2020-2021 Stanford

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. The Committee on Admissions regards the diversity (broadly defined) of an entering class as an important factor in serving the educational mission of the school. The Committee on Admissions strongly encourages you to share unique, personally important and/or challenging factors in your background which may include such discussions as the quality of your early education, gender, sexual orientation, any physical challenges, and life or work experiences. Please describe how these factors have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine and may help you to uniquely contribute to the Stanford learning environment. (2000 c)

2. Choose the single answer that best describes your career goals and clinical practice setting:

Academic Medicine (Clinical)
Academic Medicine (Physician Scientist)
Non-Academic Clinical Practice
Health Policy
Health Administration
Primary Care
Public Health/Community Health
Global Health
Why do you feel you are particularly suited for this practice scenario? What knowledge, skills and attitudes have you developed that have prepared you for this career path? (1000 c)

3. How will you take advantage of the Stanford Medicine Discovery Curriculum and scholarly concentration requirement to achieve your personal career goals? (1000 c)

4. Please describe any lessons, hardships, challenges, or opportunities that resulted from the global COVID-19 pandemic. Include any impact on your medical school application preparation in the areas of academics, research, employment, volunteer service, and/or clinical experiences. (1000 c)

5. Please include anything else that will help us understand better how you may uniquely contribute to Stanford Medicine? (OPTIONAL) (1000 c)

Good luck to everyone applying!

1. Describe your most significant research experience. Include the rationale, results, and conclusions, and the role you played in each of these components.
Please be very specific, including the dates and amount of time you were engaged. For publications or presentations that resulted or will result from this work, include a complete citation with the names of all authors and the status (e.g., submitted, in preparation).
Please limit your answer to 2,500 characters including spaces.

2. Describe in a short paragraph your educational and family background.
E.g., I grew up in New York City, as the 3rd child of a high school principal and homemaker. I attended Mann High School where my major interests were boxing and drama.
Please limit your answer to 600 characters including spaces.

3. Describe your reasons for pursuing medical scientist training in relation to your long-term career goals. Why are you applying to a combined degree program rather than graduate or medical school only?
Please limit your answer to 800 characters including spaces.

4. Describe your current lab affiliation and the weekly time commitment required.
E.g., I am working in the Griffin lab where I performed research in the summer following junior year for 20 hours per week.

5. Describe any other research experiences you think would be relevant to the MSTP MD-PhD Admissions Committee decision.

6. Describe any patient-related, teaching, and service-oriented activities relevant to the MSTP MD-PhD Admissions Committee decision.

7. Describe any other aspect of your background you think would be relevant to the MSTP MD-PhD Admissions Committee decision.

Interview Feedback: Stanford University

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
For the secondary question (from last year) that asks about the field of medicine you are most interested in going in, is there a type of medicine that Stanford historically seems to prefer? I know you should obviously choose the one you are actually interested in, but I kind of have interests in two of the ones listed (Academic Clinical Medicine and Public/Community Health) and I have background experience in both. I'm deciding what to put for that one and wondering if there's a field that Stanford seems to particularly like more than others?

Reactions: 1 user
For the secondary question (from last year) that asks about the field of medicine you are most interested in going in, is there a type of medicine that Stanford historically seems to prefer? I know you should obviously choose the one you are actually interested in, but I kind of have interests in two of the ones listed (Academic Clinical Medicine and Public/Community Health) and I have background experience in both. I'm deciding what to put for that one and wondering if there's a field that Stanford seems to particularly like more than others?

there is not one preferred answer. I’d pick whatever makes the most sense for your experience and then write about how you want to combine it / weave it in different ways into your career, at least as you see it now

Members don't see this ad :)
For the secondary prompt that asks about your future preferred path, can somebody help me get a better idea of what each field entails? They are:
  • Academic Medicine (Clinical)
  • Academic Medicine (Physician Scientist)
  • Non-Academic Clinical Practice
  • Health Policy
  • Health Administration
  • Primary Care
  • Public Health/Community Health
  • Global Health
Thank you for any help!

