2020-2021 University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine (UNECOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ADMIT!!!!!

Got the call this morning.

Complete end of July - Interview/Zoom 11/19 - WL 12/16 - ADMIT!!
Congrats! Same here with similar dates, except I didn’t get any call this morning so I thought the email was just them sending my WL letter again. Didn’t think I’d hear from them til late springtime so this was a nice surprise!

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
got the acceptance email today!! no phone call, although I'd probably miss it anyway given all the scam calls I get and habitually reject any unsaved number at this point.

I feel so relieved to get off the waitlist so quickly, which is why I didn't even expect todays email to have had the decision letter attached. I opened it so casually thinking maybe it was another seminar they were extending an invite to attend or info session. this was my second application cycle and all I can say to those still waiting/applying is keep going!

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I had a few miscellaneous questions for prospectives students or current students!
-Are classes mandatory to attend?
-Is there a dress code?
-What does your typical weekly class schedule look like?
-What is the parking situation on campus?

Thanks in advance!

Current first year.
-lectures are recorded and posted online for us to view. I think pre covid most people attended lectures live but I’m not sure if they were mandatory. That being said there are a lot of other mandatory activities we complete over zoom such as concept mapping, a zoom marathon every Friday afternoon, and random meetings added to Monday afternoons or any evening.

-scrubs while on campus and we have to wear ppe over them, business casual with white coat for some zoom activities.

-typical schedule will probably be different once covid restrictions are lifted but for us this year:
Monday: 7-8 weekly quiz for medical knowledge class. 8-10 or 10-12 concept mapping depending on your group. Then in the afternoon is an oral quiz for anatomy. Then faculty office hours.
Tuesday-Thursday: we are split up into three groups because of covid but you have one day at home to watch lectures and study, one day with anatomy from 8-12, and one day with clinical skills/OMT from 8-5.
Friday: mornings are study time and every 2 or 3 weeks we have a test from 8-10.
1-3 is a histology class via zoom, 3-4 the faculty/alumni/guest speakers present a case via zoom, 4-5 typically have another zoom class on varying subjects.
- parking is 100$ for the year and there has been plenty of space.

Keep in mind that this might all be very different for you when covid restricts aren’t in place.

Reactions: 7 users
Current first year.
-lectures are recorded and posted online for us to view. I think pre covid most people attended lectures live but I’m not sure if they were mandatory. That being said there are a lot of other mandatory activities we complete over zoom such as concept mapping, a zoom marathon every Friday afternoon, and random meetings added to Monday afternoons or any evening.

-scrubs while on campus and we have to wear ppe over them, business casual with white coat for some zoom activities.

-typical schedule will probably be different once covid restrictions are lifted but for us this year:
Monday: 7-8 weekly quiz for medical knowledge class. 8-10 or 10-12 concept mapping depending on your group. Then in the afternoon is an oral quiz for anatomy. Then faculty office hours.
Tuesday-Thursday: we are split up into three groups because of covid but you have one day at home to watch lectures and study, one day with anatomy from 8-12, and one day with clinical skills/OMT from 8-5.
Friday: mornings are study time and every 2 or 3 weeks we have a test from 8-10.
1-3 is a histology class via zoom, 3-4 the faculty/alumni/guest speakers present a case via zoom, 4-5 typically have another zoom class on varying subjects.

Keep in mind that this might all be very different for you when covid restricts aren’t in place.
This is very clear and helpful. Thank you for taking the time to put this together for us.

Reactions: 2 users
Current first year.

Thank you for this!!! What’s a zoom marathon?

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry if this was already answered, but does anyone know if they accept non-academic updates? I know they accept updates after 1/1 but wasn’t sure if that only includes academic updates.

Thx in advance! And congrats everyone on their As.

Current first year.

Weird question, but is there mandatory color for scrubs or any color? Looking to sell some of my Figs before I move and I want to know which ones to keep/sell.

Sorry if this was already answered, but does anyone know if they accept non-academic updates? I know they accept updates after 1/1 but wasn’t sure if that only includes academic updates.

Thx in advance! And congrats everyone on their As.
You can send non-academic updates after 1/1 but it has to be in pdf

Weird question, but is there mandatory color for scrubs or any color? Looking to sell some of my Figs before I move and I want to know which ones to keep/sell.

Any color but dark green since that’s what the anatomists wear.

Many hours of zoom without a break
they can be rough D:
Current first year.

