2020-2021 Noorda College of Osteopathic Medicine (Provo, UT) Noorda-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How much of a sub 500?
You can message me if you want to know. I was one of the first people to get a II so I don't think they would screen out post interview because of an MCAT. They said they do a holistic review before sending out secondary's and interview invites. My GPA is high and I have a lot of volunteering/clinical experience. Good luck. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
submitted my secondary video! now we wait lol

Reactions: 1 users
This week is interview week for a lot of people here. Good luck to everyone interviewing and good luck to those waiting on II’s and secondaries.

Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
how do people typically get notified of their II? Is it phone call/portal/email? because my voicemail lowkey doesn't work so I end up taking all the spam calls just in case lol

how do people typically get notified of their II? Is it phone call/portal/email? because my voicemail lowkey doesn't work so I end up taking all the spam calls just in case lol

Reactions: 1 user
Seems as though a significant amount of people here that submitted a secondary received an II. Is that the case?

Seems as though a significant amount of people here that submitted a secondary received an II. Is that the case?

Been about 3 weeks for me since secondary submission, haven't heard back yet so not sure if there is a strong correlation with that statement.

also noticing this....wondering why

Since Noorda is a new school with a new approach to med school curriculum, I'm sure they have a lower number of applications, as all new schools tend to. So I'm sure they just want to make sure they interview enough people -plus they do seem to look at applicants very holistically and maybe they're interviewing more people so that they cast a wide net for what they're looking for in their class?

They said that they are selective with who gets a secondary invite, they aren’t just going to take your $100 if they don’t feel you’re a good fit. So likely, barring something egregious in your video you’ll receive an II, just my opinion. Also they are slightly behind the published timeline for initiating interviews and likely have a lower applicant volume due to it being a brand new school. This seems to be a great opportunity for genuine people.

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone had their interview yet? If so what was the general vibe of the interview and how do you think it went?

Has anyone had their interview yet? If so what was the general vibe of the interview and how do you think it went?
pretty sure this is the first week of interviews and if memory serves, something like tomorrow is the first possible day. give it a week and you may be able to get some feedback on this.

For those interviewing on Dec 2, best of luck and you got this! I am interviewing this week as well and my DMs will be open to cherish this moment. We’ve all worked so hard just to be able to get this moment, can’t wait to meet some of my future classmates.

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm guessing they screened a little harder pre-secondary as there were a couple of rejections earlier in the the thread + it's a new DO School, those two could have a combination that resulted in a higher II

Will be withdrawing my app. The lack of answers to my questions during the interview just about sums up for-profit schools. I pray for any poor soul who has no choice but to attend this school.

Will be withdrawing my app. The lack of answers to my questions during the interview just about sums up for-profit schools. I pray for any poor soul who has no choice but to attend this school.
Can you share your questions so that the students applying can have a clear vision of your experience?

Reactions: 4 users
Besides the lack of answers to your questions, how was the rest of the interview? Laid back?

Would appreciate if you can expand on this. Also can you private message me? Thank you.

I feel like one person's opinions of "lack of answers" is definitely not representative of how someone else might've interpreted the answers. There are pros and cons to new schools, and one person's vibe from the interview will be different from another's. There's a post somewhere in the ICOM thread I think that lays out how for-profit schools work, and it's not inherently bad. Quite frankly, I think crapping on someone's school choice (or only choice) is not the way to go. Just because you think you'd be unhappy attending somewhere doesn't mean it isn't a good fit for others. And this is coming from someone who has pretty strong feelings along those lines toward a different school. It simply isn't a good fit for me, but I certainly wouldn't say those things toward others on the thread (even though I may quip, but that's just my nature).

Reactions: 9 users
Definitely got to say why. If there are issues people need to know those. Would love to hear about the interview day as a whole.

Did they ignore your questions or actually lacked a response to any of your questions? I think because they’re new to this it is also nerve wracking for them as well. They do not know everything that’s going on just yet and probably need more time. Also it’s some of their first time interviewing candidates as they mentioned prior so they’re probably also nervous. I am not trying to argue your experience but trying to shed light on their side as well. I might be wrong but I also do not want to scare prospective students from entering with an open mind. Either way, hope to hear back from you and I wish you the best in this cycle :)

Thank you for the honest feedback. We are happy to answer any questions you may have about our for-profit status, or any other concerns you may have. We strive for transparency and are open to discuss any and all concerns.

