2020-2021 UT Houston ( McGovern)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Not sure Baylor follows October 15th prematch since they are part of AAMC.
Baylor does not follow the 10/15 prematch. In the interview they said that the earliest that they will start sending out decisions is in November.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if pre-match offers go out starting on October 15th or November 15th for Texas residents? I’ve seen both dates mentioned, so I’m not sure which day I should add to my calendar to start panicking

How does pre-match work?

Members don't see this ad :)
sorry, i have been responding as if this thread is Baylor. please ignore my messages.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
ok, i have additional questions about matching. if you rank schools a, b, and c and prematch at b. what is the process if you want to wait for a? do you accept prematch b and continue to wait for regular match time for possible acceptance to a? also, i dont really understand when i hear people say that you can hold multiple acceptances. if you match to the higher choice, doesnt that automaticaly void your lower ranks?

ok, i have additional questions about matching. if you rank schools a, b, and c and prematch at b. what is the process if you want to wait for a? do you accept prematch b and continue to wait for regular match time for possible acceptance to a? also, i dont really understand when i hear people say that you can hold multiple acceptances. if you match to the higher choice, doesnt that automaticaly void your lower ranks?

You can hold multiple pre-match acceptances, but it's different when it comes to match day. Say you get II's from A, B, C, D and you pre-match at B and C. You are now holding those two acceptances. Once match day comes, if you rank your schools A, B, C, D, then you are officially dropping your app from schools C and D because you've ranked B higher (which you KNOW you are already accepted to). If A accepts you, then you'll go to A for sure, because it's at the top of your list. BUT, if A waitlists you and you're accepted after match day, then you get to choose between A and B. So at that point, you'd be holding multiple acceptances, but I am not positive how long you can hold it. I think they give you a deadline to accept or deny if you get in off the waitlist. Does that make sense?

Source: had a friend that last minute switched from El Paso to UTMB in this exact scenario.

Reactions: 5 users
If you interviewed at 5 schools and have an admission at 2 before match day, you can only hold one admission after match day.

You can rank the 3 schools you have not been admitted to above the one admission you can keep. They keep swapping the schools until June 15th (not sure if it is same date this year since some dates have been moved) when the school you hold becomes your final school.

So if you have schools 1-5 you interviewed at and admitted to schools 4 and 5.

You rank your schools same order on match day even though you are not admitted to 1,2,3.

If no one is admitting you on match day, now you are waitlisted at 1,2,3 while holding an admission at 4 but lose admission at 5.

February 15th, an opening opens up at school 3 - you are switched from school 4 to 3.

April 30th - an opening opens up at 2, now you are moved from 3 to 2.

June 15th nothing has changed - you plan to attend school 2.

If you interviewed at 5 schools and have an admission at 2 before match day, you can only hold one admission after match day.

You can rank the 3 schools you have not been admitted to above the one admission you can keep. They keep swapping the schools until June 15th (not sure if it is same date this year since some dates have been moved) when the school you hold becomes your final school.

So if you have schools 1-5 you interviewed at and admitted to schools 4 and 5.

You rank your schools same order on match day even though you are not admitted to 1,2,3.

If no one is admitting you on match day, now you are waitlisted at 1,2,3 while holding an admission at 4 but lose admission at 5.

February 15th, an opening opens up at school 3 - you are switched from school 4 to 3.

April 30th - an opening opens up at 2, now you are moved from 3 to 2.

June 15th nothing has changed - you plan to attend school 2.

There are a couple of things about @texasvandy's example here that are not quite right, so I'd like to rectify:
There is no "switching or swapping" happening automatically after Match Day at all.

You will come out of Match Day with 1 Match school or Zero Match schools.
(If you have had any prematch offers, you WILL have 1 Match school. If you have had interviews but got no prematch offers, you can still get 1 Match school on Match Day, or you can get the message "No Match").

If you have a Match school, but later on get an offer from a Wait List (as in the Feb and April examples given) you will personally consider whether to accept that WL offer, or stick with your Match school. You must inform the WL school if you say "no". You must inform BOTH schools if you decide to say "yes" to the WL offer and drop your spot at the former Match school.

