2019-2020 Western Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am going to speculate here so don't take my word for it, but with about 84 spots and likely ~120 A's sent out, the remainder are likely WLs with the exception of a small number of R's post interview. I am assuming maybe ~40 Rs to be conservative which leaves ~290 WLs. Keep in mind that some people have already moved off the WL into the A pile so that number is very fluid. This is all assuming 450 interviews were given out based on last years class profile: 2023 Class Profile | WMed

Agreed, will likely see movement after April 30th.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone remember the dates they release information on financial aid offers?

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone remember the dates they release information on financial aid offers?

I don't recall ever seeing a specific date, just that the last financial aid offers would come out in "early April."

Got an email from financial aid about 15 minutes ago. It showed me what I can get via federal loans. I did not get offered a merit based scholarship. I’m just curious, for those that were offered a merit based scholarship, what did they offer you?

I also just recieved a financial aid package which listed various federal loans and was also not offered a merit-based scholarship. In the portal, there is a spot that says "If you applied for need-based aid and meet the eligibility criteria, a need-based scholarship is listed." Did we have to apply separately for need-based aid or were they referring to submitting a FASTA?

I also just recieved a financial aid package which listed various federal loans and was also not offered a merit-based scholarship. In the portal, there is a spot that says "If you applied for need-based aid and meet the eligibility criteria, a need-based scholarship is listed." Did we have to apply separately for need-based aid or were they referring to submitting a FASTA?

Let me preface this by saying I don’t have a great understanding of this and could be wrong. I thought the federal loans are need based and based off of the information listed in our FAFSA. Is this right? Hmm.

Let me preface this by saying I don’t have a great understanding of this and could be wrong. I thought the federal loans are need based and based off of the information listed in our FAFSA. Is this right? Hmm.
I'm also unfamiliar with this but I think you're right. I guess now I'm wondering if we weren't offered a need-based scholarship at this time, that we could still be offered one later down the road.

"If you applied for need-based aid and meet the eligibility criteria, a need-based scholarship is listed." Did we have to apply separately for need-based aid or were they referring to submitting a FASTA?

I did not submit a separate app for need-based aid and did receive a small scholarship, so it must just be off of your FAFSA.

I think that maybe as people start accepting/declining offers of acceptance and aid in mid april-may they may extend more scholarships to people as they become available again.

I think that maybe as people start accepting/declining offers of acceptance and aid in mid april-may they may extend more scholarships to people as they become available again.

Yeah I remember someone mentioning this during the interview day.

Waitlist movement in a little more than 3 weeks! Please WMed, it has been a very long 6 months. May cannot come fast enough :whistle:

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is there much of a chance we see movement before may do you think?

There weren't any reported last year on SDN before April 30th, so I think it's unlikely. I think schools are waiting for people to withdraw offers at this point, and figure out who to extend offers to, which takes time and lots of deliberation.

There weren't any reported last year on SDN before April 30th, so I think it's unlikely. I think schools are waiting for people to withdraw offers at this point, and figure out who to extend offers to, which takes time and lots of deliberation.

Respectfully, I disagree. I expect some movement throughout April, a small peak in the first 2-3 weeks of May and then slow movement throughout June. Applicants who have earned multiple acceptances are narrowing their choices as financial aid packages come out. If they know where they stand people will begin to withdrawal throughout April and those spots will be filled promptly by the admissions committee.

In my experience, SDN isn't the most reliable place to look since only a subset of applicants post changes in their status. Oftentimes people will post on SDN that they have been accepted from the WL but no one posts that they withdrew & vice versa. Therefore, its reasonable to assume movement occurs without any posts at all.

Looking at last year's MSAR data, 420 people were interviewed for a class of 84 people. WMed also told us at the interview that they "draw heavily" from the waitlist so, personally, I expect gradual movement throughout the rest of the cycle.

May the odds be ever in your favor.

Reactions: 2 users
Respectfully, I disagree. I expect some movement throughout April, a small peak in the first 2-3 weeks of May and then slow movement throughout June. Applicants who have earned multiple acceptances are narrowing their choices as financial aid packages come out. If they know where they stand people will begin to withdrawal throughout April and those spots will be filled promptly by the admissions committee.

In my experience, SDN isn't the most reliable place to look since only a subset of applicants post changes in their status. Oftentimes people will post on SDN that they have been accepted from the WL but no one posts that they withdrew & vice versa. Therefore, its reasonable to assume movement occurs without any posts at all.

Looking at last year's MSAR data, 420 people were interviewed for a class of 84 people. WMed also told us at the interview that they "draw heavily" from the waitlist so, personally, I expect gradual movement throughout the rest of the cycle.

May the odds be ever in your favor.

Which is why I said that there weren't any reported on SDN. That doesn't mean that they aren't inviting offers to people that aren't on SDN. It's just that I can't use data that neither I nor anyone else has. I can't say that they are extending offers throughout April when I don't have evidence to support my claim. But I see your point and am obviously not against them extending offers before the April 30th deadline haha.

