2020-2021 Stanford

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Will more people get off the waitlist this year compared to previous years? Also for the pstp program will less people see movement off it? Feeling the pain moreso today :(

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Will more people get off the waitlist this year compared to previous years? Also for the pstp program will less people see movement off it? Feeling the pain moreso today :(
Nobody knows for sure. There's tons of speculation, but no definitive truth that we know of.

Reactions: 1 user
Probably not. This would only happen if the class size was made bigger.

What do you guys think it means if you interviewed in November, but have yet to hear back? (No WL or R email either...)

Attachments

• 1BD0903D-8F83-4214-B40E-C38DBBF20DEC.gif
    1BD0903D-8F83-4214-B40E-C38DBBF20DEC.gif
    1.8 MB · Views: 89
Members don't see this ad :)
for those who also got the waitlist, do we need to confirm our spot on the waitlist?

I'm in the same boat! Been almost a month since hearing from MD admissions but still nothing from the MSTP...
Maybe they are waiting on some candidates to receive the MD decision?? It still seems pretty late for them, though. I think some other non rolling schools are a little behind, too. The end of this week might be a little crazy.... but I have absolutely no idea when Stanford MSTP will release decisions at this point😬 manifesting that A for us all haha

• Care
Got. The. Call. Boys. WE MADE IT. Shaking. This was one of my top picks. Interviewed mid-December.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
I also just received the A call! So excited!!! (I interviewed mid December!)

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Congrats everyone!!
Getting slightly nervous now since January decisions are next I assume🙃

For folks who received As earlier in the cycle, have you received an email/portal update yet? I know they said it would take some time but curious to see if you have received anything yet!

Congrats to all those accepted! I missed a call from a SanFran # earlier this evening? Could any of you confirm if your call came from a SanFran #? I just want to sleep with some hope because no voicemail was left LOL

Congrats to all those accepted! I missed a call from a SanFran # earlier this evening? Could any of you confirm if your call came from a SanFran #? I just want to sleep with some hope because no voicemail was left LOL
The call came from palo alto , but I know for others there was no caller ID. I wish you the best :)) also, interviewed 12/11

Anyone know how many people/percent of the class go to venture capital, hedge funds, or consulting after getting an MD at Stanford? I know for sure a handful do. Lately, I've been thinking about those routes...

Hey guys! Stanford is a dream school of mine and wanted to ask if you guys think I have a realistic chance of getting in next cycle? I'm ORM

Cumulative: 3.86
Science: 3.77

Freshman: 3.57/3.4
Sophomore: 3.95/4.0
Senior: 4.0/4.0

MCAT: 521

*I graduated in three years with an upward trend as shown above*

Activities Summary:

Clinical Volunteering: 1,210 Hours
Non-Clinical Volunteering: 1,475 Hours
Shadowing: 247 Hours (Nephrology, Neurosurgery, General Surgery, Pediatrics)
Research: 4,720 Hours
3 Posters (All presented at national conferences)
*6 Publications (4 First Authors)*
Music Teacher (700+ Hours)

*I think my 6 publications with 4 first-author publications is my strong factor that can hopefully get me some interviews at the top 20s.*

Hey guys! Stanford is a dream school of mine and wanted to ask if you guys think I have a realistic chance of getting in next cycle? I'm ORM

Activities Summary:

*I think my 6 publications with 4 first-author publications is my strong factor that can hopefully get me some interviews at the top 20s.*
I see that Pitt, Cornell, and Hopkins are also your dream schools :) Ye you're probably fine

• Haha

Activities Summary:

You'll def get a few T20 interviews with this app. Great work!

Activities Summary:

was this all done in 3 years? thats like 50 hrs/wk on top of school, mcat

Anyone know how many people/percent of the class go to venture capital, hedge funds, or consulting after getting an MD at Stanford? I know for sure a handful do. Lately, I've been thinking about those routes...
This in my opinion is one of the stanford's greatest disadvantages. A large majority of its class is in it to get into business ventures without interest in practicing medicine. It's a haven for those that are in it for the money and prestige (as our friend so vehemently expressed), but can be irksome for those that would like to be in an environment with people who want to be actual physicians. Definitely consider who you're classmates will be when deciding.

This in my opinion is one of the stanford's greatest disadvantages. A large majority of its class is in it to get into business ventures without interest in practicing medicine. It's a haven for those that are in it for the money and prestige (as our friend so vehemently expressed), but can be irksome for those that would like to be in an environment with people who want to be actual physicians. Definitely consider who you're classmates will be when deciding.
So unfortunate. But I think all the top schools have this in common

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
So unfortunate. But I think all the top schools have this problem. You are always going to attract people worried about prestige and getting rich when you are a top tier medical school. I wish this wasn’t the case

Yes, that's definitely true that there's a self selection to prestigious schools and people who covet it for their ego. I think in Stanford's case, there is a self selection for those who pursue their MD program explicitly to further their business career and never to practice.

