2021-2022 SUNY, Downstate (Brooklyn)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I didn't get that specific questions, but I got three other ones that were related to my experiences. Did they also only give you less than a day to respond?
Not one day but it was a really quick turnaround. I think they emailed me Friday afternoon and it was due Monday, so maybe the weekend was my saving grace haha.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anybody know when the majority of IIs will go out for downstate? Or did the majority already go out? Losing hope here
I don't ever want to give false hope, but I applied in the 2019-2020 cycle (I'm a reapplicant this year) and I received my II to Downstate in December 2019 and interviewed in late March 2020, right after the state-wide shut down in NY. I'm not sure that interview invites are all done quite yet.

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone know how interviewees can attend the general info session held the 1st Friday of every month? I have not received a link or more information on how to attend.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know how interviewees can attend the general info session held the 1st Friday of every month? I have not received a link or more information on how to attend.
I got an email with a link to the RSVP/interest form a few days before my interview, so if you haven't completed your interview yet maybe you'll receive the email around that time? They haven't sent out the actual Zoom link yet though if that what you were asking about, maybe that gets sent out closer to the day of.

For those who interviewed already, I haven't received my interview link yet but interview tm morning? Should I reach out to them or does it come later in the day? All I keep receiving is the reminder updates but without a link

For those who interviewed already, I haven't received my interview link yet but interview tm morning? Should I reach out to them or does it come later in the day? All I keep receiving is the reminder updates but without a link
I got my Zoom link the night before

Has more than 50% of downstates iis been sent out already?

Members don't see this ad :)
II received 11/10
complete 8/31
LM: 73.6 IS ORM re-applicant!

• Love
Had my interview recently but still haven't been contacted by a current student for the peer-to-peer convo. Should I email admissions and let them know or just wait a bit longer? Been almost a week now

Hey everyone. I know this was mentioned previously but i just wanted to double check that Downstate does not accept updates unless they ask for it right? Thanks again.

Hey everyone. I know this was mentioned previously but i just wanted to double check that Downstate does not accept updates unless they ask for it right? Thanks again.
After my interview, I uploaded a thank-you letter anyway. It has several categories in the doc upload section.

Anyone know when updates (Acceptances or Rejections) post II are sent out?

Anyone know what the turn around time is post II? Just wanna know if I got an R or A

Does anyone happen to know Downstate’s policy regarding post interview updates and letters of interests? This is my top choice and I have some updates worth sharing but on their document upload section I don’t see a category for updates.

Have my interview here tomorrow and have heard it's pretty chill? Is this accurate? Any tips I should focus on?

Also, how exactly does the student interview work? Is it on the same day right after the faculty interview or do they email you separately to schedule a date and time?

Have my interview here tomorrow and have heard it's pretty chill? Is this accurate? Any tips I should focus on?

Also, how exactly does the student interview work? Is it on the same day right after the faculty interview or do they email you separately to schedule a date and time?
That's accurate! They have specific questions they're required to ask you but they're all pretty standard, straight forward questions! For the student interview, the student will reach out to schedule a time that works for both of you. Good luck!

• Love
That's accurate! They have specific questions they're required to ask you but they're all pretty standard, straight forward questions! For the student interview, the student will reach out to schedule a time that works for both of you. Good luck!
Thank you!!

I interviewed a week or so ago, and just received an email asking me to answer some more essay questions (that were specific to my application and experiences). did anyone else receive a similar request? I have never heard of Downstate doing this before. (this is different from the writing assignment that we complete on interview day)
Oh interesting... I haven't interviewed, but I did get a few questions following up on my primary app, which I haven't heard happening to anyone else (please let me know if anyone else got this!) It was actually terrifying because I didn't get an email!!! Rather, I happened to notice in the portal (which I was not previously checking with any sort of regularity...) a request for additional info/clarification about a few of my activities. PSA: Everyone waiting for an II, stop reading this NOW and check your portal! It had a due date (which thankfully had not past), but not the date they posted the request, so I have no idea how long it had been up for. They were just harmless questions about some of my activities, but yeah, needless to say I was shocked. I mean, I was THRILLED that they actually read my app (I would LOVE to go here), but was surprised they had the time to ask me follow-up questions, pre-II, that honestly didn't seem all that consequential in nature.

And not to put too fine a point on it, but let's just say I will never recover from the lack of email notification lol. Can't believe I'm saying this but DOWNSTATE YOU OWE ME!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Oh interesting... I haven't interviewed, but I did get a few questions following up on my primary app, which I haven't heard happening to anyone else (please let me know if anyone else got this!) It was actually terrifying because I didn't get an email!!! Rather, I happened to notice in the portal (which I was not previously checking with any sort of regularity...) a request for additional info/clarification about a few of my activities. PSA: Everyone waiting for an II, stop reading this NOW and check your portal! It had a due date (which thankfully had not past), but not the date they posted the request, so I have no idea how long it had been up for. They were just harmless questions about some of my activities, but yeah, needless to say I was shocked. I mean, I was THRILLED that they actually read my app (I would LOVE to go here), but was surprised they had the time to ask me follow-up questions, pre-II, that honestly didn't seem all that consequential in nature.

And not to put too fine a point on it, but let's just say I will never recover from the lack of email notification lol. Can't believe I'm saying this but DOWNSTATE YOU OWE ME!!!
where was this on the portal?

where was this on the portal?
Buried, of course. Open the blue sidebar on the lefthand side —> Status —> Application Checklist

Edit: If you have nothing there, don't stress that you're missing it. It's very obvious once you know to look for it. And, like I said, I haven't heard about this happening to anyone else yet.

Last edited:
  • Wow

When was the due date if you don't mind sharing? I am wondering if the due date is the same as the application deadline (January 3rd).

When was the due date if you don't mind sharing? I am wondering if the due date is the same as the application deadline (January 3rd).
Nope, it was super arbitrary — Sometime last week, I believe? I can't keep anything straight anymore, but yeah unfortunately not Jan 3 for me, although that would have at least made sense...

Edit: Some kind person just PMed me a screenshot of their Application Status and they didn't have any action items, and on the bottom it had a generic "everything must be complete Jan 3rd" statement. However, on mine, there was a specific deadline in November. For all I know though, they could have just seen how late I submitted every other part of my app and given me a deadline 6 weeks earlier than everyone else to turn up the heat lol.

Last edited:
Is there any information anywhere about post-interview acceptance rates? This is the one school I can't find anything for online and I'm curious.

Last edited:
Any IIs recently? IS resident with 513 MCAT 3.9 GPA with no Love ORM

II earlier today as well! Scheduling for January

• Love
Interview received last night around 9:30 EST!!!! SO EXCITED! Scheduled for January

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Accepted!! I interviewed 10/27. My first MD acceptance 😭😭😭
cover2 (1).jpg

Fr? Downstate last year only released in Feb and said this year they'd release in Feb too.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Yeah sorry I meant to post in SUNY Upstate 😅.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users