2020-2021 Howard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Anyone not get an email from Certiphi for the background check yet?
Didn’t they say that they only do the background check after you pay the matriculation fee. That way they don’t pay to run one on someone who decides not to attend by April 31
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I submitted 10/15. I got a completion email but nothing so far. I should hear something this month, but I also have low stats. So it definitely depends how competitive you are as well!
Where you an undeserved student? I wonder if being an underserved student is what they are looking for! My stats are pretty high and its been total silence!
 
Anyone not get an email from Certiphi for the background check yet?
I got an email from Certiphi earlier today but it said it was for a school in which I was either conditionally accepted or waitlisted...well i didn't get any conditional acceptances but I did get waitlisted at 1 (not Howard). So if they are having to pay for the background check, do you think this could this be a sign that they are planning to accept me?
 
I got an email from Certiphi earlier today but it said it was for a school in which I was either conditionally accepted or waitlisted...well i didn't get any conditional acceptances but I did get waitlisted at 1 (not Howard). So if they are having to pay for the background check, do you think this could this be a sign that they are planning to accept me?
WL'd people also get sent the Certiphi background check email so this is normal. As far as whether they are planning to accept you or not all depends on movement! But definitely possible!

What I don't get is that I have been accepted to multiple schools early on already and still haven't received the Certiphi email.
 
WL'd people also get sent the Certiphi background check email so this is normal. As far as whether they are planning to accept you or not all depends on movement! But definitely possible!

What I don't get is that I have been accepted to multiple schools early on already and still haven't received the Certiphi email.
Exactly. How do I get the email for a school where I got waitlisted before the schools I actually got accepted to lol
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
anyone else have luck sending an update and hearing back?
I sent one a while back and got a confirmation email around midnight. I also sent another one over the break about a publication, but I haven’t gotten a confirmation, but will wait a few days. I can imagine them needing to catch up. I’d call if you don’t hear back within 4-5 days.
 
I just reviewed my secondary app and realized, I wouldn't extend an II to myself if I were them. While my answers were nice and polished, the questions specially say "Please indicate, Yes or No and then explain/describe briefly in 250 words or less". I noticed I did not say "yes" to any of the questions, I just answered them. Feeling like an idiot because I can't blame anyone but myself. Maybe I'll send an update email but it prob won't do much good.
 
I just reviewed my secondary app and realized, I wouldn't extend an II to myself if I were them. While my answers were nice and polished, the questions specially say "Please indicate, Yes or No and then explain/describe briefly in 250 words or less". I noticed I did not say "yes" to any of the questions, I just answered them. Feeling like an idiot because I can't blame anyone but myself. Maybe I'll send an update email but it prob won't do much good.
Don't beat yourself up. I guarantee you are not the first person to do this and truly you will not be the last.
 
Former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg is donating $100 million to the nation's four historically Black medical schools: Howard University's College of Medicine in Washington, the Morehouse School of Medicine in Atlanta, Meharry Medical College in Nashville, and the Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science in Los Angeles. The schools said they will use the donations to create scholarships of up to $100,000 for students currently enrolled and receiving financial aid. I hope those who get to attend this school will be able to receive this awesome financial gift! 😀

Did the other school's money come with strings attached or was this just a meharry thing?
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_20210104-203353_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20210104-203353_Gmail.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 257
I just reviewed my secondary app and realized, I wouldn't extend an II to myself if I were them. While my answers were nice and polished, the questions specially say "Please indicate, Yes or No and then explain/describe briefly in 250 words or less". I noticed I did not say "yes" to any of the questions, I just answered them. Feeling like an idiot because I can't blame anyone but myself. Maybe I'll send an update email but it prob won't do much good.
Don't worry too much. I answered Yes or No when I could but due to the character count, I left that part out of a couple of the questions just b/c I needed those few extra characters. And I got accepted.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys! Question to people who received II: any tips or advice on prepping for the interview? I'm a bit of a nervous individual, and would love to hear how it went for those who have had one already!
Just be comfortable talking about your journey and backing it up with real experiences. It’s an enjoyable interview tbh! Since it’s all via Zoom, I’d practice talking into the camera on whatever device you’re gonna use!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just reviewed my secondary app and realized, I wouldn't extend an II to myself if I were them. While my answers were nice and polished, the questions specially say "Please indicate, Yes or No and then explain/describe briefly in 250 words or less". I noticed I did not say "yes" to any of the questions, I just answered them. Feeling like an idiot because I can't blame anyone but myself. Maybe I'll send an update email but it prob won't do much good.
You are OKAY! 😂 They understand you actually took a College Composition course. You don’t have to answer everything explicitly “Yes” or “No.” As long as you answered the question, you are fine.