2019-2020 UNC - Chapel Hill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone want to stage a coup and create another UNC SOM c/o 2024 FB page? I’ve been pending on the current one for like 1.5 months & am starting to get antsy about housing, etc.

Would recommend you join this fb group for housing (I know it says subleasing, but it's pretty much for any kind of lease and a lot of people who post are in graduate programs, not just undergrad): UNC Chapel Hill Subleases, Roommates, Off Campus Housing & Apartments

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey! In regards to transcripts, can we send electronic versions of official transcripts? Or should we only get paper copies mailed to the address they gave us?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! In regards to transcripts, can we send electronic versions of official transcripts? Or should we only get paper copies mailed to the address they gave us?
I sent mine electronically through the national clearinghouse website. No confirmation yet though so choose whichever you feel the safest!

If your school uses Clearinghouse to submit electronic transcripts, use Clearinghouse. If not, mail them.

Hey! I think making a new page would be a great idea. I know the area well and I feel like OOS students are going to miss out on great housing opportunities if we don't begin contacting each other to look for housing.

In all seriousness, here is their address.

UNC School of Medicine Office of Admissions
School of Medicine
321 S. Columbia Street
Ste. 1001 Bondurant Hall, CB #9500
Chapel Hill, NC
27599–9500
LOL thanks. I was under the wrong impression that now that everything is shut down we had to send them electronically to a specific person or mail them directly to an individual (the university is closed due to COVID-19). I already sent my transcripts electronically, super easy

I sent mine electronically through the national clearinghouse website. No confirmation yet though so choose whichever you feel the safest!
If your school uses Clearinghouse to submit electronic transcripts, use Clearinghouse. If not, mail them.
Hey! Thank you both for your help! It looks like my undergraduate and graduate institutions don't use the national clearinghouse so I guess I'm getting them mailed and hoping someone is there to process them!

Anyone know if UNC requires a background check? I thought I saw something about it in an early email, but I have been searching my inbox and cannot find anything referencing background checks. Thanks!!

Anyone know if UNC requires a background check? I thought I saw something about it in an early email, but I have been searching my inbox and cannot find anything referencing background checks. Thanks!!

If you've already done a Certiphi background check because you received an earlier acceptance before UNC, you don't have to do it again. All the panicked googling I did says that you only ever have to complete this once (per cycle). This would explain why you haven't received an email from UNC about it!

If you've already done a Certiphi background check because you received an earlier acceptance before UNC, you don't have to do it again. All the panicked googling I did says that you only ever have to complete this once (per cycle). This would explain why you haven't received an email from UNC about it!
lol, I appreciate you doing the panicked googling because I was headed that way! Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on you all’s acceptances! Hopefully this is an okay place to post this, but I’m applying this upcoming cycle and am wondering if having ties to the med school as an OOS is important/will help me significantly (immediate family member at UNC health).

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

From my experience, I don't think ties are enough as an OOS. You need to show you've either lived in NC at some point, have plans to stay in NC, and demonstrated service to people in NC to be able to get in.

Has anybody noticed that UNC changed their pre-reqs for the 2021 cycle? I'm trying to find the old ones (for this cycle) just to make sure I'm not missing any courses since I got accepted.

Has anybody noticed that UNC changed their pre-reqs for the 2021 cycle? I'm trying to find the old ones (for this cycle) just to make sure I'm not missing any courses since I got accepted.
I noticed that they changed the pre-reqs and they are wayyyyyyy harder in my opinion. I'm sorry I don't have what the old requirements are. I would send an email to double check. But let me just rant about how I think the only area they decreased requirements was in chemistry where its now "Three chemistry courses are required including a biochemistry course" which doesn't help UNC students at all because they need to take Gen Chem 1, Gen Chem 2, Analytical Chem, Orgo 1, AND Orgo 2 before they can even take biochem. So that is actually 6 required courses if you don't have AP credit.

I noticed that they changed the pre-reqs and they are wayyyyyyy harder in my opinion. I'm sorry I don't have what the old requirements are. I would send an email to double check. But let me just rant about how I think the only area they decreased requirements was in chemistry where its now "Three chemistry courses are required including a biochemistry course" which doesn't help UNC students at all because they need to take Gen Chem 1, Gen Chem 2, Analytical Chem, Orgo 1, AND Orgo 2 before they can even take biochem. So that is actually 6 required courses if you don't have AP credit.

Not to mention they no longer take AP courses for pre-reqs! I think they are way harder too.

Thank you! From that archived website, I am assuming only the 2019/2020 chart applies to us?

Correct, we're the last cycle that the 2019/2020 chart with the old requirements applies to

Correct, we're the last cycle that the 2019/2020 chart with the old requirements applies to

Does anyone have any idea if Community college courses were ok? I took one of my chemistries at a CC ....

Just got scholarship info! Nice letter just notifying me, immediately saw an update on my portal.

Reactions: 10 users
Has anyone’s transcript been received yet? I know they sent an email about it but I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t the only one still with a red x.

My transcripts haven't been received either. My undergrad processed the transcript request on 4/2 (I requested a physical copy to be mailed to UNC).