Is it true that the MCAT will be optional for Stanford this cycle?
There seems to be a bit of confusing information at Stanford Med website. According to this link it seems that all CA schools will accept applications without MCAT but score has to be submitted if testing restarts before Oct. Since MCAT testing has resumed it implies applicant have to submit the score.
However, this Stanford Med FAQ says that MCAT is optional for this cycle if you have not taken it already. However, if you already have a score it has to be submitted. Unless I missed something, the FAQ seems to imply that they will not require MCAT score to make final admission decisions for applicants who did not get a chance to take it.
In reality though, since most applicants will be applying to 10's of schools and most have not waived MCAT for final decision, this really is a moot point.

Edit: just saw there is fuller discussion on this issue on this thread.

Last edited:
So with this new policy with options MCAT, will it not be worth me applying (514 MCAT)? I wasn’t planning on applying but rest of my app is pretty strong (3.9 cGPA and sGPA), other than my mcat

So with this new policy with options MCAT, will it not be worth me applying (514 MCAT)? I wasn’t planning on applying but rest of my app is pretty strong (3.9 cGPA and sGPA), other than my mcat

"For applications without any prior reported MCAT scores, MCAT is optional for the 2021 admissions cycle." You'll be submitting your MCAT score since you've already taken it.

The site clearly says that to be fair to all students, the MCAT will not be used at least for the initial screening to make interview invites.

"In fairness to all applicants, the MCAT will not be part of the screening and initial review process for interview decisions." Yeah, this seems really strange because it implies they won't use the MCAT at all, but I don't think this is the case. If you don't have an MCAT that just means they won't rule you out in the "screening and initial review" for interview decisions. I'm sure the MCAT isn't completely ignored this cycle... right?

"In fairness to all applicants, the MCAT will not be part of the screening and initial review process for interview decisions." Yeah, this seems really strange because it implies they won't use the MCAT at all, but I don't think this is the case. If you don't have an MCAT that just means they won't rule you out in the "screening and initial review" for interview decisions. I'm sure the MCAT isn't completely ignored this cycle... right?
Sounds to me like they'll still use it if it's available in their post-interview decisions, at least. But I think you're right and they can't just completely ignore MCAT scores - even if they state officially that they're not considering the MCAT in pre-interview decisions, if they see the scores at all, I'm sure there's still some unconscious bias towards higher MCAT scores.

Sounds to me like they'll still use it if it's available in their post-interview decisions, at least. But I think you're right and they can't just completely ignore MCAT scores - even if they state officially that they're not considering the MCAT in pre-interview decisions, if they see the scores at all, I'm sure there's still some unconscious bias towards higher MCAT scores.
In an ambiguous way is worded it seems they reserve the right to accept any candidate that was unable to take the MCAT because of COVID without it if their app is exceptional etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. The Committee on Admissions regards the diversity (broadly defined) of an entering class as an important factor in serving the educational mission of the school. The Committee on Admissions strongly encourages you to share unique, personally important and/or challenging factors in your background which may include such discussions as the quality of your early education, gender, sexual orientation, any physical challenges, and life or work experiences. Please describe how these factors have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine and may help you to uniquely contribute to the Stanford learning environment. (2000 c)

2. Choose the single answer that best describes your career goals and clinical practice setting:

Academic Medicine (Clinical)
Academic Medicine (Physician Scientist)
Non-Academic Clinical Practice
Health Policy
Health Administration
Primary Care
Public Health/Community Health
Global Health
Why do you feel you are particularly suited for this practice scenario? What knowledge, skills and attitudes have you developed that have prepared you for this career path? (1000 c)

3. How will you take advantage of the Stanford Medicine Discovery Curriculum and scholarly concentration requirement to achieve your personal career goals? (1000 c)

4. Please describe any lessons, hardships, challenges, or opportunities that resulted from the global COVID-19 pandemic. Include any impact on your medical school application preparation in the areas of academics, research, employment, volunteer service, and/or clinical experiences. (1000 c)

5. Please include anything else that will help us understand better how you may uniquely contribute to Stanford Medicine? (OPTIONAL) (1000 c)

@TheDataKing

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
Is anyone else getting a weird bug where you can't log in, even if you enter the correct username and password?

