2020-2021 Mayo Clinic (Alix), Arizona

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got a rejection email -- AZ resident, complete mid-October, 3.5GPA 518 MCAT.

Best of luck gang! Still rooting for you all!

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah they said to upload thank you notes to your portal.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd appreciate a primer on what do I need to know about these post-interview expectations of applicants. I know nothing of interview aftermath politics or related formalities. I've only been to public school.

I'm getting a sense that thank you letters and letters of intent are expected. If this is the case, what is the timeframe within which either is expected?

If anyone has insight into the preferred tone of either letter, I'd be interested to hear about this as well. More generally, is there anything else that someone with a background very far removed from private prestigious institutions needs to know about regarding how best to communicate with Mayo? Thanks.
Went to a top private undergrad and everything I know about post-II came from searching around SDN. Private schools aren’t luxury resorts where they do everything for you. School-specific threads from previous years are your friend.

Last edited:
  • Okay...
I'd appreciate a primer on what do I need to know about these post-interview expectations of applicants. I know nothing of interview aftermath politics or related formalities. I've only been to public school.

I'm getting a sense that thank you letters and letters of intent are expected. If this is the case, what is the timeframe within which either is expected?

If anyone has insight into the preferred tone of either letter, I'd be interested to hear about this as well. More generally, is there anything else that someone with a background very far removed from private prestigious institutions needs to know about regarding how best to communicate with Mayo? Thanks.
When is your interview? Decisions come out in February, so late January interviewees will probably have to be extra on their toes to get their love letters in before being evaluated.

While I went to a good public undergrad, I'm the first in my family to attend college, let alone the first to attend medical school, so I get that the hidden curriculum of applications can be frustrating. Mayo is unique in wanting to be courted heavily by their applicants and they welcome a lot of contact from interview invitation to post-interview waiting. A letter of intent seems to be strongly favorable for an applicant to submit very soon after their interview. Only send this if Mayo is genuinely your #1 choice. If it's your top but you won't drop everything to attend, still send a letter of interest to boost your odds. Feel free to send updates if you have time between interview and your decision. Some schools would be bothered by this communication, but Mayo definitely values it. In summary, make Mayo feel very like they are your absolute dream program. Agree that browsing past threads helps.

• Care
Thanks for the input. So are we talking letter of intent/thank you within the week of the interview? Or asap?

My interview is within a week.

I feel torn because Mayo is the top choice among my interviews so far, but I have relatively few rejections among a large slate of schools applied to, so potential interviews remain wide open. I have 4 so far. Whether to send a letter of intent is a tough decision because, due to the pandemic, I have no sense of where I am in the cycle among these other schools (Ivies or the like) that are at various stages of delay. Do you think that, being in this situation, I should go ahead with the letter of intent?
At this stage in the cycle, I would base your intent on the programs you could most reasonably expect to compare Mayo to -- your three other interviews. If Mayo is your suspected top choice (understandably, it's hard to know 100% with COVID) among those programs, I'd draft a letter of intent and send it within a week of the end of the interview. While of course anything may happen with the schools you haven't heard from, I wouldn't worry about them until they are more realistic contenders for your attention.

Members don't see this ad :)
no highly ranked, no schedule a zoom meeting, and no assessing interest emails here lol rip :shrug:

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
Still not scored :( I wonder how they decide when to score someone
See my earlier post. Everyone gets scored. There are many (myself included) that just did not get notified- perhaps admin just forgot to send it to some.

I got an email from my interviewer that was just like oh it has been a while since we talked, do you have any additional questions? Seemed very lowkey. Mine didn’t ask anything about interest.

In case anyone is still waiting on II news -- this Monday (tomorrow) is the last Monday welcome session this cycle, which I assume means this is the last week of interviews.

I was contacted by both of my interviewers this week. One email, one phone call. It sounds like some other applicants got emails from their interviewers this week. Did anyone else get a phone call? In the call my interviewer said they think I'd make a great fit for the school and encouraged me to submit a letter (which I already have). I'm not sure if this is standard or how much to read into it.

I was contacted by both of my interviewers this week. One email, one phone call. It sounds like some other applicants got emails from their interviewers this week. Did anyone else get a phone call? In the call my interviewer said they think I'd make a great fit for the school and encouraged me to submit a letter (which I already have). I'm not sure if this is standard or how much to read into it.
This sounds very promising. When did you interview?

Any of you have that zoom call yet? Mine is in a few days and im not rly sure how to prep

Any of you have that zoom call yet? Mine is in a few days and im not rly sure how to prep
yes, it’s really just an opportunity for you to ask any questions you have about Mayo. The person who conducted my zoom sesh was an administrator, and also a student there, so it was nice to have a student’s perspective on some of the questions that I had. Also, I believe on the day of the call you will get the zoom link and in the email it says that this person cannot impact your admissions decision at all, so it’s purely just for you to ask whatever questions you have. Also, the attire is casual

yes, it’s really just an opportunity for you to ask any questions you have about Mayo. The person who conducted my zoom sesh was an administrator, and also a student there, so it was nice to have a student’s perspective on some of the questions that I had. Also, I believe on the day of the call you will get the zoom link and in the email it says that this person cannot impact your admissions decision at all, so it’s purely just for you to ask whatever questions you have. Also, the attire is casual
Thanks so much!

no highly ranked, no schedule a zoom meeting, and no assessing interest emails here lol rip :shrug:
Same. That must indicate that we're likely not being considered for acceptance, right? I mean, I can't see any reason why they wouldn't contact me if they were interested in accepting me.