Yes, it's complicated. There are videos about it on TMDSAS and/or Texas Health Education Service web pages. I suggest you all read & watch them :)

Does anyone know if pre-match offers go out starting on October 15th or November 15th for Texas residents? I’ve seen both dates mentioned, so I’m not sure which day I should add to my calendar to start panicking
A school I interview told us that prematch offer will not be sent ou in Oct 15 this year. THey also mention that match day is now 3/5 instead of February. Im sure there are some TMDSAS representatives on this site so they can better answer your questions.

Reactions: 1 user
There are a couple of things about @texasvandy's example here that are not quite right, so I'd like to rectify:
There is no "switching or swapping" happening automatically after Match Day at all.

(If you have had any prematch offers, you WILL have 1 Match school. If you have had interviews but got no prematch offers, you can still get 1 Match school on Match Day, or you can get the message "No Match").

If you have a Match school, but later on get an offer from a Wait List (as in the Feb and April examples given) you will personally consider whether to accept that WL offer, or stick with your Match school. You must inform the WL school if you say "no". You must inform BOTH schools if you decide to say "yes" to the WL offer and drop your spot at the former Match school.

Yes, it's complicated. There are videos about it on TMDSAS and/or Texas Health Education Service web pages. I suggest you all read & watch them :)

@wysdoc - the video does not seem specific about what happens after match day.

Where is the documentation specific to WL offers process?

Clear as mud. JK makes sense, I got now. Thank you all!!

A school I interview told us that prematch offer will not be sent ou in Oct 15 this year. THey also mention that match day is now 3/5 instead of February. Im sure there are some TMDSAS representatives on this site so they can better answer your questions.

Are you talking about McGovern? They're not sending out prematches on Oct 15 this year?

Members don't see this ad :)
II just now! LM 70, complete 6/21

Edit: My letter packet didn’t arrive until mid-July so I was actually complete then

Reactions: 4 users
Just got an II! I'm ecstatic, all of my interviews so far have been from my hometown (UTMB, SHSU, UT McGovern).

3.71 uGPA, 4.0 grad GPA, 515 MCAT. Reapplicant from 2018, and retaking my MCAT this summer was easily the biggest improvement necessary for my application. I submitted my secondary sometime in mid-June.

The available interview dates were for 10/30 and the first couple weeks in November. Can't wait.

Edit: Also I'm ORM and a TX resident. Does anybody know what proportion of matriculants to UT med schools have to be graduates from UT itself? A friend of mine said somewhere between 20-30%.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
II just now as well! Good luck to all interviewing!

Just got an II! I'm ecstatic, all of my interviews so far have been from my hometown (UTMB, SHSU, UT McGovern).

3.71 uGPA, 4.0 grad GPA, 515 MCAT. Reapplicant from 2018, and retaking my MCAT this summer was easily the biggest improvement necessary for my application. I submitted my secondary sometime in mid-June.

The available interview dates were for 10/30 and the first couple weeks in November. Can't wait.

Edit: Also I'm ORM and a TX resident. Does anybody know what proportion of matriculants to UT med schools have to be graduates from UT itself? A friend of mine said somewhere between 20-30%.
Not sure there is such a thing as 20-30% have to be UT graduates.

90% have to be TX residents.

There is no such quota. UT is a huge school thus many pre-meds.

There is no such quota. UT is a huge school thus many pre-meds.

That's good to know, I thought maybe it was an unofficial quota. At least that's what my friend (M3 at McGovern) said.

II just now! Complete 7/8 but retook my mcat and second score sent on 8/25 so I guess it updated then

II received. completed 8/17

II received earlier today! First one of the cycle, so excited! IS, complete 7/14 and availability was first two weeks of November.

I got invited for an interview yesterday as well, complete 8/12

Pre-matched! Interviewed 9/25. First MD acceptance!

Pre-match acceptance received as well!! Interviewed last Friday :O

Nvm because I just looked at my email and IM GONNA BE A DOCTOR!! Prematch at 1:28 pm

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Pre-Match! Interviewed 10/2

Just got the pre-match! Feels surreal. Interviewed 9/18.

Accepted, interviewed on 9/18! This is so unreal, my top choice by far!

Dang lots of 10/2 people. I was 10/2 as well

same i was 10/2 but nothing on my end. hopefully, i'll get the good news during the next wave of pre-matches!

Congratulations to those of you who pre-matched! Hoping you choose to become a member of the McGovern family! SEE YOU NEXT FALL!

• Care