2021-2022 Pittsburgh

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Alright someone check my math here for last year:

913 Interviews
299 Accepted (including those that were on waitlist)
65 People got off the waitlist
Meaning 299-65 = 234 received immediate acceptance

913-234 = 679 interviewees were WL or R, but let’s just say majority were WL

so 65 / 679 = a rough 10% WL movement?
Seems pretty logical but also they told us on interview day that this year they would only be interviewing 800, the admissions lady said they overshot it last time - so may wanna redo calculations based on that :)
(still seems like ~12% movement, but we aren't excluding Rs here so theres probably a better chance than that)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
For those accepted, is there any payment you have to make to hold your place?

Got the R...
This one hurts more than anything. Pitt was my dream school and I really felt good about my chances. This was my last chance at getting into med school for this cycle, which is already my 2nd cycle applying. Not really sure what to do at this point...

Good news for those on the waitlist though: With a good number of Rs given out and a normal number of interviews (compared to last year), this year should be one of the highest for WL movement.

• Care
Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Got the R...
This one hurts more than anything. Pitt was my dream school and I really felt good about my chances. This was my last chance at getting into med school for this cycle, which is already my 2nd cycle applying. Not really sure what to do at this point...

Good news for those on the waitlist though: With a good number of Rs given out and a normal number of interviews (compared to last year), this year should be one of the highest for WL movement.

I know how horrible it feels. I also didn’t get the wrong outcome I was hoping for today. Keep your head up because I am confident that you will be an amazing doctor

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
waitlist, my dream school and my interviewer said I was a perfect fit and should expect good news so it really stings

WL. Pain. Kinda expected it though cause I didn't vibe at all with the interviewers.

WL although I was confident.

WL for me, congrats to all the ballers out there, currently taking spare seat donations
Agh so unfortunate - I've seen y'all in here and was so hoping for you to get it

Ended up with the A - must've been lucky with interviewers and whatnot - but I'm not totally sold on Pitt. I think I'll withdraw tonight so they can give away my seat quickly. Hope it can go to another one of you SDN peeps!

• Care
Reactions: 17 users
2020:
1. Initial decisions released 1/29
2. First WL movement 2/27
3. Second WL movement 4/9

2021:
1. Initial decisions released 2/19
2. First WL movement 3/25
3. No second WL movement

Reactions: 5 users
Seems pretty logical but also they told us on interview day that this year they would only be interviewing 800, the admissions lady said they overshot it last time - so may wanna redo calculations based on that :)
On the day I interviewed, they mentioned that they had ~9000 apps, gonna do 800 interviews, and admit 300-350. No mention of WL data

2020:
1. Initial decisions released 1/29
2. First WL movement 2/27
3. Second WL movement 4/9

2021:
1. Initial decisions released 2/19
2. First WL movement 3/25
3. No second WL movement
This is super reassuring! Here's to hoping we get two WL waves this year and those 65+ A's

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Got the R...

One of my friends (a reapplicant) just got an II to Einstein TODAY. The cycle ain’t over until it’s over!

here’s a link to the groupme for admitted students.

cant wait to meet everyone!

For those accepted, is there any payment you have to make to hold your place?
I didn't see any information about holding a seat. I'm hoping more info will come out once the email is sent?

Got the R...

I can totally relate since it's my second cycle too and it's not looking great. But don't feel discouraged since you managed to get this far. Interview at Pitt is already a huge accomplishment. You got this.

"Luck is when opportunity meets preparation..."

• Care
Members don't see this ad :)
WL thru portal. sucks cuz i thought the interview went very well. I think this is waitlist #7 for me now. 🙃

• Care
WL #5 for me with no acceptances, and getting super discouraged :(

• Care
Rejected :/ was sending a LOI 1/10 too late for decisions here? I had updated them in December but do we think that was reviewed at least?

