2020-2021 Kentucky

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a quick question for re-applicants...On UKCOM's website, it mentioned requiring two new letters of recommendation for re-applicants. Can an updated pre-health committee letter count as one of your new letters?
I am not 100% sure of this; I would call admissions just to be sure. Personally, I ended up just adding two brand new letters that were not in my application from last year along with an updated committee letter.
 
Secondary Received and submitted. IS


1) Please elaborate on why this is your preferred campus. (750) (Choose which campus you want to go to)

2) What competencies and qualities do you feel a physician should possess? (1500)

3) Describe the most significant community service activity in which you have participated. What did you learn from that experience? (2000)

4)Describe an experience or situation which made you feel grateful? (1500)

5)In providing patient care, should physicians maintain emotional distance or empathize with patients' emotional state? (1500)

6) It is impossible to have predicted the drastic impact caused by the novel coronavirus identified as COVID-19. Describe the impact you have witnessed of this pandemic on those around you. (1500)

7) Please share unique, personally important, and/or challenging facts in your background, such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, culture, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, or life/work experiences. Please discuss how such factors have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine. (2000)


There were also some Scholarship Opportunity prompts, Disciplinary Action questions, and a couple of additional essays for OOS applicants. Good Luck, y'all!

@TheDataKing
 
Last edited:
Secondary Received and submitted. IS


1) Please elaborate on why this is your preferred campus. (750) (Choose which campus you want to go to)

2) What competencies and qualities do you feel a physician should possess? (1500)

3) Describe the most significant community service activity in which you have participated. What did you learn from that experience? (2000)

4)Describe an experience or situation which made you feel grateful? (1500)

5)In providing patient care, should physicians maintain emotional distance or empathize with patients' emotional state? (1500)

6) It is impossible to have predicted the drastic impact caused by the novel coronavirus identified as COVID-19. Describe the impact you have witnessed of this pandemic on those around you. (1500)

7) Please share unique, personally important, and/or challenging facts in your background, such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, culture, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, or life/work experiences. Please discuss how such factors have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine. (2000)


There were also some Scholarship Opportunity prompts, Disciplinary Action questions, and a couple of additional essays for OOS applicants. Good Luck, y'all!

@TheDataKing

Do you mind sharing the additional essays for OOS applicants and their character count? Thanks!
 
Yes sorry, I hadn't actually viewed them yet when I posted that yesterday. To answer a few other questions, character count includes spaces. And yes I have strong ties despite being OOS because I attended undergrad in KY. Because I've used secondary prompts on SDN generously shared by others, I'll share these:

OOS Prompts:

In the individual assessment of each applicant, the UK College of Medicine prioritizes attributes that reflect our mission. Although not essential, certain applicant characteristics will enhance potential to contribute to the college and to the profession of medicine: Commitment to the State: As a state medical school, the UK College of Medicine gives preference to Kentucky residents, and non-residents who have strong ties to the state, including previous attendance at a Kentucky college or university. Commitment to Underserved Populations: Certain geographic areas (rural counties) and patient populations (non-majority) have challenges in receiving safe, effective, patient-centered, timely, efficient, and equitable health care. The UK College of Medicine values individuals who have demonstrated interest in serving these areas or populations in the future. Diversity: A diverse educational environment enriches both medical education and patient care. The UK College of Medicine strives for each class to represent the people of the Commonwealth, and therefore considers each applicant’s educational background, life experiences, cultural identity, and socioeconomic background. The University will not discriminate based on race, color, ethnic origin, national origin, creed, religion, political belief, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, marital status, genetic information, or age.

Why have you chosen to apply to the University of Kentucky College of Medicine? (1000 characters)

Please elaborate on personal characteristics and any accomplishments and experiences that you feel help to demonstrate your potential to contribute to the college and to the profession of medicine. (1000 characters)

Please elaborate on any Kentucky ties: personal, familial, etc. (750 characters)

Thank you so so much! One more question for you.. Do you know if the character count is with or without spaces?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Any OOS who have still not received a secondary?

I am OOS and haven't received anything yet, although this is expected because I am still awaiting verification unfourtanetly. Did you check junk mail? Also, I know in years past they have sent OOS applicants an email acknowledging the receipt of their application, asking to explain significant ties to the state if they are unclear on your primary, as they give preference to IS. I would keep an eye out for that as well. Good luck!🙂
 
Wow! Yes, that is super quick, congratulations!
Thank you!!!

The thing about UK is to just get everything completed ASAP! I applied last year and the class was filled at the beginning of December (like December 8th or 9th if I remember correctly?) and I had a December 14th interview. :dead: Not sure how they will be this year with everything going on... but it seems like they are on their A-game so far!
 
OOS, secondary received on 7/20, submitted on 7/27. Definitely the longest secondary I've received, character count wise.
 
When you were scheduling your interview was that the earliest date available?
This was the earliest date for regular decision applicants. In the email they sent me, they said that regular applicants have to choose a date after 9/16, and that all dates before 9/16 were only for early decision.
 
This was the earliest date for regular decision applicants. In the email they sent me, they said that regular applicants have to choose a date after 9/16, and that all dates before 9/16 were only for early decision.
Did you receive any type of confirmation after submitting?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know what a typical week is like M1/M2? Like how much PBL is there compared to lecture, how many sessions / hours are required per week?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad