2020-2021 Tufts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What was the first question again?
Do you wish to include any comments (in addition to those already provided in your AMCAS application) to the Admissions Committee at Tufts University School of Medicine?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Oh right! I used this as a “Why our school essay”. Just told them my connections to their school and explained to them why I am a good fit for them

Reactions: 2 users
For the prereqs, did you guys only list the minimum number of courses asked for. Like for the first bio section, do we only list the first two bio classes we took? Or for physics, I'm assuming most people take physics 1 and 2 with the labs. Did you guys only list the first semester of physics you took?

Members don't see this ad :)
For the prereqs, did you guys only list the minimum number of courses asked for. Like for the first bio section, do we only list the first two bio classes we took? Or for physics, I'm assuming most people take physics 1 and 2 with the labs. Did you guys only list the first semester of physics you took?
Yeah I listed the minimum

It specifically states to list only the minimum coursework that fulfills the prereqs as one of the bullet points when entering that information.

Those that didn't take a statistics course, how are you fulfilling this competency? or if you used research, how did you explain it?

Those that didn't take a statistics course, how are you fulfilling this competency? or if you used research, how did you explain it?

I talked about my research and how I used it in my projects. I also am planning to take a stats class this semester and I mentioned that as well.

Last edited:
When should we expect to receive interview invitations?

When should we expect to receive interview invitations?
It looks like Tufts usually starts sending them out in late August at the earliest. Could be pushed back a little this cycle.

Does anyone know if it is too late for me to send Tufts my primary? I have a 510 mcat and 3.98 GPA so not super competitive so I was wondering if I should add Tufts?

Does anyone know if it is too late for me to send Tufts my primary? I have a 510 mcat and 3.98 GPA so not super competitive so I was wondering if I should add Tufts?

Its never too late to apply to a school you strongly desire.

AMCAS still hasn't even gotten to app submitted prior to July 10th, so technically you will early.

I wasn't complete at a lot of schools last cycle until October and still landed 4 MD interviews.

Reactions: 1 users
I wasn't complete at a lot of schools last cycle until October and still landed 4 MD interviews.

If you don't mind me asking, what do you think held you back from an acceptance? I always heard that getting at least 3 interviews was pretty safe. (Asking as a reapp who only got one interview)

Members don't see this ad :)

You’re pretty competitive.....

Reactions: 5 users
Its never too late to apply to a school you strongly desire.

AMCAS still hasn't even gotten to app submitted prior to July 10th, so technically you will early.

Wow! That's great news! Thank you!

You just made my day
You are competitive. Don't sell yourself short or waste time comparing yourself to other people. Every applicant is unique and if you're applying to schools where you would be both a good fit for the school (academically, learning style, socially, etc.) and you could contribute something to the school - they'll take notice.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
For the first prompt:
"Do you wish to include any comments (in addition to those already provided in your AMCAS application) to the Admissions Committee at Tufts University School of Medicine? (1000 ch)"

Should I talk about a bad semester I had or how I would be a good fit for the school?

If you don't mind me asking, what do you think held you back from an acceptance? I always heard that getting at least 3 interviews was pretty safe. (Asking as a reapp who only got one interview)

From personal reflection and feedback from admissions, my late date of completion (October) coupled with sub-par MCAT (<500) still puts me in a position post-interview to compete for less seats in the entering class.

Since my interviews were in Jan, I did not get decisions until Mid March which resulted in WL's positions. From there on, AMCAS (and internal) commitment to enroll dates its just the waiting game and seeing if it works in your favor for a spot to open up (some schools rank you, others dont).

But I continued to follow-up and send updates as well as keep in touch. So I hope this year it works in my favor (as well as for many of you). We are all well-deserving (and -earning), its just a matter of patience and resilience.

Hi! Anyone know if you're reviewed for regular MD before submitting the MD/MPH portion? Does waiting a few more weeks to submit that mean my app will be held off somewhere?

Hi! Anyone know if you're reviewed for regular MD before submitting the MD/MPH portion? Does waiting a few more weeks to submit that mean my app will be held off somewhere?
Applied for MD/MPH as well. From my understanding, your MD app is reviewed first and you’ll be evaluated solely on MD app. If you’re accepted, then it goes to the MPH program for evaluation. Ie it won’t delay your secondary being complete

Applied for MD/MPH as well. From my understanding, your MD app is reviewed first and you’ll be evaluated solely on MD app. If you’re accepted, then it goes to the MPH program for evaluation. Ie it won’t delay your secondary being complete
Thank you!!

hi y’all! Tufts would definitely be the dream, and I’m curious your thoughts on stats:

In state, 3.83 cGPA, 3.73 sGPA, 513 MCAT

hi y’all! Tufts would definitely be the dream, and I’m curious your thoughts on stats:

In state, 3.83 cGPA, 3.73 sGPA, 513 MCAT

i’m very similar to you (3.9x/511) and i think we’re competitive for it

Does anyone know if the coursework section is exclusive to undergrad courses only? I'm debating if I should list post-bac or graduate courses for Biology's "Full year of introductory or advanced biology coursework." Likewise, for math or stats, I took stats in both undergrad and grad.

