2020-2021 Wayne State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What is LIE if you don't mind me asking?
haha that i filled out 30 secondaries. bc i didn't actually submit /:

edit: I'm laughing really hard that you thought it was an acronym. i love that :')

acronyms stress me out so i feel that

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone attended their monthly coffee chats for prospective students?

What could possibly by their reasoning for actually wanting to interview over 1000 applicants? How do they even afford that resources-wise :oops:
I mean their incoming class is HUGE (almost 300) so I think that number is pretty on par if you consider how many offers they have to send out to get a class that big

Members don't see this ad :)
What could possibly by their reasoning for actually wanting to interview over 1000 applicants? How do they even afford that resources-wise :oops:

I'm a reapplicant and if I recall correctly, they interview about 1200 candidates and send out about 600 offers for 300 spots. They're a really big school.

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users
I haven't heard about those, are they open for anyone?
I'm pretty sure, I got an email for it last week. It wasn't like a special invite or anything.

Edit: Actually I might have seen it while perusing their website, oops!

Hello, I'm hoping someone can answer my question. I submitted my secondary application for Wayne at end of July, but since then I have rewritten my MCAT. Does anyone know if that score is automatically sent to the school post secondary submission?

Hello, I'm hoping someone can answer my question. I submitted my secondary application for Wayne at end of July, but since then I have rewritten my MCAT. Does anyone know if that score is automatically sent to the school post secondary submission?
Automatically

Reactions: 1 users
They don't screen right? I'm wondering where my secondary is. Maybe they are sending them in waves

Hi all! Current M2 here with an announcement about a curriculum change at WSUSOM. I know some of you are doing your research about the school to see if it's a good fit for you, but I wanted to let you know about an update that has caused a bunch of chaos here today:

Starting with my class (c/o 2023), the dedicated study time for STEP 1 has been shortened by 3 weeks to make room for a 3 week "orientation" course for clerkships. Now, we have only the month of February and the first week of March to study for and take STEP 1 as they did not eliminate or change all the required exams you still have to take in January (there will be most likely 4, all spread out over the month of January).

I feel like you guys deserve to know as many of you are still shopping around so to speak for med schools.

• Wow
Reactions: 10 users
Hi all! Current M2 here with an announcement about a curriculum change at WSUSOM. I know some of you are doing your research about the school to see if it's a good fit for you, but I wanted to let you know about an update that has caused a bunch of chaos here today:

Starting with my class (c/o 2023), the dedicated study time for STEP 1 has been shortened by 3 weeks to make room for a 3 week "orientation" course for clerkships. Now, we have only the month of February and the first week of March to study for and take STEP 1 as they did not eliminate or change all the required exams you still have to take in January (there will be most likely 4, all spread out over the month of January).

I feel like you guys deserve to know as many of you are still shopping around so to speak for med schools.
I bet that this will be a common change for many schools moving forward, now that step 1 has changed to P/F

Thank you for keeping us informed! Much appreciated

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Thank you for the heads up! If you'd be so kind to stick around to answer our questions, what led you to choose WSUCOM?

It is still 10 weeks of dedicated which is more than most schools.

It is still 10 weeks of dedicated which is more than most schools.
Where did you get 10 weeks? They said February (~ 4 weeks) and the first week of March (total of 5 weeks). I agree with @viralhiker, I'm sure programs will shorten dedicated (especially those that were on the longer side - sounds like WSUSOM were previously 8 weeks) due to the change to P/F.

Where did you get 10 weeks? They said February (~ 4 weeks) and the first week of March (total of 5 weeks). I agree with @viralhiker, I'm sure programs will shorten dedicated (especially those that were on the longer side - sounds like WSUSOM were previously 8 weeks) due to the change to P/F.
I go here. That person wasn't completely accurate. Dedicated starts jan and runs until mid March (10 weeks). It is not 4 to 5 weeks. The reason they excluded Jan was because students may have 2-3 days of required school stuff but to discredit a whole month for 2-3 days of school work doesn't make sense.

