2020-2021 Pittsburgh

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Current MS1. Pitt is P/F unranked for the pre-clinical years - no AOA either. Clerkships are graded honors, high/low satisfactory, unsatisfactory. In-person activities are almost assured for matriculants by the fall and should be the case for basically every medical school in the country. We are already in-person for our clinical experiences courses and shadowing has been wide open at UPMC for a few months now.
Along these lines, any word on whether 2nd Look will be in person?

Members don't see this ad.

Accepted off the wait-list! I was elated for about one minute when I got the news before the reality of packing up my whole life and moving to an entirely different climate set in lol. I'm knocking on the door of age 30 and have been out of school working full time for several years. As a result, I currently own a 2016 Toyota Camry, enough furniture and housewares to fill a 900+ sq ft apartment, and both large and small appliances. Questions from a southern nontrad student -

1) Should I sell my car, trade it in for a cheaper/more weather-appropiate vehicle, trade it in for a hybrid (save on gas), or just keep it?

2) Do I need to overhaul my wardrobe or just add in a good winter coat and boots? I'm from a southern state where we get snow maybe once or twice a year and most of my clothing is for warmer weather.

3) Should I consider selling any of my furniture or appliances (e.g. my washer and dryer)? I will be moving roughly six hours away from my current residence to attend Pitt.

Thanks in advance!
Haha, I'm not a student (still on WL), but, as for the belongings you want to keep, I think that you'll have to decide what's important to you. I'm sure your car is fine, you'll just have to learn how to drive in snow.

And sure, you'll need warmer clothes for winter, but I find it hard to believe you'll need to completely change your wardrobe.

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted off the wait-list! I was elated for about one minute when I got the news before the reality of packing up my whole life and moving to an entirely different climate set in lol. I'm knocking on the door of age 30 and have been out of school working full time for several years. As a result, I currently own a 2016 Toyota Camry, enough furniture and housewares to fill a 900+ sq ft apartment, and both large and small appliances. Questions from a southern nontrad student -

1) Should I sell my car, trade it in for a cheaper/more weather-appropiate vehicle, trade it in for a hybrid (save on gas), or just keep it?

2) Do I need to overhaul my wardrobe or just add in a good winter coat and boots? I'm from a southern state where we get snow maybe once or twice a year and most of my clothing is for warmer weather.

3) Should I consider selling any of my furniture or appliances (e.g. my washer and dryer)? I will be moving roughly six hours away from my current residence to attend Pitt.

Thanks in advance!
I won't lie to you. Winters can be pretty brutal. I am from pgh and went to pitt undergrad. They do a pretty good job about shoveling the sidewalks, but you definitely need a good pair of boots. The winter and a large majority of the spring usually is pretty cold, and I think one year it snowed like almost every day in the winter. You definitely will need a fair amount of clothes for the winter.
tumblr_nfghuinmk61s5n19go1_400.gif

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I won't lie to you. Winters can be pretty brutal. I am from pgh and went to pitt undergrad. They do a pretty good job about shoveling the sidewalks, but you definitely need a good pair of boots. The winter and a large majority of the spring usually is pretty cold, and I think one year it snowed like almost every day in the winter. You definitely will need a fair amount of clothes for the winter.
View attachment 333500
When cardiac hill turns into a sheet of ice... yikes

View attachment 333500
Okay, thanks for the info! I know it's going to be a whole new experience in many ways, including the weather. Now, I can start prepping for the future

Thanks in advance!
1) You will definitely need a car in Pittsburgh; and if you can afford a more weather-appropriate car with good gas mileage, then that would be even better. I'm from Alabama. I don't live in Pittsburgh, but visit every now and then and I plan on apply to U Pitt's medical school next year.

2) Buy winter clothes! It definitely snows in the winter months, but you don't need to completely overhaul your wardrobe. Pittsburgh is cold and chilly for at least 5-6 months out of the year.

