2019-2020 Western Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are there any current students lurking who can comment on WMed’s COVID response? Are they communicative? Keeping students safe?

Members don't see this ad.

Are there any current students lurking who can comment on WMed’s COVID response? Are they communicative? Keeping students safe?
Lurking student here, we get about 3 emails from the school’s COVID task force each week. Plus an email or two from a course director. They usually include things like “new normal” “more unknowns than knows” but yeah we do receive plenty of updates. Looks like we will have class for the incoming M1s. I think they’re going to break people up into small groups that meet at different time slots in different rooms for the first few weeks with some online components. That’s just what I’ve heard and that’s how Clerkships are for the time being.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Lurking student here, we get about 3 emails from the school’s COVID task force each week. Plus an email or two from a course director. They usually include things like “new normal” “more unknowns than knows” but yeah we do receive plenty of updates. Looks like we will have class for the incoming M1s. I think they’re going to break people up into small groups that meet at different time slots in different rooms for the first few weeks with some online components. That’s just what I’ve heard and that’s how Clerkships are for the time being.

Yeah, incoming M1 here and based on the wording of the email of "groups of 10" allowed, it seems like we will be having at the minimum small group sessions. I would guess they will break us out into our learning communities for orientation week which will be who we will get to know and they will be our main points of establishing a network in the beginning. Since small groups are I think 8 people + whoever is guiding the session. Also if the order relaxes even more by our start date (greater # people is fine if social distanced) then I bet they'd be able to split orientation into two groups in the big lecture halls.

They're definitely communicative about the outlook as it changes though, which is nice.

I feel bad though for M3/M4s since it seems for the clerkships ( and you can correct me if I'm wrong) that they're operating at 50% capacity in staffing and so medical students may not be included in that in order to provide the most efficient care to patients (i.e. why bring a med student who is minimally helpful and mostly learning instead of a nurse, NP, or PA)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Reapplication, OOS LM 71, accepted today off the waitlist. Couldn’t be happier.

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Just got in off one of my waitlists and withdrew from WMed. Best of luck to the rest of you!

Reactions: 4 users
Still on the waitlist for WMed, would be nice to hear good news, does anyone know when classes are meant to start/the latest for waitlist?

Reactions: 1 user