2020-2021 Pittsburgh

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
7 people have left the groupme since financial aid packages have come out, so fingers crossed that means some movement for yall soon!
This made my entire week 😍

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
7 people have left the groupme since financial aid packages have come out, so fingers crossed that means some movement for yall soon!
Literally bless you for this update, feel free to keep them coming in your spare time 😂❤️

Last cycle's thread is giving me a lot of hope for WL movement after April 30th. Some people got off around June 5th (!!).

Members don't see this ad :)
how many total people are currently in the groupme?

wow i was worried that only 7 people dropping wouldn't make an impact but with 149 people in the class of 2024 looks like they haven't overadmitted by much and will need to pull from WL - good luck to us all!

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
wow i was worried that only 7 people dropping wouldn't make an impact but with 149 people in the class of 2024 looks like they haven't overadmitted by much and will need to pull from WL - good luck to us all!
I still think Pitt overadmits to 250, but just attritions all the way down to 125 or whatever before FA packages.

Last edited:
True, but keep in mind that probably not all admitted applicants joined the group chat. But also it could be that some applicants who withdrew could have stayed in the group chat. So who knows what that number means, but I hope you're right!!

Reactions: 1 users
So if the WL was already ranked before the February 19 decision date, do letters of intent or updates do anything for Pitt after getting waitlisted (since it won't change our spot on the WL)?

So if the WL was already ranked before the February 19 decision date, do letters of intent or updates do anything for Pitt after getting waitlisted (since it won't change our spot on the WL)?
We have no way of knowing this, unfortunately!

No one knows, but word of mouth is Pitt does like knowing if you're interested in the school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think on the document outlining the official procedures the waitlist is ranked into two tiers (sucks they dont tell us what tier we're in anymore but whatever) and that they reevaluate you when pulling off the waitlist by tier.

Anyone know what time the chose your medical school deadline is today? Is it just end-of-day? Could we expect to see some WL movement as early as today or tomorrow?

Anyone know what time the chose your medical school deadline is today? Is it just end-of-day? Could we expect to see some WL movement as early as today or tomorrow?
From my understanding there is no official deadline for the 15th, it is solely a recommendation to limit to 3 schools on this date.

Reactions: 2 users
From my understanding there is no official deadline for the 15th, it is solely a recommendation to limit to 3 schools on this date.
That is correct, but AAMC data shows that the vast majority follow it anyways. Possibly, it is because AAMC makes it sound as if it's required.

Yes, true, but I (and pretty much everyone I know with multiple acceptances) have narrowed them down today, per the schools' recommendations.

Could we expect to see some WL movement as early as today or tomorrow?
Wouldn't the Admissions Committee need time to first convene and review acceptees who PTE today? I just doubt whether they will review this information quick enough to take people off the WL as early as today/tomorrow (Am I missing something here?). Earliest I was thinking is next week but most likely first couple weeks in May (last year it was May 4th I believe).

I have no idea about this but for some reason, I feel like they know who they will take off the WL first. I feel like they have already discussed their top choices. But yeah I don't know what the turnaround time will be either. Also interestingly in reference to only 140 people in the groupme, other schools have also under-admitted this year (no idea why- seems counterintuitive to me) but this was discussed by the CWRU admissions team.

Reactions: 6 users
I have no idea about this but for some reason, I feel like they know who they will take off the WL first. I feel like they have already discussed their top choices. But yeah I don't know what the turnaround time will be either. Also interestingly in reference to only 140 people in the groupme, other schools have also under-admitted this year (no idea why- seems counterintuitive to me) but this was discussed by the CWRU admissions team.
Interesting... Could you provide a link to where the CWRU underadmittance was discussed? Thanks!

Interesting... Could you provide a link to where the CWRU underadmittance was discussed? Thanks!
I think they're referring to CWRU's All Access: Med School Admission podcast, unless I'm mistaken.

Vanderbilt also sent an email to WL'd applicants saying that they chose to underadmit this year to they can pull more from the WL

"Because we had an increase of 26% in total applicants and had a unique experience hosting virtual interviews, we elected to be a bit more conservative with initial offers of acceptance. This was to ensure we would have the opportunity to visit the waitlist. "

Hope this is the case for Pitt as well

So we don't think that there will be any waitlist movement before the April 30th deadline despite the recent FA withdrawals and today's 3 acceptances deadline?

