Hey everyone, I'm an M2 at BSOM. Someone asked me some questions about the school in a private message, so I thought I'd post my answers here for others to read if interested:
We get a 6 week dedicated period, which is more than enough in my opinion. They cover the cost of two CBSEs, which are basically comprehensive practice exams you'll take before step. In my opinion, a medical school has very little impact on your board performance. You will see it really is dependent on your individual effort. For example, I've been using anki, studying from high-yield resources like first aid, and doing board-relevant practice questions since day 1 of medical school. So no matter where you go for medical school, how you do on STEP is really up to you.
There is some clinical exposure but not as much as you probably hope for. They have a program called Interprofessional Engagement (IPE) in which you shadow various healthcare workers like an ARNP, EMT, social worker, etc who are NOT doctors to give you a well-rounded exposure to the healthcare team. We have some student-run clinics in the area. Of course you are busy with the clinical medicine course at BSOM (where you do your SPEs, OSCEs, interviewing skills, etc). Many clubs offer shadowing/clinical experiences, and many of my classmates arrange shadowing on their own if you really wanted to get out and see more. So I think what's mandatory is just enough, but there are more opportunities to get in clinic if you wish. This has been more than enough for me. You have to get in the books to learn what the heck is going on in order to understand what's happening in clinic.
Yep, we're pass/fail. I HIGHLY recommend choosing a P/F medical school. You can focus on learning the material to understand it rather than memorize and brain dump for a grade. Honestly, I think P/F has made medical school less stressful than undergrad. It also allows you to focus on what's high-yield for boards rather than learn a ton of low-yield material your professor wants you to know haha.
I chose the school because of the atmosphere, it's by far the least-competitive I had seen from any med school I visited. BSOM is just a chill place. Everyone is so nice and friendly. These 4 years are difficult no matter where you go, you learn the same stuff and end up with the same result, so you might as well enjoy yourself and spend as little money as possible. Which is nice a segue into my second reason. BSOM gives OOS students in-state tuition starting their second year.
One final perk about BSOM is the curriculum. I love having a flipped classroom, I cannot imagine sitting through 8 hours of lecture a day. We have three hours of class a day, that's it. Of course you're preparing for class and studying for the rest of your day so it ends up being about the same amount of time. However, I feel like this form of active learning is a much more effective way of retaining material than passively absorbing it in a lecture.