regular MD" or "combined degree" if I would like to apply to both the regular MD ( as well as PRIME) and the JMP program with berkeley? All I see on the website is "apply to UCSF" and I don't know what that means
For PRIME marking interest in Regular MD would be fine, and then they ask for PRIME interest through secondaries (I emailed admissions asking). If you want to apply to JMP, there's an option for that if I remember correctly when you add UCSF on AMCAS. I'm not sure about applying to both...when I emailed they got back within a matter of days so their response time is pretty good!

"For the 2021 Admissions Cycle, the University of California San Francisco School of Medicine will accept applications without an MCAT score due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
All candidates will be screened and interview decisions will be offered without utilization of an MCAT score."

- How to Apply to Medical School | UCSF Medical Education

Does this mean they are going MCAT blind up until interviews?
Selfishly, I really hope they still consider MCATs for people who have taken it cause that's one of the strongest parts of my app, but I'm really not sure how to read that statement

Reactions: 7 users
Selfishly, I really hope they still consider MCATs for people who have taken it cause that's one of the strongest parts of my app, but I'm really not sure how to read that statement

There’s a lot of schools that are doing this (Stanford). I think it is mostly encourage stellar candidates who have not been able to get an mcat score to apply. No way that the mcat will just be irrelevant for this cycle

For PRIME marking interest in Regular MD would be fine, and then they ask for PRIME interest through secondaries (I emailed admissions asking). If you want to apply to JMP, there's an option for that if I remember correctly when you add UCSF on AMCAS. I'm not sure about applying to both...when I emailed they got back within a matter of days so their response time is pretty good!
thank you! I went into the app and you're right, there's an option on the AMCAS, but it appears that applying to UCSF blocked me from adding the joint program :/. I've poured through their wording a couple extra times and think it looks like I'll be able to say I'm interested in JMP if I'm lucky enough to get a secondary, but I guess we'll see!

thank you! I went into the app and you're right, there's an option on the AMCAS, but it appears that applying to UCSF blocked me from adding the joint program :/. I've poured through their wording a couple extra times and think it looks like I'll be able to say I'm interested in JMP if I'm lucky enough to get a secondary, but I guess we'll see!

Incoming MS1. From what I recall in my portal, you have a program selection option embedded in the secondary. I wouldn't worry, so long as you're lucky enough to get a secondary

The joint statement for UC schools, signed by UCSF, states: "We will accept applications from individuals who were unable to take the MCAT due to COVID-related test cancellations. For these candidates, we will base secondary application decisions on the information that is available to us at the time of the application. Assuming that MCAT testing resumes prior to October, we will require applicants to have taken the MCAT before we make admissions decisions for the Class of 2025. Accordingly, applicants should not delay applying simply because an MCAT score is not yet available."

So if you have taken the MCAT and have a score, they will consider it when they review your application. If not, they will still proceed with your application, though MCAT is required for admission.

So if I'm reading it correctly, the MCAT will still be necessary before admission, but just not necessary for an interview invite

I believe that is how it will work, assuming they are following the same process as the other UC schools this year. It could be that the joint statement is outdated and they have since changed their policy, idk

I believe that is how it will work, assuming they are following the same process as the other UC schools this year. It could be that the joint statement is outdated and they have since changed their policy, idk
The change to their website happened after that joint UC statement so it's unclear how relevant that statement is still

• Sad
The change to their website happened after that joint UC statement so it's unclear how relevant that statement is still

Was gonna say this as well, they changed their statement which is a deviation from the joint statement in the sense that it makes concrete some vague expressions.

I don't see any way to write anything substantive in here without it sounding like repetitive fluff, unless I suppose you started a new activity since submitting the primary. I made sure to cover my activities thoroughly in the primary work/activities section.

This is my top choice school, and I don't want to be lacking anywhere in my application. But at the same time, I just don't see how/what I could write in here.