You beat me to it but I'll add on to here :)
- Pre-Covid i'm pretty sure classes weren't mandatory and lectures would be posted after class. You would also have two 4-hour donor lab sessions a week but we only have 1 now.
- I know from my interview last year that there isn't a dress code for classes. But with Covid now we're only allowed scrubs on campus unless we're told otherwise then it would be business casual + white coat.
- a more broad view of your school life here is that we're block based. So for 6-8 weeks we're learning things about one specific region (so usually it's upper extremity, lower extremity, heart/lungs, GI/GU, head + neck). For the majority of the block your schedule will look like what Deltoidcarbon said. The last week is like a "finals" week where you will have a donor practical, clinical skills assessment (which is taking a medical history + doing a physical exam/any omm techniques you learned/etc which used to be all together but for us history taking is it's own exam), and then two comprehensive exams (1 for medical knowledge and the other for clinical skills). then the next week you have off if you passed everything (this is new for us this year but i'm pretty sure it's something they're keeping around) then you start the next block.
- i heard from past years that parking here is rough but I haven't had an issue at all so far, maybe this is just because of covid but who knows lol

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
they can be rough D:

You beat me to it but I'll add on to here :)
- Pre-Covid i'm pretty sure classes weren't mandatory and lectures would be posted after class. You would also have two 4-hour donor lab sessions a week but we only have 1 now.
- I know from my interview last year that there isn't a dress code for classes. But with Covid now we're only allowed scrubs on campus unless we're told otherwise then it would be business casual + white coat.
- a more broad view of your school life here is that we're block based. So for 6-8 weeks we're learning things about one specific region (so usually it's upper extremity, lower extremity, heart/lungs, GI/GU, head + neck). For the majority of the block your schedule will look like what Deltoidcarbon said. The last week is like a "finals" week where you will have a donor practical, clinical skills assessment (which is taking a medical history + doing a physical exam/any omm techniques you learned/etc which used to be all together but for us history taking is it's own exam), and then two comprehensive exams (1 for medical knowledge and the other for clinical skills). then the next week you have off if you passed everything (this is new for us this year but i'm pretty sure it's something they're keeping around) then you start the next block.
- i heard from past years that parking here is rough but I haven't had an issue at all so far, maybe this is just because of covid but who knows lol

You guys might not know this as first years (and this might have already been asked) but do you feel that the comprehensive exams help you prepare for the style of board exams in any way?

Y'all I interviewed on 1/12 and I know they said 4 weeks but this wait is killin meeeee :'(

I was wondering if anyone would know about the clinical rotation sites. Do they allow us to go outside Maine back to our home state for rotations or is it strictly their sites? Any info would be appreciated. Thank you!

I was wondering if anyone would know about the clinical rotation sites. Do they allow us to go outside Maine back to our home state for rotations or is it strictly their sites? Any info would be appreciated. Thank you!
From what I understand (and the info on their website) year 3 you spend at one of the affiliated clinical campuses that range from PA to ME. Year 4 you can rotate anywhere as long as you get the site(s) approved by the school.

To add to @atrain2514, there are a BUNCH of clinical rotation sites situated in the Northeast. Absolutely no problem if you want to do clinical rotations outside of Maine!

You guys might not know this as first years (and this might have already been asked) but do you feel that the comprehensive exams help you prepare for the style of board exams in any way?
Hmm, yes and no. So far our questions haven't been super boards style-ish but I know they're going to transition more towards that as we get through this semester and I think 2nd year's tests are more like that too!

Here's a link with the sites! As far as I know what armaragon said is correct. You can choose any of the sites on there for 3rd year. 4th year has some required rotations but you can also do auditions and stuff anywhere in the country!

Just received II!! This is my top choice!! I sent an update on 1/1

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Y'all I interviewed on 1/12 and I know they said 4 weeks but this wait is killin meeeee :'(
They also told me four weeks, but I ended up hearing in just about two! Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

• Care
during the welcome session, should we prepare questions to ask or is that something we will have time to do during the main interview?
There's a portion of the welcome session where you're directed into "breakout rooms" with two current students! It's about 20-30 mins in length and entirely devoted to your questions.

You also have time at the end of your interview, though!

There's a portion of the welcome session where you're directed into "breakout rooms" with two current students! It's about 20-30 mins in length and entirely devoted to your questions.

You also have time at the end of your interview, though!
The welcome session is very laid-back and conversational. You can ask any type of questions relating to the program, school, region, student body, etc. It's very "off record" and enjoyable.

Hello everyone! I am interviewing here this week and am super nervous... Could anyone tell me what to expect for the Welcome session and how to best prepare for that and the interview 😥
Congratulations! :) please don't be nervous. Every interaction you'll have this week will be laid-back, relaxed, and conversational!

