2019-2020 UNC - Chapel Hill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Not bad but really desperate for a phone call! I just got my only acceptance today from a DO school - they require a deposit within 14 days of acceptance. Anything I can do here?
Haha a phone call would be fabulous. CONGRATULATIONS!!!! YOU’RE GOING TO BE A DOCTOR! I know you must be excited! Idk about you but knowing me I’d wait till day 12/13 to put that deposit down since I hear they’re expensive lol. Just because based on previous threads there’s a good amount of movement in the 1st half of May.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Not bad but really desperate for a phone call! I just got my only acceptance today from a DO school - they require a deposit within 14 days of acceptance. Anything I can do here?
I would agree with waiting. I got accepted to 2 DO schools but unfortunately they were far between so I paid both deposits. I am hoping I get an acceptance here, and if that happens I would be out almost $3500. That 's a whole lot of $$, especially if you are trying to pay rent and whatnot and still save for upcoming medschool expenses. I don't regret it, obviously, since I will be attending med school either way, but if you can do it without burning through your savings then that will be much better:)

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Any waitlisters heard anything??

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody still waiting for transcripts to be marked as received?

Reactions: 2 users
UNC doesn't take any sort of updates/LOIs right? Asking because I know some other schools that start accepting such updates after April 30th.

UNC doesn't take any sort of updates/LOIs right? Asking because I know some other schools that start accepting such updates after April 30th.
As far as I’m aware they still don’t accept them since they didn’t say otherwise in the Wait List invite. If you find out this isn’t the case please let us know!

As far as I’m aware they still don’t accept them since they didn’t say otherwise in the Wait List invite. If you find out this isn’t the case please let us know!
Thank you! Definitely will let you know if I find out anything :)

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Gonna go with no since they all caps, bolded, and highlighted to not send anything in the waitlist email.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Gonna go with no since they all caps, bolded, and highlighted to not send anything in the waitlist email.
lol just went back to my WL email. My bad, thanks for pointing out haha

Reactions: 1 users
Current UNC med student here. This is my first time posting but I had some downtime due to COVID-19. I'm happy to answer any questions about med school with the disclaimer that views are my own. Congrats on choosing an amazing career and hope to meet some of you one day as colleagues.

Reactions: 4 users
Yes, I'm still waiting. I am not convinced it will ever be marked as received! :confused:
I talked to the admissions people and they are going through the transcripts one by one. The point they made over and over was that the transcript thing is not something to worry about and that they will contact you with issues but right now they are just trying to go through them

I talked to the admissions people and they are going through the transcripts one by one. The point they made over and over was that the transcript thing is not something to worry about and that they will contact you with issues but right now they are just trying to go through them
guuuurrl at first i thought this was wrt waitlist selection and i was like "NO PLEASE GOD NO" lmao

congrats to all yall accepted folks!!

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users
Has anyone who withdrew their offer of admission received the deposit back? If so, how (check in the mail?)?

Good luck to everyone on the waitlist!

Welp
giphy.gif

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 4 users
Congrats!!! That’s awesome news, you must be ecstatic! If you don’t mind me asking, are you IS or OOS?
Thanks!! I’m IS and had gotten so used to answering spam calls with the 919 area code so I wasn’t really expecting it to be the dean

I know you guys are going to be hearing good news soon too!

Reactions: 7 users
Does anyone know if UNC looks favorably or negatively on reapplicants? Especially ones who were waitlisted. Or does that not affect anything when they're reviewing candidates?

Does anyone know if UNC looks favorably or negatively on reapplicants? Especially ones who were waitlisted. Or does that not affect anything when they're reviewing candidates?
Not sure in terms of if you’re on waitlist but I think they give reapplicants a fair review. I was told that there’s a special committee that reviews both your old and new apps in addition to the regular decision committee just to compare. The reapplicants I know personally ended up getting in this cycle! Granted a handful did do the MED summer program at some point before their reapp and allegedly that makes a big difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure in terms of if you’re on waitlist but I think they give reapplicants a fair review. I was told that there’s a special committee that reviews both your old and new apps in addition to the regular decision committee just to compare. The reapplicants I know personally ended up getting in this cycle! Granted a handful did do the MED summer program at some point before their reapp and allegedly that makes a big difference.
I'm not on the adcom, but I know many reapplicants who got in. I think reapplying demonstrates a commitment to the field, which is looked upon favorably. Reapplicants who are able to demonstrate improvements from the last cycle and clearly articulate these in their new application tend to have the most success in my very subjective opinion

• Love

So I was a reapplicant for this cycle (was not even given an interview last year at UNC), and I felt like I was fairly evaluated. My biggest piece of advice would be to submit your re-app early! Make sure you highlight the improvements you have made to your applications, but as someone else mentioned, they do two reviews of reapplicants' applications so there will likely be a delay in your interview date. My traditional interviewer this year was actually someone who was also a reapplicant, and I felt like that enhanced our conversation and connection! Best of luck either way!

I GOT ACCEPTED!!!! Got the call about an hour ago, been too busy happy-sobbing on the floor to post about it. This is my first and only acceptance, after years and years of applying. Can’t wait to meet all of you!

• Love
Reactions: 19 users
Anybody who received a scholarship still not seeing it display in their Connect Carolina?

Any of you folks lucky enough to get in off the wait list willing to share stats?

Anybody who received a scholarship still not seeing it display in their Connect Carolina?
Haven't seen anything in my Connect Carolina either, but seems like things are just delayed. I got the initial call about mine a little after Easter, but it just showed up in my portal (slate?) like last week