So we don't think that there will be any waitlist movement before the April 30th deadline despite the recent FA withdrawals and today's 3 acceptances deadline?
If they actually underadmitted, then it would be in their favor to have WL movement earlier than 4/30. If their class is relatively full already, I can see them waiting until after CTE deadline. Guess we’ll find out.

I think even if they under-admitted in February, they must have filled the class during the last waitlist movement. But there must be a second movement soon!

I think even if they under-admitted in February, they must have filled the class during the last waitlist movement. But there must be a second movement soon!
Hmm... What makes you say that they filled the class during the last WL movement?

Speculation but I don't think they had huge WL movement last time, and it appeared like the folks were all PSTP. Prior threads about WL movement were massive, not a few people here and there, and also prior threads didn't have people mentioning that they were all PSTP. My guess is they under-admitted for PSTP and that resulted in that mini-WL movement of people saying they were all admitted PSTP.

I don't know though ;)

Also PTSP admission decisions are done separately and seemed to be done a bit later. I didn't end up applying for PTSP but I remember they said that if you were WL MD and accepted PTSP then they would pull you from the WL. If you were rejected MD then it didn't matter the PTSP decision.

Speculation but I don't think they had huge WL movement last time, and it appeared like the folks were all PSTP. Prior threads about WL movement were massive, not a few people here and there, and also prior threads didn't have people mentioning that they were all PSTP. My guess is they under-admitted for PSTP and that resulted in that mini-WL movement of people saying they were all admitted PSTP.

I don't know though ;)
Just thought I'd pop in-I was admitted off the WL for only MD on mar 25 (did not apply for PSTP)! But there did seem to be a large crossover there and perhaps a fewer number of people compared to the last years so this is still a good point!!

• Love
Just thought I'd pop in-I was admitted off the WL for only MD on mar 25 (did not apply for PSTP)! But there did seem to be a large crossover there and perhaps a fewer number of people compared to the last years so this is still a good point!!

I also got off waitlist no PSTP

I don't know though ;)
1618534744973.png

Data I've been collecting doesn't really support that.

Updated count I ran based on people coming out of the shadows with their WL A's:

1618534775866.png

Disclaimer: Does not account for general population and withdrawals. Solely the running accepted/WL/R posts I've seen on SDN/Reddit/Personal friends or FoF.

Last edited:

I don't know though ;)
Well, I looked back and it seems like last year's *reported* initial WL movement was much smaller than that of this year... maybe they did fill a lot of their class with this year's first WL movement...

Which Reddit pages do you use?
Sorry, that was a blanket grouping. I knew of one specific person on Reddit, but they now have a SDN account. So the Reddit aspect is moot.

As I said, it was just a thought because 4 of the 9 happened to be on SDN. Congrats to all those who made it off the WL :)

I definitely don't think movements are done or that they overfilled their class though, given the rhetoric from adcoms and that pitt and really all T20s have 2 or 3 large WL waves

Definitely don't give up hope! Based on the crazy increase in the number of applications per applicant AMCAS reported (can't find the link with that data in it for some reason but there was also an increase in the number of applicants—but I think that factor is less relevant at this stage), I expect WL movement will be at an all time high. This is based on the assumption that competitive applicants applied to more schools (as a precautionary measure), attended more interviews (as cost was no long a factor to turn down interviews at schools they are less interested in), and received more acceptances than they would in a number cycle (hypothetically by at least one). I've been talking to many current PittMed students, and the general consensus is WL movement is huge. It seems as though approx. 1/3 of the class (at a minimum) was once on the WL (note: I have no data to support this, that stat is just a guess based on talks I've had with students there). So given the context of this admissions cycle I mentioned earlier, I propose WL movement might be even higher that typical.

Now, as for how the WL works, see page 4: https://www.medadmissions.pitt.edu/sites/default/files/UPSOM_BYLAWS_approved_1_22_2020_0.pdf
Rankings are only factored in for the initial decision and then what tier WL you are (which they don't tell you, but WL tier 2 is not a DOA delegation based on the wording of that PDF). A quote: "Applicants will be nominated from the waitlist by a subcommittee." Therefore, it is in your best interest to write a letter of interest/intent/update as to potentially spark a nomination from a committee member, as this might prompt them to review your application because you are showing continued interest. I got off the WL because of a PSTP A, but they still had to present me as a nomination to the WL committee for them to approve. This means, if my WL nomination for an A would not have been approved by the committee, I would have likely been rejected by the PSTP even if the PSTP wanted to accept me. PSTP functioned as a "nominator" in my case.