Reactions: 11 users
Do you know the difference between non-profit and for-profit?

It’s the fact a for-profit school says they’re going to offer an educational program, producing a needed product, while producing a profit for investors.

A non-profit school leaves out the “profit for investors” part. They don’t say the quiet part out loud. You don’t think that money really goes into “bettering” the program, do you?

This was talked about in the ICOM thread a bit, you summed it up succinctly and I hope others can see your point. Like, new schools need to have a profit of some sort to get their research and other opportunities off the ground (or give investors reasons to invest). Established schools have connections and the track record to not need to be for-profit, but for-profit isn't inherently a bad thing, like it's not a red flag. [unless I'm misunderstanding you, and you were replying to my earlier post, in which case sorry haha].

to echo what has already been said, most industries are for-profit. even "non-profit" organizations are for-profit; they are industrial complexes that exist in capitalism. I obviously don't know enough to argue for either side, but I'm personally excited for what Noorda-COM has to offer and can be empathetic about their nerves in this cycle. Being a new school on top of being a new school in a pandemic is difficult so the least we can do as SDN is hold space for those nerves. From what I noticed from their social media and how they have approached applicants so far, they mean well. I might be a little naive sometimes but just because my questions go unanswered in an interview session doesn't mean there's something inherently wrong with the school.

This Interview is definitely on par with the best med school interview I’ve had. Very conversational and low stress. The questions I had written down were asked by other applicants and they were answered very well! My advice is just be confident and honest and you will do great! Good luck everyone I hope to meet you guys soon :)

Reactions: 15 users
When do you guys think the next round of II's will come?

When do you guys think the next round of II's will come?
When was your secondary due date? Let’s say your due date was Nov 30th then I would expect your II to come next week on Tuesday or Friday. Now that they started interviewing and with the holidays I would possibly give it till next week or the following after that. Hopefully you get one soon though. Good luck!

When was your secondary due date? Let’s say your due date was Nov 30th then I would expect your II to come next week on Tuesday or Friday. Now that they started interviewing and with the holidays I would possibly give it till next week or the following after that. Hopefully you get one soon though. Good luck!
Mine was due Nov 24th! Maybe can expect one this Friday even.

I would not be surprised if it was this Friday. Either way let us know once you get that II so we can cheer you on :)

I just want to chime in that @dxu is correct. This comes from someone who has lived and worked as an adult in the real world for 20 years and seen my fair share of non-profit nonsense.

Does it defacto make you an unethical person if you work for pay instead of for free out of the kindness of your heart?

No. Nor does it make you a saint with no poor motives or management if you are a non-profit.

It's all revealed in your actions, and in this case, the actions of the school that should be the evidence that something is amiss and/or unethical about this school.

So far, I have witnessed only genuine, excited, compassionate, inventive, and hard-working people that have a beautiful and ambitious vision of what this school can be for the students, medical education, and the medical field.

I see all the right motivations so far.

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
Mine was too and comparing to others’ timelines, I think we should see it this Friday. That may not be the case though with thanksgiving break. They were closed for a few days

If anyone that interviewed could fill out the sdn interview feedback page with their experience (here) that would be helpful!
Also do they let you know who is interviewing you ahead of time?

Hey all!
Faculty Friday is back tomorrow - Simulation, Technology and Innovation with Michael Rhodes, MD (Associate Dean of Clinical Affairs) and Maria Vazquez-Amaral, JD (Assistant Dean of Medical Simulation). Register here for the webinar. You can also catch it live and catch up on past sessions on our Facebook page. We have also linked the past recordings on our website.
Thanks for connecting with us!
Casey Himmelsbach
Associate Dean for Student Affairs

Reactions: 14 users
II! My secondary was due on 11/19. :)

Congratulations to everyone who got interview invites! Hope to be in the same boat next week. My secondary was due 11/24. We got this!

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
II!! Was due 11/20 but had some submission problems and resent 11/24. So for those that had similar problemos you got hope!! Best of luck to fellow interviewees! 🥰

II so exited!!! Also due 11/20! Set my interview date for December 14th!