I think last year was unusual because the traffic rules were new and schools were being cautious. There is always low level movement as acceptances from interviews are declined so they go to the next person. With interviews concluded almost everywhere and individuals narrowing to 3 by April 15th AND the school can see total number in “plan to enroll” they’ll have an idea about #that declined offer and current # with “plan to enroll. There is likely to be a little bit of movement between 15th-30th but I wouldn’t expect much - if you don’t see it on here it doesn’t mean it’s not happening!

The other side of this is that schools may wait until the 30th to see which students are planning to enroll and hold only WMed’s acceptance (+/- waitlists). Then they can know who is attending most likely and select from the pool in greater quantity for individuals that diversify the class.
This school definitely has good waitlist movement. It won’t get to everyone but of the 450 interviewees I would guess 300 end up on waitlist after interview, and they probably go through 100-150 throughout the cycle.

Pure speculation so don’t quote me on this. But also letters of interest or update could help! This is a small school and I’m sure they want students that they know want them (and why)!

I think last year was unusual because the traffic rules were new and schools were being cautious. There is always low level movement as acceptances from interviews are declined so they go to the next person. With interviews concluded almost everywhere and individuals narrowing to 3 by April 15th AND the school can see total number in “plan to enroll” they’ll have an idea about #that declined offer and current # with “plan to enroll. There is likely to be a little bit of movement between 15th-30th but I wouldn’t expect much - if you don’t see it on here it doesn’t mean it’s not happening!

The other side of this is that schools may wait until the 30th to see which students are planning to enroll and hold only WMed’s acceptance (+/- waitlists). Then they can know who is attending most likely and select from the pool in greater quantity for individuals that diversify the class.
This school definitely has good waitlist movement. It won’t get to everyone but of the 450 interviewees I would guess 300 end up on waitlist after interview, and they probably go through 100-150 throughout the cycle.

Pure speculation so don’t quote me on this. But also letters of interest or update could help! This is a small school and I’m sure they want students that they know want them (and why)!

Very true! Hoping for the best for all of us! I sent in a LOI shorty after my waitlist decision in November, and an update in February, so we will see what happens :)

Interesting...last year they got it on April 25th. Early movement perhaps?

Gave up my seat in the class, going somewhere closer to home. Good luck, all!

Reactions: 7 users
Anyone know if WMed is still accepting update letters?

Anyone know if WMed is still accepting update letters?

I think they continue to accept updates until the class is finalized.

This is from the WL email I received last week...

"Your application is currently active on the WMed waitlist and we don’t require anything from you to remain active on the waitlist at this time. You are welcome to send in significant experience or academic updates or letters of intent if you would like via email. Additional letters of reference are not necessary at this time. Please note, updates or LOI’s are not required nor expected."

The email address linked is: [email protected]

Last edited:
Just withdrew my application, good luck to all those WMed waitlisters!

Reactions: 7 users
Just withdrew my application, good luck to all of you guys, WMed is an awesome school!

Reactions: 4 users
Also withdrew yesterday. Hoping the spot goes to one of you!

Reactions: 3 users
Withdrew my A (and scholarship) for a school closer to home! Best of luck to everyone on the waitlist!

Reactions: 6 users
Just withdrew my seat. I hope it goes to one of y'all! Goodluck in your endeavors :)

Reactions: 5 users
Has there been waitlist movement since April 30? It’s been quiet on that end for a while

Anyone else have knowledge of additional waitlist movement? This thread just seems so quiet compared to post-traffic day last year.

Anyone else have knowledge of additional waitlist movement? This thread just seems so quiet compared to post-traffic day last year.

People are probably getting off the waitlist, but don't use SDN.

People are probably getting off the waitlist, but don't use SDN.

I understand that, just wanting to know if anyone with information can confirm.

In the absence of almost any information, it’s hard to know whether we are seeing delays due to an unprecedented global pandemic, or if fewer accepted students happen to use SDN this year.

In the absence of almost any information, it’s hard to know whether we are seeing delays due to an unprecedented global pandemic, or if fewer accepted students happen to use SDN this year.
Yeah, I totally get it. I'm pretty frustrated too. I personally don't have any knowledge of movement.

All we can do is be patient and hope for the best!

I got off the waitlist on the 30th & recently withdrew my acceptance offer if that helps.

Reactions: 4 users
Just got the call! Interviewed on 1/17, waitlisted on 2/3. :)

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
I withdrew my application recently. Hope my A goes to one of you! Best of luck!

Reactions: 2 users
After a very difficult decision, I have declined my acceptance to WMed. I hope it goes to one of you guys, best of luck!

After a very difficult decision, I have declined my acceptance to WMed. I hope it goes to one of you guys, best of luck!
Fingers crossed dude! Hoping the best for you! And can I ask your stats?