Rejected :/ was sending a LOI 1/10 too late for decisions here? I had updated them in December but do we think that was reviewed at least?
I'm so sorry to hear that! I sent an update 1/7, but no idea if they read it (WL)

I know this is probably a really stupid question but there's no way the portal will change or that anything is uncertain until the email about it comes right? It's my only A and my extreme anxiety about this whole process has me worried that I'm not actually in😭so I need the validation of strangers on the internet to assuage my fears once and for all haha

I know this is probably a really stupid question but there's no way the portal will change or that anything is uncertain until the email about it comes right? It's my only A and my extreme anxiety about this whole process has me worried that I'm not actually in😭so I need the validation of strangers on the internet to assuage my fears once and for all haha
Haha. I feel the same way. Fill out the admission data from and it’ll send you a basic email lol

Haha thanks! Are the admission data forms just general for accepted students, or for actually committing to the school?
no idea. might want to hold off on that, but i doubt filling out the form on accident will commit you to UPSOM.

Haha thanks! Are the admission data forms just general for accepted students, or for actually committing to the school?
I filled them out. As far as i know, nothing is binding until you start doing AMCAS stuff. I think it’s like CTE is when it’s technically binding

Does anyone know whether second look will be in person or what the plan is?

Can any current student talk about if they’ve ever seen someone pursuing research outside of UPSOM for the longitudinal research project? My current job is with a federal lab which has projects within the medical field, and I was wondering if there’s any way I could do my LRP with this outside institution so I can get paid for the research I’d have to do anyways to graduate?
Not a current student but on my interview day, someone asked this same exact question and they said it was okay as long as the research office approves the work you're doing and it is medically relevant.

WL via the portal….. sad because Pitt is my top choice. Glad I have backups though🥺🥲

• Care
There’s no merit-based aid here, right? And also Pitt doesn’t match need-based aid going off previous years?

Just got the A this morning! Does anyone know where we submit the financial aid forms?

I interviewed with Pitt back in November, but have not heard anything about admissions decision. I thought they were releasing those at the end of this month, anyone else just not heard anything at all?

I interviewed with Pitt back in November, but have not heard anything about admissions decision. I thought they were releasing those at the end of this month, anyone else just not heard anything at all?
check your portal

Can people on waitlist confirm this is the message you got:
"The Admissions Committee of the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine has decided to place you on the waitlist at this time. In the spring, the Committee will be giving your application further consideration and begin offering admission to the applicants on the wait list."

Curious if there are different messages for tier 1 and tier 2 as a way of figuring out which one we're on.

"The Admissions Committee of the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine has decided to place you on the waitlist at this time. In the spring, the Committee will be giving your application further consideration and begin offering admission to the applicants on the wait list."

Curious if there are different messages for tier 1 and tier 2 as a way of figuring out which one we're on.
I also have that exact same WL message

Reactions: 4 users

Will the admissions office tell us which tier we are on if we ask them?

Will the admissions office tell us which tier we are on if we ask them?
Probably not if they didn't initially, but I guess there's a chance? Looked through last years thread and didn't see anything but also possible that no one tried.

Does anyone know if they will notify us if we get off the waitlist? Or do we have to check the portal frequently?

Does anyone know if they will notify us if we get off the waitlist? Or do we have to check the portal frequently?
Looks like 2020 was portal change and email about PREP to people that got As off waitlist. 2021 was an acceptance email and portal change. Honestly seems like its different every year so who knows hahaha

Probably not if they didn't initially, but I guess there's a chance? Looked through last years thread and didn't see anything but also possible that no one tried.
I'll venmo $5 to anyone brave enough to call admissions and ask about waitlist tiers/how many people are on the waitlist this year

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
does the turn around for a LOI after being waitlisted have to be super quick? i'm in the process of drafting mine and really wanna take the time to do it right

Weird update: I just got an email to schedule a “re-interview”. Called Ms. Mary Pace and scheduled it for next Friday 2/11. Has anyone ever seen this before? A second interview?
Think you are in the wrong thread. Mary pace is admin at another school

Did anyone actually end up receiving an email to check the portal at any point? I never actually did. I did receive the email for financial aid and then the confirmation email when I filled out the Admission Data Form, but I never got a portal update email and I'm curious if others did