2019-2020 UT Medical Branch

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
“Forcing people” @texasvandy ?
It is a match system, and one that sorts out the admitted students in a rational manner allowing them to rank their preferred schools. There is still the chance to move on to a waitlisted school between Feb and June.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
“Forcing people” @texasvandy ?
It is a match system, and one that sorts out the admitted students in a rational manner allowing them to rank their preferred schools. There is still the chance to move on to a waitlisted school between Feb and June.
People are not ready to make decisions in January but forced to make it. All admitted days happen after that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure, any current/accepted students have any advice on interviews here?

I know it sounds cliche, but just be yourself and don't sweat the interview. I felt both of my interviews were very high pressure (and I interviewed at ~ 8 other schools), but I just rolled with the punches. Our class is really diverse and there is a wide range of MCAT's and GPA's. That being said, most matriculates seem to fall into the extremely high GPA + median MCAT category. That is probably a bit of school preference and a bit of candidate preference. My best advice to prepare for interviews is to read the previous interview feedback here on SDN, as I found it very helpful.

As for stats, last I checked it was around 4-5k applications, 1k interviews, and 230 matriculants. I would guess they accept somewhere in the neighborhood of ~400 so, if you get an interview and do well you have a decent chance of matching. Overall, UTMB is an amazing school and probably the most laid back student body in the state. Thankfully, I brought a couple of gunner friends with me so that I would have someone to study STEP with before orientation even started :D

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I know it sounds cliche, but just be yourself and don't sweat the interview. I felt both of my interviews were very high pressure (and I interviewed at ~ 8 other schools), but I just rolled with the punches. Our class is really diverse and there is a wide range of MCAT's and GPA's. That being said, most matriculates seem to fall into the extremely high GPA + median MCAT category. That is probably a bit of school preference and a bit of candidate preference. My best advice to prepare for interviews is to read the previous interview feedback here on SDN, as I found it very helpful.

As for stats, last I checked it was around 4-5k applications, 1k interviews, and 230 matriculants. I would guess they accept somewhere in the neighborhood of ~400 so, if you get an interview and do well you have a decent chance of matching. Overall, UTMB is an amazing school and probably the most laid back student body in the state. Thankfully, I brought a couple of gunner friends with me so that I would have someone to study STEP with before orientation even started :D
You have any inside scoop as to why utmb interviews that many people? Seems like most other tx schools interview 600-800 people, 1100 seems like a ton especially for only ~400 acceptances

So has anyone been invited for August 16 yet, or no? I assume most of their August 2 and 9 invites have already been sent

You have any inside scoop as to why utmb interviews that many people? Seems like most other tx schools interview 600-800 people, 1100 seems like a ton especially for only ~400 acceptances
Don’t question it, it’s another chance for an interview !! ;)

ugh I know its way too early to be freaking out, but I can't help it...transmitted to all TMDSAS schools 05/21 and took the CASPer Exam 05/14, LizzyM 71 (511/4.00)...still waiting in silence

Members don't see this ad :)
First LOR: 05/01. MCAT score: 05/08. First Transcript: 05/17. Second (and last) Transcript: 05/30. Second (and last) LOR (committee packet): 06/19...I mean it could be that last letter holding me back, but I wouldn't think so. Don't a lot of schools send out ii's even without all the rec letters being in?

First LOR: 05/01. MCAT score: 05/08. First Transcript: 05/17. Second (and last) Transcript: 05/30. Second (and last) LOR (committee packet): 06/19...I mean it could be that last letter holding me back, but I wouldn't think so. Don't a lot of schools send out ii's even without all the rec letters being in?
I believe most schools don't extend interviews invites until your app is complete. Don't worry though I'm in the same boat. LM 75 transmitted 5/16, Committee Packet received 6/21.

Reactions: 1 users
I believe most schools don't extend interviews invites until your app is complete. Don't worry though I'm in the same boat. LM 75 transmitted 5/16, Committee Packet received 6/21.
Did you get a completion email? I was transmitted with everything 6/25 and have heard nothing from here and Long

I did not receive a confirmation email but received an II this morning. LM 70 and app was probably complete last week of June (not sure since I didn’t receive a confirm email).

