2020-2021 Eastern Virginia (EVMS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I had one interview with three people. Two MDs and one M3. It was short, I think like 30 minutes. I had great interviewers. It was fairly relaxed. My biggest advice would be to prepare for ethical questions.
Do they ask COVID related questions?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I realized that I never received the file complete email last week! Yikes.. The school doesn't email you if one of your pre-reqs was incorrect until they have had time to catch up, so they put you off to the side (which makes sense). Most of the schools I applied to will accept my Upper Division Biochem lab in place of Bio lab. EVMS doesn't and I feel silly not seeing this earlier in the cycle so that I could register for bio lab. 🙁

In other words, GO DOUBLE CHECK for the file complete email if you've had nothing by silence since submitting your application. It may be too late for me, but maybe not for you in case you overlooked something me.
If you find a discrepancy, I recommend calling the admissions office 757-446-5812. I emailed and didn't get a response, but I called had my questions answered very quickly!
May the odds be ever in your favor! 😌
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Waitlist movement is greater for OOS students (IS are less likely to turn down IS tuition). Top tier has a great chance, though there are mid-tier that get in most years.
 
Hey all, reapplicant here. I interviewed last year and was ultimately waitlisted (top 1/3rd). I have yet to receive an II from EVMS this cycle, and was wondering if it would be frowned upon if I applied to the MedMasters program in the next month. EVMS is one of my dream schools so I don't mind doing a post-bacc and having a greater chance of being an EVMS student (though my GPA is on the higher end, so no need). I absolutely fell in love with EVMS and the surrounding area on my interview day.

So I have two questions:
1) Is it bad to apply to the Med Masters program if my EVMS application is still under consideration and
2) if I apply with my GPA (>3.8), would I get "screed out" as my only reason for applying is to have a greater chance at the medical school? or would it be perceived as greater interest in the school?

My stats are >3.8 GPA and >513 MCAT.

Due to COVID-19, it will be difficult for me to significantly improve my application for the 2021-2022 cycle. Also, my MCAT will expire next year so I have been looking into SMPs with conditional acceptance/interview.

Thank you so much in advance!
From someone who has completed a SMP at a different medical school before applying this cycle, I would say it shouldn't hurt your chances with the MD program to apply to their Med Masters program. Most SMP like these are designed to aid students to get into medical school anyhow and I'm sure 99.9% of students apply to SMP with the sole reason of bettering their chances to get into Med School ESP the MD programs that are linked to that particular school. If you're still concerned, I'd try giving them a call and seeing how they view applicants applying to both the MD and Med Masters programs concurrently. You never know; they may say they see it all the time and may give some advice on if they feel you are an ideal candidate for that particular program. (For instance, the school I got my Masters at had a blurb about being able to use information from AMCAS for their application, so I think they expected applicants to apply to their program if/when the Med School cycle didn't work in their favor).

Just my 2 cents on your stats, however ... they are spectacular, so congrats on that! I know it may not be possible, but I would try to get some feedback on your application to see if there are other areas of your application that could be improved upon that wouldn't require more schooling. SMP/Post Baccs are typically pricey programs meant to enhance academic readiness with a sprinkle of MCAT Prep/Med School Application Advising/ Community Service opportunities depending on what kind of program you choose. With a 3.8 and 513, your metrics (AKA academic readiness) is more than likely, not the thing holding you back from interviews or acceptances.

*SMP (Special Masters Program)
 
Anyone who recently interviewed (waiting for a decision) or anyone in general get the Diversity in Academic Medicine Conference invite email. Not sure if it is anything special or if they send it to everyone.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you so much for your really in depth response! I’ll contact the school to get a better idea of the program and my situation.

Really appreciate your response, and I wish you the best of luck during this cycle! Hope you get multiple acceptances to your top choice

Thank you so so much for your kind words! Your acceptances are coming as well I know it! I'm always willing to help so feel free to PM me.
 
Anyone who recently interviewed (waiting for a decision) or anyone in general get the Diversity in Academic Medicine Conference invite email. Not sure if it is anything special or if they send it to everyone.
I interviewed last week but I didn’t receive that email. When did you interview?