2021-2022 SUNY, Downstate (Brooklyn)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks for the information, did you feel the questions asked were pretty generic or were there any curve ball questions that you would say you had a difficult time answering?

edit: how long does the response to the picture take? I'm worried I won't make it by the 4 pm est deadline
Very generic questions, no curve balls! The picture response honestly took like fifteen minutes, it's a very simple assignment.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone that applied 7/12 just had silence so far? (IS)

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Complete 7/28, OOS nothing so far. Dad did residency there, so thought I had some ties

Congrats! Mine was very casual, interviewer was super nice. Mostly just had a conversation but he did mention he had some questions from the adcom that he needed to fill out so I gave my answers to those (they were about specific ECs, classes, etc.). Really enjoyed speaking with him.

Writing exercise is writing a paragraph describing an image they assign you. I imagine it's for getting a writing sample of some sort. Other than that, there was another phone interview with a student a few days later, mostly just conversation with some questions here and there. Good opportunity to learn more about the school environment as a student.

Overall, really good vibes from both the interviewer and student!
Thank you so much! This is all so good to hear. Thanks for the heads up about the phone interview!

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Hey do you mind sharing LM and if your urm/orm. Thanks and congrats again!
Thank you! It's all in the signature! I'm also an in-state resident with family in the area and a good mission fit.

II today!! IS, LM 72 Completed 08/11

Should I contact them about the interview date? The website only showed me one date in April. 😅 I am not sure if it's tech error or there are already zillion students filled up the interview slots.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
II today!! IS, LM 72 Completed 08/11

Should I contact them about the interview date? The website only showed me one date in April. 😅 I am not sure if it's tech error or there are already zillion students filled up the interview slots.
Just fixed it! It was a glitch and got one in Nov. Good luck to everyone!

What's the earliest interview date at this point?
After I emailed the office and they fixed the glitch. I still only saw one date in November. It seems like that they open up slots one by one as they extend out the invitations. Just my hunch.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did my interview this week, no clue how I did. I read others here had hour long interviews but mine was 30 minutes lol. Can anyone tell me when to expect the student interviewer to contact you, its been a few days and I haven't heard from anyone. Thank you.

Does anyone know if the student interview is weighed the same as the faculty interview? My faculty interview lasted a little over an hour and my student interview was 30 min but i felt like I interviewed so much better with the student.

I interviewed a week or so ago, and just received an email asking me to answer some more essay questions (that were specific to my application and experiences). did anyone else receive a similar request? I have never heard of Downstate doing this before. (this is different from the writing assignment that we complete on interview day)

For those who have interviewed already, does the school give you any info on your interviewer beforehand?

For those who have interviewed already, does the school give you any info on your interviewer beforehand?
Yes! They sent me a reminder of my interview with the faculty member and the zoom link to the interview the day before the interview. Then after the interview, they ask you to complete a photo assignment by 4 PM. And Finally, a student will contact you to schedule a peer-to-peer conversation between you two.

does the peer-to-peer conversation get scored or something? was a bit more formal than I expected (esp w the questions I was asked)

i wud expect downstate to have the busiest NY school thread, but here we r, still on page 3… where my II @?

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
They put me on hold since 6/28 until the end of the year 🙃

• Sad
I feel like this thread would be busier if Downstate had rolling admissions. The waiting till February game is painful as someone who interviewed first week of September.

Did my interview this week, no clue how I did. I read others here had hour long interviews but mine was 30 minutes lol. Can anyone tell me when to expect the student interviewer to contact you, its been a few days and I haven't heard from anyone. Thank you.
I heard from mine on the same day as my faculty interview. I would reach out to the school if you still haven't heard back

Anyone know if SUNY Downstate accepts post-II update letters? Couldn't find much info on this.

Yes! They sent me a reminder of my interview with the faculty member and the zoom link to the interview the day before the interview. Then after the interview, they ask you to complete a photo assignment by 4 PM. And Finally, a student will contact you to schedule a peer-to-peer conversation between you two.
Did you get the name(s) of who interviewed you?

Did you get the name(s) of who interviewed you?
yes, they send you the info and position of your faculty interviewer and then your student interviewer reaches out to you separately via email typically

What have been people's experiences with the student interview? Seems like there's some variation in how casual vs. formal it was?

What have been people's experiences with the student interview? Seems like there's some variation in how casual vs. formal it was?
mine was kind of formal. it was clear that she was just reading off a list of questions that she needed to get through

mine was kind of formal. it was clear that she was just reading off a list of questions that she needed to get through
Gotcha. Would you say most of it was just her asking you questions, or did you get a chance to ask her about her time at downstate?

Gotcha. Would you say most of it was just her asking you questions, or did you get a chance to ask her about her time at downstate?
she left time at the end for me to ask her questions, and that's when I think I got to have more of a conversation with her

the student had a list of questions they needed to ask (they straight up said, these are the questions we were told to ask), some convo in between with time at the end to ask questions about their time at Suny Dowstate. the whole thing was 30 min total!

Did anyone else get a question prompt to answer a couple weeks after their interview? Not the picture one, it asked if you were prepared to care for the underserved communities Downstate is committed to?

Did anyone else get a question prompt to answer a couple weeks after their interview? Not the picture one, it asked if you were prepared to care for the underserved communities Downstate is committed to?
I didn't get that specific questions, but I got three other ones that were related to my experiences. Did they also only give you less than a day to respond?

I didn't get that specific questions, but I got three other ones that were related to my experiences. Did they also only give you less than a day to respond?
Does everyone get these...? Interviewed about a month ago and haven't received any questions

Does anybody know when the majority of IIs will go out for downstate? Or did the majority already go out? Losing hope here

Reactions: 5 users