If I'm applying to Texas only schools and marked only TMDSAS schools on my distribution list before taking my CASPer, but only wrote my AMCAS ID (instead of, you know, my TMDSAS ID), do you think the "Results delivered" is actually accurate? Will Texas schools still be able to process this or would they have just tossed the score because there was no associated AMCAS ID in their database? (I've emailed UTMB to make sure, but I wanted to see if anyone else had an answer.)

Contacting the schools would be good, but you can also use the support feature in the bottom right corner of the website and ask them. They can also add your TMDSAS ID to your account.
It's possible that the schools may have received it but they're just not able to link it to your application so they've put it to the side. Contact CASPER and the schools to make sure that everything is fine.

Those are merely the stats I compiled last cycle by looking at total applications vs interviews. My guess as to perhaps why they might interview a higher percentage than other schools would be that they don't have secondaries. A secondary essay can be a method of being more selective of applicants for interviews. I would wager that UTMB has decided that interviewing someone tells them more than they could get from a secondary.

On a side note, the profs are great so far.

Are we supposed to get confirmation from the school that they've received our casper? The casper website says my scores were sent, but I haven't received anything from the schools.

Are we supposed to get confirmation from the school that they've received our casper? The casper website says my scores were sent, but I haven't received anything from the schools.
I don’t think they send a separate message to you about that.

I did not receive a confirmation email but received an II this morning. LM 70 and app was probably complete last week of June (not sure since I didn’t receive a confirm email).
When did you transmit?

If I transmitted on 6/24 but my LoR's didn't come in until 7/8 and still haven't received a confirmation email should i be worried? Getting nervous

If I transmitted on 6/24 but my LoR's didn't come in until 7/8 and still haven't received a confirmation email should i be worried? Getting nervous
I transmitted on 6/12 and was complete. No email yet, so don’t worry.

Last edited:
II received this afternoon.
GPA 4.0
MCAT 506
OOS but attended IS school

Reactions: 3 users
If I transmitted my app 5/24, but my committee letter was uploaded on 7/16 (IKR, my school is really late with their committee letters), do I still have a chance? I've literally been waiting almost 2 months for my committee letter and I haven't heard anything from any TMDSAS schools....

If I transmitted my app 5/24, but my committee letter was uploaded on 7/16 (IKR, my school is really late with their committee letters), do I still have a chance? I've literally been waiting almost 2 months for my committee letter and I haven't heard anything from any TMDSAS schools....

You will be fine.

you should be fine. They are only issuing interviews for August and September at the moment.
UTMB requires CASPer score also for an interview.

you dont need your transcripts sent to TMDSAS to be given an interview. So its not the transcripts

Ahh mine was transmitted June 24th and I haven't received a confirmation yet.. should I be worried?

Last year the confirmation email went out on June 28th for the early apps and the next batch got an email on July 10th. We’ve got to wait a bit.
ahh, so this is what I get for submitting 7/23 . well at least I know to wait

Transmitted 5/15 but still haven’t heard back yet. LM 75 and my letters + transcript + Casper have been in for over a month. Anyone else in a similar situation?

Transmitted 5/15 but still haven’t heard back yet. LM 75 and my letters + transcript + Casper have been in for over a month. Anyone else in a similar situation?
Transmitted 6/12 and was complete but have not heard from UTMB either.

Ahh mine was transmitted June 24th and I haven't received a confirmation yet.. should I be worried?

same i haven't gotten anything at all. everything should be in as well. but since it's all of us, maybe they're just taking their time?

Same. Mine was transmitted 5/22 LM 70 and everything is in. I received confirmation emails but no invites yet so I'm starting to panic tbh.

LM74 and everything been submitted since mid June, so in the same boat if it makes you feel better

Hey! Just received an email with II. I transmitted early June, but my CASPer score wasn't sent until about a week ago. LM 75 and a non-trad.

I also just received an email II! LM ~75. They only give one date for interviews and don’t reschedule.

II!! It's scheduled for the same date as another one of my interviews though and UTMB says they don't reschedule...

II!! It's scheduled for the same date as another one of my interviews though and UTMB says they don't reschedule...
I have had this issue with multiple interviews and called even when they said they don't reschedule. The offices were always accommodating and rescheduled me.