2021-2022 Emory

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It is difficult to say. Emory is an extremely competitive school, and they do not send any rejections until the end of interview season. For what it's worth, I'm in the same boat.
+1

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
+1 but honestly this school was a slight reach for me so I wouldn’t be surprised
same. IS with connections to the school and thought i'd have a chance :( good luck everyone!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Any news? Anyone’s portal update?
No portal update, but informed delivery said “a piece of mail that we don’t have an image for is included in today’s mail”. Gonna look like a real clown if this is just an extended car warranty offer 🤡

• Haha
No portal update, but informed delivery said “a piece of mail that we don’t have an image for is included in today’s mail”. Gonna look like a real clown if this is just an extended car warranty offer 🤡
Dude me too. I’m like it better be Emory 😂. Why couldn’t they get a pic :(

No update in portal but I saw the pic on Informed Delivery! I think it’s safe to assume I got the A

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
What region are y'all from?

Last edited by a moderator:
What region are y'all from? Currently at my university in the Northeast so can't sign up for Informed Delivery and not sure if I should expect any mail today
I’m IS (only a few miles from Emory). It may take a while to arrive elsewhere.

GOT THE A!!! LETS GO

edit: interviewed late oct and my A was on the portal!

• Love
Members don't see this ad :)
if we interviewed in September and haven't heard back should we take it as a soft R?

Accepted via the portal earlier this morning! LM 77.5 OOS URM. Interviewed late October.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Portal hasn't updated for me, and there was just a magazine in the mail from Orvis lmao. I guess I didn't get the A today, but congrats to those of you that did :)

Anyone accepted today that interviewed in September? Seems to be no evidence of anyone being accepted after the first wave they were eligible for in the previous Emory years. Seems straight to waitlist/rejection.

Last year, they filled nearly 72% of class with women applicants, even though the spread between men & women applicants (44% to 56%) was not that wide. This has to be deliberate, no other school has this large spread between matriculant sexes. Interesting!
Screen Shot 2021-11-19 at 10.51.03 PM.png

Last year, they filled nearly 72% of class with women applicants, even though the spread between men & women applicants (44% to 56%) was not that wide. This has to be deliberate, no other school has this large spread between matriculant sexes. Interesting!View attachment 345983

Jesus dude that’s nuts

Last year, they filled nearly 72% of class with women applicants, even though the spread between men & women applicants (44% to 56%) was not that wide. This has to be deliberate, no other school has this large spread between matriculant sexes. Interesting!View attachment 345983
Without numbers of who was accepted you cannot make the assumption that it was deliberate. The school can’t control which kinds of people end up matriculating after they’re accepted?

Reactions: 3 users
Where are these number coming from? They seem crazy because they are! MSAR shows 76 out of 136, or 56%, of matriculants are female! :)

Without numbers of who was accepted you cannot make the assumption that it was deliberate. The school can’t control which kinds of people end up matriculating after they’re accepted?
As I pointed out, I am pretty sure the posted numbers are just wrong. But schools can and do control the composition of their classes, both by using educated guesses based on prior experience regarding who is likely to accept an offer of admission, and, more significantly, by being conservative in issuing initial acceptances and then using the WL to fill out the class to their precise specifications (M/F, IS/OOS. race, SES, geography, etc.).

Yes, thanks! Your data is clearly the most recent, and direct from the school. MSAR must not have been updated yet. The only explanation is that Emory must not care at all about having a M/F balance because, as I said above, schools can and do control the composition of their class through use of the WL.

Yea that’s prob the most likely reason, the post-A matriculation rate for women being far greater than Men.
This seems like an outlier year, and not reflective of a larger trend at Tulane. That’s still so crazy though.

As I pointed out, I am pretty sure the posted numbers are just wrong. But schools can and do control the composition of their classes, both by using educated guesses based on prior experience regarding who is likely to accept an offer of admission, and, more significantly, by being conservative in issuing initial acceptances and then using the WL to fill out the class to their precise specifications (M/F, IS/OOS. race, SES, geography, etc.).
Yea that’s all true but at the end of the day it’s not up to them who ultimately decides to matriculate or not. All I’m saying is that there’s no way we can say this this was a deliberate effort on their part just based on these numbers alone.

Yea that’s all true but at the end of the day it’s not up to them who ultimately decides to matriculate or not. All I’m saying is that there’s no way we can say this this was a deliberate effort on their part just based on these numbers alone.
I partially agree with you. There is absolutely no reason for it to have been deliberate, but they 1,000,000% could have avoided it had they cared to do so, just based on the numbers alone.

As most schools do with most demographics, they could first have kept the initial acceptances close to the number of actual seats they had to fill, and those initial acceptances could have had a M/F split however Emory chose. When early returns started coming in heavily favoring females, most or all of the calls off the WL could have been to well qualified males.

This is precisely how schools achieve diversity across whatever metrics they care about -- IS/OOS, race, SES, anything that can be asked about on a application. Sex is by far the easiest one to actually achieve, due to the overwhelming number of highly qualified candidates of both sexes that apply to each and every school, each and every year. By allowing it to go to a 28/72 split, Emory clearly did not care at all, at least not last year, and apparently made no effort to achieve balance.

Of course, this does not mean they actually wanted a 72% female class, so no one should infer that from the result. OTOH, it is fiction to claim that any school has no control over who decides to matriculate. They have total control, since one cannot matriculate without first being admitted, and most schools can and do use the WL to fine tune a class to its preference. The fact that Emory made no such effort indicates they are fine with 101 females in a class of 141, even if that was not their goal.