Thanks in advance!
Hey! I'm from the South and have thought about these things too! FWIW I currently drive a Camry and plan to sell it for a SUV. Wardrobe wise I'm definitely getting more winter coats/outerwear, boots, and generally things that are easy to layer (couldn't get myself to buy new clothes during lockdown so super excited :love:)

Has anyone still on the WL NOT gotten a WL letter?

Reactions: 2 users

1) You will definitely need a car in Pittsburgh; and if you can afford a more weather-appropriate car with good gas mileage, then that would be even better. I'm from Alabama. I don't live in Pittsburgh, but visit every now and then and I plan on apply to U Pitt's medical school next year.

2) Buy winter clothes! It definitely snows in the winter months, but you don't need to completely overhaul your wardrobe. Pittsburgh is cold and chilly for at least 5-6 months out of the year.
I'm going to disagree here. A car is nice to have but not at all needed. I have a car but rarely use it (I live in Shadyside). It's nice for hauling groceries once a week, but otherwise don't have much use for it. I'm glad I have mine because it means I have more freedom, but I know several current medical students at Pitt who do not own cars and it's working out well for them. You'll just want to live in a central location that's a short bus ride from the medical school (i.e. Shadyside).

I'm from the South as well. You will want boots and a down jacket for sure, but no need to replace your entire wardrobe. (I made it through last winter without boots, though I would not recommend doing that.)

As far as your furniture situation... I've moved around the country several times. Honestly it's rarely worth it to bring furniture with you. Figure out how much it will cost you to transport what you have versus replace it once you arrive in Pittsburgh, and do what makes the most sense. If you are patient you can buy most of what you need used on Craigslist/FB marketplace and get the rest at Ikea if you're trying to save money.

Congrats and looking forward to getting acquainted! Feel free to pm me with any questions about moving, where to live, etc.

Does anyone know when financial awards are going to be released?

Does anyone know when financial awards are going to be released?
Last year, it was March 31, followed by WL movement on the 9th (I'd push this date back a week or two, if being done at all given March movement).

Members don't see this ad :)
Got the PSTP call too!!!! Guess I need to get up to Pitt ASAP!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Got the PSTP call too! Super excited to meet y'all :D

• Love
Looks like a lot of WL -> A from last week were PSTP people.

Maybe us non-PSTP people will hear back in the next waves

Reactions: 8 users
Looks like a lot of WL -> A from last week were PSTP people.

Maybe us non-PSTP people will hear back in the next waves
That's the hope...

Interestingly, 4 of the ~9 PSTP people are from the SDN thread. Congrats y'all.

Last edited:
  • Love
That's the hope...

Interestingly, 3 of the ~9 PSTP people are from the SDN thread. Congrats y'all.
True. They also could have sent out more PSTP A's than there are spots, as I'm sure some applicants would end up withdrawing

Last edited by a moderator:
as I'm sure some applicants would end up withdrawing
I'm legit PRAYING for this (not necessarily for PSTP, but just general MD). Currently using every fiber in my body to hold onto that sliver of hope... If you plan on withdrawing from Pitt soon, just know that you have a special place in my heart LOL 😘🫀

Does anyone have any predictions for the next WL movement? Possibly before the CTE deadline (April 30)?

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
In my endless neuroticism, I made a spreadsheet with the decisions from 2/19 and 3/25.

This is the SDN data plus 5 non-SDNers I interact with (making up 123 of the ~900 pool):
1617081007750.png

*Does not account for withdrawn As and WLs from this thread. Had to infer several WLs based on the user mentioning sending LOI/Updates post-Feb 19.

Lets say we can extrapolate: 900/123 = 7.3x
Initial As:
~240 (Reasonable and it is in line with calculations made by last year's class of ~250.)
Initial WLs: ~610 (Low certainty, but possible. I would donate max 100 of these to the R pile.)
Initial/Final Rs: ~50 (Seems pretty small, but who knows.)

