2020-2021 Stanford

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Y’all are awesome, thanks so much for the helpful responses, I appreciate it!!

Members don't see this ad.

RIP, Post-II WL last night, interviewed on 12/2. Was wondering if anyone on the previous waitlists got the "has regarded your application very highly" in their email.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
RIP, Post-II WL last night, interviewed on 12/2. Was wondering if anyone on the previous waitlists got the "has regarded your application very highly" in their email.
mine had it (also got last night). it kinda read as generic to me.

• Care
Members don't see this ad :)
Nope;

*sweats profusely

Reactions: 1 user
Tbh i think its just to make us feel better since we didn't have a decision since December. The whole sentence is " The Committee on Admissions has regarded your application very highly and appreciates your patience. "

I also got that phrase (edit: last night) and interviewed-late Jan! Wonder why they have different WL letters :oops:

Last edited:
I only had two interviews, and was waitlisted to both. Is there anything I can do to convince Stanford to accept me T_T I can't imagine reapplying next cycle after applying to 55 places this year and getting so many rejections

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
I only had two interviews, and was waitlisted to both. Is there anything I can do to convince Stanford to accept me T_T I can't imagine reapplying next cycle after applying to 55 places this year and getting so many rejections
I feel ya, I’m also sitting on WLs🥲

Members don't see this ad :)
What is the difference between the PSTP program (that you had to apply to/interview for) and just doing a 5-year track for the discovery curriculum w/research? I didn't apply PSTP but would definitely be interested in doing an extra year of research if that's an option. Is the PSTP program just a formal way of doing this?

For people on the waitlist, can we send in update letters? I don’t see an option to put that in on my portal.

What is the difference between the PSTP program (that you had to apply to/interview for) and just doing a 5-year track for the discovery curriculum w/research? I didn't apply PSTP but would definitely be interested in doing an extra year of research if that's an option. Is the PSTP program just a formal way of doing this?

I think its just extra funding/prestige/mentorship tbh

I can't believe they send so many things to us to convince us to come haha. I wish all my A's did this lol. I guess that's Stanford for you.

Has anyone gotten indication of a "high priority" WL? It seems that something along those lines went out last yr after some of the last WL notifs. Or do we think the "regarded your application very highly" is the closest thing we're going to get?
would that come in the initial waitlist email or as a follow up email later on?

Has anyone gotten indication of a "high priority" WL? It seems that something along those lines went out last yr after some of the last WL notifs. Or do we think the "regarded your application very highly" is the closest thing we're going to get?
From my understanding that just seemed to be the wording of that round of waitlist letters? In mine (from January) at the bottom they also included, “Please be aware that assessments of the likelihood to be admitted from the waitlist are not provided to waitlisted candidates.” So I kind of doubt they will let us know who is high priority and who is not.

From my understanding that just seemed to be the wording of that round of waitlist letters? In mine (from January) at the bottom they also included, “Please be aware that assessments of the likelihood to be admitted from the waitlist are not provided to waitlisted candidates.” So I kind of doubt they will let us know who is high priority and who is not.
was this on the jan 27 wave? I didn't get the "regarded your application very highly" so maybe that is the indicator if you're high priority.

was this on the jan 27 wave? I didn't get the "regarded your application very highly" so maybe that is the indicator if you're high priority.
Yeah my waitlist was on January 29. I think in February the waitlist letter for everyone just had a different wording than those in January and is not really an indicator of high priority.

Congratulations to everyone who got accepted/waitlisted! If you wouldn't mind, can you please mention your stats? Thanks!

My understanding of the difference given that they did not make a formal distinction between various graduation paths when my class started is basically whether or not you “split” the curriculum. You can read here for more:

The Tl;dr is that you can do 5 year MD one of two ways: 1) you can “split” the curriculum and do 50% research x2 years along a “half-speed” M2 (essentially enrolling in half of your M2 classes at a time to free up time for research, but also pre-Clin is one year longer). 2) you can apply for MedScholars or other sources of funding for a research year between M1/2, 2/3, or 3/4 and spend that year 100% focused on research or maybe an additional degree (like an MS in Epi eg).

