You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2021-2022 Thomas Jefferson (Kimmel)
Started by wysdoc
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
They don’t reject until the end of the cycleSubmitted secondaries in early August, and submitted an update as well but I have not heard back yet pre - II. Anybody know if this school does pre II rejections / when we might hear back?
Thank you! Stats are LM 72 URMCongrats you both! What were your stats and your impression of the interview?
Interview was very conversational. Not stressful, and everyone was very welcoming!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
chumbucketorbust
Full Member
Congrats! Did they email or call?Thank you! Stats are LM 72 URM
Interview was very conversational. Not stressful, and everyone was very welcoming!
Thanks! I’m very non traditional so stats will be useless, but interview day was great. It’s all student run which was very impressive to me and seemed to highlight their student-centered approach. A lot to love about the program! The interview itself was laid back- friendly, not a stress interview or anything.Congrats you both! What were your stats and your impression of the interview?
Do they accept updates? I see something about correspondences, but does this mean updates too?
YupDo they accept updates? I see something about correspondences, but does this mean updates too?
Appears that waySo does that mean the portal will just say "under review" until the end?
neuriobioliogy
Full Member
has anyone interviewing this week gotten the link for interview day? i only got one email for the pre-interview session so far
Also just received II and submitted early July! Earliest interview date was in January.
D
deleted1075526
Seems like there is still hope! Congrats on the II’s guys
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted965595
Congrats everyone on the IIs!
Can't believe they are still in July though. I was complete end of August. I know it's not strictly chronological, but it is vaguely chronological everywhere after the initial stratification. I wonder if I was just too late 🙁
Can't believe they are still in July though. I was complete end of August. I know it's not strictly chronological, but it is vaguely chronological everywhere after the initial stratification. I wonder if I was just too late 🙁
braingeek0409
Full Member
II today! Submitted July. The earliest date was February.
D
deleted965595
Finally some action for late-Aug completion date!! 😀II today! Complete late August, got a late January II date. LM 70, ORM, OOS, no ties. Sent an update beginning of October.
Congrats!! 🙂
chumbucketorbust
Full Member
How long does it take post interview to get a response? I saw some posts from those who got an A a week after their interview
Also wondering this. Going on 4 weeks nowHow long does it take post interview to get a response? I saw some posts from those who got an A a week after their interview
Does SKMC accept letters of interest pre II?
Congrats to those receiving IIs! Complete early and… 🤣
From my digging, it looks like you will hear back once there is a committee meeting where your interviewer is in attendance. This happens between 1-6 weeks after your interview. Depending on your interviewer's personal schedule, they may be able to attend an adcom meeting shortly after the interview, or it may take longer. Historically, aside from 10/15, it looks like people get called on Wednesdays.How long does it take post interview to get a response? I saw some posts from those who got an A a week after their interview
212kindofgal
Full Member
There’s hope for early submitters
Hi! Did you email your update letter to them? I can’t seem to find a place to upload PDFs on the portal.II today! Complete late August, got a late January II date. LM 70, ORM, OOS, no ties. Sent an update beginning of October.
Last edited:
There’s hope for war
Hi! Did you email your update letter to them? I can’t seem to find a place to upload PDFs on the portal.
I sent mine to the admissions email and Dr. Losasso's email
chumbucketorbust
Full Member
Thanks! Only need to have stress poops on hump day nowFrom my digging, it looks like you will hear back once there is a committee meeting where your interviewer is in attendance. This happens between 1-6 weeks after your interview. Depending on your interviewer's personal schedule, they may be able to attend an adcom meeting shortly after the interview, or it may take longer. Historically, aside from 10/15, it looks like people get called on Wednesdays.
NaKATPase413
ORM, CA RESIDENT, LM 76.7, WARS 79 (Readjusted)
Any new II’s today?
sassypug101
Full Member
I really want to send an update letter here and re-express my interest but I don't have a whole bunch to update. I have increased my research hours by a lot and am starting a new tutoring position in January. Do you guys think it's worth it? I don't wanna wait too long since they're scheduling so far out for interviews :/
NaKATPase413
ORM, CA RESIDENT, LM 76.7, WARS 79 (Readjusted)
I would go ahead. If you have something important to say then I would say it. I doubt it would hurt you.I really want to send an update letter here and re-express my interest but I don't have a whole bunch to update. I have increased my research hours by a lot and am starting a new tutoring position in January. Do you guys think it's worth it? I don't wanna wait too long since they're scheduling so far out for interviews :/
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted1106140
.
Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, Jeff is rolling.Got an II. Sent an update.
Is the school rolling admissions? If not, when is the acceptance day?
congrats!!! complete date?Got an II. Sent an update.
Is the school rolling admissions? If not, when is the acceptance day?
D
deleted1106140
End of June lol. I think the update brought my app back from the dead.congrats!!! complete date?
you give us early secondary completes hope. i sent an update 2 weeks ago. hoping your interview goes well!!End of June lol. I think the update brought my app back from the dead.
OOS II just now! Complete mid July, and LizzyM of 70.
Did you send an update?
Got an II. Sent an update.
+1. Earliest availability for interviews is now February
Nope! No update 🙂Did you send an update?
NaKATPase413
ORM, CA RESIDENT, LM 76.7, WARS 79 (Readjusted)
Does Kimmel, with the exception of Delaware, tend to favor residents of the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic? I'm worried that being from California is going to work against me.
Learning that acceptance calls are usually on Wednesdays have made my Wednesdays the least productive day of the week by faaaar
When did ya interview?Just got the acceptance call today - ecstatic!
September 22ndWhen did ya interview?
Big congrats!!September 22nd
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not just Kimmel. You should be worried about everywhere. Applicants from CA have monumentally tougher odds than applicants from everywhere else. See here Medical School Acceptance Rates: In-State vs Out-of-State. No matter where you're from, the out-of-state acceptance rate for the top 100 schools is basically around 5%. But residents of every state other than CA all have one or more in-state options with rates generally ranging between 15% and 35%. And then there's CA, where the in-state acceptance rate is about 4%. The combination of 1) too many applicants and 2) insanely selective and high ranking state schools (UCSF, UCLA, UCSD, and others) delivers zero advantage to Californians, whereas residents elsewhere have one or more much easier option. I don't think most non-Californian applicants fully understand how easy they have it relative to you. If UCLA and UCSF had in-state acceptance rates like University Mass (22%), University of Illinois (21%), or University of 'take your pick', it would be fair.Does Kimmel, with the exception of Delaware, tend to favor residents of the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic? I'm worried that being from California is going to work against me.
username checks out lolNot just Kimmel. You should be worried about everywhere. Applicants from CA have monumentally tougher odds than applicants from everywhere else. See here Medical School Acceptance Rates: In-State vs Out-of-State. No matter where you're from, the out-of-state acceptance rate for the top 100 schools is basically around 5%. But residents of every state other than CA all have one or more in-state options with rates generally ranging between 15% and 35%. And then there's CA, where the in-state acceptance rate is about 4%. The combination of 1) too many applicants and 2) insanely selective and high ranking state schools (UCSF, UCLA, UCSD, and others) delivers zero advantage to Californians, whereas residents elsewhere have one or more much easier option. I don't think most non-Californian applicants fully understand how easy they have it relative to you. If UCLA and UCSF had in-state acceptance rates like University Mass (22%), University of Illinois (21%), or University of 'take your pick', it would be fair.
I heard that medical schools do favor residents of their state or neighboring state (region) whether they are public or private. Residents of California is particularly challenging as there are not as many medical schools in the west.Does Kimmel, with the exception of Delaware, tend to favor residents of the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic? I'm worried that being from California is going to work against me.
They probably do to a certain degree. Most state programs want people from the area who will stay and practice in the area. Private schools probably care less about people staying and practicing in the area, but think people from the area are most likely to attend, and therefore a better option to give an II/Acceptance than an out of state applicant that's never been to the area before.I heard that medical schools do favor residents of their state or neighboring state (region) whether they are public or private. Residents of California is particularly challenging as there are not as many medical schools in the west.
D
deleted555445
At the same time I've heard that schools are actually more likely to seriously consider California apps because they know there's a low chance they'll even have the option to stay in-state. Kinda the opposite of Texas applicants where they are less likely to be considered by schools across the country because so many Texans stay in Texas.I heard that medical schools do favor residents of their state or neighboring state (region) whether they are public or private. Residents of California is particularly challenging as there are not as many medical schools in the west.