The welcome session is most similar to an info session that you may have attended for undergrad. There will be several pages of attendees within zoom (all students that have been invited to interview around the same time as you). A few members of the admissions staff will give short presentations about the history of the school, its roots in primary care, etc. There will be a 20-30 minute portion where you are directed into "breakout rooms" with two currents students and about ten other interviewees. That time is entirely dedicated to Q&A!

The interview is so conversational. They emphasize that all they want to do is evaluate whether or not you're a good fit for the school! Both my friend and I have interviewed, and we can confidently say that no one was out to get us. No one tried to stump us or throw us any curveballs. Remember that you are the expert on yourself. :) Just speak from the heart about why UNE, why DO, and your goals as a physician. You'll do amazing! <3

Best of luck!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Hi everyone! Recently accepted and starting to make my pros/cons list. I already covered cost/ location and I'm looking for some other points. Has anyone else made one yet?

Prior to my acceptance I was doing a post bacc program, do you all think it looks bad if I exit the post bacc program? I would rather save my money for med school. Should I notify unecom about this?

I'd probably email admissions and ask. i'm guessing they accepted you based on what your current academic accomplishments look like, so they probably won't care, but it never hurts to ask.

Hmm, yes and no. So far our questions haven't been super boards style-ish but I know they're going to transition more towards that as we get through this semester and I think 2nd year's tests are more like that too!

Here's a link with the sites! As far as I know what armaragon said is correct. You can choose any of the sites on there for 3rd year. 4th year has some required rotations but you can also do auditions and stuff anywhere in the country!
Hi, Angela. Thanks for your participation on the thread and for all of the great information.

Any chance that you and/or someone you know at UNE is able to discuss the financial aid process? I intend to call UNE's financial aid office, but would appreciate speaking with a peer who has gone through this already.

Thanks!

Hi folks, I'm a re-applicant that was recently accepted (looking forward to meeting y'all!) with a question for current students: what kind of tools/perks/resources does UNE give to first year students? Haha it would be nice to know what we are expected to purchase and what will be "gifted" (although I understand it's probably covered by our tuition packages anyway)

Books? Online resources? Tech?

Hi, Angela. Thanks for your participation on the thread and for all of the great information.

Any chance that you and/or someone you know at UNE is able to discuss the financial aid process? I intend to call UNE's financial aid office, but would appreciate speaking with a peer who has gone through this already.

Thanks!
Also wondering when do we get financial aid offers? This is the biggest factor in my med school decision

Thanks!
To be honest I'm not the most versed on financial aid. I would definitely reach out to the financial aid office. I didn't receive any scholarships so I'm paying for everything with government loans if that helps lol!
Hi folks, I'm a re-applicant that was recently accepted (looking forward to meeting y'all!) with a question for current students: what kind of tools/perks/resources does UNE give to first year students? Haha it would be nice to know what we are expected to purchase and what will be "gifted" (although I understand it's probably covered by our tuition packages anyway)

Books? Online resources? Tech?
To be honest, UNE doesn't give much. All of our books are available online through the library. They include a technology/books/medical equipment allowance in your cost of attendance first semester first year, so you'll have loan money to use to buy a computer and all the medical equipment you need (they'll give you a list at some point). In the past they gave a discount for AMBOSS but I don't think they give any other boards resources, but not sure yet since boards studying is more of a second year thing. Hope this helps :)

For any currently accepted students or students that have attended, how have you guys gone about finding suitable housing?

For any currently accepted students or students that have attended, how have you guys gone about finding suitable housing?
They'll give you a list of housing options at some point (might be on the class of 2025 page if that's up yet). If not there will be 2nd years who are moving away for rotations and stuff and are looking for incoming first years to take over. Other than that, google is your friend :)

People who have received an admissions decision, how long after the interview did you hear back? Thank you! :)

People who have received an admissions decision, how long after the interview did you hear back? Thank you! :)
I interviewed 11/19. Was waitlisted 12/16. Admitted 1/12. Imagine it is shorter if they admit you immediately post-interview. Just happy to be in!

It was a little over 2 weeks for me but that's probably because they wanted to give my group our decision before the holiday season. I do know that they say 3-5 weeks and it's usually been around 3 weeks for most other people. I interviewed 12/1 and was accepted 12/16.

I heard that the grading system is pretty weird/complex at UNECOM but in simplest terms, is it pass/fail? Sounds like it was something like Honors/High Pass/Pass/Fail...can anyone confirm or correct me?

Hello :) I am wondering what the average turn around time is to hear back from interviews?

Does anyone know how much UNE is including room & board and every amenity ?