This is distinguished from Berg or MSTP, which are both their own thing.

Yeah my waitlist was on January 29. I think in February the waitlist letter for everyone just had a different wording than those in January and is not really an indicator of high priority.
Same with the January WL

For people on the waitlist, does Stanford accept letter of intent? Where do we upload it?

For people on the waitlist, does Stanford accept letter of intent? Where do we upload it?
Hey I reached out to admissions to find out, and they said not to send any letters of intent/interest or update letters! So we only had that 2wk window after the interview to send in updates

To all that got their financial aid package, all loans or do some of y’all have hella good scholarship/grant packages?

All loans. on the pain train
Sorry- only feel comfortable sharing what you're comfortable with- but is this because you have a high estimated family contribution? I thought the Arrillaga gift was meant to eliminate loans.. is that only for high-need students? (I'm on the WL, and the no-debt gift is obviously a big draw)

I'm all loans too. The arillaga gift seems like it's only for people who's families are in lower income brackets.

I'm all loans too. The arillaga gift seems like it's only for people who's families are in lower income brackets.

Students whose families make from 0-200K a year will most likely not have to take out all loans to come here depending on their assets. I don't know and can't provide exact numbers, simply know from individual cases of classmates I am familiar with. Just clarifying since we all mean different things when we talk about SES, I would not consider anyone whose family makes six figures low income.

Stanford is trying to move towards a loan/debt free model, but the Arrillaga gift is just a (quite big) step in that direction. If you are truly low-income, you will most likely not have to take any loans to come here and may also qualify for an additional scholarship which provides a stipend towards living expenses.

Also, although no one should factor in TA-ships or medscholars as a way to reduce debt because they are not absolutely guaranteed funding sources, they are a highly common source of supplemental funding to reduce tuition and living expenses, something thats a little unique about stanford compared to other schools. That said, we are not like other schools that are truly debt free.

Last edited:
Sorry- only feel comfortable sharing what you're comfortable with- but is this because you have a high estimated family contribution? I thought the Arrillaga gift was meant to eliminate loans.. is that only for high-need students? (I'm on the WL, and the no-debt gift is obviously a big draw)

Yeah no problem. Agreed with what Lucca said above. It's also possible as time goes on, fin aid will be expanded.

My estimated family contribution was too high for consideration of both Stanford grants (direct aid basically) and Stanford loans (really nice loans that only start accruing interest after residency). It's tough because there's not really any way to appeal it - it's not like the estimated family contribution is actually a realistic look into how my med school is going to be funded or realistic to assume my parents would or even could just pay 100% out of pocket. Unfortunate but that's how Stanford is currently doing it. I'll just have to do medscholars + TAing and try to minimize interest accruing asap.

That being said, a lot of people rave about how good their fin aid offers are at Stanford, and that's great. I'm not in that position but it's nice that other people that really need it and might not be able to come to Stanford, now are able to.

Yeah no problem. Agreed with what Lucca said above. It's also possible as time goes on, fin aid will be expanded.

My estimated family contribution was too high for consideration of both Stanford grants (direct aid basically) and Stanford loans (really nice loans that only start accruing interest after residency). It's tough because there's not really any way to appeal it - it's not like the estimated family contribution is actually a realistic look into how my med school is going to be funded or realistic to assume my parents would or even could just pay 100% out of pocket. Unfortunate but that's how Stanford is currently doing it. I'll just have to do medscholars + TAing and try to minimize interest accruing asap.

