2020-2021 UCLA (Geffen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Should we include our gap year job if we haven't started it yet under "Please list any major paid work experience during or since college"?

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but my portal says that my letter requirement has been met and my application is complete, but when I go to check the Document Status tab none of the letters show up there, has that happened for anyone else?

Do you know if they would like a full CV to be uploaded in portal? CV is one of the examples for documents one may upload.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you know if they would like a full CV to be uploaded in portal? CV is one of the examples for documents one may upload.
If you do add a cv are you making it traditional or will it have non work related items like leadership or extra-curricular activities?

If you do add a cv are you making it traditional or will it have non work related items like leadership or extra-curricular activities?
I would try to avoid being redundant and not include items that are elsewhere in your application.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys, for MSTP, UCLA secondary has a 4000 character section for each of your research experiences and it asks you describe your role in the research. Are we supposed to go in-depth, like copy paste the significant research essay for each experience or is it more of a simple description like they said on the application: "Role in Lab (e.g. paid/volunteer research position. Please include the total number of hours for each project after each description)." Anyone know if we are supposed to go in-depth? Thanks!

Hi guys, for MSTP, UCLA secondary has a 4000 character section for each of your research experiences and it asks you describe your role in the research. Are we supposed to go in-depth, like copy paste the significant research essay for each experience or is it more of a simple description like they said on the application: "Role in Lab (e.g. paid/volunteer research position. Please include the total number of hours for each project after each description)." Anyone know if we are supposed to go in-depth? Thanks!
Hello! Where I had room, I went more in depth to talk about what I learned, etc. Otherwise, I just stuck to a straightforward description.

Testing a theory:
Did anyone get a secondary while they have a "not received" letter waiting in AMCAS?

300 characters is brutally short

Reactions: 2 users
is anyone else still waiting on a secondary? I'm losing hope :(

is anyone else still waiting on a secondary? I'm losing hope :(
me, with an IA. emailed them and got a very unhelpful response but they basically said there's still a chance to receive a secondary

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry if this has been asked before, but my portal says that my letter requirement has been met and my application is complete, but when I go to check the Document Status tab none of the letters show up there, has that happened for anyone else?

Yes this is normal! My Documents tab was empty during the entire cycle.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if UCLA screens secondaries for this year? Does it mean nothing if you receive secondaries?

is it just me or does 300-800 characters seem very minimal to the type of questions they ask haha...

Reactions: 2 users
is it just me or does 300-800 characters seem very minimal to the type of questions they ask haha...
I feel the same way! But there is one section where they ask for 4000 characters. Is that an error since 4000 seems like almost a personal statement and compared to other prompts it seems really high.

• Hmm
Does anyone know if UCLA screens secondaries for this year? Does it mean nothing if you receive secondaries?

n=1 but I added them to my school list on Sunday night and got the secondary on Monday at like 5am so I'm guessing no at least for some people

This is always confusing, but did yall include future hours in "hours worked" for paid work experiences. I put end date as the future end date (2021), but not sure about hours. Any answer from admission office?

This is always confusing, but did yall include future hours in "hours worked" for paid work experiences. I put end date as the future end date (2021), but not sure about hours. Any answer from admission office?
I just put the past tense so the hours I actually worked, not future.

N=1 but I did include my future expected hours for the job I am currently working at

i just put the hours i had actually worked, but mentioned anticipated hours within the description

Testing a theory:
Did anyone get a secondary while they have a "not received" letter waiting in AMCAS?

I received a secondary about three weeks ago when my letter packet was not sent to the AMCAS.

It seems like people are getting secondaries at a different pace. I think they still screen but not sure it's really "holistic." Maybe based on GPA and MCAT?

It seems like people are getting secondaries at a different pace. I think they still screen but not sure it's really "holistic." Maybe based on GPA and MCAT?

Not for all applicants, at least. I was transmitted 10 July and have a 3.96 cGPA (3.94 sGPA) and 524 MCAT composite. I’ve still not received a secondary, unfortunately. No institutional actions or anything else that stands out to me as a reason for a screen-out at this stage.

Help! Asking for a friend who missed the deadline! Can they still submit?

Not for all applicants, at least. I was transmitted 10 July and have a 3.96 cGPA (3.94 sGPA) and 524 MCAT composite. I’ve still not received a secondary, unfortunately. No institutional actions or anything else that stands out to me as a reason for a screen-out at this stage.
I was in a UCLA office hour today and they said it depends on your reader's pace and not based on stats....idk how true that is but they asked to be patient for now

I was in a UCLA office hour today and they said it depends on your reader's pace and not based on stats....idk how true that is but they asked to be patient for now

Yep, I called the admissions office last week and spoke with a very friendly representative who told me the same. I'm doing my best to be patient :)

Are you out of state?

uh what does "Estimate your consumer debt at graduation from college" mean???

oh if anyone wants to know I got verified on 8/3 and got my secondary on 8/4

I am -- from Texas.

maybe for instate it’s automatic? I received mine the morning after I sent in my app. I don’t know how a person could have read it. I want to get my hopes up that getting this secondary means something but I’m not so sure

maybe for instate it’s automatic? I received mine the morning after I sent in my app. I don’t know how a person could have read it. I want to get my hopes up that getting this secondary means something but I’m not so sure

Likely that different screeners have different things they're looking for and/or proceed at different paces. Not sure, and it's probably not too useful to speculate.

I thought they were screening for 512 and above, looks like that is not totally true.

Maybe they've only started giving IIs to IS applicants for whatever reason?

Any international students received a secondary?