So that leads me to the question...will it reduce my chance for an interview if I leave this blank? If any admitted or current UCSF med students are here, what did you write for this?
This section is there as it says as an optional space for an
I just called the admissions office to get some clarification on the updated MCAT statement. The woman I spoke to noted that the expectation is still that everyone who can take the MCAT this cycle will take it. At this point, they are definitely not taking the "MCAT optional" approach that Stanford recently took. If COVID-19 related cancellations mean you are unable to complete the MCAT requirement, though, you are still eligible for admission this year. In my specific situation, I had earlier cancellations/postponements related to COVID-19 and am now scheduled to take the MCAT later this summer. However, I live in California where cases are currently skyrocketing and new restrictions were just announced, so I was inquiring what would happen if my rescheduled MCAT also gets canceled and I end up not being able to take it. In that case, my application would still be considered at UCSF.
The understanding is that they will not use the MCAT for Interview and pre-secondary screen, and they reserve the right to use for admissions if the process is normalized before October. That said if California if they exclude the test for those who cant not take it for COVID 19 for ethical and legal reasons they might have to do it for everyone. That's why Standford took that route.

I have a 511 but I'm retaking my test on August 14th. I didn't indicate on the primary that I plan to retake it, so that my app will still be evaluated at schools where 511 will suffice (quite a few have said that they will not consider the app until the new mcat score is in). Now I wanted to apply to Stanford and UCSF and thought I'll add them after my new mcat score comes out. Given that they're not using mcat scores until after the II, should I just add them to my list? Or should I wait for my new mcat score? Any insight will be appreciated!

I have a 511 but I'm retaking my test on August 14th. I didn't indicate on the primary that I plan to retake it, so that my app will still be evaluated at schools where 511 will suffice (quite a few have said that they will not consider the app until the new mcat score is in). Now I wanted to apply to Stanford and UCSF and thought I'll add them after my new mcat score comes out. Given that they're not using mcat scores until after the II, should I just add them to my list? Or should I wait for my new mcat score? Any insight will be appreciated!

Keep in mind they will see that 511 so the rest of your app should stick out in the opposite direction for better chances at an interview/secondary.

I would encourage you to add them now and get a head start on your secondary! That way, right when your MCAT score is released, they can evaluate your app. I think it would also better show them your interest in their school if you do it now.

Keep in mind they will see that 511 so the rest of your app should stick out in the opposite direction for better chances at an interview/secondary.
Are you saying it'll stick out in the opposite direction if I don't indicate that I'm retaking it?

511 is their 10th percentile i believe (maybe close), but how’s the rest of the app?

511 is their 10th percentile i believe (maybe close), but how’s the rest of the app?
My gpa is higher than their 25th percentile and my extracurriculars are very strong (plenty of volunteering (clinical and non-clinical), research and leadership)

My gpa is higher than their 25th percentile and my extracurriculars are very strong (plenty of volunteering (clinical and non-clinical), research and leadership)
Yeah, I'm a 511'er too. Didn't want to spend the time to retake bc I told myself 510+ is my goal. I'm still happy with it...

Stats don't matter for UCSF as much as you might be inclined to think. I think the defining trait I've noticed amongst all my incoming peers is a *demonstrated* commitment to an aspect of social justice.

Reactions: 4 users
Secondary received at 7:30 this morning! Prompts are exactly the same as last year (gap year, optional expand on your activities)

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
For the activities prompt, how should we approach it you think? I am thinking rather than the activities themselves so much, it's better to address what we learned from them and how it would contribute to UCSF's mission. Bc we already have all the activities in the primary. Is this the way to go?

For the activities prompt, how should we approach it you think? I am thinking rather than the activities themselves so much, it's better to address what we learned from them and how it would contribute to UCSF's mission. Bc we already have all the activities in the primary. Is this the way to go?
That's what I'm doing. I had four things that could've been MME's, so I expanded on the one that I didn't list as an MME on the primary and talked a bunch about what I learned from it.

UCSF is slow with their secondaries. They employ one of the most holistic reviews of primary applications. Only about half of the people who apply get secondaries. People in the incoming class got secondaries as late as October.

Reactions: 5 users
UCSF is slow with their secondaries. They employ one of the most holistic reviews of primary applications. Only about half of the people who apply get secondaries. People in the incoming class got secondaries as late as October.
I honestly appreciate that, like a lot. Nothing sucks more than wasting time and money on a secondary when they're just going to screen you out with an algorithm right after submission.

Reactions: 8 users
I just decided to add UCSF to my AMCAS app. I was already verified before July 10th. Am I considered late? First time applying to med school but I've always had some confusion with this whole "late" thing. Thanks to anything that can help!