2020-2021 Stanford

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I do not believe that this is true. If you look at the Interview Invite Tracker from past cycles, you will find people that have submission dates in July who receive II as late as December, in years where Stanford sent out II starting in late August, rather than October for this cycle (even more of a reason not to worry about submission date).

I know current Stanford MD students who had II in December and Interviews in late January. The best indicator of an R for Stanford is simply completing an application for their MD program. This year (with +50% growth in the number of applications for the same number of seats) the "did I submit a secondary at Stanford" and "Did I receive an R from Stanford" will correlate 99% of the time. Try not to get wrapped up in worrying about submission dates and stuff. Y'all got this!

I'm not an applicant in this cycle, but I work here at Stanford SOM (In research, not admissions). Feel free to reach out about stuff within the SOM, especially those who have interviews and want more info about the school

Thank you for clarifying that. Great to hear what I said isn't the case. Maybe this is getting too into the details, but I was wondering for those current Stanford MD students who had II in December, did they apply late or relatively early (July/August). Just wondering because I don't know if they had a late interview due to late secondary submission or if Stanford doesn't review apps chronologically. Thanks!
 
Thank you for clarifying that. Great to hear what I said isn't the case. Maybe this is getting too into the details, but I was wondering for those current Stanford MD students who had II in December, did they apply late or relatively early (July/August). Just wondering because I don't know if they had a late interview due to late secondary submission or if Stanford doesn't review apps chronologically. Thanks!

I think you should probably just chill...

#1 Stanford just started sending II for MD like 2 weeks ago
#2 This cycle is very different from last year's cycle with significant delays from the pandemic so its not a great comparison to previous years
#3 There probably aren't many current MS1's who would still be checking this thread
#4 I'm assuming you have already submitted your secondary and there's really not much you can do now to change your submission date..
 
Thank you for clarifying that. Great to hear what I said isn't the case. Maybe this is getting too into the details, but I was wondering for those current Stanford MD students who had II in December, did they apply late or relatively early (July/August). Just wondering because I don't know if they had a late interview due to late secondary submission or if Stanford doesn't review apps chronologically. Thanks!


With respect to the specific people I was referring to, they were complete early in the cycle.

I think you may misunderstand what leads to students being offered interviews later in the cycle. If you look at schools that publish data (Michigan) you will notice that the vast majority of students who are offered interviews at any point in the cycle are the ones who are complete in July/August. This is when most people submit their applications. And yet, for many schools, II are sent out all the way into January/February.

Most medical schools tier applicants. If you are put into a secondary pile, you will be re-reviewed later in the cycle when they have run out of students in the primary pile to invite. Because of this fact, it doesn't really matter if Stanford reviews applications chronologically or not.

There is a good chance that Stanford has read most of the applications at this point, however, committees need to meet in order to decide who will be invited to interview. This will take time and has very little to do with your submission date. Unless you have insider information from the admissions committee that says they rank students and then review chronologically (which, again, is contradicted by past data) there is no reason to believe this is true. Also, as stated above, it does not really matter. Either you will receive an II or you won't.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats! Had you already completed VITA beforehand?

Thank you! Yes, I had already completed it for another school. But I received an update email a few days ago that said Stanford had requested me to complete the VITA as well. Based on the info I received today, the VITA is supplementary to the 1:1 interview. I think the VITA will function as sort of an MMI in addition to the 1:1
 
II this morning as well! I did VITA a while back when I first submitted apps in July-August-ish for another school if anyone's wondering (received an update from VITA 5 days ago that Stanford had been added to my VITA "list"). For anyone else with II though, are you seeing no slots available on the scheduling calendar? Sent them an email about it but I can't sign up for any day rn :/
 
II this morning as well! I did VITA a while back when I first submitted apps in July-August-ish for another school if anyone's wondering (received an update from VITA 5 days ago that Stanford had been added to my VITA "list"). For anyone else with II though, are you seeing no slots available on the scheduling calendar? Sent them an email about it but I can't sign up for any day rn :/

Yes, I'm having the same issue! I can't see any available interview dates on the calendar. I emailed them earlier today too, but no response yet. Hopefully they will fix it soon
 
II received this morning! I also received the AAMC VITA email a few days ago, so perhaps that was some early good news 🙂

I got the vita invite from stanford last week but did not get an ii yet. For me, stanford was the first school to request a vita. This makes me wonder if they actually screened the VITAs to give out these iis, since it seems like these iis came a couple days after the VITA was first accessed by stanford
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So no MMI then? I think someone theorized that VITA would replace it essentially, was wondering if you could confirm that?

"
Due to COVID-19, for the 2021 MD Application cycle, interviews will be virtual. Stanford Medicine will continue to use a multiple assessment interview methodology.

The Multiple Assessment Interview process consists of the AAMC VITA interview and a traditional interview held virtually. A separate email with video conferencing information will be sent to you prior to your 1:1 traditional interview." (from "About MMI" page on Stanford portal)

A little confusing because they keep using 'traditional interview' alongside saying they're sticking to their MMI (here and a few other times). Not really sure what to make of it, but I think what people are saying about VITA counting as the MMI portion makes sense.
 
The Multiple Assessment Interview process consists of the AAMC VITA interview and a traditional interview held virtually. A separate email with video conferencing information will be sent to you prior to your 1:1 traditional interview." (from "About MMI" page on Stanford portal)

A little confusing because they keep using 'traditional interview' alongside saying they're sticking to their MMI (here and a few ot

So are we sure that getting an AAMC VITA invite implies that you are definitely getting an II at some point?
 
Hi everyone! Does anyone know if the interview format is MMI + 1:1 or is it only 1:1 and vita completely takes over the mmi?
 
Did anyone do their interview yet? If so, what was the schedule like? Was it just one interview?
 
They just updated to reflect 11/5 for both pages! That's also the new date on their website too. Guess they did push it back.
Awesome! The issue is that for some reason now that 10/22 is past, I can't seem to edit my application LOL it says that the page is closed
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Page closed before you "submitted" and before the official deadline? You should call them
Yea for some reason it's closed before I submitted :\ I emailed and called but people are obviously not really manning the phone lines. Hopefully they'll email back soon!
 
Hello everyone
What do you do after completing your secondary? Just wait?
tenor.gif
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad