2020-2021 University of Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just copied and pasted my response about the summer between MS1 and MS2. The MS2s would be the best people to talk to about this, but they're in their dedicated period right now so I can only give you an MS1's perspective right now.

As with any med school, yes, those questions crop up. Generally, you can tell faculty about what's working and what's not and they'll try to adjust things if they're able to. Some blocks and faculty are better than others. The curriculum and calendar are pretty set in stone though so huge changes are probably not gonna happen. You also fill out end of block surveys where you can mention what worked/what didn't, etc. I'm not sure what happens to the surveys after they're received by UW though.
Thanks! I knew I remember reading something at one point!

Members don't see this ad.

Can I ask the LizzyM's of idaho people who got accepted? I am assuming calls are done so...bracing for the rejection tomorrow morning. This is a brutal process. Congrats to those accepted!
I think there is a chance some calls come tomorrow. At least I am hopeful haha

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I got an under consideration (for TRUST and MD) email last night.
Did that email explicitly state SUC for TRUST, or was it just a generic SUC email? I assume TRUST applicants will hear if they are accepted or not to that specific program.

Can I ask the LizzyM's of idaho people who got accepted? I am assuming calls are done so...bracing for the rejection tomorrow morning. This is a brutal process. Congrats to those accepted!
It is a brutal process but I have faith you'll get good news soon!

also mine is a 70.6 fwiw

Reactions: 1 users
LizzyM - 75.6.

Re-applicant and just got the call yesterday. Stay hopeful!

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Congrats!!! What time did your call come?
Call came at 6:30pm MST yesterday. I'm hoping for anyone who didn't get a call that there is still a chance! I know that waitlist movement is usually between 8 -10 ppl.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Still on cloud 9, so excited and can’t wait to meet the WWAMILY this Fall...until then, I created a FB group for the Idaho cohort to e-meet!

MS2 here procrastinating in dedicated if anyone has questions, just reach out!

For the summer between MS1/2 question, it was pretty well summarized by a current MS1, I'll add that COVID-19 has made it optional for both E-19s and E-20s. I am unsure if this will continue to anyone starting this year (E-21s), but the school has heard a lot about equity because frequently the people that elect not to do this now-optional Triple I (what the summer experience is called) are the ones that have familial or financial responsibilities. Therefore, those that have less responsibilities and financial stress differentially benefit from making it optional.

Personally, I elected to do my research project and not register for Triple I. It was financially tight because I didn't get loans for living expenses, but I found a flexible enough project (prior to COVID-19 it was funded) that allowed me to work some AND I didn't have to pay tuition. I'll be getting a paper out of it in addition to several national and local research conference podium presentations, so I'm not worried about it the Triple-I academic credit not showing up on my transcript when it comes time to apply to residency. Most research projects were not this lucky --students usually present at the UWSOM research symposium and the Western Medical Research Forum. Advice for this --choose an already ongoing project! It'll be easier to get results and turn that into a poster/publication as compared to setting up something from scratch.

As for other project options if you decide not to do classical research ---RUOP is ONLY 4 weeks at your site, there's one week before and one after that are online (this is standard, not changed due to COVID-19) and scheduling can accommodate you if you have plans (ie wedding from my classmates' experiences), so long as your plans are in early June or late August (NOT July). All of my classmates that selected this option absolutely loved it because they were usually working with a single preceptor or two and there was tons of clinical learning (one even got to deliver a baby!)

GHIP was cancelled due to the pandemic.

Scholarship of Integration (review paper option) is absolutely what you make of it and who you choose as a mentor. Essentially you write a literature review paper. I don't know many classmates that did this, but from what I hear it's got great flexibility depending on your research advisor, but can be rather lonely and a ton of work because the goal usually becomes to publish and that takes more time with submissions/revisions.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Has anyone received a WL email from the Idaho cohort?

edit: or rejection I guess :(

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know stats for people making it to the A off the SUC list for the Seattle cohort?

Reactions: 3 users
For all of us in the SUC pool for the Seattle cohort, we shouldn't expect any updates all of February right? Because there aren't any Seattle interview weeks left (as far as I know) and UW says "The Office of Admissions will send regular updates about the status of your application after each Seattle interview week."

For all of us in the SUC pool for the Seattle cohort, we shouldn't expect any updates all of February right? Because there aren't any Seattle interview weeks left (as far as I know) and UW says "The Office of Admissions will send regular updates about the status of your application after each Seattle interview week."
I believe they have extended interview dates through February, the answer might be somewhere in this because I could have sworn I saw comments about it.

I believe they have extended interview dates through February, the answer might be somewhere in this because I could have sworn I saw comments about it.
Yeah they added some February dates. All my email said (for the Seattle cohort) was "a varied schedule through February 26."

Wondering if any OOR applicants have been accepted into the Seattle cohort???
I saw that one OOR person in this thread reported they were accepted. I think most are SUC'ed until they finalize decisions in March. More waiting for us...yayy

Weird question y’all. Do we find out about the interviewers at any point in time?

In addition, I’m getting an interview without an MCAT. Since there are three people interviewing me, two of them being blind to my lack of MCAT.. itd be safe to assume that I should expect no questions?

Weird question y’all. Do we find out about the interviewers at any point in time?

In addition, I’m getting an interview without an MCAT. Since there are three people interviewing me, two of them being blind to my lack of MCAT.. itd be safe to assume that I should expect no questions?
If there are any questions about any of your metrics it would come at the very end. The excom member would ask you to stay back while the other 2 interviewers leave to address them. So, you shouldn't expect any questions while all three are there. You may or may not be asked about it at the end.

Thanks buddy!!
Do you know if I’ll get interviewer information?
For sure.
I was able to see it on the interview portal. I think they wait until it's relatively close to your date before releasing the names though.

One last question!
How does the waiting system work for University of Washington?

Annnnnd. In regards to this attached photo about admission statistics. Alaska only has a class size of 20. How did 23 matriculate? And how did 47 get accepted?

Attachments

• 26327CE9-009C-4588-8182-B6C43384A47B.jpeg
    26327CE9-009C-4588-8182-B6C43384A47B.jpeg
    170.6 KB · Views: 112
One last question!

Annnnnd. In regards to this attached photo about admission statistics. Alaska only has a class size of 20. How did 23 matriculate? And how did 47 get accepted?
I'm guessing you're referring to being waitlisted? If that's the case...for AK, you'll get your decision on Friday of the interview week (so next Friday assuming the excom meets like they did last year). You'll be emailed if you're WLed. In that email, you're told what position you are on the WL, #1, #2, #3, etc. and you can select whether or not you want to remain on the WL.

After that, you're pretty much waiting till a person turns down their acceptance. This can take a while. A lot of movement is seen around April 15 leading up to April 30th (though COVID may slow things down now). Last year the first bit of movement for AK came on April 15th. If you get off the WL, you'll get a phone call and email confirming your acceptance.

I'm a bit confused about the admissions statistics too. My best guess is that the 23 for AK came from 20 people originally accepted + 3 people taken off the WL. The math should be similar for the other sites...for some reason they included original acceptances + people accepted from the WL. For the 48 who were "offered"...yeah, scratching my head.

Last edited:
I got SUC on Monday after interviewing on 1/19, does anyone have any ideas what the percentage of applicants under SUC are offerred slots at Seattle or Spokane? Also, I applied as "open to either campus", how would this impact my chances of acceptance at either location? Thank you!

One last question!

Yeah they recently updated that page and some intern really screwed up the data entry for that table. I spent at least 20 minutes trying to see if there was any pattern or reason for where they got those numbers from. It was a waste of 20 min, lol. If you want to see how many are accepted in total, go look at the number of waitlist acceptances and add 20.

• Haha
One last question!

More students get acceptance offers but not all of them end up choosing UWSOM

Just got the call for the WY cohort!!! The waiting game damn near killed me— can’t explain the relief right now. Keep your heads up, y’all!! Hope some of our paths cross in a couple years!!

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
they send out 47 acceptances, hoping/assuming 27 decline?

thanks for responding buddy!!

they send out 47 acceptances, hoping/assuming 27 decline?

thanks for responding buddy!!
No it doesn’t work like that! They make acceptance offers all throughout the interview cycle of course depending on the cohort. Some people end up commiting somewhere else so more seats become available and more offers get sent out throughout the cycle and then towards the end of the interview cycle they look at the wait list and even make more offers to fill the class

No it doesn’t work like that! They make acceptance offers all throughout the interview cycle of course depending on the cohort. Some people end up commiting somewhere else so more seats become available and more offers get sent out throughout the cycle and then towards the end of the interview cycle they look at the wait list and even make more offers to fill the class
That's not how it works for the other states. All interviews take place over one week. Then, all non-waitlist acceptances are sent out a few days after interviews are completed. (i.e. Alaska accepts 20 students, Montana 30, Idaho 40, and Wyoming 20.) The only other acceptances come directly from the waitlist after somebody withdraws.

The data on that table on the screenshot above is definitely entered incorrectly. You can take a look at it here:
Acceptance Statistics | UW Medicine

This data is obviously wrong because it shows 358 students matriculated when there are only 270 spots available. Each cohort has a greater amount of matriculants than legally allotted. I'm assuming the 358 is the total number of acceptances, not matriculants, but where they got their interviews and offered data from beats me. You can get a more realistic estimate of how many total acceptances are given for each site by looking at the table titled "Alternates Accepted." For example, in Alaska, 3 students were pulled off the waitlist in 2020. That means a total of 23 students were accepted from the Alaskan cohort. In 2019, 11 alternates were accepted for a total of 31 acceptances. 2019 was a bit of an outlier, but it gives you an idea of the range of acceptances you can expect this year. In 2017, 5 students were accepted off the waitlist, but only 4 of those waitlist acceptances matriculated. This meant one waitlisted student was accepted off the waitlist, but withdrew that acceptance to attend elsewhere.

@palmer90700

• Love
Have any other OOR ppl looked at this? Did they really accept 48/53 OOR students they interviewed in 2020? That seems like an incredibly high acceptance rate for this group....I’m wondering if this is actually true or perhaps an error?
96EAF5AE-E8F1-47F2-8638-4E155CAB398F.jpeg

Have any other OOR ppl looked at this? Did they really accept 48/53 OOR students they interviewed in 2020? That seems like an incredibly high acceptance rate for this group....I’m wondering if this is actually true or perhaps an error?View attachment 329386
Accepting 48 is not high. Not everyone that gets accepted will matriculate. The number of acceptances goes up as people who have been accepted decline their offer and then someone from the waitlist is offered an acceptance. Each person that comes off the waitlist will be added to the # of accepted. What's weird is that they interviewed very few people (53 compared to over 100 in the previous years)

Accepting 48 is not high. Not everyone that gets accepted will matriculate. The number of acceptances goes up as people who have been accepted decline their offer and then someone from the waitlist is offered an acceptance. Each person that comes off the waitlist will be added to the # of accepted. What's weird is that they interviewed very few people (53 compared to over 100 in the previous years)
That's a good point! I wonder how many they are interviewing this year...:unsure:

That's a good point! I wonder how many they are interviewing this year...:unsure:
Most likely an increased number since its virtual so probably around the 100 number from previous years. Which means probably a 30-40% chance of acceptance (all assumptions)

LAST QUESTION BEFORE MY INTERVIEW TOMORROW.

isn’t there an option to see the interviewers before the interview?? I don’t see any tab for it

I heard that you should only accept the ‘video interview’ terms during the day of the interview and then you can see them.

I heard that you should only accept the ‘video interview’ terms during the day of the interview and then you can see them.
Accept and sign your name, then you can see there name. Use the last minute to learn about them.

I accepted the video interview terms about a week before the interview. Nothing wrong will come if you accept the terms before the interview.

Good luck, and remember to be yourself!!!

Good luck to all of the Alaska applicants this week~ You're gonna do great! :biglove:

Just ended my interview. I don’t know how I did, if I’m honest. Messed up on a few questions...

it did end with you do have good characteristics but it’s early on in the interview process

how should I interpret that?

Just ended my interview. I don’t know how I did, if I’m honest. Messed up on a few questions...

it did end with you do have good characteristics but it’s early on in the interview process

how should I interpret that?
Huh. You did interview on the first day and interviews run till Thursday, so maybe that's what they meant? I'd try not to overthink it (well, as much as you can't overthink during the application process).

Huh. You did interview on the first day and interviews run till Thursday, so maybe that's what they meant? I'd try not to overthink it (well, as much as you can't overthink during the application process).
I got an interview without an mcat and low gpa, so I’m just having a bad feeling about it. The interviewers seemed like they wanted more out of my andwers.

• Sad
Have people from the Seattle cohort on the SUC list made it off to an A yet?

Has anyone on here had a particularly bad interview and still been accepted?
One of my friends from the Spokane cohort last year had a horrible interview but killed it within the last ten minutes with a final "sell yourself" spiel. Her nerves nearly shot down her chances, but she calmed herself and was able to sell a genuine story. She then got a call the following day and is currently doing exceedingly well.

Your story is the most crucial part of the interview, and if you can disseminate this in a meaningful way, I think you'll be just fine. The hardest part is over. Know that you accomplished something phenomenal!