2019-2020 UC San Francisco

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Finally received the MD-PhD secondary, ya girl was going (admittedly unnecessarily) crazy lmao. OOS.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Any other MSTP applicants having trouble copying/pasting into the "Why UCSF MSTP" prompt?

Not sure if you're still having this issue but this happened to me for two essays. I think the boxes are miscounting the words and so if you're really close to/at the limit and try to paste, it does not work.

Not sure if you're still having this issue but this happened to me for two essays. I think the boxes are miscounting the words and so if you're really close to/at the limit and try to paste, it does not work.

Following up on this, because I spent too much time investigating it, I think it's specifically if you paste something with an apostrophe from Google Docs e.g., the text box may recognize it as two words so you would need to erase and retype it.

Following up on this, because I spent too much time investigating it, I think it's specifically if you paste something with an apostrophe from Google Docs e.g., the text box may recognize it as two words so you would need to erase and retype it.

Hmmm, interesting. I think I can only paste like 50 words though. When I transfer it over to Word Doc, it still doesn't work :(

Hmmm, interesting. I think I can only paste like 50 words though. When I transfer it over to Word Doc, it still doesn't work :(

Yeah, I had to paste it in chunks and change the apostrophes each time so that my whole text would fit.

Reactions: 1 user
Still no secondary, verified 7/9. Hoping for one in the next couple days.

Don't even know why I applied here, but still waiting for the secondary!

Members don't see this ad :)
+5....? Is UCSF historically this late/sporadic in sending out secondaries? or is there some secret screen/specific apps they look for?
+6 I have all of my secondaries except Stanford (supposedly don’t screen) and UCSF. Maybe it’s a Bay Area thing?

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
+5....? Is UCSF historically this late/sporadic in sending out secondaries? or is there some secret screen/specific apps they look for?
UCSF has a thorough screen that cuts 1/2 to 2/3 of all primaries. About 2500 secondaries are sent in total.

• Wow
+6 I have all of my secondaries except Stanford (supposedly don’t screen) and UCSF. Maybe it’s a Bay Area thing?
Don't think so. I got one from Stanford when I had no business getting one.

Reactions: 1 users
Don't think so. I got one from Stanford when I had no business getting one.
Haha spoke too soon. Got Stanford’s today. UCSF IT DON’T COST NOTHIN TO SHOW A PREMED SOME LOVE!

Haha spoke too soon. Got Stanford’s today. UCSF IT DON’T COST NOTHIN TO SHOW A PREMED SOME LOVE!

Yeah but if they really don't want us, they'll be saving us $80 too lol

Reactions: 4 users
What if my application got stuck to the back of somebody else's and they missed it... Come on UCSF!

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Same, got Stanford's today. Now I'm just waiting on UCSF and Cal SM!

OOS Secondary received...anyone know if their screen is purely stats or if they read primary?

How do you know this

on a previous year's thread i recall seeing these numbers:

(from a current student's report based on what was said during interview day)
~7,000 applications
~2,500 secondaries
~ 500 interviews
~ 270 acceptances

--
the number of acceptances seems too high considering that the enrolled class is usually ~150/yr
I would think the number of acceptances was likely more like ~170

other stats from the mstp page on UCSF's own site:

AMCAS applications indicating MSTP: 635
Secondary applications: 522
Interviewed: 60
Matriculated: 11
I disagree - an 88% yield is astronomical. 270 sounds about right - remember that the caliber of applicant they are typically accepting usually has acceptances to other top schools.
To echo the poster above me - keep in mind that UCSF (unlike a few of its peer institutions) doesn't give out merit aid. There's absolutely no way that we could have an 88% yield with Geffens and other funding sources out there.

I can also confirm that those were the numbers they gave during my application cycle. I doubt they've changed significantly in a few years, though, so they should still be accurate.

Let's see if my quoting works...this was from 2 cycles ago
Source: 2017-2018 University of California - San Francisco

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
No secondary here either. 519/3.86, OOS, very good private school, extensive research/volunteering/leadership w/ pub. If we didn't get one by today, is it safe to assume that we won't get one at all?
I think they say on the website it can take up to 10 weeks for them to review primaries and send out secondaries

we didn't get one by today, is it safe to assume that we won't get one at all?
No... look at last year’s thread. People kept getting them slowly into mid August. I think their holistic screen just takes a while.

Also, I wouldn’t assume anything in this process until you receive an A or an R.

My experience last year was that UCSF sent some of their secondaries pretty late, it was one of the last ones that I got, which later august, so I definitely would not be stressing at all.

My experience last year was that UCSF sent some of their secondaries pretty late, it was one of the last ones that I got, which later august, so I definitely would not be stressing at all.

I agree.
And Honestly,
What does it matter?
You’re still in the running until you’re rejected. Right?
I don’t understand the obsession with getting or not getting secondaries right away. Or submitting early vs 1, 2, or 3 weeks later.
It’s barely after the middle of July for crying out loud.
If they want you, they’ll send you a secondary. If not, then they won’t. Send them an email, if it makes you feel better. But why obsess about it? Just focus on making your other secondaries count.

I get the stress because honestly, some school go so quickly it's unbelievable. Last year for one school I was complete early august, and by the time I got an interview the earliest dates were in February!

I don't think UCSF goes nearly that fast though.

No secondary here either. 519/3.86, OOS, very good private school, extensive research/volunteering/leadership w/ pub. If we didn't get one by today, is it safe to assume that we won't get one at all?
update: I just got a secondary like 5 minutes ago so they are definitely still sending them out and you should not be concerned.

Last edited:
Secondary received just now, OOS. My primary was verified back in June so everyone waiting just relax and focus on other secondaries until this one comes

Secondary Received, OOS, LM 74

Can someone list the full MD prompts? In previous pages its hard to tell whats the verbatim questions

Can someone list the full MD prompts? In previous pages its hard to tell whats the verbatim questions
1. Applicants are interviewed by invitation only. Please note that we do not conduct regional interviews. Interviews are scheduled from September to February (days vary). Please let us know if you will be out of the country during the interview season. (300 words)

2. If you wish to update or expand upon your activities, you may provide additional information below. (500 words)

3. If you are 2019 or earlier college graduate, please use the space below to tell us what you have done since completing your undergraduate degree. (350 words)
It's not a very demanding secondary. Some applicants won't have to answer anything at all!

Thank you! I take it that the second prompt can be used as a diversity essay?
I actually have no idea--personally I was planning to just update my research and clinical volunteering activities. Maybe check last year's thread to see how other people have approached it?

Is it worth trying to mention somewhere (as an OOS applicant) that I have immediate and extended family in SF? Or is this pointless unless they are connected to UCSF?

Is it worth trying to mention somewhere (as an OOS applicant) that I have immediate and extended family in SF? Or is this pointless unless they are connected to UCSF?
It couldn't hurt because you never know. I don't think it will help though.

I figured I would mention it if given the opportunity in an interview but couldn't imagine it would make the difference between getting an II or not so I left it out.

You think I could use "If you wish to update or expand upon your activities, you may provide additional information below. (500 words)" as an adversity essay? My dad has Parkinson's disease and I wanna talk about that.

You think I could use "If you wish to update or expand upon your activities, you may provide additional information below. (500 words)" as an adversity essay? My dad has Parkinson's disease and I wanna talk about that.
I don't think that fits the prompt unless you interwove it with one of your activities. I'm struggling with the same thing...

Absolutely do not do this.

Reactions: 5 users
The risk of writing something bad likely doesn’t justify potential reward