-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2020-2021 UCLA (Geffen)
Started by TheDataKing
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
~180 current M1s. Maybe 10 staff. I assume it’s a requirement for all of them to join the FB group. If you take 320 members in the total group and then assume 20% of students admitted around not in the group you get 130 + 26. ~160.Just curious why do you think that ?
I’m sure this isn’t a great breakdown. I’m not even sure how many current students would need to be in the FB group. But given that last week a current student said less than 180-200 had been admitted. This makes more sense than 300+ admitted.
D
deleted1076167
The FB group is purely student ran so no staff are in the group!~180 current M1s. Maybe 10 staff. I assume it’s a requirement for all of them to join the FB group. If you take 320 members in the total group and then assume 20% of students admitted around not in the group you get 130 + 26. ~160.
I’m sure this isn’t a great breakdown
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In that case. We have no idea how many current students are in the group. Not really sure. I think less than 180-200 makes sense given a current student has confirmed it.The FB group is purely student ran so no staff are in the group!
Oh that estimate makes a lot more sense. I wasn't aware that most M1s would be in the group. The 160 estimate is better than the 320 (which funny enough is twice as many ) I thought of.~180 current M1s. Maybe 10 staff. I assume it’s a requirement for all of them to join the FB group. If you take 320 members in the total group and then assume 20% of students admitted around not in the group you get 130 + 26. ~160.
I’m sure this isn’t a great breakdown. I’m not even sure how many current students would need to be in the FB group. But given that last week a current student said less than 180-200 had been admitted. This makes more sense than 300+ admitted.
doctorburritolover
New Member
I just asked my friend who’s and MS1 and involved in interview day and receives updates. ~150 have been admitted.In that case. We have no idea how many current students are in the group. Not really sure. I think less than 180-200 makes sense given a current student has confirmed it.
medstressed
Full Member
How many people are usually admitted during a cycle?I just asked my friend who’s and MS1 and involved in interview day and receives updates. ~150 have been admitted.
Probably around 320How many people are usually admitted during a cycle?
mitochondriapowercell
Full Member
around 310-320How many people are usually admitted during a cycle?
medstressed
Full Member
Probably around 320
Thank you!!around 310-320
Congratulations!!!Just got the Geffen award call! Apparently they just started and will be calling people throughout the next days.
runandmed1
Full Member
Wow congrats!! Weekends too?Just got the Geffen award call! Apparently they just started and will be calling people throughout the next days.
How exciting! Congrats !!!!Just got the Geffen award call! Apparently they just started and will be calling people throughout the next days.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
watermelon2468
New Member
Congrats!!! When did you interview?Just got the Geffen award call! Apparently they just started and will be calling people throughout the next days.
AugustCongrats!!! When did you interview?
Yes weekend too because I just got the Geffen call! This feels so surreal!!! Good luck everyone!Wow congrats!! Weekends too?
SpreadKindness20
Full Member
Assuming this is accurate, I'm trying to wrap around how, by March, a school could have only sent out 50% of its acceptances.I just asked my friend who’s and MS1 and involved in interview day and receives updates. ~150 have been admitted.
I guess just because other schools release decisions earlier doesn't mean UCLA has to do the same. And some other schools like Weill Cornell still haven't released their large batch of decisions, so it's possible UCLA may still do so in the coming weeks.
I was in a pretty cranky/down mood Thursday and Friday after expecting a decision from UCLA but not hearing anything, and then being WL'd at a different school. So just wanted to validate anyone else who may have been feeling the same the last couple days.
Clearly it's not over yet. Sending smiles and positive vibes to everyone!
D
deleted1076167
For those you got the Geffen award, what area code was the phone number and was it Dean Lucero? Congrats!
mitochondriapowercell
Full Member
PreachAssuming this is accurate, I'm trying to wrap around how, by March, a school could have only sent out 50% of its acceptances.
I guess just because other schools release decisions earlier doesn't mean UCLA has to do the same. And some other schools like Weill Cornell still haven't released their large batch of decisions, so it's possible UCLA may still do so in the coming weeks.
I was in a pretty cranky/down mood Thursday and Friday after expecting a decision from UCLA but not hearing anything, and then being WL'd at a different school. So just wanted to validate anyone else who may have been feeling the same the last couple days.
Clearly it's not over yet. Sending smiles and positive vibes to everyone!
doctorburritolover
New Member
Definitely feel this. From what my friend said, UCLA is trying not to over offer acceptances, as they have run into trouble with that in the past. As a result, they move very slowly. That combined w the fact that they received a significant increase in apps this year + only releasing 5-10 A’s at a time make it that much slower. Apparently they release A’s as late as May. I know this doesn’t help anyone’s anxiety, mine included, but it is quite literally out of our hands now so my plan is just to try to distract myself as best as I can lolAssuming this is accurate, I'm trying to wrap around how, by March, a school could have only sent out 50% of its acceptances.
I guess just because other schools release decisions earlier doesn't mean UCLA has to do the same. And some other schools like Weill Cornell still haven't released their large batch of decisions, so it's possible UCLA may still do so in the coming weeks.
I was in a pretty cranky/down mood Thursday and Friday after expecting a decision from UCLA but not hearing anything, and then being WL'd at a different school. So just wanted to validate anyone else who may have been feeling the same the last couple days.
Clearly it's not over yet. Sending smiles and positive vibes to everyone!
