2019-2020 UNC - Chapel Hill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got a scholarship!! The email was from Melissa Hernandez with the subject line
UNC SOM Update on Scholarship Application

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Any international students received admission here, MSAR counts international as OOS but just want to get a sense if they actually accept internationals.

Hi All I am starting my reapplication process if any of you were reapplicants and received any feedback on your prior unsuccessful application could you share it with me. I know that the feedback you received was specific for your application and may not apply to me. I’m just trying to get a general idea on what to work on since I will not get any feedback since I am on the WL and until all spots are filled I’m guessing. I was told by the admissions office to reach out for feedback on my application if I was unsuccessful. Not sure what that timeline looks like July/2020 orientation date? Thank you all and all the best for all that you will pursue!

Reactions: 1 users
I was a 3rd time reapplicant this cycle and am currently on the waitlist (I got 5 other MD acceptances though, so I’m set). When I was getting feedback last year I was told by a former member of the UNC adcom that there is a specific reapplicant committee that scores your application on how much it has changed since you last applied- if that score isn’t high enough, no matter how good your application is, you will not receive an interview.

I found that insight extremely helpful. I did receive interview invites in back to back years (last cycle I was outright rejected months after my interview), but I still haven’t been accepted so take that as you will. You can message me if you’d like details on my experience.

Hi All I am starting my reapplication process if any of you were reapplicants and received any feedback on your prior unsuccessful application could you share it with me. I know that the feedback you received was specific for your application and may not apply to me. I’m just trying to get a general idea on what to work on since I will not get any feedback since I am on the WL and until all spots are filled I’m guessing. I was told by the admissions office to reach out for feedback on my application if I was unsuccessful. Not sure what that timeline looks like July/2020 orientation date? Thank you all and all the best for all that you will pursue!
I know two people who were rejected from UNC (in previous cycles though) and they were both told it was because they did not have enough clinical experience.

I was a 3rd time reapplicant this cycle and am currently on the waitlist (I got 5 other MD acceptances though, so I’m set). When I was getting feedback last year I was told by a former member of the UNC adcom that there is a specific reapplicant committee that scores your application on how much it has changed since you last applied- if that score isn’t high enough, no matter how good your application is, you will not receive an interview.
Wow...for those who were waitlisted but then had to reapply, I am not sure how big of changes they can really make. If UNC liked an applicant enough to interview and waitlist them, there probably was not anything severely lacking in their application in their first place. Also maybe the only thing that kept them out was their interview performance, in that case to the reapplicant committee the application score pre-II won't be much different, but maybe the applicant has learned better interviewing skills. This process is so complicated, but I really appreciate those of you who contribute to forums to add a little transparency to this mess lol. I sincerely wish the best of luck to any reapplicants!

I found that insight extremely helpful. I did receive interview invites in back to back years (last cycle I was outright rejected months after my interview), but I still haven’t been accepted so take that as you will. You can message me if you’d like details on my experience.
Thank you SO MUCH! All the best to you, that is awesome to get 5 acceptances!

Thank you!! I am extremely grateful for my success

I know two people who were rejected from UNC (in previous cycles though) and they were both told it was because they did not have enough clinical experience.

The feedback I received from UNC was also regarding clinical experience. It was not very helpful bc the woman I spoke with was rushed and kind of contradictory but she said I needed longitudinal clinical experience. I was finishing up a year with americorps in a clinical setting so I guess she didn’t really count that experience until the following year when I was able to talk about it in my personal statement. (Aka part of why I was able to show “significant change/improvement” in my application and receive an II)

The feedback I received from UNC was also regarding clinical experience. It was not very helpful bc the woman I spoke with was rushed and kind of contradictory but she said I needed longitudinal clinical experience. I was finishing up a year with americorps in a clinical setting so I guess she didn’t really count that experience until the following year when I was able to talk about it in my personal statement. (Aka part of why I was able to show “significant change/improvement” in my application and receive an II)
Wow, but weren't you able to speak about your experiences by the time you had your interview? That really sucks that they wanted it in the PS. That might be why I also was waitlisted, I began my main clinical experience while I was applying. I did have my UNC interview months after though and I was able to speak about my clinical experiences there. But I guess I did not have much written about it in the primary application.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know how scholarships work? Was just awarded a hefty merit-based scholarship (which is probably the best thing that has happened to me other than getting in). I am incredibly grateful but also a little worried they made a mistake because my stats are average and I haven't even filled out the scholarship app yet.

Edit: Actually jk just looked it up and 3/4 of students get scholarships which makes this seem more real!! https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-medical-schools/public-financial-aid-rankings

Sorry to bother with my dumb question lol and s/o to UNC for helping so many of us :love:

Last edited:
  • Love
Not sure how many people are still checking this forum, but does anyone happen to have a copy of the UNC admissions requirements from the 2019/2020 cycle (or know how to access the archived page)? I just looked over the new course prerequisite requirements that have been updated for the 2020/2021 cycle and they seem to have changed significantly. I would like to be able to compare the new cycle requirements vs. last year's requirements. Feel free to DM me. Thanks in advance!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure how many people are still checking this forum, but does anyone happen to have a copy of the UNC admissions requirements from the 2019/2020 cycle (or know how to access the archived page)? I just looked over the new course prerequisite requirements that have been updated for the 2020/2021 cycle and they seem to have changed significantly. I would like to be able to compare the new cycle requirements vs. last year's requirements. Feel free to DM me. Thanks in advance!!!

Check out this archive: Prerequisites and MCATs — admit

Does anyone know if UNC makes any exceptions to their stats course requirement as well as the requirement for 30 hours of post-bacc coursework if you are outside of the 5 year limit on pre-reqs? I am several years out from undergrad and did a formal post-bacc program, but that was only 24 hours...

IS students - did you fill out the RDS on the secondary? I’m a month away from the 12 months needed for NC “residency”. I don’t know if they follow RDS or AMCAS to determine residency for admission.

Dumb question, but I shouldn't send in a final transcript right? Final transcripts would be considered an application update and therefore a no-no, correct?

What does the commit to enroll date mean? If the date is July 8, when do I have to commit by? Is it before July 8 like on July 7 at 11:59, is it by business hours on July 8 or July 8 at 11:59 pm?

What does the commit to enroll date mean? If the date is July 8, when do I have to commit by? Is it before July 8 like on July 7 at 11:59, is it by business hours on July 8 or July 8 at 11:59 pm?
If I were you I would play it safe and do July 7th at 11:59 that way you don’t risk losing your spot. I understand that you may be on a waitlist elsewhere but if you push it off too late you are chancing beIng out of school entirely.