Edit: just kidding, I think it's working for me now

Last edited:
Hi everyone- I am sorry for this stupid question, but what does OOS and IS mean for secondaries on the posts here? Thank you!

Hi everyone- I am sorry for this stupid question, but what does OOS and IS mean for secondaries on the posts here? Thank you!

In state / out of state... not that it really matters for Stanford lol

Stanford claims that "an overwhelming majority of students already take 5 years or more to complete their medical degree" on their website. Could any current student confirm this?

This is probably accurate. Maybe 1/2 to 3/4 of students in a given class will take more than 4 years by my reckoning although I dont know the official numbers. It is very common here to take research years, or do dual degrees, as there are several mechanisms to make it cost-neutral or close. Also you are not charged the full tuition rate after 4 years (12 quarters) of being enrolled in the MD program and afterwards you pay the "research-rate" which is like ~80% cheaper.

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone with verified AMCAS not yet rec'd secondaries? Do they not send all at the same time?

Do you guys think they're asking for like a reflection on what I think of the medical field in light of the pandemic? Or can I just say my shadowing got cut short and my teaching experiences got transitioned online lol

Do you guys think they're asking for like a reflection on what I think of the medical field in light of the pandemic? Or can I just say my shadowing got cut short and my teaching experiences got transitioned online lol
I just described how my volunteering and my gap year plan were changed by the pandemic. It's a pretty short character limit, so I kept it simple.

Still no secondary, app was transmitted 7/10 :(

I added one sentence of reflection at the end - just depends on how much you have to say about how it's impacted you since the character count is so small

Is anyone else getting a weird bug where you can't log in, even if you enter the correct username and password?

Edit: just kidding, I think it's working for me now
i'm getting this issue, how'd you fix it?

edit: nvm seems like an issue with google chrome, worked on safari

Still no secondary, app was transmitted 7/10 :(

I'm having this same issue, but I wouldn't worry! I contacted them yesterday and they said they're still sifting through applications that were transmitted 7/10. It seems like they're going in order of date of verification

I'm having this same issue, but I wouldn't worry! I contacted them yesterday and they said they're still sifting through applications that were transmitted 7/10. It seems like they're going in order of date of verification

I was verified 9 June (and thus transmitted 10 July) and have not yet received a secondary application. I’m hoping it’ll arrive sometime this week. MSAR says they send to “all eligible applicants,” which, to me, suggests they don’t screen.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
For the last "optional" prompt, what do people usually write? Running out of ideas here

Has anyone received the MSTP secondary yet? If so, could you post the prompts?

Has anyone received the MSTP secondary yet? If so, could you post the prompts?

All the same MD essays about diversity, future practice scenario, how you'll take advantage of their curriculum, if COVID has impacted you, and "anything else", and then these are the MSTP specific questions:

1. Describe your most significant research experience. Include the rationale, results, and conclusions, and the role you played in each of these components.
Please be very specific, including the dates and amount of time you were engaged. For publications or presentations that resulted or will result from this work, include a complete citation with the names of all authors and the status (e.g., submitted, in preparation).
Please limit your answer to 2,500 characters including spaces.

2. Describe in a short paragraph your educational and family background.
E.g., I grew up in New York City, as the 3rd child of a high school principal and homemaker. I attended Mann High School where my major interests were boxing and drama.
Please limit your answer to 600 characters including spaces.

3. Describe your reasons for pursuing medical scientist training in relation to your long-term career goals. Why are you applying to a combined degree program rather than graduate or medical school only?

4. Describe your current lab affiliation and the weekly time commitment required.
E.g., I am working in the Griffin lab where I performed research in the summer following junior year for 20 hours per week.

5. Describe any other research experiences you think would be relevant to the MSTP MD-PhD Admissions Committee decision.

6. Describe any patient-related, teaching, and service-oriented activities relevant to the MSTP MD-PhD Admissions Committee decision.

7. Describe any other aspect of your background you think would be relevant to the MSTP MD-PhD Admissions Committee decision.