• Sad
  • Care
Reactions: 1 users
@srstudent thats what im thinking unfortunately. i did get the scoring email so i know they've looked at me post-I

Same. That must indicate that we're likely not being considered for acceptance, right? I mean, I can't see any reason why they wouldn't contact me if they were interested in accepting me.

I wouldn't read too much into the lack of post-interview communication from Mayo. I've seen from last year's thread that a lot of post-interview communication was purely to gauge applicant interest and was also dependent on your interviewer. Some chose to send out further communication to indicate applicants were highly ranked or to gauge interest, but people have been accepted without these types of emails/communication.

• Care
Reactions: 12 users
For those who wrote LoIs, did you address the Dean directly or the entire admissions committee?

Did anyone not get a post-interview email from their interviewer? Wondering if just a few people got it or getting it was the majority

Did anyone not get a post-interview email from their interviewer? Wondering if just a few people got it or getting it was the majority
i didn't. interviewed early december

I did not. But I did have a zoom call with the student/administrator via the email sent out in December (which was great and so helpful!). In our meeting they said that they sent out a lot of emails to sent up zoom calls, but not to everyone because it was a tag-team effort with some interviewers to provide contact to applicants who interviewed. I am curious to know if anyone got contacted by their interviewers recently AND got the email about setting up a zoom call. From my understanding, it may be an either/or situation.

• Hmm
I did not. But I did have a zoom call with the student/administrator via the email sent out in December (which was great and so helpful!). In our meeting they said that they sent out a lot of emails to sent up zoom calls, but not to everyone because it was a tag-team effort with some interviewers to provide contact to applicants who interviewed. I am curious to know if anyone got contacted by their interviewers recently AND got the email about setting up a zoom call. From my understanding, it may be an either/or situation.
I got an email from my interviewer and had a zoom call with the student/administrator. My take on the interviewer email was more so that they just want to stay engaged with their applicants, so my guess would be that people who interviewed more recently didn't get it/haven't gotten it yet. This is all speculation of course, but my interviewer in the email specifically stated something along the lines of "it has been a little while since we talked, have any questions come up in the meantime..."

So I sent a letter of interest shortly after my interview because at the time Mayo was one of my top choices. Now that I had all the interviews I had scheduled after Mayo, I am pretty set on them being my top choice -- would it be ok/advisable to send a letter of intent now (after sending a letter of interest in December)?

Did anyone just get that Mayo Admissions email?

Reactions: 5 users
Did anyone just get that Mayo Admissions email?
Yep! Everyone mark their calendars for Feb 22nd! Also, it is so unique how they openly solicit Letters of Intent more than any other institution I have seen.

So I sent a letter of interest shortly after my interview because at the time Mayo was one of my top choices. Now that I had all the interviews I had scheduled after Mayo, I am pretty set on them being my top choice -- would it be ok/advisable to send a letter of intent now (after sending a letter of interest in December)?
Im wondering this too. Just had the zoom email and the lady said to send LOIs before feb 1 so maybe it is ok

Yep! Everyone mark their calendars for Feb 22nd! Also, it is so unique how they openly solicit Letters of Intent more than any other institution I have seen.
I think yield rate and acceptance rate are considered in med school rankings, so Mayo tries really hard to game those numbers and protect their ranking lol

I think yield rate and acceptance rate are considered in med school rankings, so Mayo tries really hard to game those numbers and protect their ranking lol
And yet, their numbers are right in line with their T10 peers! So, the question is, would they REALLY be that much worse if they didn't do this, or is it all for nothing because some people really mean it while others lie and tell them what they want to hear, resulting in them being in same exact place as if they didn't bother engaging in the exercise in the first place????

I got an email from my interviewer that was just like oh it has been a while since we talked, do you have any additional questions? Seemed very lowkey. Mine didn’t ask anything about interest.
Same! Low key but it's nice to feel supported/ have an open line of communication.

I was actually looking forward to the taste of diversity presentation :cryi:

Got an email from one of my interviewers yesterday saying hello/any questions. My interviewer also asked what my interest is in Mayo at this point in the season (interviewed in early November) and if there is anyone he can connect me to at Mayo that might aid in my decision making! Almost fell out of my chair haha Here's to hoping!

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 6 users
Just got a scored email 8 days after my interview date. Posting to assess whether tea leaves may be read from this development or its timing

I submitted thank yous/letter of intent since my interview.
+1, also submitted LOI