2021-2022 UNC, Chapel Hill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
"Application Status - Decided" This is my Current application Status and haven't received any emails, I submitted my secondary on September 15th. Should I be worried? anyone else have the same status without an email?
I got the same message in my portal and I haven't interviewed 🤥

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do they send pre-II rejection emails? Or is it just popping up in your portals

Do they send pre-II rejection emails? Or is it just popping up in your portals

Check your portal for your decision status. I saw that they had decided something on Friday, but didn’t get an email with an official rejection until this morning

Check your portal for your decision status. I saw that they had decided something on Friday, but didn’t get an email with an official rejection until this morning
Gotcha, thanks! I haven't had any update via portal or email despite being complete early August so I was confused. I hope the rest of this cycle goes well for you!

Reactions: 1 user
Is silence good at this school or not so much?

Is silence good at this school or not so much?
It seems like they've started sending pre-II rejections recently, so I would take no news as somewhat neutral/positive? But thats just my guess

Reactions: 1 users
Do we think that means no more IIs will be sent out? I'm a IS re-app that's losing hope :(
Last year they sent a wave of OOS Pre-II Rs then IS Pre-II Rs the month after. I do not remember if there were any IIs between them.

Got the R this morning. Disappointed as this is my Alma mater and I have strong ties, but not unduly surprised.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sorry, this has probably been already asked in the thread but the keep offering interviews into January correct?
It's unclear because this and last cycle have been so weird but they will probably have a non-zero # of interviews

I'm sorry, this has probably been already asked in the thread but the keep offering interviews into January correct?
I believe so, but you’d have to go through last year’s thread to double check. I know I had friends interviewing February 1, but I don’t remember if they received those invites in January or December. Regardless, you have a few more weeks before giving up hope.

I’m so sorry to hear that. Was this pre-II or post-II?
So sorry! OOS or IS? Pre or post II?
Pre-II and OOS technically, but I lived in NC for nearly 20 years and my parents still live in the northeast corner of the state. I'm fortunate to have other interviews, but a part of me hoped to complete some sort of grand reunion arc lol

• Care
Does this school typically interview a lot of people OOS? I haven’t heard anything yet and that makes me somewhat hopeful but I know it may be a delayed R, hahaha. I was complete 8/2.

It means they don’t do pre-interview acceptances.
I am stupid. I inflected the tone like “you can only get accepted…” vs “…accepted post-interview.”

Last edited:
Does this school typically interview a lot of people OOS? I haven’t heard anything yet and that makes me somewhat hopeful but I know it may be a delayed R, hahaha. I was complete 8/2.
I’m in the same boat as you! Complete 8/1 OOS (but some ties to the state as I did research at Duke last year), hoping the best for us :)

Hi friends <3 wondering if more ppl who interviewed in oct have heard back??? Thought my interviews (10/8) went super well but the app is still “awaiting decision” and I’m losing hope with every passing day :(((

Hi friends <3 wondering if more ppl who interviewed in oct have heard back??? Thought my interviews (10/8) went super well but the app is still “awaiting decision” and I’m losing hope with every passing day :(((
I interviewed 10/1 and havent heard back yet, so also getting worried. I was waitlisted last year (they sent the waitlist decision in early spring) and this is my #1 choice! Fingers crossed for good news in December!

Reactions: 2 users
Interviewed Oct 18. Still haven't heard back either. This is my first choice so it's a bit nerve-wracking, but I'm just trying to be patient... 6 weeks later

I don’t remember if anyone has said it earlier but UNC likes to send to send out decisions at the last minute. I interviewed early November last year and didn’t hear back until March. Soo we’re going to be waiting a minute

I don’t remember if anyone has said it earlier but UNC likes to send to send out decisions at the last minute. I interviewed early November last year and didn’t hear back until March. Soo we’re going to be waiting a minute
Ahhh gotcha… I remember vaguely during my interview they said they’d send decisions out in Dec— would that probs be a relatively small batch and the rest of us would hear back in the new year?

Ahhh gotcha… I remember vaguely during my interview they said they’d send decisions out in Dec— would that probs be a relatively small batch and the rest of us would hear back in the new year?
Yeah. At least that’s how it was last cycle

I am in the same boat. Interviewed 10/15.

• Care
Since this is my 3rd interview with UNC ill post what i've seen are common trends. For the past two years they will send out acceptances randomly throughout the process since they are a rolling admin, but mid-late December-January is typically when most hear back (2 years ago they sent out pre-interview rejections new years eve). Acceptances usually slow down after January, but they don't stop due to people rejecting offers and such. For those who interviewed, March is when waitlist and post interview rejections are typically notified.

That being said, after your interview it is a waiting game and it is the only time when you can not do anything else. UNC has a very private process in comparison to other schools. They do not give out updates. Through all of this it is VITAL to enjoy your self. You've put your best foot forward and have to trust in yourself. Take a break from SDN. It is my 3rd time applying and being waitlisted the past two years at UNC and am currently post interview this cycle. Trust me I know the anxiety and loss of hope feeling all too well, but whether or not you are accepted into a school DOES NOT determine your worth. Enjoy your holidays and take that step back from the application cycle. Stay strong kings and queens

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 17 users
Just curious if any has experience interviewing this late. If someone interviews December or in January, are they essentially interviewing for a spot the waitlist or do they still have a shot at an acceptance?

Just curious if any has experience interviewing this late. If someone interviews December or in January, are they essentially interviewing for a spot the waitlist or do they still have a shot at an acceptance?
100% still interviewing for a spot. I interviewed in December and now I'm a third year. I know people who interviewed in January/February who also got in. You're always being considered for a spot. That's why UNC frequently gives so many of their answers in March after interviews are all done.

Reactions: 7 users
100% still interviewing for a spot. I interviewed in December and now I'm a third year. I know people who interviewed in January/February who also got in. You're always being considered for a spot. That's why UNC frequently gives so many of their answers in March after interviews are all done.
Thank you so much for this. You have alleviated some anxiety over here!

Hi! I saw up thread that you'd said if we had questions we could message you (unless I read wrong and misinterpreted it). Is that still the case? If so I did message you with some questions. Thanks for any help you can offer! :)

Any tips on this interview? I've never done a MMI before so any insight is appreciated.

I would also love MMI tips since I received an II this week :)
They had dates available through Jan for those still waiting to hear back! I’m an IS reapp

Any tips on this interview? I've never done a MMI before so any insight is appreciated.
I found a lot of great resources online to help prepare for mine. Unlike the traditional interview they are more focused on scenarios than your resume, but your lived experiences influence how you see the world, so definitely use them if they apply! I found this pdf online which was useful to look over.

Since you are answering multiple questions with different people it is important to refresh yourself mentally if you think you did poorly on one question. This was the first part of my interview and the first question kinda through me for a loop, but for the rest of the questions I got into the groove of the interview and was able to answer them very well! These are still conversations, so stating your opinion and making sure that you have enough time for them to ask questions and answer what they ask is also important.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Also received the "Decided" status on my portal (on an unknown date, although discovered yesterday), with no email yet. Should I just assume this is a rejection? Or have people gotten a "decision" about an interview? I'm not a fan of this ambiguity!

• Care
Also received the "Decided" status on my portal (on an unknown date, although discovered yesterday), with no email yet. Should I just assume this is a rejection? Or have people gotten a "decision" about an interview? I'm not a fan of this ambiguity!
that’s an R dude, sorry. Mind sharing when you were complete?

OOS no ties ORM pre-II R complete late July. This was a reach for me anyway so I'm not too upset. Good luck to everyone else applying!