For me, I'd like to be In a cohort that's focused on patient care. I thought stanford knows about this and actively tried to reduce that by emphasizing more scientific research instead of industry, but I guess that's what happens when you're situated where it is and with its brand. Our friend's post reminds me that that mentality is still alive and well in those that it selects.

I'm here for Stanford's reputation in computational medicine! I'm sure that most of SMS's classes are in it to become real physicians, but a majority might be leaning towards academic medicine than at other schools.

Yes, that's definitely true that there's a self selection to prestigious schools and people who covet it for their ego. I think in Stanford's case, there is a self selection for those who pursue their MD program explicitly to further their business career and never to practice.

For me, I'd like to be In a cohort that's focused on patient care. I thought stanford knows about this and actively tried to reduce that by emphasizing more scientific research instead of industry, but I guess that's what happens when you're situated where it is and with its brand. Our friend's post reminds me that that mentality is still alive and well in those that it selects.
For the record, Stanford even asked in the application if you wanted to go to industry or clinical medicine. You saying they want to completely focus their class on clinical medicine is just wrong - having a diversity of thought and aspiration is in fact a positive quality. This is a kind of elitist attitude that I don't look forward to for my classmates there: 'only people who want to go directly into clinical practice are the people who deserve MDs.' I wonder why Stanford allows so much flexibility in its class schedule and requirements if all they wanted was for you to just be a clinical doctor? Why does Stanford encourage so many recruitment offers/entrepreneurial activities as part of the medical school? Medicine's applicability is so much more than just clinical practice. There is pure research and there is application in industry.

And please, again with the ego crap. No one in this thread has no ego or indifference to prestige. We all applied to Stanford and other top schools for a reason. Any accredited med school will help you become a practicing doctor in the US, so why did you waste your $200 applying here?

One thing to clarify is that even though our aspirations may be different, it doesn't make me less excited about medicine. If I really wanted, I could have gone to finance right out of undergrad. Putting 4 years of my life and 400k of debt on this is not something I'm doing just for the clout of saying I have an MD. I'm honestly more interested in clinical medicine, but I don't think there's anything wrong with exploring options and maybe gaining different and varied experiences in how an MD from Stanford can benefit my career. Also, there's nothing wrong with worrying about your compensation. It doesn't have to be the main thing, and if it is, you're in medicine for the wrong reasons; there are far easier and quicker routes to getting rich.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Care
Reactions: 7 users
wondering if anyone hear back yesterday... anyone from january interview hear back yet? thanks!

So what youre saying is you just want an echo chamber. Got it. Wouldn't want to irk you with a different viewpoint, dissenting opinion, or different aspiratons.
No what I'm saying is culture and values are important in choosing where and with whom you spend your time, especially through medical school. For example, some want to avoid a cut throat environment and gunners, that's completely valid. And then others want to avoid schools where there's a high percentage of people who are more interested in business ventures and profit than science and medicine, and that's also completely valid. The culture where a good number of Stanford medical students drop out or don't complete residency so they can launch their business career is not for everyone.

No what I'm saying is culture and values are important in choosing where and with whom you spend your time, especially through medical school. For example, some want to avoid a cut throat environment and gunners, that's completely valid. And then others want to avoid schools where there's a high percentage of people who are more interested in business ventures and profit than science and medicine, and that's also completely valid. The culture where a good number of Stanford medical students drop out or don't complete residency so they can launch their business career is not for everyone.
Do you have sources for how many Stanford med students don’t finish their MD or residency in pursuit of business ventures ?

Do you have sources for how many Stanford med students don’t finish their MD or residency in pursuit of business ventures ?

These articles have the numbers I think, but I don't know how they arrived at them.

I've had exposure to industry and understand its allure and have many friends in finance, VC, tech, consulting, etc. I get it. But I left it to apply to medical school, and so seeing applicants post Going to Venture Capital, Consulting, or Pharma after med school? just reminds me that the culture of silicon valley pervades everything there, including its medical schools and students. If you're into that kind of thing like I was, it can be great. But if you're not, it's a good thing to know going in.

These articles have the numbers I think, but I don't know how they arrived at them.

I've had exposure to industry and understand its allure and have many friends in finance, VC, tech, consulting, etc. I get it. But I left it to apply to medical school, and so seeing applicants post Going to Venture Capital, Consulting, or Pharma after med school? just reminds me that the culture of silicon valley pervades everything there, including its medical schools and students. If you're into that kind of thing like I was, it can be great. But if you're not, it's a good thing to know going in.
This is interesting to know. Thanks for the citations.

Reactions: 2 users