For the first prompt:
"Do you wish to include any comments (in addition to those already provided in your AMCAS application) to the Admissions Committee at Tufts University School of Medicine? (1000 ch)"

Should I talk about a bad semester I had or how I would be a good fit for the school?
talk about both if possible, talk about what you learned from your bad semester and how that helps you fit the school

Hey, guys! I submitted everything but there’s a red mark next to my LORs even though all 5 of them are marked received. Has anyone had this problem??

i think so. are you already thinking of sending some?

I just accepted a new position for a COVID-19 related job that I think schools would find really interesting so I’m considering informing them about it. Might wait to see if I have any other updates to add soon, but not sure if I will since I’ve already graduated and won’t have grade updates or anything.

I just accepted a new position for a COVID-19 related job that I think schools would find really interesting so I’m considering informing them about it. Might wait to see if I have any other updates to add soon, but not sure if I will since I’ve already graduated and won’t have grade updates or anything.
I've been advised to give it a few weeks/months of a new positions to give updates, because you won't have much meaningful to say about it since you're just starting.

Reactions: 3 users
Hi all. Just wanted to share the following to see if there is anyone else on the same boat and/or if you neurotic AF like me to see how long before we hear back on potential II.

AMCAS submitted 7/1.
Tufts added to primary 7/26.
AMCAS verified 8/12.
Secondary submitted 8/18/2020.

Does applying to the MD/MPH program mean you will only be considered for the MD/MPH program or will you be considered for MD program as well?

Does applying to the MD/MPH program mean you will only be considered for the MD/MPH program or will you be considered for MD program as well?

Nope they only review your MD/MPH after you’re accepted into regular MD first

Submitted today/complete today. Let the games begin!

Congrats! LESSSSSSSS GET THIS BREADDDDD!!!!

And to piggyback off this, no one has gotten an II to Tufts yet right?

I don't think anyone has gotten an II yet.

I wonder how long all these schools are waiting until they send out their first wave of II's. A lot of schools sent their first II's 3-4+ weeks ago last time this year.

I think schools are at least 3-4 weeks behind this year, due to AMCAS and Covid19 haha

it says Tufts doesnt accept AP credit for BIO, but i used AP credit for BIO 1 in college. should i list an advanced level bio instead? or does this mean i cant apply to tufts lol
I listed advanced courses to demonstrate that I have the biology competency covered.

Given how the COVID-19 pandemic has altered the world this year, please contextualize how your experiences have been affected which might include your personal, professional and educational journey.

Do you guys think they're looking for a reflection here? Or can I just say that my shadowing got cut short and my teaching responsibilities were transitioned to an online format
I am also wondering about this. I didn't have any significant impact on my app, but I can def just mention what was suspended. Or, I could talk about how I saw it hit my hometown/working with COVID patients etc. I don't really have room for both, though, and I can't figure out what they're looking for.

Hi all. Just wanted to share the following to see if there is anyone else on the same boat and/or if you neurotic AF like me to see how long before we hear back on potential II.

AMCAS submitted 7/1.
AMCAS verified 8/12.

Yep I'm pretty much in the same boat:

AMCAS submitted 6/2 (w/Tufts added already)
Secondary submitted 7/29 (I received the secondary prior to AMCAS verifying my app.)
AMCAS verified 8/13
MD/MPH app submitted 8/18

I haven't received any additional communication since then. We shall see what unfolds.(!)

Yep I'm pretty much in the same boat:

AMCAS submitted 6/2 (w/Tufts added already)
Secondary submitted 7/29 (I received the secondary prior to AMCAS verifying my app.)
AMCAS verified 8/13
MD/MPH app submitted 8/18

I haven't received any additional communication since then. We shall see what unfolds.(!)

Good look. Keep me updated. I dont think they have started giving out any interviews yet, which is good cause it makes me less neurotic lol.

Good look. Keep me updated. I dont think they have started giving out any interviews yet, which is good cause it makes me less neurotic lol.
In the "Secondary Application Complete" email, they say this "Selected applicants will be invited to interview between September and March.", so hopefully they will begin rolling in soon.

AMCAS submitted 7/1.
AMCAS verified 8/12.

Did you get an email marking your secondary complete? I got the secondary 7/17, submitted for the MSTP 8/3, and got my secondary complete email same day (8/3).

Looks like at least for their MD-PhD, interviews don't start until Nov 10; not sure when they started last year, but I think things are definitely delayed by 2+ weeks across admissions.