2020-2021 Stony Brook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Stony Brook University

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
IS received

(Please limit your responses to 500 words per question)
Will your education be continuous between college and medical school matriculation?
If NO,please explain what you have done or plan to do during the gap period and why.
If YES, please tell us about your proudest accomplishment to date.

Describe an obstacle you've overcome and how it has defined you:

Reactions: 1 user
They mentioned that they do not accept transcripts from AMCAS. Does that mean we have to send them directly to Stony Brook?

Never heard that one before. Why would a school participate in AMCAS and not accept transcripts from AMCAS?

They mentioned that they do not accept transcripts from AMCAS. Does that mean we have to send them directly to Stony Brook?
No, not yet.

From their FAQ website:
"Should I send my transcripts as part of the application process?
No. We receive your official grades through AMCAS and there is no need to send us your transcripts directly. However, be sure that your official transcripts are sent to AMCAS within their deadline (their web site is www.aamc.org) Transcripts are required only if you are accepted to the entering class."

My CASPER in the only one that marked as incomplete...

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you guys use the entire 500 word limit? I'm finding that I've answered the prompt with 200-300. That an issue?

It says they have not received my MCAT score in the secondary portal. How do I go about submitting that?

It says they have not received my MCAT score in the secondary portal. How do I go about submitting that?
Your MCAT is linked to your AAMC profile. So if you've taken the MCAT and your primary is verified, it will automatically send to all added schools on the primary application.

Your MCAT is linked to your AAMC profile. So if you've taken the MCAT and your primary is verified, it will automatically send to all added schools on the primary application.
Thank you. They updated it to say received.

"A letter of evaluation from the applicant's premedical adviser is also required"

I just read the supplemental app though and it says premedical committee...so maybe they just made a mistake on the webstie

Reactions: 2 users
Hey all, should I answer "NO" to this question if I'm getting a grad degree this year? "Will your education be continuous between college and medical school matriculation?"

Or is this "YES" because technically I've been in school straight since undergrad?

Hey all, should I answer "NO" to this question if I'm getting a grad degree this year? "Will your education be continuous between college and medical school matriculation?"

Or is this "YES" because technically I've been in school straight since undergrad?
I put "no" since I graduated from my grad program in Jan 2020 and they ask you to specify what you're doing in the meantime. They're likely asking for "gap periods" which are mostly for those that aren't in classes of any type, so you should put "no" as long as you put that you're in school on amcas.

II received. Complete 7/15. In-state. 3.98 GPA, 516 MCAT. Earliest date is 9/21. Best of luck.

Reactions: 7 users
II to their MSTP!!! Complete 8/8, ORM OOS, LM 71.

Congratulations! I’m hoping for one myself. If I may, how much prior research experience did you?

I have about 3000 hours of research experience in one lab continuously throughout my undergraduate career (currently taking one gap year at the same lab). I have 1 publication in press, 1 in pre-print and is currently being submitted to a journal, in both I am second author. Nothing else besides that! I have one poster and gave two talks but these were all in minor situations / more informal conferences.

I was always sort of nervous because I have only been in one lab throughout my research career and felt like other applicants had a much more diverse research portfolio than I did. But I really liked and believed in the research so I stuck with it!

I have about 3000 hours of research experience in one lab continuously throughout my undergraduate career (currently taking one gap year at the same lab). I have 1 publication in press, 1 in pre-print and is currently being submitted to a journal, in both I am second author. Nothing else besides that! I have one poster and gave two talks but these were all in minor situations / more informal conferences.

I was always sort of nervous because I have only been in one lab throughout my research career and felt like other applicants had a much more diverse research portfolio than I did. But I really liked and believed in the research so I stuck with it!
Honestly, that’s awesome. I have a much more diverse research profile, but I think they really like to see that you’ve found your niche and have committed to it even more than diverse experiences! Best of luck in your upcoming interview!

• Love
M! S! T! P! I! I!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
II!! Complete 7/15, OOS, ORM, LM 73

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Honestly, that’s awesome. I have a much more diverse research profile, but I think they really like to see that you’ve found your niche and have committed to it even more than diverse experiences! Best of luck in your upcoming interview!

Thanks, wishing you the best of luck as well!

Also @neurofanatic213 I've seen things the other way around as well, where schools have appreciated highly diverse research profiles :) I definitely fall in the middle of you and @ilikekinase1 (hey do u like kinase LOL sorry I couldn't resist also bc I'm doing a literature search and one of my tabs is an excel sheet of kinase genes), so keep ya chin up! The spotlight is coming, baybeeeee ;););)

• Haha
Also @neurofanatic213 I've seen things the other way around as well, where schools have appreciated highly diverse research profiles :) I definitely fall in the middle of you and @ilikekinase1 (hey do u like kinase LOL sorry I couldn't resist also bc I'm doing a literature search and one of my tabs is an excel sheet of kinase genes), so keep ya chin up! The spotlight is coming, baybeeeee ;););)
Really hope you’re right! Thanks for the words of encouragement! Honestly been feeling pretty down lately seeing all the II’s and an empty inbox of my own, but this is why I need to get off of SDN...

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Really hope you’re right! Thanks for the words of encouragement! Honestly been feeling pretty down lately seeing all the II’s and an empty inbox of my own, but this is why I need to get off of SDN...

We all believe in you!!!!!! <3 <3 <3 Yeah, definitely take some time off from here (I think Fencer said don't check more than once per week) and focus on doing things you enjoy--that's also what our gap years are for!

Reactions: 3 users
M1 here. Feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions - I know the cycle is very different this year but hang in there :)