2020-2021 Wright State (Boonshoft)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know!! I was very shocked to say the least. I think it had to do with my interview date being close to the date they review apps. Also, both of my interviews went very well!!
Congratulations for the acceptance! Do you mind sharing your stats?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Congratulations for the acceptance! Do you mind sharing your stats?
Thank you! 505 MCAT, 3.65 cGPA, 3.46 sGPA, URM, and good ECs (lots of leadership, have worked over 1000 hrs with children, no research, 150 hrs or so of non-clinical volunteer, 50 hr shadowing multiple specialties, and over 5000 violin). Hope that helps!

Reactions: 4 users
Hey everyone, I'm an M2 at BSOM. Someone asked me some questions about the school in a private message, so I thought I'd post my answers here for others to read if interested:

We get a 6 week dedicated period, which is more than enough in my opinion. They cover the cost of two CBSEs, which are basically comprehensive practice exams you'll take before step. In my opinion, a medical school has very little impact on your board performance. You will see it really is dependent on your individual effort. For example, I've been using anki, studying from high-yield resources like first aid, and doing board-relevant practice questions since day 1 of medical school. So no matter where you go for medical school, how you do on STEP is really up to you.

There is some clinical exposure but not as much as you probably hope for. They have a program called Interprofessional Engagement (IPE) in which you shadow various healthcare workers like an ARNP, EMT, social worker, etc who are NOT doctors to give you a well-rounded exposure to the healthcare team. We have some student-run clinics in the area. Of course you are busy with the clinical medicine course at BSOM (where you do your SPEs, OSCEs, interviewing skills, etc). Many clubs offer shadowing/clinical experiences, and many of my classmates arrange shadowing on their own if you really wanted to get out and see more. So I think what's mandatory is just enough, but there are more opportunities to get in clinic if you wish. This has been more than enough for me. You have to get in the books to learn what the heck is going on in order to understand what's happening in clinic.

Yep, we're pass/fail. I HIGHLY recommend choosing a P/F medical school. You can focus on learning the material to understand it rather than memorize and brain dump for a grade. Honestly, I think P/F has made medical school less stressful than undergrad. It also allows you to focus on what's high-yield for boards rather than learn a ton of low-yield material your professor wants you to know haha.

I chose the school because of the atmosphere, it's by far the least-competitive I had seen from any med school I visited. BSOM is just a chill place. Everyone is so nice and friendly. These 4 years are difficult no matter where you go, you learn the same stuff and end up with the same result, so you might as well enjoy yourself and spend as little money as possible. Which is nice a segue into my second reason. BSOM gives OOS students in-state tuition starting their second year.

One final perk about BSOM is the curriculum. I love having a flipped classroom, I cannot imagine sitting through 8 hours of lecture a day. We have three hours of class a day, that's it. Of course you're preparing for class and studying for the rest of your day so it ends up being about the same amount of time. However, I feel like this form of active learning is a much more effective way of retaining material than passively absorbing it in a lecture.

Thank you for this thoughtful and detailed post! If I wasn't excited/apprehensive for my interview before, I sure am now.

• Care
Members don't see this ad :)
I recommend looking at the school specific interview information here on SDN regarding questions. It seemed to hold true.
I'm wondering if I'm looking in the right place. There is an absurdly long list of questions on the interview feedback page... did you guys prepare answers for all of them?

I'm wondering if I'm looking in the right place. There is an absurdly long list of questions on the interview feedback page... did you guys prepare answers for all of them?
I didn't, but think of it as a way to prep your brain a little bit. Can you answer why Wright State and why medicine? You're going to see those at most interviews, and if you can't articulate why you are good fit for the school and vice/versa then it will be a tough sell.
The biggest thing is to just relax. No different from meeting somebody for a cup of coffee or a beer. They ask a question and you don't have an answer off the top of your head? Ask for a second to think about it. I got stumped on one and ultimately veered into talking about fly-fishing. But it was all part of a genuine and regular conversation.
Ultimately if you are a normal, confident human that can hold a conversation and just be yourself, you'll be fine. They are already looking at you as a prospective physician and colleague. That should give you confidence right off the bat.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi guys!! There’s an accepted students GroupMe if anyone would like to join
You're invited to my new group 'Wright State (Boonshoft) SOM Accepted Students' on GroupMe. Click here to join: GroupMe

Reactions: 2 users
Just got the A! First one I'm so excited and I interviewed 10/7
Did any of you accepted ppl stay in contact with your faculty interviewer or emailed the medical students from the panel?