They add this blurb before all these questions too to kind of justify why it's so long "A completed application to the MSTP MD-PhD includes a complete application to the Stanford MD Program and letters of recommendation. However, the following application materials will serve as the primary basis for initial evaluation by the MSTP MD-PhD Admissions Committee; therefore, much of the information will duplicate what was previously requested for your AMCAS application and/or the first part of the Stanford Supplementary Application. The admissions committee is especially interested in the depth and extent of your prior research experience, as well as your reasons for pursuing training as a physician-scientist."

I was verified 9 June (and thus transmitted 10 July) and have not yet received a secondary application. I’m hoping it’ll arrive sometime this week. MSAR says they send to “all eligible applicants,” which, to me, suggests they don’t screen.

I'm wondering about this to, so do they screen this year?

Can anyone who got a secondary fee waiver describe what that process is like? I've heard you have to email them, but I'm curious what additional information they want that FAP doesn't already convey. Also, how long did it take them to get back to you?

Can anyone who got a secondary fee waiver describe what that process is like? I've heard you have to email them, but I'm curious what additional information they want that FAP doesn't already convey. Also, how long did it take them to get back to you?

A $95 application fee, payable by credit card or AMCAS fee waiver, is required. Waiver of the application fee may be considered upon request based on demonstration of significant financial hardship. For waiver requests, email: [email protected] with the subject line of FEE WAIVER REQUEST.

They are saying that if you didn’t obtain Fap (but still have financial hardship) you can request a fee waiver.

Can someone help me with the MCAT Requirement section? I took my MCAT 7/7 (was delayed due to COVID) but the following options on the secondary do not give me options to list a summer MCAT score:

1. Do you have a valid MCAT score prior to or on March 14, 2020? Y/N [No because I got my score today 7/21]
Yes, and I do not plan to retake the MCAT exam
Yes, but I am planning to retake the MCAT exam
No [because just got my score back today 7/21/20]

2. Did you intend to but were unable to take a MCAT exam before submitting your Stanford Medicine application? Yes/No
I already took it 7/7 and now have score back
3. Are you currently registered for or intend to take the MCAT exam before September 30, 2020? Yes/No
No because I took it on 7/7
4. Do you wish to submit your final application for evaluation without a valid MCAT score from March 15 – September 30, 2020? Yes/No

Any other summer MCATers having this issue???

Can someone help me with the MCAT Requirement section? I took my MCAT 7/7 (was delayed due to COVID) but the following options on the secondary do not give me options to list a summer MCAT score:

1. Do you have a valid MCAT score prior to or on March 14, 2020? Y/N [No because I got my score today 7/21]
Yes, and I do not plan to retake the MCAT exam
Yes, but I am planning to retake the MCAT exam
No [because just got my score back today 7/21/20]

2. Did you intend to but were unable to take a MCAT exam before submitting your Stanford Medicine application? Yes/No
I already took it 7/7 and now have score back
3. Are you currently registered for or intend to take the MCAT exam before September 30, 2020? Yes/No
4. Do you wish to submit your final application for evaluation without a valid MCAT score from March 15 – September 30, 2020? Yes/No

Any other summer MCATers having this issue???
1. No
2. No because you were able to take the exam before submitting your application.
3. Yes because you did intend to take the MCAT before that date.
4. Yes/No depends on your personal preference.

For the ORCID ID, do they want us to fill out the entire ORCID profile or just list our publication(s)? I entered my previous degrees and publication, but I don't really want to enter my entire employment history, distinctions, membership history, etc. on a public site. Is it fine to just put the publication and call it a day?

Certain peer-reviewed journals use/assign authors an ORCID ID. If you are published in them, you would have one already as authors are required to have one. If you don't have one but still have peer-reviewed work in other journals, it is irrelevant for you and I would just go with listing them like normal! Hope this helps

It's like any other secondary with a fee waiver. The springtime of youth takes hold while you fill out the secondary, and the "payment" page is already checked because you have the fap fee waiver.

I haven't taken the MCAT yet. However, I am obviously applying to more schools than just Stanford. Can I opt to not have my MCAT viewed by Stanford at all (including final decisions)?

No. You could get an II, but you would not get accepted without an MCAT.

"In fairness to all applicants, the MCAT will not be part of the screening and initial review process for interview decisions."