2020-2021 UCLA (Geffen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Whoah, just a received a secondary and I'm honestly suprised. Out of curiosity, had anyone received an R yet?

I'm interested in PRIME-LA but I can't seem to find concrete info on the difference between Westwood and Drew, so I'm not sure if I should apply to one or both. Anyone know where to find this info??

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary received this morning. Non-Canadian international with a 513 MCAT if that helps anyone else.

Can i hear somebodies character count for the paid work experience entries? I'm inputting something exactly at the 4,000 mark and its not letting me submit it.

For the second prompt, would a hobby suffice as a "creative activity?"

So in this case would we still select "no"? Or can we select yes for the years of spanish prior to college?
i think as long as the credit is on your transcript you should be fine to select yes. im going to have to say no despite 4 years of spanish in hs (including ap) because my college didn't give me credit. so. thats fun :rolleyes:

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
For the "what has been your most scholarly project" question. I haven't done research, so would I leave it blank?

I wouldn’t leave it blank. My understanding was that unless it was stated that a prompt is optional, you’re expected to answer it. Also scholarly project doesn’t have to be research! Take some time to think about the activities you’ve done and which ones could be classified as scholarly :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary received at 5am ET this morning (finally! yay!); OOS

IS secondary received this morning. Verified early but submitted my app just yesterday due to pending MCAT score.

Just to make sure: For the Spanish competency, they're looking for college coursework or AP credit in Spanish? Not high school coursework (non-AP) or experience with using Spanish in volunteer/work settings?

There is no Spanish requirement, it is a recommendation

In previous years, there was a requirement but this is no longer the case.

Reactions: 2 users
Correct
Can confirm this after attending the virtual office hour earlier this morning.
Adcom said it was a requirement in previous years but is not required for 2020-2021 cycle.

Also, they said any form of competency would work for Spanish. For example, if you spoke Spanish in your household growing up, that counts.
Adcom said it does not specify the LEVEL of competency (novice vs. ~native/fluent) and does not need to be a FORMAL course.
So would it hurt me if I selected "no" for this competency? I just took one class in Spanish and wasn't a year.

secondary received OOS. what is the screen for UCLA?

For their 1 year English requirement, do you think that they want English or Humanities classes? My school had no English requirement and doesn't accept any AP credit for Lit or Lang so I'm kind of gonna have to say no here otherwise :(

Is relearning Japanese (not for a class) considered a non-academic activity?

So I used to speak Japanese when I was really young, but then events happened and I stopped speaking it for a few years and I'm currently slowly relearning it on my own and working with my mom. However, I did take 1 Japanese class in college, so I don't know if it's considered an academic activity? Thanks!

Is Spanish mandatory in order to apply?
I think it's pretty strongly preferred. They're the only school I've seen that specifically listed Spanish in their selection factors on MSAR.
I'm wondering the same thing... I don't see it listed on their competencies (Competencies - David Geffen School of Medicine - Los Angeles, CA) so I'm unsure.
FYI, I was admitted with zero Spanish language experience/knowledge (took a different language in high school / college). YMMV.

Reactions: 5 users
Anyone have any tips on the debt question that UCLA asks for secondaries? I'm worried they will think I have too much debt (I have roughly around 30k in consumer and educational debt).

Anyone have any tips on the debt question that UCLA asks for secondaries? I'm worried they will think I have too much debt (I have roughly around 30k in consumer and educational debt).
I mean, I think the only thing you can do is be honest. There's not really any "tips." Plenty of people have educational debt these days - I doubt it plays any significant role in admissions.

Is UCLA one of the schools with the most thorough pre-screens?
Would UCSF be on a similar tier?
Any non-UC schools that are known to be very strict on screening pre-secondaries?

Is UCLA one of the schools with the most thorough pre-screens?
Would UCSF be on a similar tier?
Any non-UC schools that are known to be very strict on screening pre-secondaries?

I think Vanderbilt up there as well...

Anyone care to speculate how stringent the pre-screen was for secondaries this year? MCAT test date falls outside their accepted dates but still received a secondary. Geffen is high up there for me, but it would suck to pay for the secondary only to get auto-rejected b/c of my MCAT date. Waiting for an official answer from them by email.

Would the "non-academic activity" in #1 exclude clubs/organizations affiliated with your school?

Anyone care to speculate how stringent the pre-screen was for secondaries this year? MCAT test date falls outside their accepted dates but still received a secondary. Geffen is high up there for me, but it would suck to pay for the secondary only to get auto-rejected b/c of my MCAT date. Waiting for an official answer from them by email.

No idea, but I still haven’t received a secondary (was transmitted 10 July), so I’m beginning to think I won’t receive one.

I'm also confused by the pre-screening for secondaries--I just read online that they increased their MCAT cutoff to 512, but I received a secondary immediately with my 509 MCAT? Is it even worth completing the secondary?

I'm also confused by the pre-screening for secondaries--I just read online that they increased their MCAT cutoff to 512, but I received a secondary immediately with my 509 MCAT? Is it even worth completing the secondary?
It’s likely that the cutoff was proposed and either declined or postponed when brought up to the committee/administrators/wealthy old people.

How are people doing the work experiences descriptions? I find it odd that they give 4000 characters here and so little for the rest of the prompts, especially since it seems like they're just asking for a list... Are you guys writing stories and using all the character counts, or just using short descriptions??

Would the "non-academic activity" in #1 exclude clubs/organizations affiliated with your school?
I think that's fine as long as it's not like research or something

For the paid work experiences, how long should the descriptions be? Should they really be 4000 characters?

Is anyone having trouble with uploading documents on the portal? I am trying to upload pdf files but error message is showing up saying it's not in pdf format ...

Just received a secondary this morning, transmitted 7/26 (yesterday)! OOS, 514, 3.75 cGPA, 3.52 sGPA, URM

Does UCLA actually screen? I added the school last night. LM69. OOS. I got the secondary today?

Does UCLA actually screen? I added the school last night. LM69. OOS. I got the secondary today?

Also wondering this. Verified on 07/17 somewhere after midnight and received secondary by 8/9 AM. Had them added since I submitted however so thought they might’ve sorted screening before verification? Not sure if that’s a thing.

From these posts, looks like they're not screening at least manually.

Well, I’ve not gotten a secondary, and I transmitted 10 July. LizzyM 81.6.

Anyone else from Texas not receive a secondary?

Well, I’ve not gotten a secondary, and I transmitted 10 July. LizzyM 81.6.

Anyone else from Texas not receive a secondary?
Well so this is the weird thing I noticed. My primary was verified very early. But I was getting apps for schools I already listed in waves and kinda slowly. But for the ones I added right after my MCAT score release(Not really a competitive MCAT score), they immediately came in the next day unless they were doing manual screening

When I check my transcript status on the portal, it says the name of my undergrad but nothing under status or date received. Anyone else having this same problem?

I have an IA and have not received a secondary. Was verified mid-late June
Same, but verified 6/4. Wondering if/when I should email them, given the posts from last year's thread about IAs

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users