I quickly combed through this thread, but didn't see anything... when did y'all get the information/link for your interview? Mine is tomorrow but I haven't heard anything yet
I received my email with the link and info 4 days after my invite, which was about 3 weeks before the actual interview.

I quickly combed through this thread, but didn't see anything... when did y'all get the information/link for your interview? Mine is tomorrow but I haven't heard anything yet
i received about a 1 business day after submitting my virtual agreement

For those who were accepted, how long did it take to hear back after your interview? I interviewed 11/17 and am praying to hear back before a deposit to another school is due on 12/14! Boonshoft is my top choice!

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
I received my email with the link and info 4 days after my invite, which was about 3 weeks before the actual interview.
I'm a silly goose, I found it in my email. Thanks!

For those who were accepted, how long did it take to hear back after your interview? I interviewed 11/17 and am praying to hear back before a deposit to another school is due on 12/14! Boonshoft is my top choice!
They say 4-6 weeks and it took me the full 6 to hear back. They meet every other week and I think some people got the acceptance after 4. I think there's a chance you hear back before then and I hope you do!

sorry if this has been asked already but do they let people know about acceptances on Fridays? I interviewed on 11/4 and was wondering what day of the week most people have heard!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
sorry if this has been asked already but do they let people know about acceptances on Fridays? I interviewed on 11/4 and was wondering what day of the week most people have heard!
I heard on a Thursday but I'm not sure if other people have heard on other days.

Hey guys, quick question. I am submitting an update and wanted to make sure I’m doing it correctly. I uploaded it to the update section of the portal, but do I need to select “I’m done uploading documents” in order for them to see it? Or can they see it already now that I’ve uploaded it?

I also interviewed on the 24th and was really hoping they’d get back to us this week. I mean I KNEW they most likely wouldn’t, but the hope was still there!

I just loved this school! Congratulations to everyone who received an acceptance today!!

Really interested in this school but have been complete since 8/6... silent R you think?

Really interested in this school but have been complete since 8/6... silent R you think?
I don't think so. I have also been complete since early August, and last year I heard they didn't start looking at OOS applications until December. We're also in an unprecedented application cycle, so I encourage you to keep the faith. Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but I remind myself that "No news is good news."

Reactions: 7 users
Thanks for the in depth insight! If you don't mind answering: in your opinion, how are research opportunities for students? Is it limited and competitive or is there an ample pool of options and opportunity? Thank you in advance!
Sure, no problem! I would say yes and no. There are plenty of research opportunities in Dayton at the various hospitals, you just have to reach out to people. There is also a required research course called Scholarship in Medicine you must complete to graduate. I think they changed it around a lot for the first years so I'm not sure what it will be like in the coming years. For my class, it was a series of assignments that taught us how to be familiar with doing research/reading literature/writing papers. Then you must do a research project and present a poster to complete the course. I already did mine, it really wasn't all that bad. Plus it gives you something to put on your ERAS for research. I guess the only downside was I felt like the course made the research process very restrictive - meaning I had to submit everything to the school and have them approve it. But once your SCHM requirement is complete, you're free to do research as you please.

• Care
I had a few more questions...

I was wondering how your anatomy lab was. Do you get to dissect cadavers, and if so, how many students are there per cadaver?

Yup, we get to dissect! There are 6 students per cadaver. Each day, 2 students take turn dissecting. Later, the other 4 return to the lab and learn from the 2 students who dissected. I actually really liked the method because dissection takes a lot of time and energy. I liked my dissection days but I almost liked my days off better haha.

What makes Wright State special from other MD medical schools? If you had other acceptances, what did you love most about the school that made you choose Wright State?

Wright State is special because people genuinely care about you. They want to make sure you are still a whole person when you make it through medical school. Like for example, your first week of school is basically a giant social event to get to know your classmates. That first week we had a BBQ picnic at a park, a karaoke night at a bar (not technically endorsed by the school but I mean...), a pool party, an obstacle course, and more. Of course the work started shortly after that, but the point is they don't throw you into the fire and make you sink or swim. They genuinely want you to make friends and have a good time while you're here.

Is there are course that teaches you how to communicate with people of various backgrounds (cultures, ethnicities, LGBTQ+ individuals)?