If I got anything incorrect here, please let me know! I don't want to spread misinformation.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 8 users
Sorry, that was a blanket grouping. I knew of one specific person on Reddit, but they now have a SDN account. So the Reddit aspect is moot.
Haha thanks, no worries. I've never used reddit for med school stuff, so I was wondering if a lot of people used it similar to sdn

Definitely don't give up hope! Based on the crazy increase in the number of applications per applicant AMCAS reported (can't find the link with that data in it for some reason but there was also an increase in the number of applicants—but I think that factor is less relevant at this stage), I expect WL movement will be at an all time high. This is based on the assumption that competitive applicants applied to more schools (as a precautionary measure), attended more interviews (as cost was no long a factor to turn down interviews at schools they are less interested in), and received more acceptances than they would in a number cycle (hypothetically by at least one). I've been talking to many current PittMed students, and the general consensus is WL movement is huge. It seems as though approx. 1/3 of the class (at a minimum) was once on the WL (note: I have no data to support this, that stat is just a guess based on talks I've had with students there). So given the context of this admissions cycle I mentioned earlier, I propose WL movement might be even higher that typical.

Now, as for how the WL works, see page 4: https://www.medadmissions.pitt.edu/sites/default/files/UPSOM_BYLAWS_approved_1_22_2020_0.pdf
Rankings are only factored in for the initial decision and then what tier WL you are (which they don't tell you, but WL tier 2 is not a DOA delegation based on the wording of that PDF). A quote: "Applicants will be nominated from the waitlist by a subcommittee." Therefore, it is in your best interest to write a letter of interest/intent/update as to potentially spark a nomination from a committee member, as this might prompt them to review your application because you are showing continued interest. I got off the WL because of a PSTP A, but they still had to present me as a nomination to the WL committee for them to approve. This means, if my WL nomination for an A would not have been approved by the committee, I would have been rejected by the PSTP even if the PSTP wanted to accept me. PSTP functioned as a "nominator" in my case.

If I got anything incorrect here, please let me know! I don't want to spread misinformation.
I will say this about PSTP: If PSTP wants you and MD WL'ed you, you get the MD A because PSTP holds more power.

I will say this about PSTP: If PSTP wants you and MD WL'ed you, you get the MD A because PSTP holds more power.
So what about us PSTP post-II rejects? Do you think this means the WL committee didn’t want to pull us or was it just a PSTP decision?

So what about us PSTP post-II rejects? Do you think this means the WL committee didn’t want to pull us or was it just a PSTP decision?
Well, the PSTP R didn't give you an automatic A, and I guess you, like me, were not otherwise nominated for acceptance. So both I'd say...

Most likely just a PSTP decision! I know they interviewed a bunch more people than normal, so a lot of PSTP R's went around. While the PSTP does have to present you to the WL committee, it's not likely that the WL committee would reject your nomination. I think that part of the process is more of a formality, but is still possible in rare cases. I mean, if the WL committee has no intention of accepting you, then you likely would've just rejected you from the get-go.

Dear Pitt,

Please.

Sincerely,
Warm Potato

• Care
Reactions: 13 users
Does anyone feel like this year an abnormally large number of people have Pitt as their top choice (compared to previous years)? This thought is based solely on this thread and Reddit, so I'm sure there's some bias involved.

I'm just hoping WL movement will be as dynamic (or hopefully more) as previous years.

(Also, if someone could update us on the number of people in the accepted students GroupMe, that would be awesome haha)

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone feel like this year an abnormally large number of people have Pitt as their top choice (compared to previous years)? This thought is based solely on this thread and Reddit, so I'm sure there's some bias involved.

I'm just hoping WL movement will be as dynamic (or hopefully more) as previous years.

(Also, if someone could update us on the number of people in the accepted students GroupMe, that would be awesome haha)
tbh I don't really notice much of a difference between the last few years' threads. But I'm also one of those people that doesn't think waitlist movement will be different this year -- just delayed. Full disclosure -- I'm part of several class's GroupMe's, even though I'll obviously be narrowing down to one school (and one GroupMe lol) on April 30. I think the same is probably true for other people.

I did a cursory look back to last year, and I saw maybe 1 person mention a letter of intent/interest immediately following the initial decisions. So yes, it seems like there are a lot more people on SDN this year with Pitt as their #1...