• Dislike
As most schools do with most demographics, they could first have kept the initial acceptances close to the number of actual seats they had to fill, and those initial acceptances could have had a M/F split however Emory chose. When early returns started coming in heavily favoring females, most or all of the calls off the WL could have been to well qualified males.

This is precisely how schools achieve diversity across whatever metrics they care about -- IS/OOS, race, SES, anything that can be asked about on a application. Sex is by far the easiest one to actually achieve, due to the overwhelming number of highly qualified candidates of both sexes that apply to each and every school, each and every year. By allowing it to go to a 28/72 split, Emory clearly did not care at all, at least not last year, and apparently made no effort to achieve balance.

Of course, this does not mean they actually wanted a 72% female class, so no one should infer that from the result. OTOH, it is fiction to claim that any school has no control over who decides to matriculate. They have total control, since one cannot matriculate without first being admitted, and most schools can and do use the WL to fine tune a class to its preference. The fact that Emory made no such effort indicates they are fine with 101 females in a class of 141, even if that was not their goal.
Even with all that said, Emory cannot FORCE anyone to matriculate if they don’t want to. In that way, they can admit as many people as they want with whatever demographics and that still does not negate the fact that admitted students have the OPTION to matriculate or not. While the probability is low, it could be fully possible for them to admit way more males than females and then every female matriculates but only a handful of men do, resulting in a dramatic shift in demographic. What are they going to do, rescind people’s admittance? Increase class size beyond what they’re comfortable? Just because someone is admitted off the waitlist doesn’t mean they’re automatically going.

Nothing that you said proves that this was a deliberate act on their part or even that they didn’t care about preventing it? We would need to know what their acceptance numbers by gender look like in order to make any sort of conclusion about intent, and nobody but them have those numbers lmao.

I respectfully disagree. According to them, they had 10,861 completed applications last year, and interviewed 669 applicants. Assuming they cared about maintaining a balance, half of them could have been male and, since they had 10,861 completed applications to choose from, it's probably safe to assume that all of the 334 males interviewed would be decent if not superlative fits in their class.

If Emory sends out 150 initial As, 50-50 M/F, and ALL females accept and NONE of the males do, that gives them a class with 75 females and 66 open seats. If they cared, they could call 66 males off the WL, and then keep making calls until they have 66 males in the class.

If you want keep going, sure, at some point theoretically they run out of males if males are boycotting the school for some reason. But in the real world, schools can and do mold classes each year and get pretty close to their targets. I think what I said proves they didn't care about the M/F ratio last year. If they did, then someone in admissions probably needs to be replaced because they suck at their job.

The idea that males are just staying clear of Emory for no apparent reason is pretty ridiculous in my opinion. It’s clear this was an outcome that was targeted/pushed for

The idea that males are just staying clear of Emory for no apparent reason is pretty ridiculous in my opinion. It’s clear this was an outcome that was targeted/pushed for

Is there a history of them increasing their women representation over the past few years?

This is all speculation, but perhaps they’ve made efforts to increase women matriculants at their school, and this was done by slowly increasing the woman:man acceptance ratio..and this particular year just so happened to be the year where they Accepted a lot and then women decided to matriculate in a pattern that wasn’t reflective of previous years.

Idk if that makes sense or not.

I don't disagree, but I'm also just not ready to make that leap. I think it's more likely that they were just more focused on other metrics, like URM and low SES, and simply took their eye off the M/F ball.

Is there a history of them increasing their women representation over the past few years?

This is all speculation, but perhaps they’ve made efforts to increase women matriculants at their school, and this was done by slowly increasing the woman:man acceptance ratio..and this particular year just so happened to be the year where they Accepted a lot and then women decided to matriculate in a pattern that wasn’t reflective of previous years.

Idk if that makes sense or not.
Anything is possible, but again, if it happened as you suggest and if they cared about addressing it, that's what other schools use the WL for. Most schools plan to make at least limited use of their WL for just this purpose.

Misjudging their yield to the point of no WL movement is certainly possible (not sure whether or not it happened last year at Emory) AND making such a misjudgment that they end up with 72% female when they were shooting for ~50% would be pretty incredible. It's just more likely that they weren't looking at M/F at all, and just allowed the chips to fall where they did.

Edit: I just checked last year's thread, and there was NO reported WL movement. This makes it more likely that someone screwed up with respect to the ratio of M/F As (or the resulting yield), and they then had no chance to address it through the WL, rather than an intent to construct a class that is 72% female.

Last edited:
  • Angry
a) Numbers are correct. You can have your opinions and interpretations, but numbers are fact. b) This is the only college with such a large skew. Trust me, I do numbers. This is not reflective of trend across all colleges. And if they "screwed up" as hypothesized, then it begs the question - what else did they screw up on? Somebody from Emory need to explain, but they will not. Because they don't have to. In my view, this "holistic admission process" at all medical schools is a code word for "we can do whatever we want to do, do not have to explain it to anyone, suck it up and go to SDN to participate in conspiracy theories, but we ain't changing". For a profession that values transparency, the gatekeepers sure aren't. Just my $0.02

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
havent heard anything and complete in early/mid july... soft R?
Also complete mid July and just got an II so it is not over! Interview dates mid December

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Interviewed 10/11 got the A in the mail 11/23! Secondary was finished 7/20. Good luck to everyone still waiting!

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Hey everyone!

I've got an interview coming up on the 10th and just wanted to ask what everyone's experience was like on interview day. I've never had a group interview so I'm particularly interested in insight into this aspect of the day. Thanks in advance and good luck to anyone still waiting on news.