Does anyone know if your transcripts have to be received in order to receive financial aid? On UNC's acceptance email it says "Failure to provide the required transcripts confirming successful completion of coursework....could result in a stop on your account which will prevent you from receiving financial aid."

My transcripts haven't been received either. My undergrad processed the transcript request on 4/2 (I requested a physical copy to be mailed to UNC).

Does anyone know if your transcripts have to be received in order to receive financial aid? On UNC's acceptance email it says "Failure to provide the required transcripts confirming successful completion of coursework....could result in a stop on your account which will prevent you from receiving financial aid."

I received financial aid info yesterday and only ordered transcripts from all institutions on Monday morning. Hard copies so they definitely haven't arrived yet. I assume if they take issue with my transcripts they'll take their money back :O

I appreciate your response. My last name is in the middle of the alphabet so I’m not entirely sure if they have even gotten to mine yet. I sent mine electronically on December 18th and received my financial aid package so I don’t think it will prevent you from receiving it.

For those that have received scholarship notification, did your package exclusively include merit scholarship, or also need-based? I received mine, but was surprised that there was not a need-based component.

For those that have received scholarship notification, did your package exclusively include merit scholarship, or also need-based? I received mine, but was surprised that there was not a need-based component.

Only received a merit scholarship! I was a little surprised that there wasn't a need-based scholarship, but I don't think UNC SoM really does those?

Only received a merit scholarship! I was a little surprised that there wasn't a need-based scholarship, but I don't think UNC SoM really does those?

From posts I've seen on this forum, I recall UNC being much more selective with application FAP than other schools. I'd imagine their scholarships would operate the same way if this were the case.

Anyone want to stage a coup and create another UNC SOM c/o 2024 FB page? I’ve been pending on the current one for like 1.5 months & am starting to get antsy about housing, etc.

I can't help with the FB page, but I can potentially help with the UNC housing component. As a graduate of one of UNCs residencies, I certainly want to rent this townhome to a UNC resident or med student. I would discount the rent for a longer term renter. With this COVID business, I know this must be a crazy time for a med student or resident to try to move to a location and find housing when you can't travel. So, I'd be willing to do Zoom/WhatsApp tours for studentdoctor folks. The place has a super convenient location in Chapel Hill, is lake front and right on the FREE transit line. PM if interested.

Stay safe,
UNC_gas

Reactions: 1 users
No email and no connect Carolina aid information for me either - I just assume it’s a little slower with everything going on right now.

I don't think everybody got an email about their financial aid package but you should be able to view it through your connectcarolina!

Just found it in my junk folder today, but on 4/10 I got offered a $35k a year merit scholarship. I'm in-state so basically full tuition!

Full disclosure, idk how much of this was my own merit and how much was some advocating from some influential donor friends. I can't quite actually believe I got such a scholarship!

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users
Just found it in my junk folder today, but on 4/10 I got offered a $35k a year merit scholarship. I'm in-state so basically full tuition!

Full disclosure, idk how much of this was my own merit and how much was some advocating from some influential donor friends. I can't quite actually believe I got such a scholarship!
CONGRATULATIONS!!!! That’s huge!

same here!!! huge congratulations to you!!!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
I only got offered loans :( Does anyone know if UNC matches/negotiates?

It doesn't really seem like UNC gives out any need based grants (Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I don't recall hearing of anyone getting need based grants). It never hurts to ask though.

• Wow
The subject line for me was "UNC SOM Update on Scholarship Application."

I also just now withdrew my acceptance and declined the scholarship offer. So hopefully they award the scholarship to someone else! Good luck everyone.

Reactions: 5 users
Is anyone else still waiting for their transcript to be marked "received"

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats to all who have received good news! Has anyone reached out to admissions to ask if they are still putting together scholarship offers? Not sure if these decisions are ongoing or pretty much wrapped up.

Congrats to all who have received good news! Has anyone reached out to admissions to ask if they are still putting together scholarship offers? Not sure if these decisions are ongoing or pretty much wrapped up.
Nope, but would like to know!

I'm guessing that there are more people like me that are currently declining offers that will take some turn around before they hopefully get offered to other people.

I have the exact same question. Would like to know my final financial aid/grant/scholarship package from UNC before having to make a final decision on where I go :(

Does anyone know if accepting my scholarship offer on UNC med portal is basically confirming that I am committed to UNC? Asking because my scholarship acceptance deadline is April 24th but technically AMCAS deadline for committing to a school is April 30th.

How are we doing fellow waitlisters? We’re in the home stretch of waiting before possible movement occurs!! Staying cautiously optimistic while planning to reapply, just wanted to stop by so I feel less alone in the wait lol #staystrongfriends

Reactions: 16 users
How are we doing fellow waitlisters? We’re in the home stretch of waiting before possible movement occurs!! Staying cautiously optimistic while planning to reapply, just wanted to stop by so I feel less alone in the wait lol #staystrongfriends
Not bad but really desperate for a phone call! I just got my only acceptance today from a DO school - they require a deposit within 14 days of acceptance. Anything I can do here?