2020-2021 Stanford

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is anyone leaving the final optional question blank? If not, which direction are you taking to answer it? Not sure what's worthy enough to add beyond the diversity essay lol

"Please include anything else that will help us understand better how you may uniquely contribute to Stanford Medicine?"

I just further emphasized some experiences/qualities from my journey that I thought highly aligned with Stanford's mission. Although I don't think I took up all the characters given to us
 
I just read an article on this year's increase in med school apps in the WSJ and saw this tidbit: "Stanford is reporting an increase of more than 50% in its applications, with most submitting MCAT scores, said Iris Gibbs, associate dean at the school."

I knew apps were going up, but a 50+% increase in one year is huge! This also could help explain the delay in sending out IIs, as that's a lot of applications to get through.

I guess that's what they wanted when they loosed the MCAT requirements. Hope they know what they're doing....
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know how we can get out of the knight Hennessey if we indicated that we are intending to apply? Also would it look bad? I suddenly got hit with a bunch of stuff and I dont have time to complete and submit their application anymore
 
Does anyone know how we can get out of the knight Hennessey if we indicated that we are intending to apply? Also would it look bad? I suddenly got hit with a bunch of stuff and I dont have time to complete and submit their application anymore

I think that you just don't apply even if you indicated your intent to. Someone earlier in the thread said that when they were applying, they indicated their intent to apply and then just didn't submit the Knight-Hennessey app and they still were accepted to Stanford
 
Which one would be for a pediatrician practicing in a hospital?

The below thread answered this question well.


"Physician-scientist generally has time split between lab and clinic and the split might be 80-20 or 90-10 depending on one's funding.

Physician-scientists are generally a subset of physicians in academic medicine. When we say "academic medicine" we mean that you are on the payroll of a medical school or the med school's affiliated clinical entity rather than being in a for-profit group practice, working for a non-med school affiliated hospital, or having a solo office (very rare these days). Many physicians in academic medicine are paid almost exclusively out of money they bring in through clinical care of patients. They may have some money coming in for work done with research participants (if the reason for the visit is protocol driven, it may not be covered by insurance and therefore the study sponsor - often big pharma- will pay something equivalent given that time you would otherwise spend treating patients is being used to collect data from a research participant who may also be your patient). Some physicians in academic medicine have small research grants and some have some salary support for administrative tasks related to education (assessing medical students in a clerkship) or the department more broadly (e.g. budgets, space, and hiring of new members of the department). Most are also expected to do what the medical school considers "good citizenship" by participating without compensation in committee work or being engaged in interviewing candidates for med school, residency or fellowship, or spending a dozen hours per year in the classroom or at the bedside as a small group leader. "
 
Does anyone know if PSTP at Stanford is the same as their MD + In-Depth Research Experience pathway? I can't really find any info connecting the two on their website.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My individual secondary app was due by Oct 22nd as well but the overall deadline on their site says November 5 so I was confused about that too. Maybe they give you a certain amount of time complete it based on the time you receive it.
 
My friend at Stanford told me they were told MSTP first II was gonna be in mid October so around one more week? Hopefully it's on a similar timeline for regular MD as well? unless any MSTP has had an II already
 
On their website it says "July - February: Applications are reviewed and invitations to interview are sent"

I was wondering if anyone had heard back.
Pretty sure no II have been sent out. A couple friends have told me that they are finalizing their virtual interview process so they might be sending invitations soon.
 
Pretty sure no II have been sent out. A couple friends have told me that they are finalizing their virtual interview process so they might be sending invitations soon.
Any insight if it’ll be like WashU’s or essentially just a Zoom interface?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks everyone! A spot for 10/30 actually just opened up, so see you all then! And I was complete 7/29!
 
Can someone please better explain how this interview process is supposed to go? I'm reading they do only MMI some places but the email says both traditional and MMI? Like half the day dedicated to each one?
 
Can someone please better explain how this interview process is supposed to go? I'm reading they do only MMI some places but the email says both traditional and MMI? Like half the day dedicated to each one?
likely you will spend half a day on standard MMI format virtual stations, and then will have one or two traditional interviews at the end of the day?
 
Can someone please better explain how this interview process is supposed to go? I'm reading they do only MMI some places but the email says both traditional and MMI? Like half the day dedicated to each one?
From what I understand, this year, the are scrapping the MMI. The VITA is standing in as an MMI substitute and all we are going to have is a traditional interview