As late as may? OMG thats so late..like How does someone plan anything? What if people need to move and make some life changes? Also some programs start as early as June at other schools so this is nooooo gooood. Ugh I wish there was a way to make them hurry up and finish by April sighhhhhDefinitely feel this. From what my friend said, UCLA is trying not to over offer acceptances, as they have run into trouble with that in the past. As a result, they move very slowly. That combined w the fact that they received a significant increase in apps this year + only releasing 5-10 A’s at a time make it that much slower. Apparently they release A’s as late as May. I know this doesn’t help anyone’s anxiety, mine included, but it is quite literally out of our hands now so my plan is just to try to distract myself as best as I can lol
D
deleted1039510
i’m also confused about it going to may - you have to choose a school in Plan to Enroll by april 30, so shouldn’t schools send all offers out by then? maybe i’m missing something
doctorburritolover
New Member
Apparently the plan to enroll is not even official/binding. even the commit to enroll in June can be changed if you get an offer/off the waitlist elsewhere. I’ve had friends switch very last minute when this happened.i’m also confused about it going to may - you have to choose a school in Plan to Enroll by april 30, so shouldn’t schools send all offers out by then? maybe i’m missing something
+1 my friend last cycle got accepted in May so i know it’s a real possibility. Hopefully it won’t be the same this cycle :/Definitely feel this. From what my friend said, UCLA is trying not to over offer acceptances, as they have run into trouble with that in the past. As a result, they move very slowly. That combined w the fact that they received a significant increase in apps this year + only releasing 5-10 A’s at a time make it that much slower. Apparently they release A’s as late as May. I know this doesn’t help anyone’s anxiety, mine included, but it is quite literally out of our hands now so my plan is just to try to distract myself as best as I can lol
medappquery
Full Member
Does anyone have an idea on how many Geffens are still left to be given out?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
brookstones
Full Member
Got the Geffen call at 9AM PST on Saturday! Excited beyond belief.
pleasejustplease
Full Member
Do we think dgsom will start releasing admission decisions on weekdays besides just Thursday’s since they’re releasing only 5-10 at a time?
based on what Dean Lucero said after popping into the FA call, it will be from a 415 area codeFor those you got the Geffen award, what area code was the phone number and was it Dean Lucero? Congrats!
this is a great question.....ughDo we think dgsom will start releasing admission decisions on weekdays besides just Thursday’s since they’re releasing only 5-10 at a time?
mitochondriapowercell
Full Member
It looks like the facebook group increased by ~25 people this past week, so maybe they are admitting more but less people are posting on SDN
We don’t know if those are incoming students. If they are, we don’t know when they were acceptedIt looks like the facebook group increased by ~25 people this past week, so maybe they are admitting more but less people are posting on SDN
I learned that in past years, some people didn’t hear anything from UCLA post-II until June, almost a full year after they interviewed, when they finally got the R (without getting waitlisted).
I suspect this is will happen to many of us again, so gonna move on and assume a R from here.
Literally none of UCLA’s peer institutions shows so little respect for its applicants. It’s quite dissapointing. Good luck guys, hope you all got good news from elsewhere already.
I suspect this is will happen to many of us again, so gonna move on and assume a R from here.
Literally none of UCLA’s peer institutions shows so little respect for its applicants. It’s quite dissapointing. Good luck guys, hope you all got good news from elsewhere already.
medstressed
Full Member
What are the odds we hear something tonight
I hope so, this wait has officially broken me.
Current student here, they were awarding Geffens last year through the summer. Anecdotally, I have a friend who got it in June.If we were accepted but haven't gotten the Geffen call yet, that probably means we haven't gotten it, right? 🙁
medstressed
Full Member
Oh goodness 🥺 Thats so crazy. Congrats to them for getting in but what if we have to move across the country 🙃Current student here, they were awarding Geffens last year through the summer. Anecdotally, I have a friend who got it in June.
D
deleted1076167
God I really hope this is the case, I’ll be going to dgsom with or without the Geffen but I really really really hope I get it it’s been so hard waitingCurrent student here, they were awarding Geffens last year through the summer. Anecdotally, I have a friend who got it in June.
I'll be going to DGSOM with or without the Geffen too... they haven't accepted me but ima show up anyway and just act like I belong 🤣. Hopefully it worksGod I really hope this is the case, I’ll be going to dgsom with or without the Geffen but I really really really hope I get it it’s been so hard waiting
D
deleted1076167
Lol love that energy!! See you thereI'll be going to DGSOM with or without the Geffen too... they haven't accepted me but ima show up anyway and just act like I belong 🤣. Hopefully it works
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
planariaparty
New Member
I feel you..when they said it could be any time in the next few weeks and then people got called on the weekend too, I feel like I am just in a constant state of anxiety, constantly checking my phone and feeling sad I haven't heard news. I wish I could just go jump forward and know what the final outcome is because waiting is so stressful.God I really hope this is the case, I’ll be going to dgsom with or without the Geffen but I really really really hope I get it it’s been so hard waiting
medstressed
Full Member
I’m joining ya! See u soon peepsI'll be going to DGSOM with or without the Geffen too... they haven't accepted me but ima show up anyway and just act like I belong 🤣. Hopefully it works
D
deleted1076167
I almost passed out when I say people were getting awards on the weekend 😭😭 hopefully we hear back soonI feel you..when they said it could be any time in the next few weeks and then people got called on the weekend too, I feel like I am just in a constant state of anxiety, constantly checking my phone and feeling sad I haven't heard news. I wish I could just go jump forward and know what the final outcome is because waiting is so stressful.
medstressed
Full Member
But haven’t they already accepted 150 and the class is 118 🙃 I’m just trying not to get my hopes up at this point. I hope your right tho!I read online that schools need to accept their entire class by March 15th? Unless I misinterpreted that....
so maybe we will hear back this week?