That being said, a lot of people rave about how good their fin aid offers are at Stanford, and that's great. I'm not in that position but it's nice that other people that really need it and might not be able to come to Stanford, now are able to.
My understanding has always been that med school students on average, but especially at Stanford, tend to be hella rich. Therefore, anyone even making less than 150 K/year, would be considered “low income” by Stanford. Granted anything between 100 and 150 K is probably still very upper middle class, but that still seems like the exception at Stanford - insofar as these people would be eligible for great financial aid. I’m sure they take low income kids, but seems like a really small minority unfortunately. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I always felt like this place like self selected for the ultra rich, so even lower upper/straight up upper middle class would be getting amazing aid.

My understanding has always been that med school students on average, but especially at Stanford, tend to be hella rich. Therefore, anyone even making less than 150 K/year, would be considered “low income” by Stanford. Granted anything between 100 and 150 K is probably still very upper middle class, but that still seems like the exception at Stanford - insofar as these people would be eligible for great financial aid. I’m sure they take low income kids, but seems like a really small minority unfortunately. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I always felt like this place like self selected for the ultra rich, so even lower upper/straight up upper middle class would be getting amazing aid.

FWIW, I will say the Financial Aid person I talked to mentioned something ~120K being an approximate cutoff for at least part of financial aid. So I would agree with most of what you said but upper middle class at least will not be getting amazing aid (although that technically depends on what you would define as that). If they get anything, it's likely a mixture of Stanford and Fed loans.

Students whose families make from 0-200K a year will most likely not have to take out all loans to come here depending on their assets. I don't know and can't provide exact numbers, simply know from individual cases of classmates I am familiar with. Just clarifying since we all mean different things when we talk about SES, I would not consider anyone whose family makes six figures low income.

Stanford is trying to move towards a loan/debt free model, but the Arrillaga gift is just a (quite big) step in that direction. If you are truly low-income, you will most likely not have to take any loans to come here and may also qualify for an additional scholarship which provides a stipend towards living expenses.

Also, although no one should factor in TA-ships or medscholars as a way to reduce debt because they are not absolutely guaranteed funding sources, they are a highly common source of supplemental funding to reduce tuition and living expenses, something thats a little unique about stanford compared to other schools. That said, we are not like other schools that are truly debt free.
Oh yeah sorry, I didn't mean to say 6 figures was a low-income bracket. I said lower than I guess what I fall in...

Last edited by a moderator:

No Debt Schools (Stanford, Cornell etc) are all based on meeting the financial need Beyond THEIR calculated EFC for you.

does anyone know if Stanford matches need-based FA from other schools? I know their FA letter says they technically don't, but just wondering if anyone had success in asking anyway

If I have a new publication, can I send it as an update to Stanford? If I don't get off the waitlist I'm going to have to reapply and I'm so tired T__T

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
If I have a new publication, can I send it as an update to Stanford? If I don't get off the waitlist I'm going to have to reapply and I'm so tired T__T
You can email them to ask to double check but they told me they don’t take updates anymore

Any ideas on the number of accepted students in the fb page? Would love to know what kind of WL movement to expect so that I can finally put an end to this dreadful wait...or not.

Has anyone gotten an acceptance call or email off the WL yet?

Has anyone this year received a high-priority WL email? Saw on last year's thread that a few got them

Any ideas on the number of accepted students in the fb page? Would love to know what kind of WL movement to expect so that I can finally put an end to this dreadful wait...or not.
There are 175 members on the FB page, but many of them seem to be current M1s. There are 103 members in Slack, with I think a handful of M1s. Fingers crossed for y'all!

Reactions: 2 users
There are 175 members on the FB page, but many of them seem to be current M1s. There are 103 members in Slack, with I think a handful of M1s. Fingers crossed for y'all!
Are these just people who were accepted or those who have already committed/indicated PTE?

Are these just people who were accepted or those who have already committed/indicated PTE?
Definitely still includes folks who've CTE/PTE elsewhere. Sorry this isn't very helpful, I know :(

Thank you so much! Hopefully we’ll hear something today or tomorrow.