2019-2020 Western Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This is just my assumption- not confirmed by WMed or anything so it could be way off base, but I’ve heard for other schools with unranked waitlists that the way it works is that for each accepted person who turns down their spot, the adcom tries to find someone on the waitlist as similar as possible (demographics, stats, interests) in an effort to keep the diversity of the class intact.
Yeah that is how it works here

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone who has submitted an update here (either via the portal or by email), are you able to see a confirmation on your portal that the update was received and attached to your file? Or do you simply receive an email confirmation?

Anyone who has submitted an update here (either via the portal or by email), are you able to see a confirmation on your portal that the update was received and attached to your file? Or do you simply receive an email confirmation?
You just get an e-mail confirmation. I e-mailed WMed just to make sure they got it, but rest assured, if you got the e-mail, they got it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You just get an e-mail confirmation. I e-mailed WMed just to make sure they got it, but rest assured, if you got the e-mail, they got it.

Thank you for the confirmation!

Was there a 2/7/20 interview date? If so, I'm curious if anyone from that date has heard a decision. It seems like the pattern from recent interview dates is that decisions are going out on the 3rd Monday after the interview instead of having to wait for a full 3 weeks.

I interviewed 2/14/20 and I'm just feeling anxious. I was really impressed with everything at WMed!

Was there a 2/7/20 interview date? If so, I'm curious if anyone from that date has heard a decision. It seems like the pattern from recent interview dates is that decisions are going out on the 3rd Monday after the interview instead of having to wait for a full 3 weeks.

I interviewed 2/14/20 and I'm just feeling anxious. I was really impressed with everything at WMed!

I don't think there was one - I also interviewed 2/14 and I distinctly remember the dates being open were 1/31, 2/14, 2/21, and so on.

I don't think there was one - I also interviewed 2/14 and I distinctly remember the dates being open were 1/31, 2/14, 2/21, and so on.

Thanks, that's good to know. I was really impressed with all of the candidates I met on our interview day. Good luck!

I’m interviewing a week from today. What’s the food situation? I’m assuming they provide us lunch

I’m interviewing a week from today. What’s the food situation? I’m assuming they provide us lunch

Water, coffee, and granola bars are available upon arrival, as well as throughout the day. They also provide lunch, which was quite good on my interview day.

Reactions: 1 users
This was definitely the best interview I had the entire cycle, the adcoms were so friendly and accommodating, the structure of the interview day was very relaxed and interesting, and the fellow interviewers were some of the nicest and down to earth people I've ever met. Unfortunately, I will be withdrawing my acceptance, I hope it goes to one of you!

Reactions: 9 users
This was definitely the best interview I had the entire cycle, the adcoms were so friendly and accommodating, the structure of the interview day was very relaxed and interesting, and the fellow interviewers were some of the nicest and down to earth people I've ever met. Unfortunately, I will be withdrawing my acceptance, I hope it goes to one of you!

Couldn't agree more with this statement, they did a great job at selecting interviewees with their personality test/phone interview.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got the call from Jean for my first A this cycle. So excited! Good luck to everyone else hoping for some good news today. I interviewed 2/14

Reactions: 7 users
Waitlisted earlier today. Interviewed 2/14.

Does WMed waitlist the majority of applicants and save Rs for the end of their cycle? Or do a decent chunk of those waitlisted get accepted?

Accepted off the waitlist just now! Wled 12/8. Interviewed mid Nov

Reactions: 10 users
got WL'ed from a recent interview. we'll see what happens.

Also accepted off WL! Interviewed 01/31 and WL’d 02/17
First A! What a relief

Reactions: 10 users
Waitlisted earlier today. Interviewed 2/14.

Does WMed waitlist the majority of applicants and save Rs for the end of their cycle? Or do a decent chunk of those waitlisted get accepted?
I got rejected recently, so they definitely do it lmao. Rip

• Sad
rejected post interview?
Yes, post II sorry I should have specified. Got rejected with the swiftness, which is weird because my interview said I was a great applicant and gave me their contact info.

Yes, post II sorry I should have specified. Got rejected with the swiftness, which is weird because my interview said I was a great applicant and gave me their contact info.
That’s crazy. Hopefully you get an A at another school :)

• Love

that’s very lame, this process is so messed up... wishing you the best at your other schools.

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone else still not hear anything post phone interview? I think their last interview day is tomorrow..
Yeah I just interviewed today and it was the last day. They told us we would hear back within in two weeks but probably next week, so I assume you all will hear back by that point as well as they’re trying to wrap things up.

Accepted of WL yesterday!! It feels amazing. Interviewed 11/08, WL’d 11/26, update sent in December. LM 67

Reactions: 7 users
Accepted today! Interviewed in late Feb after an II in late January. First A of the cycle for me, and I really felt I vibed with the school/Kalamazoo. I think it helps that I had a fun, relaxed conversation with my interviewer, and she said she'd recommend my admission to the committee.

Reactions: 6 users
Got the email saying I’m accepted! Was waitlisted a week ago. No phone call yet. Hmm.

Got the email saying I’m accepted! Was waitlisted a week ago. No phone call yet. Hmm.
Might want to follow up on that and call. That’s highly unusual.

Follow up to acceptance email with no phone call: I called admissions. They said I am accepted! Why was I not called? She didn’t know. Strange. Guess it fell through the cracks?

Reactions: 5 users
Follow up to acceptance email with no phone call: I called admissions. They said I am accepted! Why was I not called? She didn’t know. Strange. Guess it fell through the cracks?
Congratulations!

For the laptop requirement, do you think getting a 13' Mac Pro instead of the 16' would make a huge difference? I was reading the manual and they recommend the 16', but thats extra $$$$ ya girl doesn't want to spend

Do they consider letters of intent? Western is my top choice.

For the laptop requirement, do you think getting a 13' Mac Pro instead of the 16' would make a huge difference? I was reading the manual and they recommend the 16', but thats extra $$$$ ya girl doesn't want to spend
They don’t care what size MacBook you get

I know a few M1's here that have an iPad Pro instead of a MacBook and they love it for taking notes (the ability to draw in the notebook is a huge plus)

I know a few M1's here that have an iPad Pro instead of a MacBook and they love it for taking notes (the ability to draw in the notebook is a huge plus)
Ipads are great but you can’t have one or the other. At a minimum you need a MacBook.

Ipads are great but you can’t have one or the other. At a minimum you need a MacBook.
Yep this is true, sorry I didn't make that clear, MacBooks (pro or air) are a requirement regardless of if you have an iPad

So sweet that Jean Shelton sent a hand written postcard to interviewees!!

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone know how many there are on the waitlist?

I am going to speculate here so don't take my word for it, but with about 84 spots and likely ~120 A's sent out, the remainder are likely WLs with the exception of a small number of R's post interview. I am assuming maybe ~40 Rs to be conservative which leaves ~290 WLs. Keep in mind that some people have already moved off the WL into the A pile so that number is very fluid. This is all assuming 450 interviews were given out based on last years class profile: 2023 Class Profile | WMed