2020-2021 Miami (Miller)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone receive a secondary today?
From what I have heard about Miami (even a prominent physician there), they are very slow with regard to the application process. I wouldn't be surprised if it took them a little longer to get secondaries out. I haven't seen anyone receive a secondary from here yet.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
For the question about listing/briefly describing clinical experiences, should we stick to undergrad only or can we also go back to high school if there's room?

Hey guys! I am an incoming M1 in the MD/MPH program and would love to answer any questions if you have any. I was totally looking forward to meeting some of you through hosting, so I'm pretty bummed about virtual interviews, but hoping to meet you guys through this! Feel free to message me about anything!

(also I never took biochem lab either lol)

Any insight from experience on how to best go about the secondary question: "Briefly describe the one clinical experience you have had that has most significantly influenced your decision to study medicine. Do not replicate your AMCAS personal statement."?
Not sure if MD/PHD applicants got this question too. Wondering if they mean "replicate" as in copy and paste or as in don't use any content that was in your PS?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Any insight from experience on how to best go about the secondary question: "Briefly describe the one clinical experience you have had that has most significantly influenced your decision to study medicine. Do not replicate your AMCAS personal statement."?
Not sure if MD/PHD applicants got this question too. Wondering if they mean "replicate" as in copy and paste or as in don't use any content that was in your PS?
I think they mean don't copy/paste or say the same thing that you wrote about in the primary. If they want our most important clinical experiences that ISN'T on the primary, then I've got nothing lol. So I'm writing about one of my activities from AMCAS but just using a different story and a different take-home message

I talked about something that was mentioned in my PS. I described aspects of it that weren't said in my personal statement. I got in and will be starting next month.

What are the acceptable/typical nicknames for the school in secondaries? University of Miami Miller School of Medicine is a lot of words!

What are the acceptable/typical nicknames for the school in secondaries? University of Miami Miller School of Medicine is a lot of words!
i believe its UMMSM or you could probably just say "Miami" or UM

Are secondaries out yet? Do they send secondaries to all applicants?

Do you think it's worth mentioning a sport I played for 10 years (not in college) for the sports essay?

Do you think it's worth mentioning a sport I played for 10 years (not in college) for the sports essay?
yeah i think so! I think they are looking for "well-rounded" people that do things other than just school. I think its healthy to have other things you do in life like participate in recreational sports

Im wondering if any accepted students remember how much of the 500 word limits did you guys utilize?

After looking up my secondary responses, I found that I averaged 200 words for the questions. The smallest was just shy of 150 and the longest was just over 300.

Important to add that I will be matriculating this summer.

I used 150-250 words on all of the essays except for the one about leadership skills. That one was 425 words.

The optional essays were shorter. The smallest was 7 words for one of the optional essays.

I'll be joining @tinfoilforests

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone, I am currently prewriting secondaries and I came across the prompt "List your employment in chronological order". On my primary I left out some jobs (Not sure why I had them on my previous application that I didn't submit last year), however they were not anything important (checkers team member and deli worker at sams club) should I put these in my secondary or just leave them out and nit stress this mistake?

Hey everyone, I am currently prewriting secondaries and I came across the prompt "List your employment in chronological order". On my primary I left out some jobs (Not sure why I had them on my previous application that I didn't submit last year), however they were not anything important (checkers team member and deli worker at sams club) should I put these in my secondary or just leave them out and nit stress this mistake?

Any job is an important EC; list them

Reactions: 2 users
List them, also it doesn't matter that they weren't on your primary.

is anyone else having trouble pre-writing/writing the "why us" secondary for this school? what are some things that stand out to y'all?

is anyone else having trouble pre-writing/writing the "why us" secondary for this school? what are some things that stand out to y'all?
Well you have to think about why you are applying. Why did you send your primary to them? Is it the city? Research? Stuff like that

• Dislike
Will you guys be mentioning your most travel experience even if you didn’t do any medical related traveling? I was just thinking about mentioning a trip I took to Italy

Will you guys be mentioning your most travel experience even if you didn’t do any medical related traveling? I was just thinking about mentioning a trip I took to Italy

Not every answer needs to be directly related to medicine!! Show them that you're an interesting and well rounded person, who engages with other cultures. The question isn't asking "have you gone on any medical mission trips."

On this note: this is just my personal opinion (no idea what adcom thoughts are), but be careful especially with this travel question of saying something along the lines of "I traveled to this third world country and saw all these people who needed medical care, now I want to do medicine." You don't need to travel very far to find underserved communities - there's so much need just in Miami, or your own hometown. Unless you actively provided meaningful support to the community you visited, it can come across voyeuristic. If I were reading these, I'd be more interested in learning about how you engaged with people from other cultures as equals, rather than some savior role.

The question asks about travel, not medical travel. Out of all the applicants/Med students I’ve known 0 have done medical travel lol.
Also Italy is balling definitely talk about that

Well you have to think about why you are applying. Why did you send your primary to them? Is it the city? Research? Stuff like that

could just be a florida resident.

early clinical exposure, community engagement, diverse patient population, wolfson docs program, scholarly concentration. honestly nothing stood out as super unique but i feel like why essays should be more about why you're a good fit and less time spending the springtime of youth worrying about the perfect, exact, unique situation you would be in at the school that could not achieved anywhere else.

The first prompt is really annoying me. My most meaningful experience for pursuing medicine is literally the lengthy, introductory paragraph of my PS. There are no other angles for me to reflect on it from.

Here’s to hoping they remove that prompt LOL.

Reactions: 3 users
The first prompt is really annoying me. My most meaningful experience for pursuing medicine is literally the lengthy, introductory paragraph of my PS. There are no other angles for me to reflect on it from.

Here’s to hoping they remove that prompt LOL.

That one, cincinnati, and the autobiography prompts at UCSD + vandy all feel a little weird and just ways to eat up the springtime of youth.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
tenor.gif

Reactions: 11 users
Can someone post the secondary questions? Are they the same as last year's?

IS - no secondary yet

I would guess they won’t send them till August 3rd, but that’s just pure speculation at this point lol

First Miami email, acknowledgement of primary receipt

Reactions: 5 users
OOS - same deal. Acknowledgement of primary.

Reactions: 2 users
What was up with the “a decision to send you a secondary will be made shortly”? I thought they don’t screen?

What was up with the “a decision to send you a secondary will be made shortly”? I thought they don’t screen?
I just double checked MSAR, says “only US citizens” so maybe they’re just screening out international students?