2019-2020 UC San Francisco

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if they accept updates/letters of interest (from applicants on the waitlist)? The email only mentioned sending grades (I already graduated so not applicable)

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know if they accept updates/letters of interest (from applicants on the waitlist)? The email only mentioned sending grades (I already graduated so not applicable)

I sent an update/letter of interest post-interview, prior to decision and they accepted it

Reactions: 1 users
You can send in updates post-interview :)

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone else unable to see the SLR on the student portal? Im CA resident but it wont let me fill it out and declare residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
For folks on the waitlist, when is a good time to send update letters and will they even help?

For folks on the waitlist, when is a good time to send update letters and will they even help?

If you have a substantial update like a publication or big award I’m sure it’ll help some.

Honestly any time between now and April is a good time. I’d assume they just put it in your file for when you’re re-reviewed.

Gotcha. I was planning on staying at a university owned apartment though!
The issue with that is there is a lottery system (which you should enter ASAP if you are planning on using campus housing) and a maximum of 2 years is allowed on campus currently. Also, certain demographics have priority in the lottery.

You want to make sure that you have a backup available

Reactions: 1 user
If you have a substantial update like a publication or big award I’m sure it’ll help some.

Honestly any time between now and April is a good time. I’d assume they just put it in your file for when you’re re-reviewed.

If I have an oral presentation at a big conference the last week of March, will I still make it before the re-review if I send an update/LOI at the end of March/ 1st week of April?

Last edited:
If I have an oral presentation at a big conference the last week of March, will I still make it if I send an update/LOI at the end of March/ 1st week of April?

I would just update if you've already been selected for it. I don't think you have to wait until after. That's what I would do at least!

Just got the A, hoping this isn't a Mayo situation

Edit: interviewed 2/4

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users
Accepted :’) crying in the club rn

Reactions: 3 users
Interviewed January 16th!

Awesome! Congrats! I interviewed the week after you and have been so anxious waiting to hear back - yesterday I had a missed call from San Francisco (!!!) but it turned out to be junk and I was on edge for the rest of the day lol

• Haha
Waitlist here! Does anyone know UCSF's policy on letters of interest/intent?

I have a question if you interviewed for a specific program and got an alternate status update does it pertain to both the program as well as the general school of medicine? I can't recall but I felt as though on interview day for SJV prime they said admissions is separate for both. I got the alternate update from the general admissions email...are SJV decisions separate?

I have a question if you interviewed for a specific program and got an alternate status update does it pertain to both the program as well as the general school of medicine? I can't recall but I felt as though on interview day for SJV prime they said admissions is separate for both. I got the alternate update from the general admissions email...are SJV decisions separate?
I thought the website said at one point they consider us for SJV after accepting us, but you’re right at the interview they made it seem that there are 2 committees, one that decides if you will be admitted to SJV and one that decides if you will be admitted to the regular 4 year MD program. I hope it’s the latter, and I don’t know why they would say that at the interview if it wasn’t true.

Alternate list today. Super bummed. Does UCSF reject people post interview or is everyone either accepted or placed on this ethereal alternate list?

Alternate list today. Super bummed. Does UCSF reject people post interview or is everyone either accepted or placed on this ethereal alternate list?
From past threads, I read that 1/3 get accepted, 1/3 get waitlisted and 1/3 get rejected

• Love
I thought the website said at one point they consider us for SJV after accepting us, but you’re right at the interview they made it seem that there are 2 committees, one that decides if you will be admitted to SJV and one that decides if you will be admitted to the regular 4 year MD program. I hope it’s the latter, and I don’t know why they would say that at the interview if it wasn’t true.
Can you message me lol I had a question but it won't let me message you I totally get what your feeling same here super bummed :(

And about half the WL comes off

SUPPOSEDLY, hehe. According to MSAR it's more like a 1/3, but there have been rumors on here that in reality it's more like 1/2, so I'm not sure what to believe XD.

To reiterate what we thought earlier, I think (or deeply hope haha) that the discrepancy comes from people just leaving the waitlist, bringing it to more of a 1/2 seeming probability :)

• Wow
Received a reminder to fill out FAFSA for UCSF, though I have been waitlisted. Can someone please remind me if we are supposed to fill out FAFSA by the deadline even if we are waitlisted? Thank you :)

Received a reminder to fill out FAFSA for UCSF, though I have been waitlisted. Can someone please remind me if we are supposed to fill out FAFSA by the deadline even if we are waitlisted? Thank you :)
You should def fill out the FAFSA for everywhere you have interviewed at ...

Does fafsa have any relation to merit scholarships?

I don't think so in general. For most places (at least where I've interviewed) merit aid usually comes from the admissions office and has no relation to FASFA/relative need of the applicant or the financial aid office

@sjv prime candidates- I interviewed last month. I got my email that I was placed on alternate list this past Friday. I called admissions office today to ask if that email also pertained to SJV prime, and I was told that SJV prime would send out a separate email about their admission decision in the coming 2-3 weeks (which aligns with what we were told during our interview). Super bummed about my waitlist (yet simultaneously proud of myself for making it this far) but holding out hope for SJV prime :) hope this helped- good luck everyone!!

And about half the WL comes off

I really hope you're right but according to MSAR they took 50/150 ppl on the waitlist last year. Got the axe at ucla post ii today and really hope this school comes thru :cryi:

Did anyone on SDN report getting R post II yet?

Last edited:
I really hope you're right but according to MSAR they took 50/150 ppl on the waitlist last year. Got the axe at ucla today and really hope this school comes thru :cryi:

Did anyone on SDN report getting R post II yet?

Going off what Dr. Wofsy and students told me. I can't speak to MSAR #'s.

Also, does anyone know according to past years when waitlist movement occurs? I hear it all happens in May but is it only in May, beginning, middle or end, and/or does it go up until August?

Also, does anyone know according to past years when waitlist movement occurs? I hear it all happens in May but is it only in May, beginning, middle or end, and/or does it go up until August?

I met an MS1 during my interview day who got off the waitlist early April. But, I’m most movement will probably not occur until after April 30!

@sjv prime candidates- I interviewed last month. I got my email that I was placed on alternate list this past Friday. I called admissions office today to ask if that email also pertained to SJV prime, and I was told that SJV prime would send out a separate email about their admission decision in the coming 2-3 weeks (which aligns with what we were told during our interview). Super bummed about my waitlist (yet simultaneously proud of myself for making it this far) but holding out hope for SJV prime :) hope this helped- good luck everyone!!
Oh wow so you are on the waitlist for the Parnassus program and awaiting SJV?

Do those who interviewed remember what Dean Wofsy said about UCSF's plans to offer free tuition? I know he said the words "soon" and "priority," but I don't recall much beyond that.

• Wow