2020-2021 Stony Brook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Withdrew from the HPWL yesterday!

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
For current students: what is the cutoff for the honors grade in the preclinical years and does the school do internal rankings?

Was just accepted off the HPWL today!

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I really hope they dip into that regular WL :( it's already June 3rd but I also feel like they've had a lot of movement post April 30th

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
I really hope they dip into that regular WL :( it's already June 3rd but I also feel like they've had a lot of movement post April 30th
Me too, but I doubt it. I’m sitting on three “ high priority waitlists” elsewhere and nada. This cycle is just something else.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys, first post here~!

I just checked my email and it states that regular wait list movement begins late Spring. Let's keep praying for movement off the wait list. Fingers crossed!

Just to keep things real, I'm on the HPWL and haven't heard from SB since being put on it in April.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just emailed them today and they basically gave no new information, besides waitlist movement having started and that the waitlist is confidential. Does anyone know the CTE deadline? Maybe there will be more movement closer to that date.

• Okay...
Reactions: 1 users
Just emailed them today and they basically gave no new information, besides waitlist movement having started and that the waitlist is confidential. Does anyone know the CTE deadline? Maybe there will be more movement closer to that date.
I’ve been trying to find a CTE deadline for all medical schools and haven’t been successful yet.

Just got rejected off of regular waitlist.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Spoke to a Dean earlier today. I was told that the class is currently full and that there is no movement as of now😬

Last edited:
  • Sad
was accepted into their masters in biophysics today in association with AMSNY, with guaranteed acceptance to next years class :)

Just got rejected off of regular waitlist.
I know it's not what you hoped for. But I think it's good to get closure especially after waiting for so long. Hopefully we will all get the final decisions soon. It would be helpful for me to know soon before I begin submitting re-applications.

Good morning - I spoke to the admissions office briefly yesterday. They mentioned the CTE date is June 18th!
Wow, I thought it was in July… did they say anything about the class still being full?

What residencies were available for the 3 year MD program this year?

Withdrew app today :( Really liked the environment at Stony Brook and all that the school had to offer, but, after 14 weeks of waiting for an interview response (unfortunately still haven't heard back), decided to pull the plug and finally hit CTE at another amazing school :)

Wishing the absolute best to everyone who's gotten in or waiting to hear back! Especially for those folks still in flux or even considering reapplying, please don't give up that dream and drive you came in with! This has been such a difficult year, and I have all the faith that we'll all be colleagues once everything comes to a rest :) The push is so so worth it, and I can't wait for everyone out there to be living this dream.

Note to any future applicant lurking on this thread: If you find yourself waiting over 8 weeks for an interview response, I would go ahead and shoot the AdCom an email checking in about the status (unless the AdCom specifically objects to that)! Definitely wish I had this cycle. Even if the AdCom gives the same general response to all who ask, sending an email still shows that you're strongly interested in hearing back and gives the AdCom an incentive to reply to you sooner... This seemed to work for quite a few people this cycle!

Last edited:
Should we be expecting any formal rejection or notification that their class is full?

Hi everyone! I hope y'all have found success during this difficult application cycle. I'm a first year med student interested in transferring to stony brook. Has anyone heard anything about stony's transfer process? I know the school has a brief webpage on their website about this stuff but it doesn't say much.

How long was y'alls interview last cycle? Just got one for 21-22 and need to put in PTO so was wondering how long I may have to take off. Thank you!
I'm surprised there isn't a thread for 2021-2022. Is there a reason for that?