Yes! First of all, you have a course I talked about called clinical medicine (usually every Friday during your first two years) in which you learn physical exam skills, clinical reasoning, and interviewing techniques. In that class, there are discussions on how to effectively interview patients from various backgrounds and build rapport. Plus there are clubs which promote these discussions. For example, there is a club called Boonshoft Pride which connects BSOM students to people in the LGBTQ+ community. Among many events, they have one in which people from the community come to school and you have the chance to interview them about their background.

So does anyone know if they only send out decisions on Thursdays? Or should I continue to neurotically refresh my email every day of the week?

So does anyone know if they only send out decisions on Thursdays? Or should I continue to neurotically refresh my email every day of the week?
They are sent out every 2 weeks on a Thursday because the committee does reviews on Wednesdays. The most recent release date was 12/3, the next will be 12/17 and so on. The school said it takes 4-6 weeks from the interview to get an answer.

They are sent out every 2 weeks on a Thursday because the committee does reviews on Wednesdays. The most recent release date was 12/3, the next will be 12/17 and so on. The school said it takes 4-6 weeks from the interview to get an answer.
has anyone waited more than six weeks on here by chance?

II, just now! Complete mid-september and IS. Interviews avaliable for early January. Very excited, thought they passed me up. Just goes to show we shouldn't lose hope, we're all still in the game!

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 11 users
II, just now! Complete mid-september and IS. Interviews avaliable for early January. Very excited, thought they passed me up. Just goes to show we shouldn't lose hope, we're all still in the game!
Congrats !!
Did you end up sending an update?

For those that interviewed, how long was your interview day in total? Just trying to work it around my schedule and want to know about how long the day lasted

Congrats !!
Did you end up sending an update?
I actually haven't sent any updates because I'm still waiting for my final grades to be listed on my transcript. I expect it to be finalized at the end of this week as my semester ended last week, so I'm not too sure if I should send an update now or wait until after my interview, which is in a few weeks??

Ooo makes sense to wait until you get it and then send whenever you can??
I’m debating if I should update because I have an updated MCAT score and I’m pretty sure they think I’m OOS because my permanent address doesn’t reflect my state residency lol
Have you sent any updates at all? Don't they allow for multiple updates? If so, if I were in your position I would certainly send an updated/improved mcat score combined with a continuing interest response as well as any other updates you may have. Tho some people say save your updates for post-interview/wait lists. I'm not too sure this is my 1st cycle and I'm just now getting responses from schools! You can also email admission to clarify your state residency?

• Love
For those that interviewed, how long was your interview day in total? Just trying to work it around my schedule and want to know about how long the day lasted
The schedule is up on the website for interview day info, but my day started at 11:30 and I was done a bit before 3.

The schedule is up on the website for interview day info, but my day started at 11:30 and I was done a bit before 3.
Oh, I didn’t see that they posted it on their site! Thank you so much:)

Anyone having trouble signing into their applicant gateway?

Do you guys think they will release acceptance decisions this Thursday? Since we are on holiday break I’m not sure if they will meet this week. I’m already tired of waiting 😭

Hey everyone! II received yesterday, complete 9/10. Just caught up on this thread and am super excited! Just wondering if anyone used a regular professional photo or if we are required to use the Passport Photobooth app they mention in the email?

Hey everyone! II received yesterday, complete 9/10. Just caught up on this thread and am super excited! Just wondering if anyone used a regular professional photo or if we are required to use the Passport Photobooth app they mention in the email?
I just used a regular professional photo and they didn't mind

What type of questions did the interviewers at wright state like to ask? It's my first time getting an interview so I want to prepare as much as possible.

Do you guys think they will release acceptance decisions this Thursday? Since we are on holiday break I’m not sure if they will meet this week. I’m already tired of waiting 😭
If I remember correctly, I believe that they said in my interview last week that the final admissions committee meeting of the year was this coming Wednesday 12/16 and decisions would be released on 12/17. However my interview day was not scheduled to be reviewed until 1/20/21. They are every other Wednesday and they will resume on 1/06/21.

• Love
If I remember correctly, I believe that they said in my interview last week that the final admissions committee meeting of the year was this coming Wednesday 12/16 and decisions would be released on 12/17. However my interview day was not scheduled to be reviewed until 1/20/21. They are every other Wednesday and they will resume on 1/06/21.
Thank you so much.

I just used a regular professional photo and they didn't mind
Did you use a Passport sized photo? I just realized that the photo I uploaded is way larger than a normal passport photo. It wouldn't be hard to adjust the size but I can't resubmit...do you think I should email them to ask if it's okay since they said to use the Passport app originally??