Thank you for the heads up! If you'd be so kind to stick around to answer our questions, what led you to choose WSUCOM?

It allowed me to live at home and commute, money is tight for me and I knew I had to choose a school close to home. I chose WSU over Oakland/Beaumont because WSU is cheaper and they do cadaveric dissections, only 6 med schools use cadavers for gross anatomy, everyone else just does some online stuff

Reactions: 3 users
I go here. That person wasn't completely accurate. Dedicated starts jan and runs until mid March (10 weeks). It is not 4 to 5 weeks. The reason they excluded Jan was because students may have 2-3 days of required school stuff but to discredit a whole month for 2-3 days of school work doesn't make sense.
I know, but M2s also have CEC clinic until the end of january so that's four exams + clinic duty. I personally don't care, I was going to take STEP 1 in February anyways, I'm just trying to keep an open mind and try and understand why so many people in my class were up in arms about this schedule change.

Howdy friends! My app was verified 9/24, received my secondary 9/25, still working on it. Really excited as I'm a current M.S. student at WSU's med school. Good luck to everyone. :hello:

Howdy friends! My app was verified 9/24, received my secondary 9/25, still working on it. Really excited as I'm a current M.S. student at WSU's med school. Good luck to everyone. :hello:

Howdy! And welcome!!

• Care
So no regular decision interview invites have been sent out here yet, correct?

INTERVIEWS COMING TMRW HUNDOOO, BET 10$ RNNNN

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users
Good luck to the 40 EDP applicants who receive their answer (theoretically) tomorrow. We're rooting for you :)

• Care
Reactions: 12 users
Ahh this waiting game is tiring, my anxiety is at peak levels lmao

• Care
Ahh this waiting game is tiring, my anxiety is at peak levels lmao
I like it. This way I can just keep thinking the only reason I don’t have an interview is because they aren’t sending them yet. I have to switch coping mechanisms once those IIs start rolling in.

• Care
  • Haha
Reactions: 8 users
I like it. This way I can just keep thinking the only reason I don’t have an interview is because they aren’t sending them yet. I have to switch coping mechanisms once those IIs start rolling in.

Can't relate at all as an overthinker.

I'm a reapplicant and last time, I got my II around mid-October. I tried to do everything as early as possible this time and for what? To end up on the same timeline? LOL

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Sorry if this was already answered but does this school screen? According to MSAR it says all secondaries sent out after being reviewed by the dean. But if they are getting 1000's of apps I'm a little skeptical l

B/c I applied yesterday and got a secondary today lol

Accepted!! Still recovering from a roller coaster of a day, but eternally grateful.

EDP Applicant
504 -> 502 -> 512
3.78 sGPA, 3.83 cGPA
Canadian

This cycle was the 3rd time I applied to Wayne State...never lose hope folks!!
Good luck to the rest of you!

• Love
Reactions: 37 users
Accepted!! Still recovering from a roller coaster of a day, but eternally grateful.

EDP Applicant
504 -> 502 -> 512
3.78 sGPA, 3.83 cGPA
Canadian

DUDE CONGRATS! And thank you for adding it was your 3rd time! I'm a reapplicant (2nd round) and hearing this gives me hope!

Reactions: 7 users

EDP Applicant
504 -> 502 -> 512
3.78 sGPA, 3.83 cGPA
Canadian

Congratulations!!! Is there something that you think was holding you back the last 2 times? & is this the first time you applied EDP?

Any current students willing to shoot me a DM regarding research opportunities at WSU? Just got accepted from EDP and looking to potentially start a research position before school starts.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
ready for the first II wave to hit like a tidal wave given that they have received most of their applications by now.
Bets that first regular MD IIs will be sent on October 2nd?

My post did not age well. Maybe Monday :/

But congrats to all EDPs who got in :)

Reactions: 4 users
Congratulations!!! Is there something that you think was holding you back the last 2 times? & is this the first time you applied EDP?

First time for EDP this year but I truly think two things made the difference for me 1) MCAT score (previously a 504 and 502, so I was really pushing it tbh) and 2) Much better PS

• Love