Can't extrapolate beyond Feb-19, because decisions no longer are applied to the entire collective. Just some food for thought.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Can any current students speak on the pros/cons of living at Darragh? What's the consensus, is it worth it?
its hella convenient and a good way to connect with fellow classmates but feels a tad like freshman year of college. If you have no connections to pgh or know people here, I'd say go for it. Can move out m2 with friends you make

In my endless neuroticism, I made a spreadsheet with the decisions from 2/19 and 3/25.

This is the SDN data plus 5 non-SDNers I interact with (making up 123 of the ~900 pool):
View attachment 333731
*Does not account for withdrawn As and WLs from this thread. Had to infer several WLs based on the user mentioning sending LOI/Updates post-Feb 19.

Let say we can extrapolate 900/123 = 7.3x
Initial As:
~240 (Reasonable and it is in line with calculations made by last year's class of ~250.)
Initial WLs: ~610 (Low certainty, but possible. I would donate max 100 of these to the R pile.)
Initial/Final Rs: ~50 (Seems pretty small, but who knows.)

Can't extrapolate beyond Feb-19, because decisions no longer are applied to the entire collective. Just some food for thought.
Interesting estimations, and shows that there is a ton of WL movement, which is hopeful. Hard to get be certain about these numbers based upon self-reported SDN data, but it helps give an idea

Just FYI the financial aid office informed me they plan to release award letters the first week of April

Reactions: 5 users
Yeah screw the message in a bottle of intent. Everyone and their grandma sends one. Try this maybe:

Pitt Med numbah one (14)
US News Report so good
Pitt Med so so good
minor, but kinda super important haiku update guys

Pitt Med numbah one (13)
US News Report so good
Pitt Med so so good

• Haha
Just poured my heart into a letter of intent. Please bless me with an acceptance here admissions gods

There has been this idea floating around that schools like Pitt basically only admit people from the waitlist if a similar person gave up his or her spot. So like, if you're from PA, especially, you'll only get in if someone from PA gives up a spot. Has anyone heard this as well?

There has been this idea floating around that schools like Pitt basically only admit people from the waitlist if a similar person gave up his or her spot. So like, if you're from PA, especially, you'll only get in if someone from PA gives up a spot. Has anyone heard this as well?

Heard of it but ultimately its not exactly actionable information.

Also think its more specific than just from PA. More like if the male figure skating champion dropped they'll let a guy whos into figure skating off the waitlist or something.

Heard this from the SDN AdComs but not specific to any particular school. If an accepted applicant of a particular demographic withdraws, they are very likely to admit someone of a very similar demographic off the WL (usually based on gender, race, or background).

I guess… USNWR rankings didn’t help us at all in terms of people dropping because of rank movement.

Heard this from the SDN AdComs but not specific to any particular school. If an accepted applicant of a particular demographic withdraws, they are very likely to admit someone of a very similar demographic off the WL (usually based on gender, race, or background).
Hoping blushing potatoes from warmer climates withdraw soon.

so when do y'all think the next wave of WL movement will be
FA decisions are supposed to be coming out this week and the first choose your school deadline is April 15th. I bet we'll see movement within the next couple of weeks

Same here. Either I'm tripping or Pitt is EXTREMELY generous with need-based aid :oops:

FYI the time between FA decisions and second WL movement last year was ~10 days

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Sooo....is not all hope lost.

Hey accepted friends 😊 a friendly reminder that if you are certain that you won't attend Pitt, please think about withdrawing soon so us WL'd folks could have a chance. Thanks!

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
Hey accepted friends 😊 a friendly reminder that if you are certain that you won't attend Pitt, please think about withdrawing soon so us WL'd folks could have a chance. Thanks!
7 people have left the groupme since financial aid packages have come out, so fingers crossed that means some movement for yall soon!
Edit: 9 people

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Care
Reactions: 16 users